• Published 2nd Apr 2013
  • 1,965 Views, 15 Comments

Dawn of a New World - KingBrony



Destruction. Tragedy. The End. How can one live in this new world?

  • ...
4
 15
 1,965

Bonus - Metal Slug

The stallion known as Metal Slug opened his eyes. There he found himself staring at death. This is the end for me, I just know it, he thought to himself as he simply stared on. There was a blue light around him, warm and cold at the same time, soft and rough to feel. It was Canterlot he could see, the great castle that he had only seen once before in his life, when he was just a colt. Now, it looked to be just another ruin. But, these ruins were not empty.

*********

"I can't believe we lost them!"

Metal Slug was a big stallion. He didn't have the stamina to continue chasing the group of mares into the desert. His companions Prickle Pine and Dusty Cloud were close behind, looking to fall over from exhaustion. Dusty looked as if he wanted to keep going, but Metal Slug threw a giant hoof in his way.

"It's too late. Let the desert consume them. We have to head back." The stallion had a scar over one eye; a brawl from before the world ended left the mark on his face. He quickly turned back to return to Las Pegasus.

"We could have gotten so much from them!" Prickle Pine whined. She was a green unicorn with a cactus for a cutie mark. Metal Slug didn't want to know what her special talent was; he was already tired of her voice. Her curled mane swept from side to side heavily as she trotted alongside the stallion.

Metal Slug knew a unicorn like Prickle Pine back where he came from. Before the world ended, he was a metalworker in Fillydelphia. His job wasn't anything special, but it paid the bills and put food on the table. He remembered when the Equestria Games were held a few years back. He was in charge of checking the stadium for imperfections and led a team to rebuild if needed. He had wagons full of food after that gig.

And one day, the meteors came to rip his life away from him. He had no family, but he did have a few close friends he had lost in that initial firestorm. He was at a friend's house when it happened. The meteor came crashing right through the roof, right onto...

No, that's in the past, Metal Slug thought. He didn't want to look weak anymore. He wanted to have a purpose in this world, more of a purpose than he did being a simple metalworker. When The Chosen came wandering through the remains of Fillydelphia, they were only a small group of twenty ponies, all seeking refuge. When Metal Slug joined, he immediately rose in the ranks, becoming second-in-command to the hooded pony himself.

Metal Slug didn't really care much for the religious talk of the hooded pony. He would always go on about how they were chosen to revive Equestria. He despised unicorns as well; once he knew that magic was useless, the hooded pony shunned many refugees, all because of the horn on their heads. It was at Metal Slug's insistence that the hooded pony let them join.

By now, the group was strong. Even though it was mere days since the meteors fell from the sky, the group had grown very rapidly. They were mainly based in Las Pegasus, but some ponies were considering starting up in Manehatten and attract some followers from that side of Equestria. Metal slug didn't care about those politics; as long as he could survive, it didn't matter what the other ponies did. Soon after joining up with the group, Metal Slug met Prickle Pine and Dusty Cloud. They had wandered into the group together, coming from Apple Loosa. The hooded pony met them both with open hooves, and they quickly began following Metal Slug around.

The city was silent, like always. The Chosen were very discreet in moving around; there could be dangers out there, as some ponies whispered about. Many had decided that the goddesses decided to have some sick game and torment the ponies. Others felt something greater was out there. All Metal Slug knew was that the ponies he had around him were nothing more than sheep, flocking from one idea to the next.

The Chosen made their homes mainly in the sewers of Las Pegasus. They were dark, damp, and smelly, but many had gotten used to it. Ponies would travel around the city and the outlying fields to search for goods, food, or anything useful. Metal Slug was in charge of bringing ponies into their order. Or, if they don't want to join, take some valuables instead. It was a much better job than working metal, Metal Slug quickly realized.

Whenever Metal Slug would return from outside, he would always report to the hooded pony. Nopony knew his real name, but many called him Divine. He didn't care either way, it seemed.

Divine's room was actually situated above ground, in an abandoned church in the south-eastern part of the city. It was a shabby place in the slums, but Divine used it to its fullest extent. Many of the prayer rooms were filled with stores of food; Divine made it his duty to give it out to anypony in need.

"Ah, Metal Slug. What news do you bring?" Divine had always asked this question when Metal Slug would report.

"We went scavenging in the café, but we came across a pair of mares. Looked like they had some valuables, so we tried to talk them into...joining us."

"You lie, again." Divine stared right through Metal Slug. He always had a blank expression on his face. "How many times must I tell you; you can't force them to do anything!"

"I didn't force anything on them!"

"And is that why they are not here?"

Metal Slug stepped back. As soon as he joined, he always took ponies in by force before letting them know what they were about. It was like metal; beat the rough square pieces first and bend them to whatever shape was needed. The ponies he had successfully recruited were either too scared to run, or too desperate to fend for themselves. Divine went to pick up a book off of the large table in the center of the room. He placed it on a shelf before turning back to Metal Slug.

"You can't do whatever pleases you just because you are a follower of our gods." He said. "They didn't choose you so you can bully and cheat your way through our new world."

The stallion didn't care for Divine's gods at all. The Chosen were a growing group of ponies who had all suffered loss. It was up to each of them to make their own way. If some are weak, it can't be helped. Metal Slug respected Divine, but sometimes he thought the pony crazy.

"I understand."

"Do you?"

Metal Slug nodded. What does he want of me?

"Then, you won't object to staying within the confines of this city until further notice, right?"

He plans to keep me close so I won't run off again. "Of course. Prickle Pine and Dusty Cloud too?"

"Especially them." Divine's voice was rough, which didn't fit his meek stature.

Metal Slug only nodded again before leaving the church. "He just wants me handing out food to the refugees and walking the city." He said under his breath. Ponies around him were ragged and weak, mothers and fillies who did what they could to survive. A stallion like Metal Slug would hate to be stuck tending to the weak.

*********

Weeks came and went as Metal Slug and his companions shifted to charity duty. As others came into The Chosen's care, Metal Slug ended up giving food out to hungry refugees. Soon enough, The Chosen were large enough to populate half of Las Pegasus. Many came from all parts of Equestria, from the south in Apple Loosa, to areas like Vanhoover and Manehatten. Some even came from Canterlot. Every pony had a story to tell, but Metal Slug didn't care for most of them.

What he did find interesting, however, was one story a mare had. She was part of the group near Manehatten, who decided that rituals should be performed to appease the gods. Divine was against that for a good while, but another pony's tale changed that.

Metal Slug was handing out food with Divine when another mare told the tale. She had a lyre for a cutie mark, and came right from Canterlot. Apparently, giant ponies came from the sky and killed the princesses. Metal Slug only laughed at that, until he noticed that the sun and moon stood still in the sky. By then, he deemed it a possibility.

Divine, however, took it as a great sign. "The gods have come to us!" He rejoiced over and over again. "He cleansed us of the wretched princesses, and now we must return our gratitude!" Many tales and rumors came about saying these gods ate anypony who used magic. As a result, Divine shunned many of the unicorns, as he feared that the gods might be angered with their presence. Some were allowed to stay, but only those who have been with The Chosen for a long time. Prickle Pine was relieved when she made the cut and was allowed to stay.

"...Any unicorn who does not believe in our ways shall be offered. Let them see for themselves that our gods are real. And let them serve the gods right then and there." Divine had changed ever since the skies stood still. He grew more lanky and laughed weirdly. There was a twinkle in his eyes that even Metal Slug found awkward. Most curious of all was what Divine told Metal Slug after finding out about this new revelation.

"I want you back on field duty. Capture any unicorns you can. Ask them if they accept our gods, the gods who let them live. If they deny, we shall use them as sacrifice."

Metal Slug had not found too many unicorns. He decided that these gods had already wiped Equestria clean of them. The ones he did find, however, immediately accepted the gods and joined The Chosen. They know, Metal Slug would think to himself.

It was a few weeks, however, before he found the right pony. Metal Slug, Prickle Pine, and Dusty Cloud were coming back from an expedition in the north. They hadn't found any unicorns, but did find a dead pegasus along one of the roads. On their way back, Prickle Pine suggested they walk along the beach. "I've always loved the beach," She said, looking out on the horizon. The sun lay dead on top of the ocean from Metal Slug's point of view.

When the amusement park came into view, Metal Slug knew that was the real reason Prickle Pine wanted to go this way. Ever since realizing that she couldn't use her magic unless she wanted to die, she didn't really have much fun going on expeditions and adventures outside of the city. She was content serving food, but Metal Slug wouldn't allow that. The amusement park was something else Prickle Pine could do to have some fun. Just the other day, she rode all of the rides so many times that one fell apart as she was still on it.

"Do we really have to?" Metal Slug said with a shake of his head. He hated being around metal ever since the world ended, and the amusement park rides were nothing but metal.

"Oh, come on! Just one more time!" Prickle Pine had never looked happier, although Metal Slug found her happiness to be annoying. I liked it better when she was sulking around, shooting ponies with magic for no reason.

A green flash in the sky changed the conversation quickly. "What was that??" Dusty Cloud said, jumping in the sand.

Prickle Pine had a stern look on her face. "That was magic. I'm sure of it...there's somepony here."

"It could be one of our own."

"They know well enough to not use their magic, especially so carelessly like that!"

With that, Metal Slug galloped off. The beach was very long, taking the stallion a good half an hour to reach the amusement park. It looked even bigger up close. Prickle Pine would have a blast with this, but we have work to do.

A weird smell came to Metal Slug's nose. It wasn't much at first, but he soon recognized the scent. The ponies that ran away from us before. They're back. He was led right to a small hut, where found the jackpot: two unicorns and a little dragon. I remember them. Yes...

When Prickle Pine and Dusty Cloud reached him, they realized it too. "Go and get Divine!" Metal Slug said to Dusty Cloud, who ran off right after.

"Are we going to take them?"

"Yeah. We have to make sure they don't wake." The three were all sleeping soundly. They looked worn out from traveling. The others must have died in the desert, and these three came crawling back up.

Divine came immediately, along with Dusty Cloud and another Stallion. There was a gleam in Divine's eyes as he nodded to Metal Slug. With that, the three were picked up and carried off.

*********

"Are you sure this is what's needed?"

Metal Slug trailed Divine as he paced around the church. "We have been fortunate enough to come across two unicorns. And you are sure these are the ponies who ran from you before?"

"Yes. Did you see the gem one had around her neck?"

"Looked like something the princesses had. I remember it from a book somewhere..." Divine shifted around in his robe. "It clearly means they are against our gods, to be clinging still to the dead princesses. Yes...they'll do perfectly."

Metal Slug still didn't care for the talk of gods, and cared even less now that he looked at Divine. He is crazy, Metal Slug thought to himself. Why will these gods think to spare us if we give them blood? They took it themselves by killing the princesses...

Many gathered to witness the gods finally making themselves visible. Those who had seen them in Canterlot were the only ones terrified, although the others assured them that they will all be spared. Yeah, spared a second death. One is enough. Divine wore his most extravagant robe as he led the ritual. The older unicorn was strapped to a stone table while hundreds looked on, cheering. All Metal Slug wanted to do right now was gallop out north, or east. To find something more interesting to do...

*********

Metal Slug stared at the Sleipnir as they hovered in the air. Canterlot Castle was teeming with them, ranging from pony-sized to monstrous ones, roaring and shaking the sky as they circled the ponies. He turned to see many of the ponies of The Chosen: mares, fillies, and stallions. Prickle Pine and Dusty Cloud were next to him, enveloped in the blue light as well. Metal Slug could hear the Sleipnir talking, but it was in a language he didn't understand. There was a look in their eyes; from that to their extra hooves, even Metal Slug was scared.

The giant one came crashing down, creating a crater where he landed. A symbol appeared on its colossal flank, changing and turning as he spoke. Metal Slug didn't know what it meant, but he believed in gods now. Let them see for themselves that our gods are real. And let them serve the gods right then and there.

Prickle Pine looked at Metal Slug with a helpless expression on her face. She was crying, but there was nothing Metal Slug could do to help as a Sleipnir took her right into its mouth in one bite. No noise came from her as she died. All Metal Slug could hear were screams of mares, cries of fillies, and the strange language the gods were speaking. Many whom he had given food and support to, many who came to him for help. I can't help them now. There was no way to move, Metal Slug found out quickly. Anything he tried only hurt him. He only stared on, watching what was happening before him. Soon enough, the sounds of other ponies died out, leaving Metal Slug alone with his captors. They all stood over him, speaking in the weird language. As big of a stallion he was, he felt helpless and scared. A strong smell filled the air, something that made Metal Slug sick all over.

It's time, he thought as some force began to move him. The giant Sleipnir opened its mouth wide, pulling the stallion right inside. All Metal Slug could hear then was the sound of twisting metal.

Comments ( 6 )

3974224 Multiple reasons, going from "it fits the tragedy I wish to hopefully portray successfully", to "I don't want to write for too many characters, given the situation of the story and the world I am building." :twilightblush:

I was told this story was completed :flutterrage: but still keep on writing it... If that's ok with you I mean :fluttershysad:

Fluttershy is badass in this story, right?

7066049 Hmm I hope she seems that way! I want to capture the conflict of personality as I move forward.

It was Canterlot he could see, the great castle that he had only seen once before in his life, when he was just a filly.

Um, I think you meant to say when Metal Slug was a colt, unless he had a sex change.

Wow! Great work, I hope the rest are finished!

Login or register to comment