• Published 16th Mar 2013
  • 1,856 Views, 102 Comments

The Strange Cases of Twilight Sparkle - DrakoGlyph



Becoming a princess is hard enough on any alicorn, but when strange things start happening in Twilight's life, Princess Celestia tasks her with researching the events!

  • ...
3
 102
 1,856

Case 14

She had just set down the letter from Anonymous when a rapid knock came at her door. It seemed urgent and very anxious to get her to come to the door.

“Twilight! I know you’re in there! There’s an emergency in Town Square!”

It was Rainbow Dash, no doubt about it. She was the one sent because she was the fastest of them all, of course. Twilight opened her door and gave Rainbow the ‘Explain’ look.

“There’s this massive troll in Town Square! He’s threatening that if nopony can defeat him in a game of chess, then he will destroy the town!”

“That’s not at all how trolls behave, Rainbow. Next time you try to prank me, do some research before hand.”

“That’s what Fluttershy said you would say, but it’s true! Do I need to go get Applejack for you to believe me?”

“Fine, I’ll come see this ‘troll’ who’s terrorizing our little town.” Once they pair reached town square, sure enough, there was a giant creature, covered in bumps and pustules. It was a featureless shade of gray, covered only by a loin cloth, sitting on the fountain’s edge with a table and a chess set upon that table. It turned its gaze to Twilight the moment she became visible.

“I see there is a worthy opponent,” it grumbled out in a very deep tone.

“Alright, if it’s a bout of chess you want, I’ll face you.”

The chess board was set up with white on the troll’s side. “Your move, whelp.”

“My name is Twilight, not whelp,” Twilight grumbled herself as she moved one of her pawns forward two spaces. That’s when the troll immediately took one of his pawns and replaced Twilight’s.

“Checkmate,” he said.

“That’s not at all how chess works! If you can’t follow the rules then I will have to remove you from Ponyville by force!”

The troll immediately took the pawn he just moved and knocked over her king with it. “Checkmate. I win.” He gave a horrendous smile.

“THAT IS NOT HOW CHESS WORKS! THE PAWN CAN’T EVEN MOVE IN THAT DIRECTION!” Twilight yelled.

“It’s how chess works for me, and no one bothered to ask how the game works.”

Twilight was fuming, and her friends were expecting one or two things to happen, one, she would spontaneously combust again, or two, she would go ‘want it, need it’ crazy again.

“Don’t you know anything, Whelp? Arguing never wins anything, especially with a troll.”

“Fine! Then I will have to resort to other means to remove you!” She let her aura glow brightly and in a magenta bubble, the Troll vanished.

Still, there was something very wrong about this whole situation. Perhaps another Strange Case…

She pulled out a quill and paper later and wrote her notes:

Case 14:

A Troll came into town square and threatened to destroy our town if no pony defeated him at chess. He didn’t follow any of the rules, and when I called him on it, he knocked over my king calling checkmate! It was ridiculous! Even for all the things I have gone through lately. I ended up teleporting him somewhere, I don’t know where, but it’s nowhere near any ponies.

Sincerely,

Princess Twilight Sparkle

Discord smiled his toothy smile as Celestia read out her letter. “One of my finer works of art, the troll.”

“This should stop. It has long passed the funny stage and now is beginning to become dangerous. Twilight gets unpredictable when she is placed in stressful situations. She’s only an alicorn because she was able to finish Star Swirl’s Spell, and she’s a princess because that is what all alicorns are. I don’t think she has had enough preparation for this.”

“Always the downer, you are, Celestia.” Discord humphed before he left the room, but the feeling of his presence remained, so Celestia didn’t dare to try to write back Twilight.



Twilight gave more thought to the troll, and she began to consider the color… where has she seen such a featureless gray before?