• Published 28th Apr 2013
  • 9,649 Views, 1,537 Comments

Working Towards The Future - Dasponi



It's been a week since Rainbow Dash saved Scootaloo after she jumped in to Ghastly Gorge and Rainbow Dash is keen for her to go back to school, as well as make good on a promise.

  • ...
15
 1,537
 9,649

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 33; What Did You Do?

Rainbow Dash made her way home after work. She had been chewed out by her team for being late and had worked harder than usual to make up for it and had stayed behind late at work too, trusting Star Shine to look after Scootaloo while she was gone. She was looking forward to getting home and having a nice, quiet nap and a peaceful few hours before heading back to work for her evening shift. She was to be utterly disappointed.

She arrived home, using the front door for once, and walked into a veritable disaster area. The house was a mess and Star Shine and Scootaloo were nowhere to be found. Rainbow Dash took a few steps towards the stairs but stopped when she saw something small and orange tumble down down them. She recognised what fell as Scootaloo and ran over to help her.

“Hey it’s Rainbow. Dash’s back!” Scootaloo squealed before Rainbow Dash could say anything. Scootaloo jumped up and wrapped her forelegs around Rainbow Dash, hugging her tight.

“Hey Squirt. Aren’t you hurt? You just fell down the stairs.” Rainbow Dash said, looking Scootaloo over to check for injuries. She noticed Scootaloo was wearing the brace on her wings again.

“Nah I’m fine. House made of clouds, remember? Soft landing.” Scootaloo replied coolly, shrugging off any potential damage. Star Shine appeared at the top of the stairs.

“Rainbow? Hey, welcome back! Wow, we totally lost track of time.” he said, walking down the stairs. “You okay?” he asked Scootaloo when he reached her. He had seen her fall down the stairs.

“Yeah she’s fine. Apparently a house made of cloud means you always have a soft landing.” Rainbow Dash replied nonchalantly. “Now, what the HAY DID YOU DO TO MY HOUSE?!” Rainbow Dash shrieked, her voice rising as she motioned around the room at the mess.

“Oh...that...We were playing hide and seek.” Star Shine said, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly as he surveyed the damage. It was worse than he thought.

“How can you do THIS with hide and seek?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“I was hiding really well. Star Shine had to really look to find me. He came up with a fun game too.” Scootaloo piped up. Rainbow Dash sighed in exasperation and sat down on the floor, lifting up a foreleg to support the still dangling Scootaloo.

“Let me guess; he had you hide in the mess?” Rainbow Dash asked sardonically. Scootaloo giggled.

“No, he told me to wear the brace and buzz my wings. He’d follow the buzzing to find me. Pretty smart huh?” Scootaloo explained, looking up at Star Shine and smiling.

“I’m sorry about the mess Rainbow. Like I said we lost track of time. We were going to clean it up. We will clean it up, won’t we Scoots?” Star Shine said, leaning down. Scootaloo nodded and hopped down from Rainbow Dash. She stood next to Star Shine and saluted Rainbow Dash. Star Shine joined in and Rainbow Dash couldn’t help but laugh a little at the sight.

“Alright guys. I’ve had a really busy day, so I’m going to hit the hay for an hour or so. I want this place to be clean by the time I wake up. Got that?” Rainbow Dash said, staring into the eyes of Star Shine and Scootaloo.

“Ma’am yes ma’am!” they said in unison, giving her another salute. Rainbow Dash nodded and walked up the stairs, trying not to slip on anything that had been left on them. Scootaloo and Star Shine continued staring forward until Rainbow Dash was up the stairs and then they burst out laughing at the ridiculousness of what they had just done.

“So much for me staying here a little longer. She won’t let me stay if this is what we do.” Star Shine said when the laughter had subsided. He started moving around the room and collecting the mess, as well as putting things back where they belonged.

“I think she’ll be okay. She looked really tired. I bet she’ll feel better after her nap.” Scootaloo reassured him, joining him in cleaning up the room. “She wouldn’t have known if you’d just checked a clock anyway. She was late back and we still didn’t clean up in time!” Scootaloo added. She sounded angry but she was still trying to hold back a laugh.

“Me? I was busy looking for you. YOU should have checked a clock while you were hiding.” Star Shine countered, pointing an accusatory hoof at Scootaloo.

“But then I wouldn’t be hiding would I? It’s all your fault anyway.” Scootaloo replied, kicking a ball of paper at Star Shine that bounced off of his head.

“My fault? How is it my fault?” Star Shine replied. He wanted to kick the ball back at her but he wanted to clean up and avoid the wrath of Rainbow Dash more.

“It was your idea to play hide and seek!” Scootaloo argued. Star Shine stayed silent and carried on cleaning. Scootaloo had a point and he didn’t have a comeback. “It was a lot of fun though.” Scootaloo added after a few minutes silence. She was a little worried she had upset Star Shine, having got a taste of how much he could blame himself for things earlier.

“It sure was. But come on, we’ve got to get this all cleaned up.” Star Shine replied, smiling at Scootaloo. Scootaloo smiled back and together they continued to clean up. When they cleaned up the kitchen Star Shine took a break every few seconds to prepare a meal ready for Rainbow Dash when she woke up. At the very least it might have earned him a little more forgiveness. Between the pair of them, Scootaloo and Star Shine were able to clean up all the mess. Scootaloo braved going up to Rainbow Dash’s room when the meal that Star Shine was preparing was finished. Altogether it had been about an hour since Rainbow Dash had started her nap.

“Rainbow?” Scootaloo said nervously as she made her way into Rainbow Dash’s room.

“Mmm?” Rainbow Dash mumbled, moving her head in the direction the noise had come from. She gave a large yawn and shook her head to wake herself up more.

“We finished cleaning up, and Star Shine made you dinner. Sorry about the mess.” Scootaloo said. Rainbow Dash reached out a hoof from under the cover of her bed and patted Scootaloo.

“Don’t worry about it Scoots. I’m blaming him.” Rainbow Dash replied, giggling. “Sorry I yelled.” she added somberly. Scootaloo walked up to Rainbow Dash and nuzzled her.

“It’s okay. But Shine made dinner for you and it’s getting cold.” Scootaloo replied. Rainbow Dash sighed and worked her way out of the bed. She yawned again, had a good stretch, and together her and Scootaloo walked downstairs to the kitchen where Star Shine was waiting for them. This time Star Shine had made a pizza for them and Rainbow Dash could smell that he was hiding an apple pie somewhere. Star Shine smiled nervously at Rainbow Dash as she sat down. He wasn’t aware of her mood and there was a chance she could still be mad at him.

“Thanks. For cleaning and cooking. Oh and watching Scoots all day.” Rainbow Dash said as she sat down. Scootaloo sat down afterwards, filling up the table.

“We had fun didn’t we Scoots?” Star Shine asked, looking across at Scootaloo. She smiled and nodded in reply. “Sorry about the mess though. We really were going to clean it up.” he added, looking across at Rainbow Dash.

“I know you would. I just had a really busy day at work. I can get pretty cranky without a nap.” Rainbow Dash said sheepishly.

“I had no idea. Now if everypony is done feeling guilty, the food is getting cold.” Star Shine said, motioning down at the food on the table. Rainbow Dash’s stomach growled. She gave a small laugh and then happily tucked into the food. Scootaloo and Star Shine joined her after. In no time at all the food had been eaten. Star Shine announced he had made a dessert too and disappeared into the living room. He returned and produced the apple pie that Rainbow Dash had smelled earlier. Star Shine had left it to cool in the living room so he could surprise Rainbow Dash with it. There was the chance she would see it on her way down the stairs, but he was trusting Scootaloo to take her directly to the kitchen. Star Shine served it up and Rainbow Dash tried a piece.

“It’s not bad, but Applejack’s is better.” she critiqued.

“I agree.” Scootaloo said, nodding after trying a piece herself.

“Oh? Who’s Applejack?” Star Shine asked. He was hoping for a bit more approval of his apple pie.

“A friend of mine who does wonders with apples. I guess growing all the apples that Ponyville eats has something to do with that.” Rainbow Dash replied.

“One pony grows all of Ponyville’s apples?” Star Shine, eyes wide in amazement.

“Don’t be stupid, stupid.” Rainbow Dash replied, giggling. “One FAMILY grows all of Ponyville’s apples.”

“Ohhhh...” Star Shine replied, amazed not at the thought of one pony growing all the apples, but at his own stupidity. Scootaloo let out a giggle. “There is something else actually...” Star Shine began, looking over at Scootaloo and being reminded of something.

“So you buttered me up with food to get something?” Rainbow replied, putting down the piece of pie she was about to eat. She didn’t want to eat it if it was a bribe.

“Actually I was just being nice and thoughtful. But I was wondering if I could stay here for another night? I’ve been so busy with Scootaloo today I haven’t had time to go to the bank or a hotel.” Star Shine explained. Rainbow Dash looked over at Scootaloo for her opinion and she smiled and nodded her approval of Star Shine staying.

“Alright, you get another night. Try not to make this a habit though and if you insist on taking Scootaloo to school then watch what you say. Got that?” Rainbow Dash replied. Star Shine nodded solemnly. “Now if we’re all done eating...” Rainbow Dash began. Scootaloo and Star Shine snapped to attention. Rainbow Dash looked at Scootaloo first. “Scoots, I want you to take a bath before bed. I’ll be up soon, I just want to ask Star something first.” Scootaloo gave a salute and hopped down before running upstairs. Not long after Rainbow Dash and Star Shine heard the sound of running water as Scootaloo began running her bath. Star Shine was a little scared at the prospect of being left alone with Rainbow Dash and some unknown question.

“So, what can I do for you?” Star Shine asked nervously. Rainbow Dash approached him and Star Shine felt his heartbeat quicken. He was more frightened than anything else, suspecting it could only be something bad if she had gotten rid of Scootaloo first.

“Relax ya idiot.” Rainbow Dash said, tapping Star Shine’s shoulder as she reached him. Star Shine let out a nervous laugh and felt his heart rate slowly go back down. “I’m just wondering what you did to Scoots.”

“What do you mean?” Star Shine asked, confused.

“You saw how happy she was when the two of you were playing. I haven’t seen her that happy in a while. I didn’t think she’d be like that for a long time. With either of us. Whatever you’re doing, it’s working, and I want to know what it is.” Rainbow Dash explained.

“Oh that? That’s easy. I’m a complete idiot.” Star Shine replied simply. Rainbow Dash giggled.

“Not disagreeing about that, but how’s that help?”

“By being stupid I make her forget her problems. I had to remind her about the brace. She totally forgot about flying if you ask me. Turns out there was something she wanted more than to fly, but I doubt she’s realised it yet.” Star Shine replied.

“What’s that?” Rainbow Dash asked. Now it was her turn to be confused. She thought that flying was all that Scootaloo ever wanted. She had actually jumped to her possible death over it.

“To not be alone. I do what I can to show her she’s not alone. I don’t let her dwell on her problems and she actually forgets them for a while. I think she’s the same with her friends. Maybe you should ask her about it, and not me.”

“I might just do that. Thanks.” Rainbow Dash said. She turned around and walked to the kitchen door. “For being there for her.” she added as she left the kitchen and went upstairs to the bathroom.

Author's Note:

Sorry about the lateness of this update, although you might not really have noticed anyway. I've had myself a busy day and as a result this hasn't really been edited much. There are going to be three updates this week and after that we're back at school! The updates this week are going to be kind of cute but will focus on Scootaloo and the way she thinks and feels about things, much like the last one was. There's going to be mild Star Shine and Rainbow Dash but it really is mostly Scootaloo and ScootaDash.

No...seriously...I mean it this time. As always, enjoy! And I never guarantee quality.

PreviousChapters Next