The Writers' Group 9,331 members · 56,840 stories
Comments ( 25 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 25

canon:
1. A generally accepted principle; a rule.
2. A group of literary works that are generally accepted as representing a field.
3. The works of a writer that have been accepted as authentic.

If you continue to make this error...
...you are a dumbass.

cannon:

Don't make me have to tell you again. :twilightangry2:

Is the cannon canon?

Out with those headcannons, let in the headcanons!

Give me a moment to find the thread about this from earlier...

You also forgot Kanon (also known as Guan Yin)

Though sometimes people will think of this Kanon instead (yup, sad girls in snow):

(and yes, I've seen it written like that as well, because they were trying to understand the difference between "cannon" and, well, canon.)

One thing they have in common, though, is that it's a bad idea to argue with either.

Well, I just learned something. :rainbowderp: I thought it was just a your/you're error, only to find out that it's a their/they're/there error.
Oh, and some people are dumber than I thought.

Very true. :rainbowlaugh:

2133986 I didn't get what you were saying at first; then I looked at the canon and cannon. I get the point you were making.

Don't make me have to tell you again. :twilightangry2:

HA! :rainbowlaugh:

Sorry to break it to you, but I can guarantee people will continue to fuck this up. Best we can do is correct them whenever possible in the vain hope that it will penetrate the collectively thick skull of the masses.

Sorry -- didn't realize someone had done one of these today. :twilightsheepish: I ran into it elsewhere and had to say something about it.

I know, I know... wishful thinking on my part. :derpytongue2:

2133986 Would you please cover "loose" and "lose" as well? That one drives me insane.

:pinkiehappy:

I had to say something about the canon/cannon thing since I always see it around FIMFiction.
When it comes to those common errors I see everywhere, I refer folks to this helpful reference. :trollestia:

2134012 2134039
Octavia reminds you not to forget her favorite canon:

you sure it's not this Kanon?

2134202 Oh, I'm right there with you. I just cringe when I see the loose/lose thing.

:pinkiehappy:

Horses also have cannons in their legs. So when someone talks about headcannon, perhaps they are asking a pony to kick them in the face? :rainbowwild:

2134030 Don't be silly. I've argued with plenty of cannons. Their angry, blustering responses were proof enough that I was right.

Now where did I put my left leg, again?

You realise that CUTIE MARK CRUSADER SLEEPOVER AT OCTAVIA'S! YAY! updated today and had the following quote involving cannons in it:

“...We also do not shout at one another, certainly not over something as silly as a cannon cutie mark. There is nothing remotely cannon-related in this house. This house is cannon-free, cannon-proof. You might even say the entire contents of this house are non-cannonical...”

I had to laugh a bit when I read that.

--arcum42

Nice! :trollestia: Gonna have to add that to my already-ridiculously-long Read Later list.

It makes me want to do bodily harm, yeah; but why try to write my own guide when Matthew "the Oatmeal" Inman has done one complete with illustrations? The one I linked earlier isn't his only good one, either; I also like his guide to apostrophes. (We need more people to read that one as well.)

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 25