• Published 10th Apr 2013
  • 7,103 Views, 404 Comments

Bathtime for Ponies Part 2 - Starry Eyed



It's bathtime AGAIN for some of the young characters, and who else but you gets to wash them? Each filly and colt has a different personality, though, and some of them REALLY hate baths!

  • ...
5
 404
 7,103

Redheart

You finish filling up the tub with warm sudsy water. Normally you would call for Redheart now, but decide to go get her instead. This isn’t because she wouldn’t come if you called her, but because you don’t want her to have to walk. You return downstairs to see Redheart snuggled up on the sofa, asleep in her little sitting position. Her light blue eyes are closed, and her ears are occasionally gently twitching slightly. You mentally savor this cute little moment, but it’s bath time.

You kneel next to her before gently waking her up. Her light blue eyes open and look up at you as a warm little smile forms. “Hey there sweetie. Sorry to wake you up, but it’s bath time.” She nods, and stands up on her two hind feet as well as her left front leg. The reason for this is the same reason you didn’t want her to walk; her right leg is bandaged up around her knee. As is natural for a pony, she tucks it up against herself with a little limp.

You’re not sure what the opposite of “Daww” is, but this is it. You weren’t given all the details, but you were told she hurt it while playing. She wasn’t badly hurt, but she wouldn’t be able to stand on it for a while. Your boss and you agreed to put everything else on hold and devote all your time to taking care of her until she’s better. Her parents were very grateful for the full time assistance, and you couldn’t say no to helping a hurt pony.

You gently pick her up and tuck her into your arms so that her right front leg can hang over the side, and carry her to the tub. You set her in the tub and have her put her front right hoof on a towel that you have draped over the side of the tub. The towel is getting wet on the side draping into the tub, but it was never intended to be a drying towel anyway.

You close the door and assume your spot on the mat. “Are you comfy?” She nods, “Do you need anything?” She shakes her head for no. You wanted to make sure that everything was perfect, this filly would grow up to take care of countless others; you just couldn’t let her down.

You get out the shampoo, and begin lathering it into her mane. Normally she kept her hair up, but having let her hair down for the bath you notice just how much she has. Still, it is only medium long, so you are able to get it all lathered in only twenty seconds.

Once her mane is fully lathered you ask her to tilt her head back so that you can wash out her mane without getting any suds in her eyes. About seven rinses later and her light pink mane is clean.

Now comes the tricky part. You need her to lift her tail so that you can wash it. But you don’t want to ask her to stand on her hurt leg. As you mentally begin planning how you’re going to wash her tail with her not standing, a look of understanding comes over Redheart’s face. She smiles appreciatively, and eases her way down into the tub. You try to stop her, but she has already limped into position. You don’t like this setup, but she smiles at you, trying to convince you it’s fine.

Not wanting to waste time, you begin lathering her tail. Her tail is even longer than her mane, but since she’s just a little filly, it still only takes about twenty five seconds. You then cup your hands and scoop up a handful of warm water from the tub. You quickly pour it over her tail, and after repeating this seven more times, her tail is clean.

You would normally have given her toys, but that would be insensitive since she can’t play with them right now. You decide to make up for it by spending extra time with her later.

With the bath finally over, you pick her up and set her on the mat beside you. You try to work out drying her without asking her to stand, but despite your wishes, she is standing. Her leg may be hurt, but her smile is warm and deep and genuine. You begin drying her off, and before long you have her lower half dry. This allows her to sit on her hind legs, thus allowing both of you to relax and finish the drying.

You decide to re-bandage her leg. You ask her to hold it out if she can, which she does. You slowly unwrap it and are glad to see that it looks better than the last time you did this. “Well… it looks a lot better dear… it should be better in a week or so.”

She has a strong spirit, but is glad to hear that she’ll soon have a strong leg to match. You disinfect the wound, which stings a little. Redheart whimpers a little. Thankfully this is over in a few moments. You check to see if she’s alright, and she nods, trying to tell you that she is. She seemed to be able to bear it, but your heart couldn’t take another whimper.

You rub some medicinal ointment on her knee before wrapping it in clean bandages. Satisfied that your work here is done, you pack up your bath bag and get ready to carry her to bed. “Kiss it make it bed-er” you hear pleading from behind you. You turn around to see her leaning up towards you pleadingly.

“Oh, of course I will dear.” As you pick her up into your arms, you start to kiss the wound like she asked you. You are surprised when she gives you one on the forehead. You reflexively pull back in surprise, and look back at her. She smiles at you, “You seemed worried. I not want you to feel bad. I kiss it, make it bed-er!”

You hold back the flood of feels boiling inside you at the moment. Even at her young age, even hurt, she was looking out for others. You kiss her knee causing her to giggle. You both break down laughing, both glad that someone is looking out for you.

Author's Note:

This Memorial Day, I wanted to do something special. Regardless of nationality or race, space or time, we all live the way we do thanks to the sacrifices of others who have fought for us. This means our soldiers obviously, but our doctors as well, and everyone who has ever made any level of sacrifices for others. They are all overworked, and all undervalued. So this memorial day, I implore you: remember those who have died for you, and appreciate those that still live for you. A toast: to all the real heroes in the world, thank you all.