• Published 28th Apr 2013
  • 9,649 Views, 1,537 Comments

Working Towards The Future - Dasponi



It's been a week since Rainbow Dash saved Scootaloo after she jumped in to Ghastly Gorge and Rainbow Dash is keen for her to go back to school, as well as make good on a promise.

  • ...
15
 1,537
 9,649

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 77; Whose Fault?

Diamond Tiara woke up early Sunday morning as the sun was rising. She hopped out of bed and got ready for the busy day she had ahead of her. While she had been working for the Foal Free Press she had recently gotten herself a very small job with the Ponyville Times thanks to Featherweight going to bat for her with his father. With how Featherweight had been talking about her, he had approached Filthy Rich and asked if she could do some paid work for her a couple of hours a week. It had really paid into her favour and allowed her to get the story printed in the Ponyville Times the day before instead of putting it in the Foal Free Press. Either would have done but it was impossible to deny how much more impact it had by being put in the Ponyville Times. Having to drop the Gabby Gums moniker had made things a little difficult but she had managed to get Feather Quill to write something for her and had managed to bring back Gabby Gums for the new story that she had already submitted to them the day before, ensuring it would be published today. Not that Feather Quill actually knew the story was in there. She had put it in herself without anypony realising. They wouldn’t have approved of what she did. Not until they had read it anyway. Once they knew everything, then they would understand why she had to put it in how she did and couldn’t just ask them to do it. Diamond Tiara heard a knock at her door and opened it, revealing Firefly. He was wearing an apron and smiling at her.

“Mornin’ Miss. Ready for breakfast?” he asked. Diamond Tiara nodded, grabbed her saddlebags, and followed him downstairs to have her breakfast before starting her day properly.

The same was happening on the outskirts of town with Scootaloo coming too. She got out of her bed and went to the window as she always did when she woke up. This time Rainbow Dash was practicing like she always would be. She could also hear something that she didn’t recognise. It took her a second or two to realise that it was music and for some reason Rainbow Dash was practicing to music. Scootaloo shoved her head out the window and shouted up to Rainbow Dash.

“Morning Dashie! What’s up with the music?” Scootaloo shouted to be heard over the music. Rainbow Dash landed on the ceiling to turn the music off and made her way to Scootaloo.

“Morning Scoots.” Rainbow Dash said, giving Scootaloo a quick kiss on the forehead. “Star Shine played music for me once and it got stuck in my head so I asked him if I could borrow it.” Rainbow Dash explained. She thought the song sounded a little cheesy but she couldn’t deny how stuck in her head it had gotten.

“Oh, when did he play you some music?” Scootaloo asked, confused. She had of course been asleep at the time. Rainbow Dash had told her they would occasionally talk when she was asleep and she expected that. She had no clue that they might have gotten up to other things though.

“It was after the Canterlot dinner. We did some...dancing…” Rainbow Dash replied, a small blush forming on her cheeks at the memory.

“You danced?” Scootaloo asked, a little surprised. Rainbow Dash had never seemed like the type to dance to her. At least not to something slow and sappy like she was playing before. She didn’t seem like the type to enjoy that kind of music at all really.

“What’s wrong with me dancing?” Rainbow Dash asked, a little indignant. She knew she had a reputation for being a tomboy and not liking girly things but didn’t consider dancing to be all that girly. She could enjoy things like that if she wanted to.

“Nothing.” Scootaloo said hurriedly, still suppressing a giggle. She disguised it as a cough and regained her composure. “So where is the lucky guy who stole your first dance?” Scootaloo asked, teasing Rainbow Dash. She looked around for any sign of Star Shine and couldn’t see any. “Is he still in your bed?” Scootaloo asked, utterly failing to suppress her giggle this time. Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes and waited for Scootaloo to get it all out of her system. It took a little longer than Rainbow Dash would have liked it to take.

“I don’t know where he is, he’s probably sleeping on the couch.” Rainbow Dash answered after Scootaloo had contained herself. “Sleeping on the bed was a one time thing.” she explained. Scootaloo giggled a little again.

“Okay then, I’ll go see if I can find him.” Scootaloo said, turning and leaving her room.

“Yeah yeah...you go do that.” Rainbow Dash said quietly, still a little indignant. She floated up and continued her routine. A few minutes later she noticed Derpy fly past, signalling that some mail had just been delivered. As it was a Sunday, and there was no post on a Sunday, it could have only been the Sunday paper. Shortly after that her routine was interrupted when she heard a high pitched shriek that could have only come from Scootaloo. Rainbow Dash flew inside the house as fast as she could and headed downstairs. She thought maybe Scootaloo had fallen down the stairs before remembering that Scootaloo had done that before and not hurt herself thanks to the very soft landing that the cloud provided. Rainbow Dash entered the living room and saw Scootaloo in a state of utter panic. She was breathing heavily and backing away from Star Shine who was trying to calm her down and doing a very very bad job of it.

“What is it? What’s wrong?!” Rainbow Dash asked, jumping over to Scootaloo herself. Scootaloo backed away from Rainbow Dash too and even shrieked at her.

“YOU! THIS IS YOUR FAULT! I THOUGHT YOU GOT RID OF THAT THING! WHY WOULD YOU STILL HAVE IT?! WHY!?” Scootaloo screamed before running upstairs, crying heavily. It was the most distraught Rainbow Dash had ever seen her. Rainbow Dash tried flying straight upstairs but Star Shine grabbed her tail with his teeth, holding her in place. He pointed a hoof at the table, which had a newspaper on it, and released Rainbow Dash.

“Before you go up to her, you need to see why she’s so upset.” Star Shine said. Rainbow Dash wasn’t sure she wanted to know. Scootaloo was mad at her, so so mad. She resolved to get her answers, and approached the table. “She’s gone too far this time. Way too far.” Star Shine muttered under his breath. Rainbow Dash had never seen him actually angry before either. Rainbow Dash could barely believe her eyes as she started reading.

Scootaloo’s Secrets Revealed

By Gabby Gums

Well it looks like I certainly made it to the big time doesn’t it? Whoever thought they would see Gabby Gums posting for the good old Ponyville Times. Not me, that’s for sure. This isn’t about me though, this is about Scootaloo. You might remember her as the pony who assaulted that sweet little filly Diamond Tiara. Well I can tell you a lot more about her than you ever knew before. I’m going to show you something that she showed me. At first it made me feel very very sorry for her and it may do the same to you, but keep in mind that this isn’t the truth. I’ve since found out what really happened.

After that came what had upset Scootaloo so much. There, for the whole of Equestria to see, was her suicide note. Diamond Tiara must have actually come into the house and found it. This was what was Rainbow Dash’s fault. If she had just gotten rid of that damn note then this wouldn’t have happened. Scootaloo was blaming Rainbow Dash for it, and Rainbow Dash was blaming herself for it too. If that wasn’t bad enough there was more after the note. Rainbow Dash continued reading.

Touching, isn’t it? To think that poor little filly was holding so much inside her and that so much had gone on for her. The poor thing was orphaned, teased, and eventually ended up trying to take drastic measures. I can say it definitely brought a tear to my eye. There’s just one problem with it.

It is, for the most part, a bunch of lies and exaggerations. While it is true that yes, Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon may have teased her a little, most of it was gentle. The reason the other children laughed along was because it wasn’t anything really bad. Cheerilee would occasionally let the teasing slide but when it became really bad she did get involved. It certainly wasn’t bad enough to justify Scootaloo attacking Diamond Tiara. She also didn’t attack Silver Spoon. This was also hardly Scootaloo’s first record of violence and aggression. I went to great lengths to track down not just her father, but the orphanage that Scootaloo was taken to. It was quite interesting to talk to Scootaloo’s father. I tried to get him to talk to Scootaloo again but he wanted no part of it. He called her a problem child and explained the reasons that she was put up for adoption. To hear Scootaloo tell the story, she had a tragic past, but this is not the case. Scootaloo would constantly lie to her mother and cause fights between her and her father. It’s true she can’t fly but her father tried on many occasions to teach her. She wasn’t “abandoned” because she couldn’t fly, she strained the relationship between her father and mother and in the end she became too much to handle. Her mother never wanted to give up on her but her father pleaded with her. They just couldn’t handle her and she deserved somepony who could. So they made the most difficult decision of their lives and gave her up.

She wasn’t much better in the orphanage. She would avoid the other children and start arguments with the ones who tried to approach her. The staff there tried to teach her to fly too but they also failed because she would refuse to listen to them and do what they told her to do. While she is flightless, all indicators say it is her own fault that she can’t. She also became very possessive of the scooter you see her with now. This scooter actually isn’t hers as the note says. She would refuse to share it with the other children and one at least one occasion she did attack one of the other children when they tried to play with it.

When you think of Scootaloo, and you think of this, keep in mind the facts and keep in mind what is really true. Scootaloo may have had some problems in the past but a lot of them are her fault, and it sure isn’t enough to justify all that she’s done.

Author's Note:

Random note; "Whose" is a very strange word. Well here you have it, one of the major events. At first I wasn't sure how to go about this and I'm still not massively sure. At first Diamond Tiara was going to just post the note, and then I thought to myself that no matter how insane she is, she wouldn't believe that it would end any way other than the entire town sympathising with Scootaloo. Then after a while I got the better idea to have her manipulate the information within the note without actually publishing the note. This way she would show Scootaloo to be some kind of problem child who was responsible for her own problems. Then yesterday I got the idea to have her do both; Publish the note AND manipulate the information in it. I felt it would actually have more of an effect that way, but when I went about writing it I wasn't so sure anymore.

Still, this is what came to me, and I trust my ability as a writer and I also trust you guys to be gentle if you don't like this stuff. Don't start hating on me for the plot though, only hate for content :twilightsmile: Wait until the plot is finished before you start tearing into me for that.

PreviousChapters Next