• Published 28th Apr 2013
  • 9,649 Views, 1,537 Comments

Working Towards The Future - Dasponi



It's been a week since Rainbow Dash saved Scootaloo after she jumped in to Ghastly Gorge and Rainbow Dash is keen for her to go back to school, as well as make good on a promise.

  • ...
15
 1,537
 9,649

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 24; Twilight Returns

Sunday was a fairly normal, average, and overall boring day. Much like most Sundays. Scootaloo wanted to try flying again but Star Shine insisted it was still too soon to test her wingpower again and there was no point giving her a flying lesson when she wouldn’t be able to fly. He might have tried to teach her some basics and things that don’t require flight, but without that natural instinct to fly she might not have gotten it and it would have potentially depressed her. He had worked far too hard in the past few days to go about depressing her now. Scootaloo was still wearing the brace on her wings in the manor and a few hours after eating lunch she noticed something strange. Her, Rainbow Dash and Star Shine were sat in the living room. Rainbow Dash was reading a Daring Do book, Star Shine was reading The Foal Free Press (the paper scaled down after Gabby Gums left but it was never just a school newspaper again, and now even had a Sunday edition) and Scootaloo herself was redoing her homework. Star Shine had taken a look at it and told her what she had gotten wrong. He didn’t want to depress her but much like Rainbow Dash, he thought she needed a good education. He had also decided to be the bad guy a few times and let Rainbow Dash be the cool big sister instead of the nagging mum.

“Hey Shine, I think the brace is broken or something.” Scootaloo said, looking a the device on her back and giving her wings an experimental flap.

“What do you mean?” Star Shine asked, putting the paper down and moving across to examine the brace. Rainbow Dash put her book down and watched curiously.

“I can move my wings easier than before. It was hard a second ago and then it just stopped.” Scootaloo explained. Star Shine tapped the plus and minus buttons a few times experimentally.

“Any change?” Star Shine asked. Scootaloo shook her head. Star Shine sighed and fidgeted with the brace, taking it off of Scootaloo.

“What’s up with it?” Rainbow Dash asked. Star Shine threw it at her and Rainbow Dash had the good sense and reflexes to catch it before it hit her in the face. “Hey be careful!” Rainbow Dash scolded.

“It’s out of magic, and it’s fully automated. It needs magic to work, even when you set it to manual. Could you take it to your Unicorn friend...what’s her name...” Star Shine trailed off.

“Twilight?” Scootaloo offered.

“Right, Twilight. Could you take it to Twilight and ask her to put some more magic in it? I’d ask her but she doesn’t even know me.” Star Shine explained.

“I suppose so. I’ll be back in a bit then.” Rainbow Dash said, hovering in the air. “Star Shine, look after Scootaloo, Scoots, you look after Shine.” she teased before flying out the window. Star Shine was beginning to wonder why she even built a front door when he’d only seen her use it once.

“How long should it take?” Scootaloo asked.

“Depends how powerful this Twilight is. It takes a regular unicorn about an hour to give it a full charge.” Star Shine explained.

“She’ll probably be back in about five minutes then.” Scootaloo said with a giggle. Star Shine looked at her curiously. “Don’t tell me you’ve never heard of the Element of Magic Twilight Sparkle?” Scootaloo asked.

“She’s THAT Twilight? Then it shouldn’t take long no.” Star Shine said with a smile. Scootaloo smiled back but Star Shine’s faded after a few seconds when a realisation came to him. “I’ve just reduced THE Element of Magic...Celestia’s personal protege...to charging a battery...I’m so dead.” he said as visions of Twilight Sparkle and Celestia herself punishing him came to his mind. Scootaloo waved a hoof in front of his eyes to snap him back to reality.

“Don’t worry about it, Twilight’s really nice. I’m sure she won’t mind.” Scootaloo reassured him.

“Well at least when Rainbow Dash gets back you can tell her that you did look after me.” Star Shine said, patting Scootaloo on the head. “Now it’s time for me to take care of you though, so let’s get back to your homework.” he added. Scootaloo sighed and turned back to her homework and continued working on it with Star Shine’s help.
***
While Star Shine and Scootaloo talked and did homework Rainbow Dash flew towards the library. This time she wasn’t panicking or in a real hurry so she was able to stop outside the door and knock on it, instead of flying through it. Spike answered the door and when he saw who it was he moved aside to let her in.

“Hey Twilight, it’s Rainbow Dash.” he called through the doorway leading to the basement while Rainbow Dash found a table to sit at. Spike would have talked to Rainbow Dash a little himself but he didn’t even get Sundays off. The library might have been closed to the public but there was always cleaning and reshelving to be done. Sunday was named as such after the battle between Nightmare Moon and Celestia. It was named after Celestia and was taken off as a sign of respect. It was also one of the last times anything interesting happened on a Sunday. She put the brace on the table The sound of hooves on stairs followed and Twilight Sparkle herself was soon stood at the door. She walked over to Rainbow Dash and joined her at the table.

“Hey Rainbow. You have any more information for me?” Twilight asked. Rainbow Dash was confused and the look on her face got the message across clearly and so Twilight elaborated. “About Scootaloo? Did you find anything out?” Rainbow Dash shook her head as the realisation and memories came back to her. She had told Twilight she would keep her up to date and had been kept so busy and distracted that she had totally forgotten.

“Oh, right. That.” Rainbow Dash said simply before explaining what Star Shine had told her about Vacuus Medeis and how it can affect Pegasi. Twilight had done more research on the disease but she still hadn’t found out that little detail.

“So does she have it?” Twilight asked, scared for the little filly. Rainbow Dash shook her head.

“We don’t know at this point. Her wingpower is less than 0.1 so she can’t fly right now anyway. Star Shine has her wearing this to boost her wingpower.” Rainbow Dash explained, pointing a hoof at the brace.

“What is it?” Twilight asked, lifting the brace up with her magic and turning it around to get a good look at it.

“It’s a brace that makes it hard for her to move her wings. It strengthens the muscles in her wings. It can tell how powerful her wings are and adjusts to them too actually.” Rainbow Dash explained.

“How’s it do that?” Twilight asked. When she found something new she always wanted to understand everything about it.

“It runs on magic and actually that’s why I’m here. Shine says that it’s outta power and he was wondering if you could fill it up with magic again.” Rainbow Dash explained.

“Why didn’t he ask me himself?” Twilight asked. Rainbow Dash shrugged.

“He said he thought you wouldn’t do it because you don’t know him.” Rainbow Dash replied. Twilight sighed in response.

“I’m not likely to know him either if he always sends you to do a job.” Twilight said, closing her eyes and focusing. The magic field around the brace grew in intensity. “This could take a minute.” Twilight said as she felt the depths of power the brace could store. It had quite a large amount of space, which made Twilight very curious. She had never seen anything like it. Rainbow Dash had a brace, and there were many other braces, but she had never found one that ran on magic. Magic was the realm of Unicorns and only a Pegasus would want, or make, such a device. She knew there was no point in asking Rainbow Dash about it though because Rainbow herself knew as little as she did about everything. There was only one pony who could give her the answers she wanted and very little could stop Twilight Sparkle getting answers. The magic field suddenly cut off and the brace dropped onto the table.

“Are you done already?” Rainbow Dash asked. It didn’t seem like it had been long enough to her.

“Yes. The brace has enough power to last a week. It’s not fully charged. Tell your friend if he wants it to be fully charged he can come ask himself in a weeks time.” Twilight explained.

“Is that alright?” Rainbow Dash asked. She wasn’t sure how Star Shine would take the news.

“I want to meet him and this seems like a good way to set up a meeting. Tell me, has he met Rarity?” Twilight asked as something occurred to her.

“Yeah I’m surprised you haven’t heard about it. He accidentally said something and I’m surprised Rarity hasn’t told everypony she knows yet.” Rainbow Dash said, shivering at the memory of Star Shine accidentally saying he was Rainbow Dash’s most special friend. Twilight shook her head.

“I haven’t seen her in a few days, I’ve been busy with research. You know what I can get like when I learn about something new.” Twilight said, playing with her mane sheepishly.

“So why’d you ask if he met Rarity?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Oh it’s just that really any Unicorn can do this. If he wants to avoid meeting me he might just ask you to go ask her to do it instead. Do you think you can convince him to only come to me?” Twilight asked. Rainbow Dash wracked her brains and tried to come up with a plan. After about a minute of musing, she still hadn’t thought of one.

“I’ll see what I can do, but I can’t make any promises. I’ll definitely try though.” Rainbow Dash said, determined to do her best for her friend. “Besides, he’s always acting so smart, I’d like to see somepony get the better of him sometime.” she added, grinning at the thought of Star Shine finally getting his comeuppance for all the times he’d acted like he was smarter than her.

“Well I can’t make any promises either, but I’ll do my best.” Twilight said. The two mares giggled at their collective plotting.

“Good luck Rainbow, I’ll see you in a week if I don’t see you sooner.” Twilight said as Rainbow made her way to the door, the brace in her hooves. Rainbow Dash gave one last giggle before leaving the library, and it’s librarian, behind.

Author's Note:

Thankfully the only real rewrite I had to make to this chapter was why Spike didn't talk to Rainbow much and why Sunday was still technically a "holy day" per se. Hope that makes sense and I don't have much time so enjoy the short author's note for once and the foreshadowing about the brace.

Coming up next time; Acutal STUFF! I considered uploading this yesterday becaue it's short but it really introduces the brace as a bit of a plot device so I felt even though it was short, it wasn't quite simple enough for a between day. The next chapter definitely isn't either, so look forward to it on Friday.

PreviousChapters Next