The Admin's Group 204 members · 7 stories
Comments ( 49 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 49

Well here are two ways to make that happen!

1. Set the example.

Lucky for a lot of people, you do NOT have to be a good writer. I've seen horrid writers become admins. But you do have to be a good leader. Set the example of how to behave. Follow the rules, and never be hypocritical or overly harsh. It's not easy, but it's almost necessary.

2. Know the right people.

Odds are if you have a friend who owns a group, you can ask to be an admin and they'll let you. As unfair as that sounds, knowing the right people is an extremely effective way to become an admin. It's how things work.

So you want to be an admin kid, well whoop de doo.
I´ve been around the block before with newfags just like you
Each & everyone of them a dissapointment
pain & ache for which ther´ye no ointment.
So much for excuses, dumb old kid of knighty´s,
asking me to jump into the frame.
My answer is two words " O K"

Oh oh! You win! Oh gosh! Oy Vay!

I have givin´ hope that someone would come along.
A fella who´d ring the bell for once not the gong.
The kind who wins trophies won´t settle for low fees.
At least semi-pro fees, but no I get the green horn.

I have been out to pasture pal, my ambition gone.
Content to spend lazy days in to graze my lawn.
You need an advisor, a sayter but wiser
A good moderator & WHOA there goes my ulcer.

I am down to one last hope & I hope it is you.
Though kid you are not exactly a dream come true.
I have trained enough turkey´s who never came through
You are my one last hope, so you will have to do.

(music plays)

Demi- mods have faced the odds & ended up a mockery
Don´t believe the stories that you read on all the crockery
To be a true admin kid is a dying art.
Like pain´tin´ a masterpiece it is work of heart.

It takes more than sinew.
It comes down to what´s in you.
You will have continue to grow, now that is more like it.

I am down to one last shot, & my last high note.
Before that blasted banlist get´s my goat.
My dreams are on you kid go make them come true.
Climb that uphill slope, keep pushing the envelope, you are
my one last hope & kid it is uuuuuuup tooooooo yoooooooooou!

Timing and a bit of luck play into it as well. Sometimes you just have to be at the right place, at the right time.

Start baning ASAP!

Oh, oh!

1. Set the example.
Lucky for a lot of people, you do NOT have to be a good writer. I've seen horrid writers become admins. But you do have to be a good leader. Set the example of how to behave. Follow the rules, and never be hypocritical or overly harsh. It's not easy, but it's almost necessary.

First of; it really depends on what kind of group are you applying for. There's a huge difference between the accept-all-fics group and group that accepts only good stories, such as Twilight's Library or The Royal Guards. If you're applying for one of the latter ones, good grammar and recognition of what makes a good story is a must.
And for the contrast, if you're applying for one of the former groups, you don't need to know that. Usually, only a moderate interest in a specific group might be enough to get you a rank in one of those groups. Activity and interactions are also quite important.

Odds are if you have a friend who owns a group, you can ask to be an admin and they'll let you. As unfair as that sounds, knowing the right people is an extremely effective way to become an admin. It's how things work.

That really depends, actually. Even a huge amount of friendship doesn't make you eligible to be an admin. But that really boils down to egos and willingness to accept other people ponies as being co-admins.

But there's one last part that OP forgot to mention: If you want to be an admin of the group, and none of the above things work; just create a new one and hope that it is successful.

~Twi

CosmicAfro
Group Admin

We all know it's in the avatar.

jokes aside, make yourself known in the group's community, but don't steamroll yourself, Invest in the quality of your posts and not the quantity of your posts. Suggest improvements to the Admins along with constructive crit so the group could run better. They'll be so happy/ annoyed with your helpfulness/ badgering that they'd be more than happy/ tired of your generocity to make you an Admin/to let you do their jobs for them.

:D

Um, if you want to be an admin, act like an admin.

If the group doesn't have a banner or icon, design one. Get to know everypony in the group. Give helpful advice in threads discussing changes. If you see useful things that can be done, do them. Volunteer to do things for the group. Get everything to the point where it's obvious that you are helping the group a lot and that giving admin access will just let you do things directly instead of having to pester an admin every time you see something that needs doing.

Or if the group's pretty inactive, and there is an admin that's still around, pm them asking to be an admin, and listing all the changes you plan on making. They may be very happy to have somepony volunteer. It may even be a situation like the FiW: Friendship is Witchcraft group, where the main admin vanished, leaving a secondary admin (me) stuck running things...

--Sweetie Belle

Here, the number one way to become an admin:

ASK.

Or, really, at least volunteer when the issue comes up.

And when you do ask or volunteer, treat it like you would a job interview. Tell people why they'd be better off by making you an admin.

For Luna and The Atheist Bronies, I got the position basically by reassuring people that I just want to help to keep everything pleasant and civil for anyone, and that I don't do the power-trip thing.

1. Set the example.

:yay:

Much agreement. Half my admin positions came from people asking me out of the blue. Due to not being a big jerk. And trying to be helpful.

I'm sure that's a way in. But at least for me, I never really knew the admins in any of the groups I currently admin for.

For Luna and The Atheist Bronies, I got the position basically by reassuring people that I just want to help to keep everything pleasant and civil for anyone, and that I don't do the power-trip thing.

And two minutes after becoming an admin, go mad with power xD

~Twi

Nonono!

Really have to lull people into a false sense of security and complacency, first. And one the group founder goes inactive, ban all the rest of the admins and grab the reins of power.

2909720 Oh my Celestia if I didn't already have an awesome profile pic that would be MINE.
But yeah, you gotta act right to be an admin.

CRAP!!! You stole my idea...

JK JK Don't worry I don't do that...
OR DO I?

2909615 I just started a group and decided I needed help running it. I don't have any experience running a group or recruiting admins, so I just posted an open invitation saying that anyone who wants to be an admin should just contact me.
However, I feel like I'm making a mistake and that I'm being too lenient in the recruiting process. Should there be specific things I should do before appointing someone as an admin? All I can think of right now is to do a quick background check on said person before deciding whether I should appoint them or not. Like I said, I have no experience in being an admin, so I really don't know what I'm doing.

Before consideration; what is your group about?

~Twi

3632021 It's a group where people downvote each other's stories. :pinkiecrazy:

The problem I'm anticipating with administrating the group is keeping users from downvoting stories that aren't in the group for no reason at all. Ideally I'd have admins who won't abuse their power and will actually take action against disruptive individuals.

Oh. That's your group? Sure... I'm willing to offer a helping hoof in there... I'm also one of the admins of Rage Reviews, and I can be usually found dealing with things rationally and even ban members for disrupting the group.

~Twi

3632052 Great! Do you wanna be an admin then?

Sure. Totally not accepting this just because I want to take over fimfic.
~Twi

3632186 Great! I'll add you. :pinkiehappy:

The best thing you can do is to recruit people you know, and you know you can trust. Or who are recommended by those you trust.

If you don't know anyone, then take a look at the user page of people who want to join, I guess. Usually appearances alone mean it's not too hard to pick out the responsible people from the trolls who will change your group into "Foalcon Incest Buttrape Paradise III" when you aren't looking. :twilightoops:

But yeah, experience is a good thing. Look for people who have admined large or busy groups before (Like Twilight there). Or barring that, just leave a post requesting admins and ask the right questions. You want people who are going to be around, and people who you can count on to act with some amount of professionalism (Mrs. Dash). And, not to be, like, ageist, or whatever, but you probably want people who are a bit more mature. Some 13 year olds are super-responsible, but you're risking a lot more when it comes to childish grudges and snits with them, than someone a bit older.

I saw the need for a group, and I made it.

That's really about it. :twilightblush:

The best thing you can do is to recruit people you know, and you know you can trust. Or who are recommended by those you trust.

My motto so far was as follows: "Get really drunk and then blackmail annoy people until you get admin rights. Then just ban everyone for no reason whatsoever." Well... It worked so far...

But joking aside, here is a thing: There is no real problem finding a trustworthy person in small groups, since it's more or less a group of like-minded people. The problem starts when the group grows and you stumble on members that will disrupt the group. I mean; the disruption could happen in smaller groups as well, but unless it's created by a high-profile user (such as Obsolence or someone of that caliber), it will take quite a while for the negativity to trickle in...

But in any case, caution is necessary. Not even a week ago, someone on tumblr abused their privileges and shut down the account that belonged to someone that he claimed to "assist".

Best bet is most likely asking somepony with someone who admins big groups. Preferably more than one... But then again, if they're admins of too many groups, they'll probably lack time to deal with one more...

~Twi

Yeah. What you get if you have somepony who is an admin of a lotta groups as an admin is somepony who will probably occasionally do a buncha work on the group, but mosta the time won't do too much 'til they're needed.

They'll be experienced, and'll be able to tell you a lot of what needs to be done and such, though. You're best off having both experienced admins who are admins in a lot of groups, and a few that aren't admins in many groups and have more time for just your group.

--Sweetie Belle

Yup. 'Tis a fine point. Experienced admins probably aren't going to be super-rabid with that same enthusiasm to make a group the best thing evah, and to prove themselves, like someone new would.

But some of that might just be personal preference too, and we might be looking at it backward. People who admin a lot of big groups might just be the type that don't invest much in it. 'Cause if they did, they probably wouldn't have the time to invest in many busy groups to begin with. That's pretty much Lumie. I mostly concern myself with making sure things are safe and friendly, and not with running contests and the like.

Right, and if a group only has admins that admin a lot of groups or aren't very active, it'll get pretty dormant. Like the FiW group. Somepony else founded it, and they made me an admin. I helped organize things and fixed the spelling practically everywhere in the group, but I'm not really that big of a FiW fan. Then the main admin disappeared, so I took it over as the only one with admin rights, and I roped a coupla others into helping, but we don't really have anypony that's real enthusiastic about it on the admin staff.

I promoted one member who seemed interested, but not much changed...

Of course, with the lack of notifications, most groups aren't that active any more, anyway.

--Sweetie Belle

Yus. Or at least the groups that were only slow before have basically been killed. People now tend to stick to a dozen or so big groups that actually have rather dedicated communities, and only those are at least passably business-as-usual.

Yup. 'Tis a fine point. Experienced admins probably aren't going to be super-rabid with that same enthusiasm to make a group the best thing evah, and to prove themselves, like someone new would.

Of course. Experienced admins will just do things to make the group function with eliminating distraction, rather than do everything to make the group super popular. That's really more or less a case for the PR department or something...

~Twi

Found shit-tons of groups to fudge your credentials when a real group wants an admin and you can brag about how you admin for Transhumanist Tobacconist Bronies and TrenderHeart Shipping.

Groups that have no more than two members: A founder and their alias :rainbowlaugh:

~Twi

Yeah. I don't have time to try and stir things up an' get them moving in some of the mostly dead groups I admin. I founded the Hug Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara group and every so often, a fanfic or two gets dropped in the folders, but that's about it.

Even the really big groups feel the lack of notifications somewhat...

--Sweetie Belle

Totally impossible.
Epsilon Delta and Dragor will also probably join every group. So you will have at least four.

u fukkin wot m8 I'll have you know I am admin and founder of Bisexual Scientologist Bronies with over 300 confirmed members including Wanderer D and Pen Stroke I'll rekk u kiddo

Dragor is no more.

He's now Bad Dragon. Also; Epsilon Delta isn't a member of Science! in Equestria.

So, hum... Not reliable?
~Twi

3632534 Indeed, the group communications, even in the really big groups, have slowly been dwindling. But the night is darkest just before the dawn, right?

...Right?:fluttershysad:

Yes. But they aren't mutant alien robot zombies, so that doesn't count.

~Twi

I'm sure he'll be back to Dragor after the Bad Dragon ad thing dies off.
Unless someone steals his name.

As for Science!, I'm surprised. Seems like Epsy's sort of group.

But that's why I covered my ass with the 'probably'! :twilightsmile:

Yeah. TWG has certainly been far quieter. And other places too, no doubt. Though from an admining point of view, it's been in easy mode. I used to have to lock/delete multiple things every day. Without notifications there's less incentive for people to scream, flail their arms and shout 'Me! Me! Lookatme! Look!' at the top of their lungs, so there's been far, far less kinky disciplining to do.

But the night is darkest just before the dawn, right?

...Right?:fluttershysad:

It's also pretty much at the darkest when the sun goes out and we all decline into an eternal ice age and die. :twilightsmile:

3632554 Why must you break my heart so much, Lumie?:raritydespair:

Well, eventually knighty will do his update with bookcases, notifications, custom tags, all the missing background ponies, more emoticons, and 2000% more waffles! Or something like that.

Only if the founder only has one alias, tho'.

Not much happens on the Sweetie Belle group, and that's pretty big. A bit more on Twilight's Library, but all the discussion's about fics being approved or rejected...

--Sweetie Belle

Well, eventually knighty will do his update with bookcases, notifications, custom tags, all the missing background ponies, more emoticons, and 2000% more waffles! Or something like that.

eventually knighty will do his update

eventually

Edit: That sounded mean. I'm sorry, please don't kill me...:fluttershyouch:

The Rational Insanity group was founded something like 12 hours ago, and Bad Dragon's a member but not Epsilon, as well, so yeah, not particularly reliable. And I appear to have been shanghaied into secondary admin myself somehow, I think due to being the most insane member early on or something.
--arcum42

A bit more on Twilight's Library, but all the discussion's about fics being approved or rejected...

At least there's more or less a constant stream of activity...

I think due to being the most insane member early on or something.

Like they say; a little insanity can go a long way.
~Twi

Yep. One choice quote from Alice in Wonderland and appropriate pictures, and I was an admin. And he would have made me an admin again for the picture with the Tesla quote on it...

--arcum42

Well, I didn't say soon... (An' if you read the list of things in the update, I wasn't being real serious. I'm not expecting much.)

Right, all those new contributors helped, and the authors seem to be giving feedback on the reviews a lot.

--Sweetie Belle

if a group only has admins that admin a lot of groups or aren't very active, it'll get pretty dormant.

I resent this :rainbowwild:

2909047 I also see that if you ask politely,normally people say yes.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 49