• Published 16th Mar 2013
  • 1,857 Views, 102 Comments

The Strange Cases of Twilight Sparkle - DrakoGlyph



Becoming a princess is hard enough on any alicorn, but when strange things start happening in Twilight's life, Princess Celestia tasks her with researching the events!

  • ...
3
 102
 1,857

Case 25

Twilight was worried about her friends. They hadn’t awoken yet from the spell, and she hoped she hadn’t done something wrong with the memory spell to perhaps… oh Celestia… what if she overwrote the part of their memories that made them, them?

She began panicking, and that’s when Cadence appeared in her bedroom.

“Twilight, listen very close, these Strange Cases, they’re a bunch of practical jokes that the elder princesses play on new princesses…”

“What?”

“The Strange Cases aren’t actually anything to do with you…” Cadence seemed a bit off. She was tense and nervous. She hadn’t been like this since… since… Twilight couldn’t remember.

“What do you mean, Cadence? What?”

“The book… the book about the Strange Cases, do you still have it?”

“Yeah,” Twilight said, going downstairs to fetch it and coming back up very promptly to see a perfectly calm Cadence lying on Twilight’s bed, reading the copy of Daring Do and the Dragon’s Pearl that Twilight had left on her nightstand last night after dealing with Rainbow.

“Haha, Daring Do. I remember teaching you to read with Daring Do books!” Cadence said with a laugh.

“Here’s the book about the Strange Cases, Cadence, are you okay?”

“You know what I haven’t read in a while? Harry Trotter. That was such a great series of books.”

“Cadence?”

“Imagine, just imagine, if the world was like in Harry Trotter—magic kept secret from generations of Pegasi and Earth Ponies, but still threatening their existence.”

“Princess! You came here to tell me about the Strange Cases!”

“How are your friends, Twilight? Doing well, I’d suppose, I mean, I haven’t really heard of anything catastrophic befalling Equestria lately.”

“Princess Mi Amore Cadenza! Stop this fooling around! Seriously!”

“Of course, I haven’t heard much about Equestria since I moved to the Crystal Empire… it’s so isolated. All you get it word of mouth from the visitors, and even then they don’t tend to talk about much else besides ‘Oh how splendid this is’ or ‘What a grand castle you have Princess!’.”

“Okay, I’m beginning to see what’s going on here…”

“Oh, you are? Do enlighten me, why do I find myself here in your bedroom?”

“You came to talk to me about the Strange Cases, remember?”

“The what?”

“The Strange Cases that befall new princesses.”

“Never read that… I’ll see if the Crystal Library has a copy. Anyway, I should be getting back, Shining Armor sends his warmest regards to his little sis,” Cadence said, hugging Twilight, then teleporting out of her bedroom.

Case 25

I was just visited by Princess Cadence, she seemed concerned about the Strange Cases, but every time I tried to follow up with her, she seemed more and more… Pinkie Pie: pulling random ideas out of the air that were less and less about what she had come to me to talk about…

Things are becoming dire here, Princess. I fear for the fate of Equestria, whatever threat is befalling us… I’ll work on a ward spell, but you should look after Cadence.

Sincerely,

Princess Twilight Sparkle

Discord chuckled as Cadence appeared back in the hall.

“I am not your puppet, Discord,” she said, her horn charging up a magic blast.

“But you do it so well,” the smug Draconequus smiled. “Thank you for giving us some way to pull off Case 25 without using Pinkie Pie. While I do love her sense of humor, I don’t think even I could have reigned her in afterward.”

With one last glare, Cadence walked out of the hall. The moment the door slammed behind her, Luna bust out into laughter that she had only just contained.

Celestia was not impressed with her sister.

“We are going too far, Discord. Twilight may be a princess, but she has been through so much to get there, and besides, she was not born a princess, like the rest of us were,” Celestia defended.

“Tradition is tradition, Celestia, even you know that. For well over a thousand years you have been raising the sun: tradition.”

“There are some traditions that were made to be broken.”

“Is that a threat, Celestia?”

“A promise. I will find a way to let Twilight know.”

“You wouldn’t want her knowing that you were in on it too, would you?”

“Sometimes doing the right thing means sacrifice.”

“I just hope you know what you’re sacrificing.”