• Published 28th Apr 2013
  • 9,649 Views, 1,537 Comments

Working Towards The Future - Dasponi



It's been a week since Rainbow Dash saved Scootaloo after she jumped in to Ghastly Gorge and Rainbow Dash is keen for her to go back to school, as well as make good on a promise.

  • ...
15
 1,537
 9,649

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 29; Two For One

“I can’t believe he did that! He said he was going to ask about the newspaper, he didn’t say anything about the note.” Rainbow Dash said, soaring towards the library. Everything after Star Shine had left had calmed her down but she wasn’t perfectly calm. Even if Star Shine didn’t deliberately say anything he had admitted that he was going to. Scootaloo didn’t say anything, she was too busy thinking. She had noticed something that was bothering her.

“Was he crying when he took off?” Scootaloo asked after a few moments silence.

“What does it matter if he was? Rainbow Dash replied harshly. She softened up as she remembered who she was talking to.

“I think he might be hurting enough if he was.” Scootaloo replied. She was young but if there was one thing Scootaloo knew about, it was pain. She knew all too well emotional wounds hurt far more than physical ones. “Maybe it was an accident...he said he changed his mind, didn’t he?”

“Even if it was an accident...even if he didn’t mean to do it, he still said he was going to. He says a lot of stupid stuff but that was, by far, the stupidest thing he’s ever done.” Rainbow Dash replied.

“Rainbow...how did he even know about the note?” Scootaloo asked. Rainbow Dash didn’t answer and instead looked down and slowed down too as the wind was taken out of her proverbial sails and anger was replaced by sadness.

“I...I showed it him.” Rainbow Dash finally replied.

“Why?” Scootaloo replied. She had guessed as much but it still hurt to have it confirmed. She didn’t even know Rainbow Dash still had it. “Why do you even still have it?”

“He said he knew something was bothering you...he wanted to know what it was. I thought it might help. I still have it because I wanted to show it you when you were flying. I wanted you to see how far you’d come.” Rainbow Dash replied, still looking at the ground and talking softly. So softly she had even stopped flying so the wind wouldn’t steal her words.

“So you told him everything? The same way he was going to tell my friends?” Scootaloo said. Rainbow Dash let out a surprised gasp as she realised that she had made the same mistake Star Shine did.

“I...I’m sorry Scoots.” Rainbow Dash managed to reply.

“I know you are. I’m sure he is too. Do you think he really would have said something?” Scootaloo asked. If anypony knew what Star Shine might be thinking it would be Rainbow Dash.

“Honestly?” Rainbow Dash replied, turning her head around to face Scootaloo. “I don’t know. I do think he wouldn’t hurt you though. He can be a bit of a know it all but he doesn’t mean any harm.”

“Any idea why he started crying?” Scootaloo asked. She’d never seen him respond emotionally to much with anything besides humour. Even his own mistakes.

“There’s only one time I’ve seen him cry.” Rainbow Dash said. She looked away in mild embarrassment at the memory.

“When? What happened?” Scootaloo asked, doing her best to lean around Rainbow Dash without risking falling off her back. Scootaloo wrapped her forelegs around Rainbow Dash’s neck and leaned close to her face. Partly for support and partly because it looked like Rainbow Dash could do with the hug.

“It’s really silly...” Rainbow Dash said, rubbing her mane sheepishly. “It was something I did.”

“You made him cry?” Scootaloo was a little shocked at the revelation. She couldn’t imagine Rainbow Dash making somepony cry. Not one of her friends at least.

“When we were in Flight Camp together I...I asked him to be my coltfriend. That’s when he told me he wasn’t interested in me in that way...” Rainbow Dash explained quietly. It was a memory she wasn’t fond of.

“You made him cry by asking him out?” Scootaloo asked, trying to stifle a laugh. She failed and within seconds was laughing so hard she almost fell off Rainbow Dash. She didn’t find it that funny but it was the funniest thing that had happened in a while and after the depressing events earlier in the day she was happy to be able to laugh.

“No that’s not what happened.” Rainbow Dash said coolly, giving a derisive snort and waiting for Scootaloo to stop laughing at her.

“Sorry...sorry...” Scootaloo said when she calmed down and saw Rainbow Dash wasn’t laughing with her. “So what happened?”

“I was a silly teenage filly who didn’t know what I wanted and he was the cool older guy. When he turned me down I got upset and ran off. He found me a few hours later and starting saying sorry and crying himself because he upset me.” Rainbow Dash explained.

“Older? I thought you were in the same class?” Scootaloo asked. Everypony in her class was the same age and she didn’t think a Flight Camp would be any different.

“We were but he’s a few years older than me. He started really, really late. I never did find out why actually.” Rainbow Dash explained. She had assumed maybe his parents wanted to try and teach him themselves or for some reason he just couldn’t go when he was supposed to. “Anyway, the only time I’ve ever seen him cry is when he thinks he’s really upset somepony.”

“I bet he thinks that a lot.” Scootaloo said. She surprised Rainbow Dash a little with that.

“What makes you say that?” Rainbow Dash asked. Scootaloo pushed herself off Rainbow Dash’s neck and settled back down on her back instead.

“He’s a little...off. He almost seems too happy but then, when he’s sad, he’s really really sad. He kinda reminds me of me.” Scootaloo explained, looking down at the blue fur below her.

“I don’t know about that...I’ve known him most of my life.” Rainbow Dash said.

“I guess if anypony knew how he felt it would be you then.” Scootaloo replied, smiling up at Rainbow Dash. She wasn’t convinced Star Shine was always happy but she also didn’t want to speculate about a pony wildly. She’d had it happen to her and now Rainbow Dash far too much to do it herself.

“Yep...so...am I forgiven? For showing him the note?” Rainbow Dash asked softly, shifting her hoof through the air nervously. She expected she probably was given how Scootaloo had just been with her but you could never be too certain.

“I don’t mind him knowing.” Scootaloo reassured Rainbow Dash. “At first I did but now I’ve calmed down...maybe it was for the best. I know why you did it and if it’ll help me fly, I’d have told him myself. I just wish you’d asked me.”

“I know...So when’d you get so smart about feelings anyway?” Rainbow Dash asked, leaning her head back to nuzzle Scootaloo. Rainbow Dash had never considered Star Shine might be hiding how he really felt and was still surprised that Scootaloo might have thought it.

“I know what it’s like to blame yourself for something and be upset by it.” Scootaloo replied, looking back sadly at her wings. “...I know what a painful reminder feels like.” she added, sighing.

“You know that’s not your fault, don’t you?” Rainbow Dash said. Scootaloo nodded and tried to fight back tears.

“I know, but that doesn’t stop me blaming myself for it.” Scootaloo said quietly as tears fell freely from her eyes. Rainbow Dash bucked Scootaloo into the air, span, and caught the filly in a hug, a recreation of the maneuver she had pulled before. She held Scootaloo close for a few moments before her face lit up as she got an idea.

“I just got a brilliant idea!” she exclaimed, making Scootaloo jump. Rainbow Dash threw Scootaloo up into the air and caught her a few times.

“What...” Scootaloo began before she was thrown into the air again. “Is...” she got out. “It?” she managed to finally ask over a series of throws. Rainbow Dash pulled her into a hug and whispered it into Scootaloo’s ear and watched as the filly’s face brightened and she gave a wide smile.

“That sounds great! When can we do it?” Scootaloo said, giving Rainbow Dash’s idea her seal of approval.

“Not sure, we’ll have to do some stuff first. With everything that’s happened though, I think you could use something like that. Don’t you?” Rainbow Dash asked, smiling at Scootaloo. Scootaloo nodded again. First of all though we gotta go find Star Shine, alright?” Rainbow Dash said. Scootaloo nodded and was flipped into the air by Rainbow Dash. Rainbow Dash turned around so Scootaloo would land on her back and took off for the library once more with Scootaloo securely on her back. She stopped again a few seconds later. Scootaloo was almost thrown off of Rainbow Dash but managed to hold on.

“What was that all about?!” Scootaloo asked loudly. She was still shaken up from the sudden stop. Rainbow Dash turned to face her and Scootaloo saw she was grinning widely.

“I think we shouldn’t tell Star Shine exactly what we’re doing.” Rainbow Dash said, giggling like a madmare.

“How are we going to set it up without him knowing? Won’t he need a suit?” Scootaloo asked, confused.

“Leave that to me. I just won’t tell him what we’re doing. He needs a lesson in how to keep a secret so we should keep one from him.” Rainbow Dash explained. “Think of it like a prank. I haven’t played a good prank in forever. Plus he told me I’d have some fun ideas and I really don’t want to hear him say ‘I told you so’.”

“...Alright I guess, but be nice! He’s really sensitive.” Scootaloo said. She personally felt Star Shine was probably just going to end up being more upset by this but she decided to go along with Rainbow Dash’s plans in the end. They were Rainbow Dash’s plans and Scootaloo was her number one fan after all. Rainbow Dash took off towards the library for what Scootaloo hoped was the last time. Along the way she occasionally let out another unnerving laugh. Scootaloo thought maybe Rainbow Dash was enjoying herself way too much. Both of them needed a good laugh so she kept her silence and resolved to watch Rainbow Dash’s plan unfold. It was a good lesson for Star Shine, even if Rainbow Dash mostly saw it as a prank and a way to make the guy squirm.


***

Rainbow Dash knew her friends well. After Star Shine had taken off he headed in the direction of the town. He considered going back to Rainbow Dash’s house but he also considered that he might not be welcome there anymore. The look in Rainbow Dash’s eyes when she shouted at him had convinced him she hated him now. There really was only one place he went when he was in this kind of mood and that was the library. He had always loved books and found solace in them when he was alone as a kid, and even as he grew older. He flew around the town until he noticed a large tree that had been converted into a house. In front of the tree was a sign declaring it to be the library. Part of him considered if it was an irony for books to be kept in a tree, the very thing they were made of, but the rest of him was keen to just get inside and bury his troubles in a good book. After making sure the library was actually open he walked through the front door and was greeted by a purple Unicorn.

“Good morning and welcome to Golden Oaks Library.” Twilight Sparkle said, motioning around her at the stacks and stacks of books that surrounded her. “Are you new in town? I don’t think I’ve ever met you before.” she added when she saw who had walked in. Ponyville was a relatively small town and even though nopony else knew everypony quite like Pinkie Pie did, most of the regular residents knew enough about everypony else to know when they met somepony new.

“I’m not exactly new in town, but I haven’t been here very long. I’ve been staying with a friend. A friend I might have just lost.” Star Shine said solemnly as he thought about his actions and the possible consequences. Rainbow Dash had quickly forgotten how him calling her Scootaloo’s mother at the restaurant was in the paper but this was a much bigger deal. If there was one thing Twilight loved solving it was problems, especially friendship problems.

“Well come in then, sit down and I’ll make you a nice cup of tea and you can tell me all about it.” she said, pushing Star Shine towards a seat at a nearby table. Star Shine was still depressed and allowed himself to be moved around at the whims of Twilight Sparkle. “Spike, could you make two cups of tea? One for me and one for my new friend here.” Twilight called across to one of the side room. Twilight took a seat opposite Star Shine and he heard some grumbling coming from another room and a minute or so later saw a small purple dragon with green scales walk into the room carrying two cups of tea. Spike wasn’t one for mornings and it took him a few hours to really be his usual cheerful self.

“Oh...look at that. A Dragon.” Star Shine said simply, taking in the sight before him. “A Dragon...serving tea...to a pony.” The whole thing seemed very absurd to him. Spike grumbled again but otherwise said nothing as he continued serving the tea before heading back to the kitchen. He was a friendly dragon at heart but preferred being thought of as Twilight’s assistant, not her servant.

“You must be distracted.” Twilight said. “Normally ponies new to town freak out a little more at the sight of a Dragon. Even a baby one like Spike.” she explained.

“Yeah...I did something really, really stupid..” Star Shine replied. He was looking past Twilight at a spot beyond her.

“What did you do that could have been that bad?” Twilight asked. This pony certainly did seem to have problems.

“I let down my best friend, and one of the ponies she cares about most. I don’t think she’ll ever forgive me.” Star Shine explained. He snapped himself out of his reverie long enough to take a sip of tea. Tea was a delicacy where he was from after all, and he wondered how it had been passed on to the other parts of Equestria. “Hey this is quite good.” he said, drinking some more of the tea.

“Spike IS a Dragon. He’s a natural at getting the perfect temperature for something.” Twilight explained. “So, who’s your friend? Maybe I can help.” she asked.

“My friend? One of the best there is. You might know her even, she is the Element of Loyalty after all. Hey I guess that means I just let down the Element of Loyalty. That’s gotta be some kind of cosmic irony, don’t you think?” Star Shine asked. When he got depressed he tended to get a little philosophical.

“Of course I know Rainbow Dash. She is one of my best friends after all. I thought I knew all her friends.” Twilight replied, thinking about who the colt sat in front of her might be. “Let’s see...You’re a Pegasus colt, and you have a Trottingham accent, so it’s no wonder I don’t know you. You aren’t Star Shine by any chance are you?” Twilight asked him. Star Shine was a little taken aback she had come to the conclusion so quickly.

“Yeah that’s me. Who are you?” he asked.

“Twilight Sparkle, Element of Magic and unofficial Princess of Friendship. No wings you see.” Twilight replied, winking at Star Shine and showing her lack of wings.

“Well that’s just perfect...first I upset Rainbow Dash and then I run into one of her best friends. A friend who happens to be the most powerful Unicorn in Equestria and one that I reduced to charging up a magical battery.” Star Shine said. He certainly did feel down on his luck. He was beginning to think he might be needing something a little stronger than tea by the time he was done with the day. He wasn’t much of a drinker but some days really made you one.

“That reminds me. I’ve been meaning to talk to you about that brace.” Twilight Sparkle said as a lightbulb went off in her mind. “I thought I wouldn’t get to talk to you for a week but this is a good opportunity, don’t you think?” she asked him. She was smiling and there was a glint in her eye. One that unnerved Star Shine to say the least.

“What about the whole ‘I upset Rainbow Dash’ thing?” Star Shine asked. He wasn’t sure which topic he wanted to avoid more so settled for trying to stick to one particular topic.

“Oh that? Don’t worry about that. I think Rainbow herself would have to be here for us to do anything about that. So tell me about your brace. I’ve never seen anything like it.” Twilight said. She was wondering about what happened with Rainbow Dash but she had been curious about the brace for longer. Plus she was right that she would probably need Rainbow Dash present to patch things up between her and Star Shine.

“Well you see-” Star Shine began before a large crash interrupted him as something flew into, and through, the front door. As if on cue, or summoned simply by the mention of her name, Rainbow Dash crashed into a bookshelf.

“Not again!” Spike called from the side room, taking a guess at what had happened.

“Careful next time Rainbow, I’m back here too.” Scootaloo said, brushing the dust off of her coat. Luckily for her Rainbow Dash had absorbed all the impact and Scootaloo had only been mildly shaken up. Rainbow Dash made her way to her hooves groggily but came to her senses when she saw Star Shine looking at her, a mixture of confusion and worry on his face.

“There’s your target Scoots!” Rainbow Dash shouted, pointing a hoof at Star Shine. He was beginning to really panic now while Twilight watched on in confusion. Neither pony, for all their smarts, could work out what was happening.

“Yes ma’am!” Scootaloo responded, giving a salute. She trusted Rainbow Dash knew what she was doing. That trust began to waver when Rainbow Dash planted a hoof behind her and flicked her at Star Shine a little harder than she wanted to. Rainbow Dash sometimes wasn’t sure of her own power. Star Shine could have avoided her but he knew if he did Scootaloo would hit the wall behind him and there was no way he was going to let that happen. He saw the panic in her eyes and managed to catch her. Scootaloo gave a sigh of relief and smiled up at him.

“Thanks.” she said before turning to face Rainbow Dash. “Don’t do that again! I want to fly sure, but not into a wall!” she shouted back across the library. Rainbow Dash played with her mane sheepishly and looked away. She thought she had been perhaps a little too enthusiastic and gave a silent thanks to Star Shine for managing to catch Scootaloo.

“Rainbow Dash? Scootaloo? What the hay is going on here?” Twilight demanded, she had finally seen enough. The shouting hadn’t helped. They were in a library after all. Rainbow Dash walked over to Twilight.

“I came here looking for him. I found him, and now he’s going to pay.” Rainbow Dash explained, bringing her hooves together with a sadistic smile. Star Shine was tempted to run away but Rainbow Dash could have caught him easily.

“Just make it quick.” Star Shine said, sighing in resignation. He was also keen to get any and all punishment over with quickly.

“What did he even do? He came here so upset and worried that you’d never forgive him.” Twilight asked. For a brief moment the smile on Scootaloo’s face faltered as she began to empathise with Star Shine and thought the plan was a bad idea. He needed reassurance and not trickery.

“I’m so so so sorry Scoots. I didn’t mean to say anything.” Star Shine said quietly as he held Scootaloo close to himself. .

“You were really that upset?” Scootaloo asked. Star Shine nodded and Scootaloo could see where his fur had stuck together thanks to his tears. She surprised everypony in the room by nuzzling up against him.

“To be honest it didn’t go that badly.” Scootaloo said. She tried to sound honest but her voice was a little shaky.

“Really?” Star Shine replied, unconvinced.

“Okay so it didn’t go well. Rainbow ended up doing most of the talking. But my friends know now and maybe it’s better that way.” Scootaloo explained.

“Plus I kinda made the same mistake you did...” Rainbow Dash added, scuffing the floor with a hoof. “We both messed up so get a move on, we’ve got things to do and ponies to see.” she added as she moved towards Star Shine and Scootaloo. Twilight looked between Rainbow Dash and Star Shine, more confused than ever.

“I don’t get it, what did he say? What did you do?” Twilight asked Rainbow Dash. Rainbow Dash sighed as she came up alongside Star Shine.

“I’m sorry Twilight but I can’t tell you that. Not yet. It’s bad enough I told him something I shouldn’t and Scootaloo already had the choice taken away from her once today, and I don’t want to make it twice. “ Twilight sighed but smiled.

“I understand. But what are you going to do? You won’t hurt him will you?” Twilight asked. Rainbow Dash looked like she wouldn’t actually hurt him, but Twilight was a little concerned for his safety. Although part of that concern was that he might die before she got her answers about his brace.

“Don’t worry about that.” Scootaloo said as she hopped out of Star Shine’s hooves. He was confused and his confusion quickly became fear as Rainbow Dash pulled him onto her back to stop him trying to fly away. “Rainbow Dash won’t hurt him or she won’t be able to do what she said. It’s something the two of them are going to do.” Neither Twilight nor Star Shine were very convinced and Star Shine was a little worried about what Rainbow Dash might have said he would do. He considered fighting out of her grasp and flying away but Rainbow Dash was faster than him, and she’d probably hurt him more if he tried to get away.

“I guess I’ll see you later this week then? We can talk all about your brace.” Twilight asked Star Shine. He nodded but was afraid to open his mouth, lest he land himself in more trouble.

“Hitting on Celestia’s student now are we? Congratulations, you’ve made things worse for yourself. You even want to put her in a brace? I had no idea you were into that stuff.” Rainbow Dash said, narrowing her eyes.

“It’s not like that! Tell her it’s not like that!” Star Shine exclaimed, begging Twilight to help him. She was too busy laughing to actually help him and his protests fell on deaf ears as Rainbow Dash left the library with Scootaloo in tow.

“What the hay was that all about?” Spike asked, walking into the room and surveying the damage.

“I have absolutely no clue. I wonder what they’re going to do to that guy.” Twilight replied, sitting down at the table and drinking the rest of her tea. She continued to hear Star Shine’s protests through the door until eventually they faded into silence as he was taken far away enough. “I’ll have to ask him what they did next time he drops by.” Twilight mused.

“I hope he drops by, and not in.” Spike quipped, taking in the mess and damage Rainbow had caused. Twilight looked around and giggled.

“Come on. I guess we’d better get this cleaned up.” Twilight said, rising out of her chair. Her horn lit up as books began to put themselves away and Spike joined in, putting books away by claw instead of by magic.

Author's Note:

The chapter title is a reference to how this chapter is pretty much two chapters in one. What happened was I originally wrote the library scene and then realised I really needed to write the interaction between Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo. My personal thanks for this chapter go out to Evdog for his song The Artist. I was really having trouble doing the rewrites, having to even do them made me feel like crap. Then I put his song on and felt the inspiration and got it done in record time.

If you think Rainbow Dash actually asking a colt out would be out of character, well you'd be wrong. There's no telling what she was like as a teenager, especially a teenager who was impressed by the older guy. Plus even something as seemingly insignificant like that will actually come into play and punch you right in the crybone. It's me, it's my story, so everything comes into play and seems to have some kind of deep emotional reasoning behind it. The only thing I think is a little off about this chapter is the interactions between Rainbow, Scoots and Star Shine in the library. It makes more sense than it did in the original version at least. Originally the previous chapter had been so depressing I wanted to write something silly and fun. I do think it fits into things better though as Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash cheered themselves up and Rainbow Dash was keen to show she can be fun.

Lastly, to make this last forever; I'm not pointlessly extending the story by bringing a new event into it. This sets up something else major, and that sets up the finale. That's right folks, we have three major events left to cover. It's a good job I already thought of a sequel or I'd be worried about finishing it. THEN I'd needlessly extend it.

I don't like endings. Expect the sequel to last forever.

PreviousChapters Next