• Published 16th Mar 2013
  • 1,856 Views, 102 Comments

The Strange Cases of Twilight Sparkle - DrakoGlyph



Becoming a princess is hard enough on any alicorn, but when strange things start happening in Twilight's life, Princess Celestia tasks her with researching the events!

  • ...
3
 102
 1,856

Case 10

Twilight dropped the letter on the table. She had been startled by it. In fact, for the past hour, that is the hour after her second trauma-induced headache of the week subsided, she had been staring at it, trying to figure out exactly what was going on.

“I just need to relax, and think about something else.” She walked past the fourteenth draft of her Royal Apology, stopping to add a comma, before heading out the door. She figured that she was even with most of her friends, well, except Fluttershy. She needed to go directly to her and apologize.

Heading out, she left Owlowiscious in charge, heading straight toward Fluttershy’s cottage. When she got there, she noticed that Fluttershy was out in the field on the right, lying in the grass.

“Well now, Ms. Barkle, that is certainly interesting.”

“Hello, Fluttershy.”

“Oh, hi, Twilight,” Fluttershy said, standing up to reveal a frou-frou dog that had Twilight’s coloring and almost her manestyle. Except that dogs don’t have manes. This struck Twilight as very strange. The dog seemed in a conversation with Fluttershy, so Twilight decided to keep it short.

“I just wanted to apologize for earlier today…” Twilight apologized briskly.

“It’s quite alright. Twilight Barkle here was telling me about this Littlest Pet Shop she came from.”

“Twilight… Barkle?” The Princess of Friendship repeated incredulously.

“That’s what she says everypony calls her.”

“Right.” Twilight was only thinking that her position was being taken over by a tiny purple dog. How ridiculous. Dogs can’t even use magic! How can that dog be the Element of Magic if she can’t use it? She laughed inside.

“Perhaps you two would like to hang out some time?” Fluttershy suggested with a large grin.

“I don’t think I have the time,” she said, pointing to an invisible watch on her foreleg.

“Twilight, you’re not even wearing a watch.”

“Uh,” she panicked and teleported her mantle-top clock to her wrist and levitated it there. “It’s right here, and it’s saying that I’m late… for something else.”

“Okay, don’t be too late. That’s not nice.” Twilight dashed off before catching some air with her wings and landing in Town Square. She trotted some ways before running into Rarity and Pinkie Pie, who were walking to the far side of town.

“Oh, hey there, Twilight!” Pinkie said.

“Ever figure out who sent you that letter?” Rarity asked.

“Not really,” Twilight answered, not sure who was in on this little prank as she supposed it was. “I’ve just been out on a little walk to clear my mind.”

“We’re heading out to see this cool thing called a Transformer,” Pinkie offered, “care to join us?”

“I guess…” Twilight was wondering what Pinkie could have meant by Transformer. She supposed it meant a unicorn with powers over transfiguration. She proceeded with the two toward the edge of town, where there was a metal robot shaped like a pony.

“GAH! Kelpie Technology!” Rarity shouted, only to garner looks from all the others in the crowd. “Well… I suppose that was a bit of a hasty conclusion.”

“My name is Megatrot. I come in peace.” The machine emitted in a metallic, monotone voice.

“I don’t see why they call it a Trans—“ Twilight began before the metal pony started to move, bending unnaturally at joints and even at places where there weren’t joints on a normal pony. Soon, it floated there in mid-air as a gyrocopter.

“That was rather impressive,” Rarity said, “but it is still Kelpie technology.”

“What’s wrong with it?” Twilight asked.

“Oh, I forgot, your weeahoof.”

“Her what?” Pinkie probed.

Weeahoof. Extreme support of the Kelpie.” She put her nose in the air and trotted off.

“Rarity!” Twilight called as she became aware of a loud beeping. First, it was slow, then it grew louder and faster until it hit a high pitch that Twilight was sure would shatter her eardrums. She determined it was coming from Megatrot. Fire emitted from its joints as it started to fail. Twilight immediately raised a shield around it as it exploded into a thousand pieces, cracking her shield spell to almost the point of failure.

“I told you,” Rarity scolded without turning around, “they will take over the world.”

Twilight rolled her eyes and decided that she needed to visit Applejack. She needed to settle that her forehead was not a great place to make hoofprints. Perhaps she could come up with a more tactful way to say that on her way out to Sweet Apple Acres.

Applejack was hauling some hay into the barn when Twilight approached.

“Howdy,” Applejack greeted, “How’s yer head?”

“It’s getting better… very, very slowly.”

“Ah’m mighty sorry fer what I caused,” AJ replied.

“It’s fine. Really. It’s fine.” There were voices coming from inside the barn.

“Who’s that?”

“Oh, Ah got this strange crop of berries this year. Ah think some of Discord’s magic was left in the soil. They grew into these… beings. Ah mean, Ah think that they’re what Lyra’s always talkin’ about. Them… humans.”

“What do you mean?”

“Just follow me into the barn. Ah can’t really explain it.” When they opened the barn, there were two little, furless beings that where sitting up on their haunches, looking at Twilight and Applejack with what she supposed where happy expressions. They had digits on their forelegs, and used them to hold onto the teacups. Their skin was a fleshy combination of pinks and peaches, but perched atop their heads were berry shaped hats.

“Uh…”

“Ah don’t know what to do with ‘em,” Applejack said confused, “Ah don’t know if we can eat their hats, let them free, or what.” There was some concern in the farmer’s voice. Twilight wasn’t sure either.

“I think Lyra will take them for you…” Twilight proffered, retreating from the stares of Strawberry Shortcake and her friend. She flew up to Rainbow’s house, and knocked on the door.

“Twi?” she asked, only opening the door wide enough to let a sliver of her rose eye show through so she could determine the visitor.

“Can I come in? All this crazy stuff has been appearing all around town. I need a break.”

“I’m… busy.” She said, closing the door abruptly.

“Come on, what do you have in there that you don’t want me to see? I thought we were friends!”

“Well…” Rainbow replied. “You have to promise that you will never tell anypony. EVER!” Her rose eye peered out the slightly ajar door again.

“I promise never to tell anypony,” Twilight promised.

“Okay…” she said, hanging on the word and opening the door to reveal that, strewn all across the room, were little teddy-bear looking things with all sorts of cutie marks on their bellies.

“What are these things?” Twilight asked.

“They’re called ‘Care Bears.’” She seemed a little agitated that anypony knew she had these. “This one’s Sunshine Bear, this one’s Grumpy.” She proceeded to list off all the bears in the room. They seemed to be as diverse in fur color as ponies, and the marks on their bellies seemed to represent something about them the same way that cutie marks represented ponies.

“I guess I’ll let you get back to it, Rainbow,” Twilight finally said, after being introduced to all the cast and crew. “See you later.”

The lavender princess flew back out of Rainbow’s house and back to the Library. With all these new things here in Ponyville, she figured she would write Celestia about it. Perhaps it was a case. That, and she really needed to draft her Royal Apology again.

Case 10:

All of these strange things have appeared in Ponyville. There was first this little puppy that looked so much like me that I was beginning to get scared. Then there was this robot thing that Rarity swore was from the Kelpies. They called it a Transformer. I went to visit Applejack, and she had these furless, berry-themed characters in her barn. How strange is that? I finally visit Rainbow… well, she made me promise I wouldn’t tell anyone what I saw there, but suffice it to say that it was very, very strange.

She seemed into them, though.

Your Most Faithful Student,

Princess Twilight Sparkle


Dearest Twilight

What you are describing there is a little bleeding over from other galaxies in our local area called “Cross-overs.” This tends to happen a lot, especially in the off season, when things aren’t as hectic here. Either way, they aren’t much to be concerned about, they’ll all return to their own reaches soon. I am concerned about Rainbow’s Care Bear collection, though. Oh, wait… I’m not supposed to know about that, am I?

Sincerely,

Princess Celestia


Dear Queen Kagome of the Kelpie

Our Scout has spontaneously exploded. I do think we need to put less time into making it transform and more time into researching coolant systems.

Your Most Faithful Student,

Twilight Spark


Dearest Twilight Spark,

It was said by our God, the All-Spark, that we are to build them to transform, or he shall not bestow us more electrical prowess. For now, I must ask that you continue to build them with transformation capabilities.

Sincerely,

Queen Kagome of the Kelpie