The Writers' Group 9,307 members · 56,606 stories
Comments ( 34 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 34

In the Program you can sometimes see it in the distance but how far is it?? 10km? 100? 7.5km??
Please help.:pinkiesmile:

I would watch Canterlot wedding, that episode seems to show a good bit to distance.

I'd say about 40-45 Km away.

...Or you can just put 'A quick train ride later', or 'A fast trip later'

...Hope that this helped a little bit. :derpytongue2:

2607530 It's close (within visual range), but it's probably still a fair distance between the two places, enough to make catching a train or flying a faster way to travel between the two than simply walking.

I dunno how far away, but if you want to write it in a story, I would say 2-3 hours of train ride, 10 minutes of flying ( most likely for Dash's ) and few hours of galloping for an earth pony ( in one episode, several earth ponies hauled a train to Appolusa, so we can assume that earth ponies can run with a speed of train ).
In terms of teleportation, I would give a one very long teleportation for Celestia or Luna. And several short teleportations for Twilight ( galloping + teleporting should give around 20-30 minutes for Twilight to get there ASAP).

At least this is my headcanon how long it takes to get to Canterlot from Ponyville.

In best night ever, it didn't took long for mane 6 to get to Canterlot with a carriage hauled by earth ponies, and it was a short ride for Twilight to get to Ponyville on carriage hauled by two royal guards.

2607530 Well on the grand map of Equestria they are fairly close together. My personal estimate is about 30-40 miles.:ajsmug:

Luminary
Group Contributor

Somewhere between two hours and a day, by train.

The show itself is woefully inconsistent and murky about it.
You can see it with the naked eye from Ponyville. So it can't be that far.

2607599 yeah, and Twilight flew there in like no time at all. So pretty inconsistent:pinkiecrazy:

Luminary
Group Contributor

That's actually not so hard to believe. At least in my opinion.

It's a straight line. You don't have to loop around the mountain multiple times on a track, or climb switchbacks and such.

And since you start out so high, you can be dropping altitude essentially the whole time. Which means you can pile on lots of easy speed.

2607599 Thanks for the help. Still haven't decided on a good distance. And a thought just struck me. how far up is Canterlot on that mountain anyway??

>OP asks for km
>Gives miles
:derpytongue2:

I do give the mountain 2-3 Kilometres high. Canterlot being 1,5 Kilometre since it is located in the middle part of the mountain.
If Dash can fly with speed of sound, I do give her 5 seconds to reach Canterlot from the bottom.

As for Twilight's flying time, I do give her 20-25 minutes to fly to Ponyville while Dash can do it in less then 10, hope it helps.

2-3 hours of train ride, 10 minutes of flying

wat. A 2-3 hour train ride is insanely long. There's no way that can equate to ten minutes of flying :rainbowhuh:

I've heard about 20 miles, but I'm not sure if it was stated in the show or is it a headcanon. I stopped believing in any distances since "Flight to the Finish" (either those trains are really slow, or Scootaloo is that good with her scooter...)

2607710 maybe I was too lazy to convert it? Sorry

Train need to ride in circles before arriving in Canterlot while flying let you get there in straight line. I think it help you save time.

Considering that earth ponies can run with train speed while hauling the entire train, and considering that ( besides Pinkie), Applejack by running do not get to far behind Dash, I do say that ponies in the show gallop extremely fast.

Obviously it's only a hop, skip, and a jump away:trollestia:

Well, I always take into consideration how big the city itself seems to be in the episodes that show Canterlot and think that for a city of that size to look as small as it does from Ponyville, it must be some distance.

I also tend to go for more real world travel times and not those portrayed in the show which are wildly inconsistent. For instance, the trip to Apple Loosa they were on the train overnight and then some but the trip to the Crystal Empire (which appears to be much further being well beyond the northern border) though it seemed to be a fairly long trip in the first episode when it was introduced, in a later episode it appeared to be only be a couple hours at most.

For the trip to Canterlot I actually put it at about 3 hours for Twilight's flight speed in my first fic that was written before season 4 but set a year after the end of season 3.

Luminary
Group Contributor

Slightly less than useful as a unit of measure. Especially since it's Pinkie-derived.

Pinkie is above such meager trivialities as the rules of space and time.

Then we have the odd outliers, like "Mmmystery on the Pony Express", which shows the trip is long enough for a full night cycle to happen between getting on at Ponyville and arriving at Canterlot. Basically, I'd say you should scale it for your narrative needs, because the show clearly doesn't keep to a consistent distance.

I was joking. Hence the :derpytongue2:

How far away is Canterlot from Ponyville?

IT'S OVER 9000... meters.

2607530 I've always thought it would be the distance from the tip of Alaska to Russia, I don't know that length though

2607530 I know this is a really old thread, but I found it trying to figure out the distance myself. Most people seem to agree it's about a 2-3 hour train trip to get from Ponyville to Canterlot or vise versa (I guess going down hill would take that hour off) Considering we're talking about horses/ponies, their run speed is between 35-45 mph. Trains in the 1800's ran below 40 mph, so lets guesstimate that 4-6 ponies could run at a speed of 25-30 mph while hauling a large train full of ponies for two hours none stop to reach the base of he mountain Canterlot is on. That would give you the range of 50-60 miles from Ponyville to Canterlot mountain base. Another hour going up the mountain, which would most likely cut the speed in half, would put you roughly at 62.5-75 miles. That would still be close enough to see either place from the other, and would be more than understandable with what kind of technology they had, also taking in consideration the earth magic that earth ponies draw their strength from.

Like I said, I know it's an old thread, but I hope this helps you or other writers who are wondering the same thing.

2607530 this was something I had trouble with too
In one of my stories, Twilight becomes quite a bit more powerful and is only just barely able to teleport be teen the two locations without completely draining herself or hurting anything. I simply declared it a few dozen miles I imagine it would be not as far as people say but take longer to get to because of the whole giant mountain thing. The train ride seems to implicate one or two hours but again the train toes not go directly to and from point A and point B
It's not too much of a stretch to say 25-50 miles... not quite sure how many clicks that is though

2607535 Except Rainbow Dash flies all the way to the Crystal fucking Mountains and back while dragging Spitfire for the second half, and the Crystal Mountains are on the other side of the Crystal Empire which in turn is farther away on the map from Canterlot than Ponyville is. There's no specified time, but the Soarin's urgency suggests it could only be a couple of hours, and all we have to go on is that it was the same day, it stopped raining, and the lighting hadn't changed.

2607530 Personally I try not to put any time or distance measurements on travel in Equestria, and limit it to the time of day they go and arrive (if I even need to) since even that is somewhat less arbitrary than in the show.

We know that now. I'm sure that information wasn't around 106 weeks ago.
Either way, you have a good point.

5011070 Sorry, I hadn't realized the thread had been necro'd. I don't usually look at dates on things that appear in my dash since I'm in so many groups I just assume it's all current.

Welcome to the cruel and unusual geography of Equestria. :) There are no clear canonical statements regarding the distance that I can recall, but the following is known:

1. Overnight trains between the two locales exist. It is not clear if any faster train routes are available. Overnight trains imply 8 or more hours.
2. Road travel with a carriage pulled by two earth ponies with no cargo beyond six mares only takes an hour, two tops.
3. You can directly observe Canterlot from Ponyville, though the relative visual sizes make no sense and tell us nothing because camera.
4. Flight between the two is short enough for an open pegasus-pulled chariot with no seating.

This is not terribly consistent, but can possibly be made more sensible by assuming that the train takes the path of least incline, while the road traveled by carriages does not, because the altitude difference between them is visually quite high. Seeing by how Ponyville has a taxi service that comes up in more than one episode, I expect that taxi is actually the preferred mode of transport between the two, if more expensive. :)

EDIT: Wait, 106 weeks? Made a fool of myself, didn't I.

Figured as much, the comment pull made me take a double take because I don't remember this thread at all.

Basically, it is as far as you need to.

Couple hours by train.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 34