Time Action Glory Challenge! 95 members · 176 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2
Impossible Numbers
Group Admin

For the fourth prompt writing challenge, let's do something more ambitious. For we'll need to tackle...

The Issue of Obscurity

Firstly, a bit of background. If you just want to dive in, skip straight to the conditions below. Otherwise, read on.

Not only are some tags still woefully underutilized, and not only are we not producing as many fics as we would need to complete (or, more realistically, come close to) the end-of-the-year target, but the group itself seems to be dying down a bit in terms of activity. I think one of the reasons why is lack of integration. We aren't particularly well integrated into the fimfiction community as a whole, or into the goals and intentions of many users.

While I can't do much about the latter - that's up to the users in question - I think the former might be addressed by a little inter-group interaction. FanOfMostEverything provided a case study last month with his Imposing Sovereigns contest and group, which contributed stories to several TAGC-relevant tags. I doubt we'd do anything that spectacular, but in the long run, it could be the key to getting this group firing on all cylinders.

With that in mind, I've done a bit of digging, and have targeted a few likely-looking groups with intentions we can co-opt for our own TAGC group's purposes. Call it a matter of mutual gain. The aim this time is to get the TAGC group mixing with other groups, the better to generate and maintain ideas and interest in both directions.

That's where this prompt comes in. Unlike last time, I'm not bothering with any particular theme because the emphasis here is on flexibility. If you can, then it would be great if you could bring the story in line with Masterweaver's "April Tomfoolery" theme for the month, but I'm not going to make it an absolute requirement here. It's more a suggestion.

Conditions

Instead, these are the only key conditions of the prompt, which will this time have no fixed deadline (other than "the end of the year", due to the group's explicit aims). That said, if you can produce at least one before the end of April, that would be superb.

1. Your story must contain at least one character tag from the list Masterweaver provided in "April Tomfoolery". These tags are the most obscure, and therefore are most in need of attention. However, in deference to individual limitations - such as prior writing commitments - these characters don't have to be the most central ones in the story. Mr Stripes, for instance, doesn't have to be the main hero or villain of the piece, but could be a side character or recurring player.

2. Your story must also coincide with the aims of another group. I've got a list of suggestions below, but feel free to pick any group if your inspiration conflicts with these particular ones. Say you wanted to write a fic featuring Chancellor Puddinghead's bid for re-election; that would work tremendously well with the Equestrian Historical Society's aims. Even something as simple as a group specifically devoted to said character would pass muster, though showing a soupçon of creativity would be even better.

3. Your story must be newly created and not a pre-existing entity. No continuations allowed. The whole point is to help these character tags catch up with their more populous colleagues, after all. (This should be obvious. Zipporwhill, for one, is not getting her story count to go up if her tale about getting the best singers of Equestria together was merely another chapter in a short stories compilation.)

Lastly, the usual site rules are in effect, though I honestly can't think of a scenario where they wouldn't be. Remember to post your entry in the comments section below, with the link.

If you want anything clarified, just ask in the comments below, and I'll try and get back to you as soon as possible. I may release another prompt later this month, though I have yet to work out the details.

Also, please feel free to make your own prompts if you wish to do so. It's good to get more people involved, of course!

Oh yeah, and have fun, obviously. It would be a bit silly otherwise, now wouldn't it? :pinkiehappy:

Impossible Numbers
Group Admin

If you are interested, then here's a list of suggested groups for the purposes of this prompt. They are in no particular order. Please note that this is by no means an exhaustive list. If you think you can do better or think there are more creative ways to use these groups, then great! Have at it, and with gusto. Remember, this list is here to inspire you, not to constrain you.

World-Building Alliance: A group devoted to expanding upon non-pony (or at least obscure pony) species, from their daily lives and personal attitudes to their geopolitical and economical systems. Would work excellently with the groups tags such as Minotaur and Zebra.

Equestrian Historical Society and Tribal Hearts: The first group focuses on the ancient times touched upon in the show, such as the reigns of Sombra, Discord, and the Dazzlings pre-banishment. The second group focuses mainly on the founding of Equestria, its key players, and the time period in question. Both are good choices for those interested in Lore and Comic characters.

The Sympathy For Background Ponies Society and Background Ponies: A couple of groups committed to giving background ponies a chance in the spotlight. The likes of Cloudchaser, Daisy, and Ruby Pinch are made for these ones.

Imposing Sovereigns: Although the contest itself is over, FanOfMostEverything includes a "Second-Born" version with no deadline and no limitation on prompt choices. It's ideal for those late to the party or who never got around to finishing their entry, and the focus on said imposing sovereigns might generate a few new ideas for you. See his blog here for details.

Library of Trivial Lore and Other Things: A group concerned with the small-scale or more subtle aspects of world-building, such as architecture, clothing and fashion, food, technology, and even AU trivia. It could be a useful launching point for some of the quirkier character tags.

New Horizons: An esoteric and idiosyncratic choice, admittedly, but one, I think, with potential. This group looks at three main areas of exploring the unknown: Equestrias in alternative universes or which have been altered dramatically; exploration of the unknown, inside Equestria or outside of it; and uncommon, extinct, or foreign species. Exotica, basically. Could tie in neatly with some of the stranger character tags, such as The Smooze or Timberwolves.

Supporting Original Characters and Twilight Sparkle: A useful way of working an awkward tag into a story might be to introduce another character to shake things up a bit. Whether it be an established popular character - Twilight Sparkle, for instance - or a completely original creation tailor-made to draw out the TAGC-relevant pony's adventurous or comedic side, these kinds of team-ups could galvanize interest in an otherwise-overlooked character tag.

Slice of Life and Heartwarming: This is similar to the previous suggestion, but revolves around genre and emotion rather than around characters. These are just two examples; you could just as easily consider a dark group, or a group about stories exploring the varieties of sadness.

Classic Literature Lovers: After all, who doesn't love classic literature? More seriously, the group's passion for classic stories might be a good way to generate ideas, whether by considering the works of past writers (e.g. Geoffrey Chaucer, William Shakespeare, Mark Twain, George Orwell) or simply through retelling an old classic (e.g. Beowulf, Paradise Lost, A Christmas Carol, Ulysses) in a new and interesting way.

Science in Equestria and Magic and Technology Versus Magic: Where exactly would the characters sit? In the technology field, in the magic field, on the fence, on the sidelines, or somewhere a long way from the debate because they don't believe in it? This sort of group could be useful in making you think a bit more widely about the individual character and their philosophies and outlooks.

And obviously, individual character groups like Sky Stinger's or Svengallop's make for easy starting points if you have a favourite. Spending time with other fans might bring you inspiration which you wouldn't have found on your own.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2