• Published 10th Apr 2013
  • 7,103 Views, 404 Comments

Bathtime for Ponies Part 2 - Starry Eyed



It's bathtime AGAIN for some of the young characters, and who else but you gets to wash them? Each filly and colt has a different personality, though, and some of them REALLY hate baths!

  • ...
5
 404
 7,103

Raindrops

You sit down next to the bath and turn on the hot water. As you pour the bubble-bath formula into the tub, you instinctually check the water temperature with your hand. HOT! HOLY CELESTIA’S SUN, HOT! CORONA COULDN’T HAVE MADE IT HOTTER! You quickly turn off the hot water and turn on the cold. You notice that even the cold water is warm.

You’re not sure why, so you call up the boss to find out. Apparently, it’s the same as plumbing in a regular house. If someone is running hot water elsewhere, it takes away from any hot water you’re using, and if they use cold water, it backs the heat up into the water you were running. The pegasus had the raincloud hooked up to the city, so all that cold rain backed up a lot of energy into the plumbing.

You can’t bathe anypony in this water, not until it cools. That will be a while. You decide to go back downstairs and sit with Raindrops until the bath is “ready.”

As you enter the living room, Raindrops notices you, and spreads her wings (even though she can’t fly much yet, it’s instinct) ready to avoid the bath. “It won’t be bath time for a while Raindrops, you can relax.” She is skeptical, but trusts you. Suddenly a smile comes over her face, and she offers you a place to sit next to the window. You take it, unaware of what you are about to experience.

Sometimes, you realize just how amazing your job is, not just because of who you get to meet, but also because of the things you get to see. This was definitely one of those moments. The pegasus had planned a whole week of nonstop rain, only bothering to move the raincloud a little so as not to overwater any one area. The same rainstorm that you and Cheerilee had seen days ago was now being brought back to Cloudsdale, where is was scheduled to rain until it disappeared over the fields beneath Cloudsdale. You’ve seen a lot of rainclouds before, but never from eye level, and you’ve certainly never walked on one before.

Getting to be in Cloudsdale and see the pegasus crafting the storm like musicians in a perfectly harmonized orchestra is totally one of the coolest moments of your life. You sit by the window with a young filly Raindrops, who is just as mesmerized as you are. “Wow” you chime in together. You wonder if she got her rain-drops cutie mark like this, but then realize that she couldn’t really know weather was her destiny until she had actually made the rain rather than just watching it.

You sit together like this in awe for almost half an hour before you get the feeling you forgot something. You gasp when you realize that the bath is probably ready, and run to check on it. You are amazed that even after all that time the bath is only now starting to be cool enough to give Raindrops her bath, but then again that was a lot of water pressure.

You go back to Raindrops, who has forgotten about the bath. You know you’ll hate yourself later, but you think it’s only fair not to trick her, “The bath is ready Raindrops.” She looks disappointed, then like she may fly, but just sighs and nods her head. She appreciated your honesty, score one for doing the right thing.

You take Raindrops to the tub, and set her on the rim. You want her to be the judge of whether the water is cool enough. As you return from closing the door, you see her testing it with a hoof, and she slides into the water, not making much of a splash due to pegasus being so lightweight.

You get out the shampoo, “Morning Rain” brand, and pour some into your hand. You begin lathering the shampoo into her light blue mane which is warm and strong, to provide insulation in harsh weather, but is also smooth, soft, and manageable, to provide good aerodynamics. After about twenty seconds, her mane is sudsy, and ready to rinse. You go to cup your hands, put Raindrops motions for you to stop, so you do.

You have been paying attention to her hair, and had not noticed that she had been playing with the water. There was a bubbly white thing in Raindrop’s hooves, which she proceeded to lift up out of the water, revealing that it was a cloud! You stare in disbelief, this foal, who can barely even speak yet, just turned tub water into a raincloud with her hooves. You didn’t even know they could do that.

She fluffed it like it was a pillow, and suspended it over her head. She then reached up into it, and it began to rain. The warm bath water rain washed her hair out in seconds, you hadn’t noticed that she had used half the bath water to make it until it all rained back into the tub. You were worried that the suds or water might have gotten in her eyes, put her pegasus aerodynamics made sure the water always flowed off properly like water off a ducks back.

Here you thought you had to be perfect or it would get in her eyes, well played mother nature, well played. You ask her to lift her tail up, which she does. Raindrops also has a fairly long tail, so it takes you half a minute to fully lather it. Once the tail is lathered, Raindrops sits down and spins around, effectively rinsing her own tail.

You are fine with this, partly because her back is now facing you and you can wash her wings. You ready the wing shampoo, and carefully begin working it into her wings. All the preening tips and skills you have picked up pay off, because it takes less than a minute per wing before both are sudsy, preened, and effectively massaged. You wonder what a professional wing-care service would charge.

Raindrops has spent this time making the whole bath into a cute little black raincloud no bigger than her, which she places above herself and makes rain to wash her wings. You can’t help but guess this is how grow pegasus get showers, but what do they do when the rain runs out? Raindrops hums to herself as she rains her wings out, and when the “rain-pressure” gets low, she thoughtlessly scoops up all the water in the tub into a ball and adds it back to the cloud, resuming her humming. “Good thing they can’t all do this or I’d be out of a job.”

With her wings cleaned, Raindrops pokes a hoof into the cloud, causing it to melt into water which sloshes in the tub. Having been outdone by a foal, you pick her up and put her on the mat to dry her. It only takes about fifteen seconds because of how aerodynamic and aquadynamic she is. You smile at the sight of her little yellow wings ruffled like a ducklings down feathers.

You open the door to let her out, which she accepts. These foals, they never cease to amaze you.

Author's Note:

Raindrops: Lunaverse Element of Honesty

Equestrian Cloud physics presented above: now totally canon. Some ponies are hard to write for, but this was easy, and I deeply enjoyed writing this, it made my week.

Alas, filly Raindrops is so cute. If only I could draw, but I can't even do stick figures. And I can't write Bathtime for OCs until I get some new cover art. I'm trying to find someone who can draw, no luck so far. I have some good friends, but none of them are artists. Sigh, back to begging on Deviantart.