• Published 28th Apr 2013
  • 9,675 Views, 1,537 Comments

Working Towards The Future - Dasponi



It's been a week since Rainbow Dash saved Scootaloo after she jumped in to Ghastly Gorge and Rainbow Dash is keen for her to go back to school, as well as make good on a promise.

  • ...
15
 1,537
 9,675

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 89; She's Scared

Star Shine and Twilight reappeared in roughly the same spot they had occupied in the crowd. Thankfully it was still a vacant space and they didn't happen to appear on top of somepony. The pop was certainly loud enough to distract everypony from their chattering and draw attention to them. All eyes were quickly on them. Pinkie Pie was quickly next to them.

“Hey, where'd you go? Anywhere nice? That didn't take long. Why'd you go?” Pinkie Pie asked very quickly.

“We...er...we went to see Rainbow Dash and Scoots to see what they're up to.” Star Shine replied.

“Oh, well, Shining Armor wants you by the way. I think you should go talk to him. Sounds important. Is everything a Prince has to say important? Or does everything a Prince say have to BE important? Oooh this could take a while.” Pinkie Pie said exuberantly, rubbing her forehead as she tried to wrap her mind her own dilemma. Star Shine stared at her dumbfounded and Twilight let her be. It was better to let her work out things like this on her own. Any distractions or additional information would result in the process taking longer and rarely ever shorter. Star Shine snapped back to reality and looked around for signs of Shining Armor. It didn't take long to see the particularly large white stallion walking towards him. Star Shine walked forwards himself to meet Shining Armor half way.

“Pinkie Pie said you wanted to talk to me but can it wait? There's something I really have to do.” Star Shine asked. Shining Armor nodded in reply.

“I guess. There's something else you really have to do but you've got a little time.” Shining Armor replied. Star Shine breathed a sigh of relief. The chattering started up again and perhaps had some renewed vigour now that the pair had talked, albeit very briefly. Star Shine looked around frantically for something and, having not found what he might have been looking for, shot up into the air.

“You'll tire yourself out doing that!” Pinkie Pie shouted up at him. “Seriously, stop!” she added for good measure. Star Shine ignored her warnings and darted about through the air. It looked like he was still looking for something.

“Any idea what he's doing?” Shining Armor asked Twilight, who by now had made her way to her brother's side. Twilight shook her head.

“Nope.” she replied simply as Star Shine continued to fly around. Shining Armor had been a little worried that the guy might be trying to get away from him at first. It had quickly become apparent that wasn't what was happening at all. Now he almost wished he knew what Star Shine was looking for. It would have made the process faster if they could all look. Star Shine let out a small squeak of delight as he found what he was looking for. He flew off a short distance and returned, perhaps quite dangerously, pushing a storm cloud. He flew next to it, reared, and bucked it as hard as he could without putting his hooves through it. That would have ended badly. A loud crack thundered through the air and silenced the crowd around him. They all turned their eyes to him which unnerved him a bit. He tried his hardest to hide behind the storm cloud. He had wanted their attention, which is why he had made the loud distracting noise in the first place, but he didn't realise just how much attention he was going to attract. Still, this was what he had come back to do and he had to do it. He stood on the storm cloud and cleared his throat.

“H...Hello everypony. For those who don't know, my name is Star Shine and I'm Scootaloo's flight instructor.” Star Shine said. He stammered a little at first before coming into stride and holding a little more confidence. Pretty much the whole town was listening to him. He didn't want to screw that up.

“I thought you were her dad?!” a voice called out from the crowd below.

“I thought you were Rainbow Dash's coltfriend!” called out another, followed by a laugh that went through the entire crowd. Star Shine, to his credit, rubbed his mane sheepishly and batted off the comments.

“Well I'm neither of those right now, but maybe in time.” he said, laughing nervously. “For now I know that there's a little girl sat at home who's worried about how you might all react to her. A lot of things have happened, and a lot of stuff has come out.” Star Shine continued.

“What the hay is he doing?” Twilight asked to nopony in particular. Pinkie Pie still responded by shushing her.

“I can't speak for all of you of course, but I know I still love her very much. Nothing is going to change that.” Star Shine said, blushing a little.

“Are we talking about Rainbow Dash or Scootaloo?” came another cat call from the crowd. This one was followed by more laughter than the other one. Pinkie Pie performed a spectacular gravity defying jump and landed on top of Star Shine. He let out a grunt of pain as she landed on him but otherwise stayed upright and didn't fall through the cloud thanks to the additional weight. He made a mental note to ask Pinkie to never do something like that again.

“Come on everypony, the guy's here pouring his heart out and there's a scared little filly at home. Can you let him talk?” Pinkie Pie asked the crowd below. Star Shine heard a few apologies come from the crowd. With the way a lot of ponies were shuffling about it looked like there were a few more apologies than that.

“Uhhh...thanks.” Star Shine said dumbly to Pinkie Pie.

“Don't mention it.” she replied with a smile. She jumped down on to the ground and landed on her feet perfectly. Star Shine had managed to reach the point where all of Pinkie Pie's friends eventually made it to; he had accepted that he would never be able to understand how she did half the things she did and he should give up trying. It made life a lot easier.

“As I was saying...” Star Shine began, regaining his composure and clearing his throat. “Scootaloo is sat at home right now. She's really worried about how you guys are going to react and she's worried that some of you might take what you read seriously. She told you herself what really happened and how she really feels. If you think you're going to like her less, or treat her differently, then I ask that you please don't. I've been where she is and I know the pain it brings. I was always afraid of how other ponies might react if they knew the truth and it drove a wedge between me and my friends. I only had one real friend and even she didn't know anything...” Star Shine continued. It was getting a little difficult for him to speak. He was saying things that he'd never really said. Things he really wished Rainbow Dash was around to hear. Pinkie Pie, Rarity and Twilight were looking up at him with sad eyes. Shining Armor couldn't resist smiling a little. The colt in the air was pretty charismatic. “I never really let her get close. I never allowed myself to get close to her. Then she learned the truth and it was okay. I didn't have to lie anymore and I didn't have to pretend anything. I started being more open with her and I started allowing myself to feel how I had before. Luckily for me I think she still has the same feelings too...” he continued on. Shining Armor's smile was starting to fade. Star Shine was dragging this on and he'd lost track of his train of thought. Right now it was more like he was voicing his own feelings as he realised them. Pinkie Pie jumped back up on to Star Shine's back.

“That's nice and all but you're supposed to be focusing on Scootaloo!” she hissed into his ear before dropping back down to the ground. Star Shine shook his head to clear it.

“Right...right...sorry about that.” Star Shine called down to the ground. “As I was saying, I was worried and Scootaloo is too now. If you really believe what Diamond Tiara wrote about Scootaloo then read everything over again and remember that Scootaloo isn't lying. If you won't treat her any differently, or if you care more about her now than you did before, then I think it's worth letting her know that. I can spend hours reassuring her but nothing would compare to just five minutes of you guys letting her know how you feel. Whether it's good or bad, I don't want her to be worrying about it. If it's good, then that's great. If it's bad, then she can accept it and move on faster. That's all. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go home.” Star Shine concluded. “Well...Rainbow Dash's.” he added, correcting himself. Star Shine floated to the ground as ponies started stamping the ground in approval. He was very surprised by the reaction. He was expecting some approval but certainly not that much. He landed on the ground and started walking towards Rainbow Dash's. He was followed by Twilight, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, and Shining Armor. Star Shine looked back after about a minute and saw that he was also being followed by maybe every single pony who had been in the crowd. Scootaloo was definitely in for a big surprise when he got home for what was hopefully the last time that day. Shining Armor made his way to Star Shine's side.

“We've got a bit of a journey ahead of us, and we need to talk.” Shining Armor said.

“Sure, what's this about anyway?” Star Shine replied with a smile. He felt there wasn't anything to be nervous about. Nothing he could think about anyway.

“It's about Scootaloo.” Shining Armor said. Star Shine's ears twitched. Shining Armor definitely had his attention with that. “Is it true that she ran away from an orphanage and that neither you or Rainbow Dash have officially adopted her?” Shining Armor asked. Star Shine nodded.

“Yeah. I won't deny we haven't thought about it. I've got no clue where her orphanage is though.” Star Shine replied. Shining Armor sighed a little. He had hoped to be wrong for once.

“To be honest I should probably take her in too. I can't have a kid running around without a legal guardian.” Shining Armor said sadly. He didn't want to separate them. If it was up to him he would just leave them be. Unfortunately it wasn't his decision to make.

“I...see...” Star Shine replied dejectedly. The wind had really been taken out of his sails by that.

“Do you really have to do that?” Twilight asked, butting her way into the conversation. Her and the other girls weren't too far behind and had heard everything. “Scootaloo's really happy with Rainbow Dash. She's wanted to live with her pretty much since she got here.” Twilight added.

“She really has. She looked ever so happy when she was in my shop. I've never seen her like that.” Rarity added to the defense.

“Splitting them up just sounds so cruel. Why'd you have to be cruel Shiny?” Pinkie Pie asked. Star Shine smiled and Shining Armor relented under the verbal assault.

“I'm sure they'd make a great family and I don't want to split them up. It's just if they want to stay a family then they need to make it official, that's all.” Shining Armor offered as his own defense.

“I get that, I really do. Just give me some time to find her orphanage please? It's pretty hard because she barely remembers anything from then. Heck she probably...repressed...it.” Star Shine replied. His voice and body stopped as his mind went into overdrive. He knew a little about psychology as well after having dealt with emotionally troubled foals. No matter how much something is repressed a part of it remains in the brain. It could manifest as anything but was commonly an apprehensive feeling for seemingly no reason when confronted with something that would be a strong trigger.

“I guess given the circumstances I can give you some time.” Shining Armor said. Star Shine wasn't really listening.

“She...she repressed it. I think...I'm pretty sure...I know where her orphanage is.” Star Shine said slowly as the realisation came to him. “It's in Canterlot.”

Author's Note:

I don't know what it is about Openoffice but I'm able to write stuff pretty quick on there. Even though this was a pretty long chapter it only took about an hour to an hour and a half to write. Normally I average at about 1000 words an hour and updates can take up to two hours as I try and figure things out. Maybe I just know the direction everything is going.

Anyway, hopefully this chapter here should settle a few questions before what may very well be the last chapter this Friday. Scootaloo was very apprehensive and nervous in Canterlot because she had been there before but didn't realise it. For that to make sense you have to ignore a little canon because she was there in Hearth's Warming Eve but I can get around that too. I can just say that she was in a different part of Canterlot then. A part she didn't recognise. That works, right? I can even work it into the story.

Also, Star Shine and Rainbow Dash are not *suddenly* in love (oddly enough a complaint I didn't get), they're allowing themselves to feel things they had long since repressed. Or at least Star Shine is. He's still not sure how Rainbow Dash feels. She herself buried those feelings a long time ago when he rejected her.

Also I hope that I didn't mix up Star Shine and Shining Armor's names again. It would be a miracle as they even have a chat in this chapter.

PreviousChapters Next