The Writeoff Association 937 members · 681 stories
Comments ( 987 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 987
RogerDodger
Group Admin

Event overview | Review spreadsheet

This event has a prelim round. This means that once the fic submissions close, you will be assigned a series of stories to read and rate. Only entries whose authors participate in the prelim round will pass to the next round.

Note for newcomers: While many participants choose to review others' entries, doing so is by no means required nor expected.

Please refrain from saying anything that might compromise your anonymity. Doing so is grounds for disqualification. It's recommended you do dummy reviews of your own stories should it otherwise be easy to deduce which you wrote.

Axis of Rotation
Group Contributor

I completely forgot about the prelim discussion.
Oops.

Titanium Dragon
Group Contributor

Review Spreadsheet

After Strythio suggested it, I created a spreadsheet to help folks find reviews for the write-off. You can find it here.

This is open to everyone to edit. Please don't delete stuff which isn't yours.

Instructions for adding your review to the list:

Make a column for yourself (if there isn't one already) over on the right-hand side in an empty column.

Type "Review", "Post", or whatever else into the row of the story you reviewed.

Click on the post number of your forum post to generate a hyperlink to your specific post.

Copy that hyperlink.

Right click on the the text you entered and hit "Insert Link".

Paste the link you copied into the link.

Voila!

Note that if you have multiple reviews in one post, after you make one cell for that post, you can just copy-paste it into other rows, thus saving yourself labor.

Thanks to everyone who is helping populate this spreadsheet!

This will make it much easier to find reviews (hopefully).

ORIGINAL POST

I'm so excited!

Prompt submitted promptly.

EDIT: And then redacted and changed. Oh well.

Fuzzyfurvert
Group Contributor

Submitted my prompt.

I'll have to see what it comes out as before I can even think about committing myself to this one. I have a couple of projects in the works and real life work stuff is ramping up again. Also, I did super poorly in the last mini-fic writeoff. I'd like to redeem myself, but I also don't want to slow down the production rate I currently have going on my other fics.

Hopefully, whichever prompt pops up will hit the ol' inspiration button pretty hard.

Sunny
Group Contributor

Prelim round is making me quite happy, because it will reduce the exhaustion quotient. Course, still going to hope to read everything, but if we repeat last month this'll do wonders.

FanOfMostEverything
Group Contributor

Well, this should be interesting. Prompt submitted.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin

oh god why ;_;

Dubs Rewatcher
Group Contributor

Not sure if I'll find the time to compete in this one, but I submitted a prompt anyway.

M1Garand8
Group Contributor

Submitted my prompt.

Baal Bunny
Group Contributor

Eeep!

I've got too much non-Pony writing I need to do in February. If I can, I'll try to read the entries and leave some comments.

Would prelims work differently if I don't submit a story?

Mike, Wondering

Door Matt
Group Contributor

Whoever submitted "Play Your Cards Right", I think I love you. :heart:

But seriously, didn't the last one just end? Why must time flow so fast...?

[EDIT] "Petrolsexual"....dafudge?! :rainbowhuh:

After some less then stellar placings in the minific contest, I'm a bit more confident about this one.

If all goes well I'll have the weekend free to write!

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin

At least I got done the fic that I'll be posting starting next month, so I have the weekend open now. :B Such as it is.

BlazzingInferno
Group Contributor

I looked up Petrolsexual. The definition wasn't that far off from what I expected, much to my relief. I actually think I know what I'd write for that one, and that scares me a little :pinkiecrazy:

Thornwing
Group Contributor

That's pretty sad.

What's also sad is the number of prompts. Last round only had 39, and we got 59 authors and 93 mini stories. We've got 58 in there right now. With only one prompt per user, this is shaping up to be quite the round.

Bugle
Group Contributor

60 prompts.

This is, uh, getting to be intimidating...

Bugle
Group Contributor

And suddenly we're going to have 1006 fics about poker.

FanOfMostEverything
Group Contributor

Don't be too sure. That's what a lot of people thought would happen last month. We only got two. Maybe three if you count the extended metaphor in The Cards We're Dealt.

For example, if I didn't think it would both compromise my anonymity and alienate ninety percent of the other participants, I'd totally use that prompt as an excuse for a Magic: the Gathering crossover.

Fuzzyfurvert
Group Contributor

Given the insane min-fic round we had last time, I'm surprised that this thread is more than a day old and has less than 20 replies. I wonder if that will correlate to a relaxed, much less of a clusterfudge than last time too?

M1Garand8
Group Contributor

Short story contests always garnered less attention because it's kinda harder to spam out 8k words in a weekend and thus generate less interest. Unless you're one of the bigger name writers. :V

Bugle
Group Contributor

That's the joke =P

Dash The Stampede
Group Contributor

I'm kinda new to this whole thing. >.>

You don't have to submit a prompt to participate, do you? I am awful at that kind of thing. I just got interested in trying this out, mostly to receive advanced critique on work I'll make..

I'm actually wondering, how would we go about submitting the fic? Can I write it in Fimfiction's chapter edit function? I've written all my stuff on there, and have gotten used to the style. I couldn't find anything in the FAQ about it, unless I'm just blind >.>

Bachiavellian
Group Contributor

Nope, you don't need to submit a prompt!

Unfortunately, you'll have to go about submitting the story using the writeoff.me website's text editor. That's to keep things anonymous. On the plus side, most of the formatting language is the same anyway.

Welcome to the writeoffs! Hope you enjoy yourself. :twilightsmile:

Thisisalongname
Group Contributor

No, you do not need to submit a prompt to participate. You will have to vote in the prelim round though to move on.

The website you submit it to has its own writing space but you can write it elsewhere and copypaste it over. Just be sure to do a thorough check after you do to make sure it didn't mess with the spacing.

Dash The Stampede
Group Contributor

I take it there's no easy way to preview what you've typed unless you do the copy-paste method mentioned above? That's the main reason I use chapter edit to do that, because you can easily click to see what it looks like on-site and switch right back to editing. It's how I self-edit all my work. I'm thinking, I write it as an unpublished fic, so I can format it right, and then just paste the end result over. Plus, it'd be easier for when actual site posting is allowed. That's workable, right?

gods, I must be annoying, asking things everyone already knows >.>

Thornwing
Group Contributor

The most important thing is that you don't publicly post your story or otherwise reveal yourself as the author until after the final voting is complete.

The only place you can submit your story is on the WriteOff submission page. Once the submission window opens, you can submit any number of entries that meet the criteria for the round up until the submission window closes (make sure you go over the rules). After you submit a story, you can make changes to it by using the "My Submissions" link at the top of the page and clicking on the edit button next to your current submission. This ability locks when the submission window closes, so make sure you have all your edits submitted before then.

After the entire event is over (once the final results are populated), you are free to update/post your story anywhere else, including FimFiction.

Bugle
Group Contributor

I'm not exactly a vet around here, but I can definitely say that asking things everyone already knows doesn't make you look annoying, it makes you look smart. You're smart enough to realize you don't know the answer to something and that you need help to figure it out. More people should do that.

One thing to keep in mind is FF and WO have different word counters. I think FF thinks it's higher than WO does, in fact. So while you can write it in FF (just don't publish it!), keep in mind there are subtle differences.

Dash The Stampede
Group Contributor

Okay, thanks :D That answers most of what I needed.

One last thing: (And I think this is really important) What tags/story styles are frowned upon/disallowed? For instance, if I figure that a human character shall partake in the fic, would that impact the decisions in any way/shape? I also like to work with Dark and others that I haven't really seen coming out of the writeoff fics that actually get posted, so is that inadvisable then? I know creativity comes into play somewhere in this.

bookplayer
Group Contributor

Anything is allowed, as long as it has MLP and is under Teen rating Teen rating or under.

As for advisable... that's hard to say. A lot of voters try to judge based on how well written the story was, rather than how much they enjoy the subject. On the other hand, some voters don't, and they're allowed to vote for whatever reasons they want. So it's totally possible that writing a Dark fic, or a shipping fic, or a HiE is basically doing the writeoff on hard mode. Totally allowed, and folks will read it and review it, but your score might not look like the reactions you would get from people who are fans of those genres.

Bugle
Group Contributor

You know... There's actually no rule saying it has to be MLP related. I mean, it'd be silly not to, but there's nothing in the rules saying it has to be.

bookplayer
Group Contributor

I did think about that, but I'm guessing that's one of those "There's no rule that says an orangutan can't play football!" situations, where there's no rule because huh? If someone tried to submit original fiction or another kind of fanfic with no relation to pony, I'd guess that would be patched up by the next round.

Of course, I'm just assuming all over the place here. Maybe everyone would give the stories a shot and it's totally up to the writer to try it or not.

Dash The Stampede
Group Contributor

Ah, I see what you're getting at. Technicality over creativity, mostly. See, I was told that you usually get better reviews here than on-site for things, so I've been wanting to perfect a few writing styles through critique here. It's my goal to get better at the things I like to write :D

bookplayer
Group Contributor

I think that's true, the reviews here are great, and most of the reviewers are pretty open to genre. But the reviews don't always reflect the silent majority of voters. It's totally up to you whether that matters, of course! Internet points are worth whatever you think they're worth.

Titanium Dragon
Group Contributor

We've had HiE fics top 3 before (Mark of Destiny did so fairly recently).

We've had dark fics do well.

We've had comedy stories win it all.

We've had mysteries come in first place, as well as British footnote comedies.

And I think we had a shipfic come in first once, too, though IIRC it was a sad one.

It is pretty eclectic.

The main rule of winning is "write something good". Though you're up against pretty stiff competition, here; it is not uncommon for there to be 10+ people with stories in the RCL in the competition these days, plus a number of other good writers.

bookplayer
Group Contributor

I know, but I still think that by doing one of those genres you're handicapping yourself a little. That doesn't mean you can't win, just that your story might have to be better than a similar slice of life or comedy would be.

I didn't know that. Weird.

Thornwing
Group Contributor

All I can say is that with 60 prompt submissions, there better be at least 60 prompt votes, or I call shenanigans.

Bugle
Group Contributor

Well, we're half way there...

Super Trampoline
Group Contributor

Let's see if I can feel more inspired than I did for "All in"

Quill Scratch
Group Contributor

4019991 My (totally relevant) reaction.

4019047 I started All In determined not to write a poker story. I was editing The Cards We're Dealt when I had the sudden realisation of what I had done :fluttercry:

Bugle
Group Contributor

Now if only "Half Way There" was a prompt...

Quill Scratch
Group Contributor

4020252 "We Didn't Start the Fire" is, though. Released in the same decade. Same artist initials, too :trixieshiftright:

I'm feeling an 80s music week coming on now :pinkiehappy:
Which will definitely make me more productive during the writeoff weekend...

Door Matt
Group Contributor

"The Boss" sounds like a great excuse to go nuts on an MLP / Metal Gear Solid crossover.

Is what I would say, except the show itself got there first.

Actually around 30% of the ideas there sound really good. I bet none of them win.

Thornwing
Group Contributor

I'm genuinely sad that nobody submitted "Fibrous Nuggets" as a prompt option.

Bugle
Group Contributor

I'm not. Because chances are, it would have won...

Quill Scratch
Group Contributor

It would probably make a better prompt for a minific contest, anyway. I can't imagine somehow drawing out multiple thousands of words with that as a prompt and not feeling terribly guilty about the resulting story, whereas we've seen that it can... uh, "work" for minifics.

(:pinkiesick:)

Strythio
Group Contributor

I really want to get involved with this this weekend, but I'm a little confused. Are we required to vote in the prelim round in order for our works to have a chance at the next round, or is "participate in the prelim round" the same as having a story submitted in the prelim round?

RogerDodger
Group Admin

Are we required to vote in the prelim round in order for our works to have a chance at the next round, or is "participate in the prelim round" the same as having a story submitted in the prelim round?

Former.

Strythio
Group Contributor

Okay gotcha. I am guessing that is to encourage voting in the prelim rounds?

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin

CLOSING TIME R U FKN KIDDING ME
you are goddamn right i voted for it
>tfw you can't remember wtf your prompt was

It's weird not having anything to work toward. :B

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 987