• Published 11th Mar 2013
  • 9,213 Views, 1,148 Comments

How my Little Brother Became an Alicorn - WiseFireCracker



I used to love that premise. I thought it made for a fun debate of nature vs nurture and all that. I just never expected it to happen. Now Tom's gone and I don't know what to do!

  • ...
52
 1,148
 9,213

The Jump

Never before had I experienced anything like this.

Not in a good way…

The world had gone mad. It was beyond even Discord’s bizarre version of Equestria. At least then, there had been space. Yet something was still pulling me down. I was falling through nothingness.

Bright colors spiraled around me, a kaleidoscope of orange, yellow, pink and white. It gave me vertigo to stare at it too long, but I could not close my eyes. My body did not respond. I could not even tell if I still had one. I barely felt anything. I simply… observed as logic flew out of the window.

I found myself wondering why I could not even feel panic. Nothing. It was as if I had been stripped bare of any emotion… except a burning desire to leave this place behind me.

Abstract forms danced, circling white jumped over orange squares, pink triangles span and span, endlessly, yellow tendrils stretched in all directions. Soon, there was nothing in my mind but this all-compassing madness.

The colors spread. It seemed to chase me, as I was falling and not falling. I could see it all.

Yellow.

Yellow.

Yellow.

--

“Twilight!” The small dragon’s voice echoed in the library. “Twilight, it’s finally here!”

“What is, Spike?” The alicorn asked, eyes shifting from the cover of one book to another.

Her nose had been into her researches all morning long. She literally hadn’t seen the light of the day yet.

“Princess Celestia’s letter!”

Twilight’s head snapped toward her number one assistant, somehow managing to drop every one of her books delicately while staring very intently at the scroll between Spike’s claws. Quickly, she made her way over to him and nodded.

Clearing his throat, Spike broke the seal and started to read. “My dear Twilight, I have decided on the appropriate course of action toward Ponyville’s newest resident…”

--

Shapes and colors, so few, so scarce… but what little there was forced itself together. A thousand variant of the same color, endlessly reforming the same silhouette.

Yet, I had no idea what it was meant to be. The image ticked off my memories, but it was not enough to gain recognition.

What was I looking at?

It looked a little like a dragon… a little like a pony…

What is it?

I had no idea, but it never stayed the same. It became something else the instant I could get a better look at it. So far, it had change twelve times. That was the number I had come up with, but then again, I could not really back up my claim.

It just changed, changed and changed.

It kept changing.

On and on.

--

He was feeling a little down today. H-he hadn’t cried! No way! He wasn’t a baby!

But it did hurt when Rarity had looked at him like that. He had just tried to help…

Okay, he screwed it up really badly… Still, Sam wouldn’t have left him all alone with this big knot of guilt in his throat, right?

The little colt curled up on himself, his own wings serving as his blankets. It was a bit cold outside today. The breeze kept brushing on his fur, which was a funny tickling sensation, really, but it also made him shivered more often. He didn’t like it. Plus, having fur was a bit disappointing. He wouldn’t get to learn how to shave like Dad, would he? Sam promised he’d show him how to!

Okay, Sam had had that little grin that infuriated him back then, like he was too small to understand, but still, a Pinkie Promise!

Reminded of one of his favorites, the colt turned his head around, looking over the edge of the town hall’s balcony, perhaps in the hope of seeing that pink pony he liked so much. S-she had been a little mad at him too…

Luckily though, the streets of Ponyville were not buzzing with their usual activity. They were… hopelessly deserted…

The weather might be the reason for it too. Nopony truly appreciated getting their coat wet. They’d much rather stay inside with their families and share a nice hot meal.

Tom felt his heart skip a beat. All of a sudden, he really didn’t want to go out and have fun today. He missed Sam and Mom and Dad.

Not crying… he was not crying…

He was just a little lonely.

--

How long had this gone on? How long had I fallen through the endless abyss of this place? There was nothing here, but the weirdest freak color show I had ever been given the chance to contemplate. I was trapped inside this loop.

I wanted to be freed. I had so much more important things to do than decipher the form of shape shifting colors.

I just wish I could get to Tom already!

Because it had to have worked, it had to have been the right way. How could this be possible otherwise? Even a hallucination would have move onto something else by now. Can I just get to Equestria now?!

Something changed. I felt it in the air… the atmosphere grew… restless.

The ever changing colors moved faster, becoming blurry lines rather than forms, expending in diversity other than just a sickeningly bright combination. Green and blue joined the palette, others appeared as well, in a progressively more complex way. Lines were becoming more defined now… more clean-cut.

And those lines were creating a landscape, of grassy fields and trees.

I was in Equestria.

This had actually happened.

Holy fuck… I could barely wrap my head around it. Even after wishing for this for what felt like an eternity now, I still had trouble believing this was really happening.

I did not recognize the exact location I was in, but the way the world was remained unmistakable. This was definitely 'My Little Pony'.

Then, as if reminded of their existences, I was assaulted by a plethora of sensations, from all five of my senses. What I had lost in that transition had come back with a vengeance.

The first thing I felt was an overwhelming impression of wrongness. I was not how I should be.

Having finally control over my eyes, I could look down at the arms I knew were sprayed across the grass. They were golden yellow horse legs.

For a moment, my mind came to a halt.

I knew it was coming or rather I had strongly suspected it would, but this was still spreading numb cold throughout my whole being.

I was not human anymore. Not in body.

Not human… not freaking human…

A powerful curse escaped my lips. Even then, it had an uncanny dissimilarity to what it should have been. Some of my thoughts were… censored? It felt as if some of them were being transformed before they had fully formed and it resulted in… friendlier… terms than I would have used.

It wasn’t the worst though. Everything about myself was wrong, in new and strange ways. Heck, I had a tail! Pony, but still, WHY?! I was getting feelings of cold and touch from places I never had before. Case in point, my shoulder blade were linked to two new limbs.

“This is weird…” I muttered, turning my head to stare at the golden wings adorning my back. “Am I…?”

My hoof went to my head, where I had been getting a small impression of unbalanced weight. It seemed just a little… well, like my forehead was harder than it ought to be.

I touched my horn with a flat round hoof and got freaked out from the response that came both ways.

“Urgh… I am just as Sueish as Tom. Great…” My eyes twitched, though it stopped when a thought hit me. “Well, this does make it easier to explain that I’m his big brother.”

Belatedly, I wondered how far from Ponyville I was at the moment. How would I get there? I certainly wasn’t going to try flying. I wasn’t even sure I could walk.

…I really ought to have put more thought into this.

With a grunt, I folded my legs under me, planting them all firmly into the ground. Then, with a push, I stood up. This success made me smile.

“Why does it feel like I’ve accomplished something?” I sighed, rolling my eyes.

Again, I focused my attention entirely on my legs, ignoring the inherent weirdness of standing on all four so naturally. I had to figure out how to walk, I just went from two legs to four.

Hesitantly, I moved one hoof. After that though… I was stuck. One leg stretched forward, three firmly vertical and me leaning forward like an idiot, I was freaking stuck. I had no idea which leg to move next. I tried to picture the ponies in the show, but my memory chose that moment to fail me completely. Finally, I gave it a shot, randomly.

Tangling my own legs, I fell face first against the ground.

How the hell did Tom manage to get the hang of this so quickly?! I really wasn’t giving him enough credit if he figured it out on his own so fast. Tch, whatever, I’ll just stand up and walk.

On its own, my body moved and took a few steps.

My jaw dropped.

“T-the hay?!” I looked at my hooves like they were on fire. “How did I…?”

I had simply thought of walking and…

A few steps.

I blinked. This is… disturbing…

S-somewhere, in my brain, the influx had been redirected the right way, even if I hadn’t done it correctly myself. I could think what I wanted to do and it would work, I couldn’t do it myself…

The feeling of alienation I was experiencing grew ten times worse. Wrong… wrong… wrong…

“ARGH! I can’t stop to think about this crap! I’m in Equestria, so I gotta find Tom!” I shouted, before scanning my surroundings more attentively.

I did not recognize this place. If it was in the show, then I had missed it or forgotten it altogether. What now?

Nothing beats being well-prepared, eh? At least that’s what I tell Tom when we go camping. I grunted, annoyed at my own thoughts.

Truth to be told, I had been acting on instinct for a while now. I had been constantly put on the defensive, forced to react to every event that made my hopes crash down and burn. Was it any wonder I had started to lash out?

I could not find it in myself to care all that much. All I could focus now was on finding a way to get to Tom and getting him out of here.

Moved by yet another new instinct, my eyes went to the sky, observing the endless blue space. It was… like being called by name. Simple, yet it instantly grabs one’s attention. Whispers reached my ears, so many voices that echoed aimlessly.

I found myself understanding weather patterns and the movement of winds, with just a glance.

Gary Stu status is mine. I grimaced, but not for long. I’ll take it. I’d rather not have to learn all this stuff just to get out of here. Still, I have to find Tom before anything can happen.

With a sigh, I started walking.

There were a fair bit of storm clouds in that direction, but by the time I got there, it would already be over.

I just knew.

A shiver went down my spine.

I’ll find you, Tom. I’m coming.

--
He had been slowly drifting to sleep when the voices first pulled him out of his daydreaming. They were filled with urgency, but more importantly, they were calling his name. Well, his name here, because he couldn’t be just Tom here. He was the super cool alicorn Blade Darkblaze!

Anyway, he knew who was calling him and he would not answer. Rarity had been mean about his mistake and he wasn’t in the mood to get a lecture by Twilight!

Gosh, she was so annoying! She kept lecturing him every time they met!

“You should not use your power so irresponsibly, Blade. Your control over your magic is rudimentary, I can help you be more collected about it. Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.”

That last one had been said by Sam once before, but he never remembered the context around it.

Still, not important. Twilight just kept bugging him! Why couldn’t she leave him alone?

“Blade! Please come on out!” Her voice rang through the street.

The colt scooted closer to the barrier, crouching to make sure she wouldn’t see him anyway. Luckily, at this height, she would have trouble seeing him even if she looked directly in his direction. And that was even a stretch.

The lavender alicorn was running down the streets, her eyes wide with panic.

“Blade? I need to talk to you.” She called again.

Eh, fat chance of me telling you where I am. The little colt smirked.

He’d sooner let her get soak in the rain than reply. Unfortunately, the sky had apparently gotten much clearer since he had taken that little nap.

“Twilight!” Another mare appeared, coming from around the corner of a street.

This time, the orange and blonde colors made him grin. Applejack was here. He hadn’t seen much of her since his first day. It was a bit weird that she was ever around though and he didn’t like it much. With Rainbow Dash not speaking to him and Pinkie being Pinkie, Tom hadn’t gotten much of a chance to spend time with his best ponies.

He was almost tempted to get down just to get down to say “hi”, but the prospect of a lecture held him firmly nailed to the ground. Besides, they had walked close enough for him to hear them anyway.

“Applejack! Have you seen him?”

“That lil’ fella’s nowhere to be seen. Ah asked around, but nopony saw him today. Real weird, if ye ask me.” The cowpony shook her head.

At the words, Tom could not hold in a chuckle.

That was a bit of a mistake.

“Oh I cannot believe he was hiding under our muzzles all this time,” Twilight muttered, bringing a hoof to her face.

Her friend’s reaction, on the other hand, was much more… proactive.

“Rainbow Dash, get him!” Applejack screamed.

As if that had been an universal cue, the cyan pegasus flew out of nowhere to the other two mares’ position. With just a nod and a pointed hoof, she was redirected toward the colt hiding on top of the town hall. “You got it, AJ.”

“Ho-oh…” Tom said, seeing Rainbow Dash fly straight toward him.

Scrambling to his hooves, the little alicorn opened his wings to take off, but a sudden gust of blue wind made him flinch backward.

“Gotcha!” Rainbow Dash said triumphantly, landing on the rails and crossing her hooves in a “cool” pose.

However, simply telling the colt he had been caught was far from enough to clench the frustration and the rebellion built up in that small body. In fact, Tom grimaced and sent a venomous glare at his idol.

“You don’t have me!” He yelled and charged.

With a jolt, Rainbow Dash jumped to the side, unfortunately leaving a clear path for the kid.

Had he been less blinded by his anger, he might have noticed how she had bitten her bottom lips just as he had started moving. As it stood, Tom simply took off.

“Nice going, Rainbow!” Her friend’s voice came from below. The tone was… less than friendly. “We said we had to make him come see the Princess with us!”

“Hey, I didn’t want to hurt the kid, okay? I’ve seen the look on his face enough to know!” She turned to the blue shape in the sky, with a grin. “Besides, he didn’t get away from me yet.”

On the ground, Twilight and Applejack barely had the time to blink before a blur and a rainbow trail painted a line straight toward the fleeing colt.

“Oh no… the guards will arrive soon and we still haven’t gotten to explaining it to him.” The poor alicorn whispered, biting her hoof. Her eyes started shifting around. “Oh no, oh no, oh no!”

A warm contact on her shoulder got her attention. “Calm down, Twi. The kid’s stubborn as a mule – no offense.” She turned out of habit, but was confounded when no mule had been there to reply.

This was enough to get a laugh out of her friend. “Yes, you’re right, Applejack. If we explain it calmly, I’m sure he’ll come to his sense.”

The earth pony blinked. “But Ah didn’t… ah, forget it. Let’s go help Rainbow.”

“Yes, let’s help her!” Pinkie Pie agreed.

“Pinkie?! When did ye-” Applejack jumped, before cutting her question short. The answer might be worse than the mystery. You never knew with Pinkie Pie.

“What are we doing exactly?” She tilted her head, eyes wide and brimming with innocence.

“I received a letter from the Princess asking me to prepare for a trip to Canterlot,” Twilight explained. “She wants a private audience with us and Blade, but he won’t listen.”

“Okey dokey loki!” Pinkie giggled. “I’m going to get Fluttershy and Rarity. The more, the merrier, and the better the party!”

“Pinkie…” Applejack frowned.

“I know.” The pink mare nodded. “This is serious. But it never hurts to be prepared for a surprise ‘We’re-back-from-Canterlot Party’!” She shook with excitement, before shooting off like a rocket in the distance.

“Eh, go figures.”

“Yeah, but let’s get on with the chase, shall we? I’d be more at ease if we were actively trying to solve this problem.”

“You got it, Twi. Don’t worry.” Applejack nodded.

They both started running, following the clear path lead out by the multicolored trail in the sky. With it, giving Blade the chase turned from a frustrating exercise to a rather simple one.

However, simple did not mean short.

The colt clearly had no intention of making this easy and while Rainbow Dash was much faster than him, she could not quite catch him without risking sending them both quarreling. Not a big deal for her, but she would rather not have a kid’s injuries on her conscience.

“Come on, kiddo! You can’t actually outspeed me.” She yelled after him, getting annoyed at his antics. “Can’t you just come with us quietly?”

“No way!” Tom replied instantly, shouting over his shoulder.

With a roll of her eyes and a sigh, the pegasus accelerated. “Okay, but remember, you asked for it.”

The colt didn’t have the time to reply. Coming out of nowhere, the mare had slipped in front of him, forcing him to drastically turn to his left. Into an alley, between two rooftops.

“Surprise!”

“Whoa!” He yelped, tumbling into a pink inflatable thing.

Tom lost control of his flight completely, ramming into the wall of the object. To his surprise though, he simply harmlessly bounced off its edge, straight into a bunch of streamers and sticky ropes.

With a loud noise, the thing crashed into the ground, as did the colt inside.

Thankfully, he hadn’t been injured, but all these sudden jolts had gotten him dizzy. His eyes were spinning and he could barely make out the shapes and voices around him.

“Hum… is he okay?” Fluttershy stepped out of her hiding place, a concern look on her face.

“Yeah, don’t worry! My special Pinkie cage is one hundred percent harmless. It’s full of fluff and balloon.”

“Yes… remind us, darling, why you had this… cage lying around behind the spa?” Rarity raised a delicate eyebrow at her friend.

Twilight, Applejack and Rainbow Dash all seemed to secretly agree, but knew better than to ask.

“You never know when you might need it.” She shrugged, before reaching into the cage and pulling out a now recovered alicorn.
Struggling against the grip, he only managed to entangle himself more.

“Hey! What gives?!” The colt protested loudly, fighting the elastic restraints as best as he could.

For a second, Rainbow Dash wondered why watching him squirm was not more satisfying. After the annoyance that had been giving him chase, she had expected a least a little joy at being done, but no, this was not really fun. If anything, it reminded her of Scootaloo when the filly decided to be difficult.

She couldn’t decide if that was a bad influence or a good one.

But it mattered not, as Twilight took the opportunity to step up and finally get a chance to talk to the kid.

“Alright, now that we have your attention, Blade, can we please talk? The royal guards will be here soon and-”

She was interrupted by a loud crack of thunder.

Surprised, the ponies all exchanged a glance and tried to spot who could have triggered a storm cloud for no reason. However, their endeavors were cut short by a much louder sound, of a volume they had learned to associate with a certain royal pony of the night. The tone used left no doubt about the intention behind them either.

“LET HIM GO!”