• Published 28th Apr 2013
  • 9,677 Views, 1,537 Comments

Working Towards The Future - Dasponi



It's been a week since Rainbow Dash saved Scootaloo after she jumped in to Ghastly Gorge and Rainbow Dash is keen for her to go back to school, as well as make good on a promise.

  • ...
15
 1,537
 9,677

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 70; It's Too Early For This

The sun rose on a new day and with it also rose Scootaloo from her slumber. She opened her eyes slowly, shook the sleep out of her system, and made her way to the window as she always did when she woke up. She looked up and was surprised to see that Rainbow Dash wasn’t there like she usually was. She couldn’t hear anything either that would suggest Rainbow Dash just wasn’t in her line of sight. She left her room and stood outside Rainbow Dash’s, contemplating walking in. She thought better of it and decided instead to see if she could find Star Shine on his usual place on the couch. It was a Saturday so he would have been staying in the house and not heading out to Canterlot and would probably be sleeping in. If he was awake then he’d know where Rainbow Dash was. Scootaloo poked her head down the stairs and was more confused when she didn’t see Star Shine on the couch. There was nothing to do but make her way into Rainbow Dash’s room.

“Hey Rainbow DaAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH” Scootaloo began quietly before exclaiming in surprise when she entered the room fully and saw Rainbow Dash and Star Shine in bed together. Rainbow Dash had wrapped a wing around him and he’d turned in his sleep so they were now muzzle to muzzle. Rainbow Dash shot out of bed like a bolt when she heard the shout and thought there might be trouble. Star Shine came too in a little more reserved way. He poked his hoof out across the bed, unconsciously feeling for Rainbow Dash who had been right beside him a second ago. It was then that he realised he had a lot more room than he was used to.

“This...isn’t my couch.” Star Shine said simply as he propped himself up and looked around. He had only really been in this room once so it took a second or two for him to realise where he was. Rainbow Dash came down to the ground and landed next to Scootaloo when she realised there was actually no danger. Scootaloo was still staring at Star Shine, trying to process what she had just seen. “This is...oh…” Star Shine added, flopping back down on the bed when he realised he was in Rainbow Dash’s room. “Ohhhh…” he added when he realised he was on Rainbow Dash’s bed. Every time he spoke or moved Rainbow Dash’s cheeks got a little redder.

“Ummm…” Scootaloo began, finally pulling herself together long enough to try and form words. She couldn’t finish her thought and instead setled for looking up at Rainbow Dash. “Ummmm…” she repeated.

“Nothing happened! He fell asleep on me last night and I thought after everything he’s been through he deserved a good nights sleep is all.” Rainbow Dash hurriedly explained.

“He fell asleep on you?” Scootaloo asked, her brain going back to shutting down as it tried to process all of this and the implications.

“Not like that.” Rainbow Dash replied, facehoofing. She was about to explain what happened when Scootaloo opened her mouth.

“Hey Shine, are you my new daddy?” Scootaloo called out to him, teasing both adults. Star Shine still had his face buried in the bed but Scootaloo heard a groan come from him. Scootaloo jumped up on the bed and started hopping and dancing around Star Shine, which brought back some painful memories of a pink Earth Pony. “Star Shine’s my new daddy! Star Shine’s my new daddy!” Scootaloo sang as she jumped around him. Star Shine lifted his head up and leaned on a foreleg, watching Scootaloo move around him. He sneaked a glance at Rainbow Dash and saw that she was just staring at the ground and shaking her head in disbelief.

“I can be if you’d want me to.” Star Shine said just before she passed his face. Scootaloo lost her footing, slipped over, and landed flat on her back. She started giggling and squirming uncontrollably. “Of course for that to be the case, Rainbow Dash would have to be your mother.” Star Shine added, smirking at Scootaloo and her reaction. The easiest way to stop someone who’s teasing you like that is to take them seriously. Scootaloo squealed and laughed so hard she started choking. Rainbow Dash ran across and patted her gently on the back. Rainbow Dash scooped Scootaloo up and held her to her chest, still gently stroking and patting her back. Scootaloo managed to calm down and stop squirming after a minute or so.

“Well that’s the last time I do something nice for you…” Rainbow Dash said quietly to Star Shine. He poked his tongue out at her.

“She started it.” Star Shine countered, getting off the bed and heading to the door. “Anyway, sorry if I annoyed you by teasing her. It was really nice of you to let me sleep on your bed, and I know nothing happened. I’ll just go make breakfast, come down whenever you’re ready.” he added. Rainbow Dash saw him disappear from the doorway as he headed across the landing and down the stairs.

“Is he okay?” Scootaloo asked, looking up at Rainbow Dash. She looked a lot less jovial than she did a few minutes ago. Rainbow Dash smiled down at her and nuzzled her.

“He’ll be fine, I just want him to be more careful about what he says.” Rainbow Dash replied. She felt she also had to be very careful with what she said now.

“You...you wouldn’t want to be my mom?” Scootaloo asked. She was tearing up a little. It was something Rainbow Dash was afraid might happen.

“It’s not that.” Rainbow Dash was quick to point out, holding Scootaloo tighter to her chest. “I mean it when I call you an awesome little filly, and that I would love to be related to you. It’s just I’ve always assumed I’d be some kinda big sister. I’ve never really had to think about anything else. I never even knew you needed a mom.” Rainbow Dash explained.

“Oh…” Scootaloo said simply. She could understand that. She couldn’t help feeling a little crestfallen, but she could understand. Rainbow Dash cuddled up tight to Scootaloo again.

“Besides, there are things you aren’t thinking ‘bout.” Rainbow Dash said, realising something. Scootaloo looked up at her curiously. “We’d have to go back to the orphanage, and we don’t even know where it is.” Rainbow Dash explained.

“Yeah, I don’t remember where it was.” Scootaloo replied, looking down. She had repressed as much about that place as she possibly could. Only the most painful memories, such as always being passed over for adoption, and the few happy memories, remained. Everything else was blank or just a blur.

“Even if you did, me adopting you would mean that you have to tell everypony the truth.” Rainbow Dash added. Scootaloo hadn’t considered that. Rainbow Dash was far too young to have a child her age and there was no way that she could pass Rainbow Dash off as her natural mother after lying about her parents all these years. She smiled and squirmed as she thought of something.

“I think I could tell all of Equestria that I’m adopted if it meant I could tell them all I had you as a mom.” Scootaloo said, burying her face in Rainbow Dash’s chest as she realised what she said. Rainbow Dash giggled and nuzzled the top of her head.

“To be honest it is something I’ve talked about with Star Shine.” Rainbow Dash said nervously. “Not adopting you, but if I’d make a good mother. He seems to think I would.” she said.

“I think he’s a smart pony and you should listen to him.” Scootaloo replied, giggling again. Rainbow Dash sighed and shook her head.

“I can’t make you any promises Squirt but I can tell you, again, that you’re amazing. Don’t you forget it.” Rainbow Dash said.

“I don’t think I could, not with you around.” Scootaloo replied, giving Rainbow Dash a big hug. Scootaloo slid down Rainbow Dash, who supported her by moving a foreleg so that Scootaloo was resting on it. She moved her other foreleg around and started tickling Scootaloo’s stomach, eliciting more giggles.

“Besides, even if I was your mom and all, I’d have to be with Star Shine for him to be your dad and I’m not, so there.” Rainbow Dash said, poking her tongue out at Scootaloo. Scootaloo was too busy laughing and squirming to reply. If she could she would have told Rainbow Dash to go out with him already.

“SCOOTALOO! RAINBOW DASH!” Star Shine, the pony in question, called from downstairs. Rainbow Dash sighed as the play was interrupted. She put Scootaloo down and hopped off the bed. Scootaloo followed suit.

“Come on then, let’s go see what the Moment Ruiner Extraordinaire wants.” Rainbow Dash said, still smiling. “He probably just got tired of waiting for us to come down to breakfast” she added. Scootaloo nodded and together they left the room to see what Star Shine wanted. .

Author's Note:

Sorry if this chapter seems kinda short or rushed. I had to go out and I wanted to get it up before I left so there weren't even further delays. In my defense, back when I started the story I didn't care about word counts and would just write three pages, so it would average about 1500 words. This chapter is four pages long (thanks to the dialogue) and did roll in at around 1500 words. Anyway, this is just what came to me when I started writing this chapter. I didn't really feel it myself but part of that is that A) I'm tired, B) I'm pretty damn tired, C) I have to go do stuff I'm not going to enjoy doing, and D) I know what's coming up next.

Will I actually do the whole adoption thing? That would be spoilers. Again, I'll say that when I started this story I had no intention to. It was supposed to be a big sister type thing because adoption has been done so many times. Still, everything has been done before and it's not about what is done, but how it is done. There are plenty of Scootalove stories out there, but there's only one Working Towards The Future, and only one me.

In case you're wondering about the title of the chapter I'm just saying that the first thing in the morning is way too early to be having deep conversations about things like this, not that the chapter is up early. If anything it's up late and I was in a rush to post it so that it wasn't made even more late. Also, I have referred to myself as "The Moment Ruiner Extraordinaire." I'm great at ruining moments.

PreviousChapters Next