• Published 11th Mar 2013
  • 9,196 Views, 1,148 Comments

How my Little Brother Became an Alicorn - WiseFireCracker



I used to love that premise. I thought it made for a fun debate of nature vs nurture and all that. I just never expected it to happen. Now Tom's gone and I don't know what to do!

  • ...
52
 1,148
 9,196

Loss of Control

I drew a blank.

There were things for me to say, for me to do. Back away, break contact, try a muffled protest or high skies forbid I kiss back in kind.

Her body was against me, with only the slightest, most fleeting, most electrifying touch running on my skin. Twilight was giving herself into that simple act. She was inexperienced, obviously, and the illusion had fooled her, having her first kiss the top of my mouth alone.

But… Oh Elders… if my blood wasn’t boiling in my veins. My eyes, wide opened with surprise, had already lost focus while instincts screamed for me to respond. I couldn’t organize my thoughts.

I… I’m n-not… I s-should…

Just then, building up from deep inside her, a low, guttural moan rose in her throat, tingling at my ears. It was a sound of pure desire and lust.

My defenses fell.

Throwing myself forward, I took control, making her gasp in surprise.

Forcing her lips open, I pushed my tongue in her mouth. After but a second of hesitation, Twilight responded in kind, sending small waves of pleasure through our minds and bodies. My thoughts were hazy.

One of my hooves slid off her shoulder, brushing off against the tip of her wing. Normally, that would have produced a flinch and maybe even a recoil. It didn’t come. Soon, a light touch encased the responsible limb, a feathery touch.

On my flanks, the muscles in my wings were tingling, answering to that call. Heat was traveling all the way down to my groin. If I had any resistance left, it vanished.

I wanted her, just her. To be mine to take, to possess entirely. I wanted her to feel it, reaching all the way to her core.

Just then though, Twilight’s body hiccupped and our mouth broke apart. As soon as that had happened, I heard her gasp, gulping air greedily, with her eyes close.

The spell had been broken… somewhat. Slowly, we broke out from our embrace, a thin trail of saliva lingering between our mouths. My blood was pulsing against my temples. It… it had been…

“I…” Twilight’s chest was raising quickly, the experience having left her short of breath.

Not that I was any better.

“Whoa…” I whispered, my heart fluttering in my chest. I was trying, without great success, to cool off this burning desire.

My previous cautions were already harder to remember. Intellectually, it was so easy to reason that getting into a relationship with a mare you previously wanted to manipulate into bailing you out of one dimension was spectacularly stupid. Not to mention that it sounded pretty horrible when I thought about it that way. But then, she looked at me with those eyes. With her cheeks darkened, her mane a little out of place and a light of naivety in her gaze that was just damn cute. The smart, reasonable thoughts came back, albeit dampened by the lust hammering against my brain.

The room just got hotter again.

“Was… was I any good?”

Heart attack approaching in three… two… one…

“Well, it is like anything else,” I said with a tender smile, leaning forward. “It takes plenty of practice. And preferably a willing teacher.”

Her breath hitched, her blush growing darker, but it was not embarrassment. Twitches ran through her wings and her tail, the sound of heart beating against her chest was strong enough for me to pick it up. But she stood still, her gaze completely transfixed by mine.

“I promise you,” she said in a shaking flirty tone. “I’m a good student.”

Of course, the library had to start shaking like a leaf at that precise moment. Hello, moodkiller.

“What’s going on?!” Twilight immediately shouted, her head snapping toward the ceiling. She had almost started walking up the stairs when it all stopped.

And though I could be ashamed of it later, I felt a familiar twitch of annoyance at the all too common occurrence of Tom cockblocking me. Even when he wasn’t in the room.

“It’s my brother,” I grunted, easily catching up what had been said previously.

Surprisingly, what I heard made me feel pretty proud. The brave little squirt. Under my breath, I said a few words to tell him precisely what he should expect once we get back for his intervention just now.

Or at least that’s what I’ll let him think. It couldn’t hurt to keep him a bit paranoid about surveillance, that should curb in some of his worst outbursts.

All for your own good, I cackled mentally. Being a big brother was awesome sometimes.

“T-that was him?!” Twilight finally digested the news.

“Sure was,” I said with a resigned tone.

For a second, she kept staring at me expectantly, then with a growing insistence as I remained immobile. “Shouldn’t we go check up on them?”

Slowly, I rose a hoof and pointed at my ears. “No need for that.”

It only took her a few seconds to take that in, surprisingly. “Y-you can hear them?”

“All the way up to…” I crunched up my muzzle in frustration. “Ah, the name evades me…”

“C-Canterlot?” She asked, with what I thought was a hint of hope.

For some reason, I really wanted to show off now. “I’m afraid that’s not the one I’m looking for. It’s a bit farther than that.”

Silence hung between us after this little bombshell. Twilight’s eyes were as wide as saucers, and her mouth was silently articulating ‘farther’.

“I… see…” She looked away awkwardly. “T-then… how are those two faring together?”

I shrugged with both wings nonchalantly, feeling a gentler warmth seeping through my chest. “It’s going well. They’re becoming friends over some common grounds.”

“O-oh, that’s good.” Then, she added more sincerely, enthusiastically. “Great actually! I was thinking that Spike was not seeing any of his friends enough these days!”

“Tom’s a terrible influence on Spike though,” I added mischievously.

Her brows furrowed together. “I’m not sure I want to know what you mean by that.”

At that, I could not hold in a chuckle. “Oh, trust me, you don’t.”

And added nothing, leaving her hanging on my lips.

Now, that’s not a bad idea…

“Don’t do that!” She pouted, punching me lightly on the shoulder. “Now I really want to go check up on them.”

Apparently, working up the courage to kiss me had left her bolder than ever. I certainly liked that new aspect of Twilight. It had its appeal, especially if it meant more action. Speaking of which…

“Can I safely bet that you would like me as your coltfriend?” I asked, letting a bit of hope filter through.

As if voicing it had suddenly beaten the bold out of her, Twilight froze. To her credit, it only lasted a second. “Yes… I guess you could say that. That is… if you feel the same way…” Her last words had felt weaker than the rest, but she held on.

To that, I offered a proud grin, melting away her fear. She returned the smile, albeit a little less strongly.

Then, reality caught up with me. I felt, ironically, as if the wind had been sailed out of me. “But I do not doubt that a princess suddenly dating a unicorn that came out of nowhere, while a few alicorns vanish from the public’s eye, no less, will bring about the wrong kind of attention again.”

Her ears drooped down, as did her gaze. “Yeah…”

“There is always the possibility of simply teleporting directly into each other’s home, but I do not think you would appreciate that system for long,” I said, voicing my immediate thoughts.

“N-no, of course not,” she said faintly, with a slightly distant look in her eyes. Had she been imagining something?

“The disguise is good enough to fool anypony, that’s not the problem…”

“I guess I could try to visit you.” Already, the gears were shifting behind her eyes. “I did say I was not opposed to being your brother’s tutor.”

For a split second, I was tempted to accept, but I forced myself to perish the thought.

“That time really ought to be dedicated to Calx. I… I’m not going to steal some time he could use.”

“O-oh. Yes, of course.” She bit her lips, frowning sadly.

“That’s not to say you didn’t have the right idea.” I gave her a quick nuzzle to cheer her up. “Isn’t it a good thing that I am currently posing as an intellectual? Probably eager to learn all he can learn from books or even the Princess of Magic herself?”

Slowly, her frown morphed into a sly smile. Her tone became smooth and teasing. “I’ll go prepare your library card, Ventus.”

“Remember to make it for ‘Cloud Circle’!” I chuckled, dodging the flick of her tail aimed at my face for that comment. It kinda tickled.

Muttering about paperwork, remembering the forms by name, Twilight eagerly went to the stairs leading to the library where we had left the boys.

My mood had sobered a lot. I knew deep down that this would not end well. I could not get into a relationship, not in my current state of mind being a veritable ticking bomb, not with me still clinging to the hope Celestia would find the way to send us home. T-this was more of an attraction to her than a real desire for love…

And I had an inkling of an idea as to what had made her attracted to me. Unfortunately, that also brought some previous words exchanged to her to my mind.

It would kill her good mood, to the upmost, and parts of me really weren’t thrilled about it either, but I felt like I had a responsibility as a good coltfriend to help her in any way I could. And that involved not dropping an issue that had her so close to tears before.

“Twilight!” I called after her, putting enough urgency in my tone to stop dead in her track.

“What’s wrong?” She called back, frowning with worry.

Closing my eyes for a second, I fought the sudden impulse to pretend it was nothing, just not to break that fragile equilibrium we had established. It would have been quite logical, right? Just a few days ago, that was what I would have done, I knew it.

Something had changed. I would have to think about it further later.

I looked up, straight in her eyes, and spoke gently. “You should talk to Celestia.”

“A-about our…?” Oh dear, the poor girl couldn’t even voice it. “N-no, no, no. I-I cou-”

“No.” I shook my head, a little knot of guilt forming in my throat. “I meant about the Everfree.”

She went very still. In her gaze now, there was something I hadn’t seen previously.

Dread.

She was honestly afraid of admitting any failure on her part to her teacher, perhaps to the point of doing her best to hide any of her insecurity from her. And in the back of my mind, I wondered how much that would hurt Celestia. The few glimpses of her I had seen at least shown me that she cared very much for every one of her ponies and did not wish to be cut off from them. Yet, the closest mare to her was voluntarily putting barriers between them. If it was me…

The image of Calx refusing to speak to me, turning his head and going away struck me at the heart. It made it unbearable for me to drop this. I had to help both Twilight and Celestia on this.

“I can’t imagine Celly staying mad at you.” I placed a leg around her neck, bringing our forehead together in a calming touch. “Especially for something outside your control like this.”

“B-but I told her I would investigate and I couldn’t… I… I failed.” I saw the fur on her neck contract with her muscles. She was fighting a sob already. “She’ll probably be so disappointed in me! If I can’t gather my strength to help a friend, how can I deserve to be the Princess of Magic?”

“Don’t say that.” I lifted my wings, shattering the illusion again, and encasing her in a gentle embrace. “Everyone can fall prey to a moment of weakness, Twilight. No one is immune to fear, no one is perfect, not even the Elders. Weakness is not evil.”

At least until it leads on the path of cold, unyielding shadows of hatred.

“And you’re much more than that, Twilight,” I said, gritting my teeth to bite back the darker images starting to come back to me. “You’re strong. You’ve faced beings I would choose to run against. D-Discord… scares the crap out of me.”

“R-really?” She asked, seemingly surprised by my confession.

“Of course he does! He is a timeless concept of discordance and chaos, a being so old that not even he knows the numbers anymore, with enough power to alter the very laws of this universe.”

It was only after I was done with my tirade that I realized Twilight had looked to me

“When you put it like that…”

“You’re even more impressive for defeating him, right?” I grinned, hoping to net a smile from her.

My heart lifted when I was rewarded by a little laugh. It sounded quite musical if you asked me.

“This flattery is going to be a recurring thing with you, isn’t it?”

I stretched my neck and nuzzled her, enjoying the warmth and softness of the contact. “Only if it makes you happier”

--

When the two brothers in disguise had left the library, there had been a moment of silence. Neither Spike nor Twilight was quite sure what to say, instead focusing on the shrinking figures in the distance.

The little dragon was the first to get his mind back in order. Looking up, he saw that his big sister wasn’t quite back yet though. Her eyes were still trailing after the orange unicorn, with but a hint of longing.

Quite honestly, he wasn’t exactly sure how he felt about that. Deep inside him, an ugly thing had shown the tip of its claws, scratching away at his good will. It wanted to lash him, he understood, to growl and hiss at that big pony trying to take somepony away from him.

But Spike didn’t like that thing inside him. It reminded him all too well of a certain birthday. And he was pretty sure Twilight would be pissed if he followed his baser instincts. Understanding, maybe, but still disappointed and unhappy with him.

Urgh, it was better not to think too much about that!

It wasn’t like the younger colt hadn’t surprised him either. F-far from it, in fact. The conversation he had had just wouldn’t leave his head.

It had been innocent enough at the beginning. Feather Dust had been chuckling to himself about the comic book he was reading, even snorting when he got to a particularly good moment. But then, the colt had looked up at him, still grinning.

“Hey, Spike, d’you think you could introduce me to your pals? I kinda didn’t have time for that at school t’day.”

Not that question, he had thought. It had been the one thing he hadn’t wanted to answer when he had met Shining Armor. Sure, he had relented in the end, but that hadn’t made it sting any less.

But with that guy asking that so innocently, way too close for him to pretend he hadn’t heard the question, he wasn’t sure what to do.

“Huh, Spike?” The colt had tilted his orange head to the side, blinking at the lack of answer.

Bracing himself, he had looked down and spoken with a defeated voice. “I… I… don’t really have friends outside Twilight and her friends…”

“Huh? How come?” Feather Dust had sounded so surprised. He even had stood away from his book and took a few steps toward him.

“The other foals say I act too old… that I’m no fun…” He had whispered, his eyes stinging with tears.

“Pffff!” The pegasus colt had rolled his eyes, amused. “You’re not old.”

“I’m sixteen!”

Instantly, he had regretted it. He had not been able to hold it in. Obviously, Feather Dust would be amazed, at first. They always were. Then, after they got over the initial shock, they’d say something how incredible that was or ask how it felt to be so old, only to start getting bored around him.

He just didn’t get their games sometimes… So they always stopped coming…

To this moment still, he had trouble digesting what the other foal had said.

“So what? I’m sixty.” The colt had rolled his eyes.

For just a second, he hadn’t been able to articulate a thought. The nonchalance of it all, h-he wasn’t bothered? Then, what he had actually said caught up with him.

“D-don’t make fun of me!”

“I’m not making fun of you!” Feather Dust had shouted back, seemingly outraged at such a suggestion. Fortunately, the fiery temper had subsided almost instantly, making him appear quite nonchalant. “I’m really over sixty.”

“Yeah, right.” Fumes of green flames had erupted from his nose. “And I’m secretly an alicorn.”

He really hadn’t expected Feather Dust’s eyes to widen comically, almost in panic, before he had started laughing so hard he fell on the ground.

“H-hum…?” No words had come to him.

“Check this out.” The colt had boasted, and then crunched up his face with concentration.

“W-what are you doing?” If he hadn’t known any better, he would have thought it resembled Twilight’s own expression when she focused on a particularly difficult spell.

Out of nowhere, a light had flashed over his forehead, j-just like… somepony’s… magical aura…

“W-wha-?” He had yelped, only to be thrown off his feet by a sudden rumble in the ground.

Before he had had the chance to react, he was on his back, standing next to a shelf that seemed to be shaking a little precariously. Some of the books were on the verge of falling down.

Gritting his fangs, he’d have unleashed a verbal smack down to Feather Dust for such a stupid thing to do, whatever it had been, but he had stopped dead in his track, eyes wide.

There wasn’t a Feather Dust anymore. No, in the place of an orange pegasus, there was an infamous blue alicorn,

“Believe me now?” Calx Iugum had asked smugly.

“Huh…” The sound had been the only thing to come out of his mouth.

“Gee, I’m sorry ‘bout the shockwave thingy, but I wanted to be sure you’d believe me. So, now that that’s outta the way, wanna hang out?”

“You’re THAT guy?!”

“Yeah.” Calx had shrugged, not noticing or caring about the indignation in his voice. Then, the mask of arrogance had slipped a little, as the little alicorn had looked left and right worriedly. “Just don’t tell Sam I told you. Okay?”

And around them had echoed a voice he had never heard, but that his new friend obviously knew. “Too late, Tom.”

“Buck!” Calx had cursed, before looking back toward him with a grin.

“Spike?” Twilight’s voice brought him out of his reverie.

“Oh, huh, sorry, Twilight.” He scratched the back of his head sheepishly. “I was just… thinking.”

“Yeah, me too.” Her eyes darted away, while he could swear her cheeks were a shade darker than usual. “It was… quite the visit. Did you two have fun while we were talking?”

“Yup,” Spike agreed, nodding quickly and puffing his chest proudly. “He was like really interested in dragon stuff.”

Seeing his newfound confidence, Twilight chuckled gently, before inviting him back inside. Levitating a quill, she started making annotations in her schedule, whispering about cute little friends or something.

But for once, it didn’t bother the little dragon to be referred as such. Instead, thinking further on her comment made him even a little giddily. He could be friend with Calx Iugum.

--

“How is your homework going, princess?” Her father asked, peaking his head through her door.

“A-almost done, Dad!” She replied quickly, giving him her best smile, wishing she had her signature tiara on her head. The luster of the jewelry seemed to elevate her pink fur.

“Good, continue the great work.” His expression softened, and she felt a small pang of guilt in her chest. “And don’t hesitate to call us if you need help.”

“I will!”

She hadn’t meant to lie to her dad. I-it had just came out before she could stop it. He’d always been a little strict, something about work ethic, he said, but he was always very nice. He probably wouldn’t have punished her if he’d seen what she had been… errr… working on

On her precious mahogany desk, the notebook containing Mrs. Cheerilee’s exercises for tomorrow remained distressingly blank. Not a single stroke of her quill had braced the paper itself. The problems were a little bit more difficult than usual, as if their teacher had been worried their education was not up to speed.

Ah! It was not like she couldn’t solve the problems! She was smart, after all! It was just… well, sometimes her mind wandered a bit. If she had asked Feather Dust, would he have come over to her desk to explain how to do it?

She liked to think he would, that he totally would just come over her place and help her do this stuff. T-they could talk, know each other a bit better.

Obviously, Feather Dust wouldn’t… he wouldn’t act… act like Prince Calx had done. When that feather brain had called him a liar, he hadn’t just blindly say that handicapped pegasus was better than her. He’d yelled right back at her, like Scootaloo deserved!

Yes, Feather Dust wouldn’t break her heart like that. O-on such ridiculous grounds too!

“I’m not a meanie bully,” she whispered, her expression morphing into a scowl. “T-they’re just blank flanks! Who cares about them?!”

--

The next morning seemed to pass in a blur, really. Without the advantages of being freeloading princes, the night seemed so much shorter than before. Neither Calx nor myself were morning ponies, so that made for quite the glorious disaster scenario. Amazingly, no one died.

The bitter taste of coffee helped wonders in keeping me awake. And by that, I do mean the horribly bitter, dark-as-the-fur-on-Luna’s-rump liquid, and its horrid taste had my whole being awake for a whole three seconds. However, judging by how lacking I found the result of drinking a couple of cups of the stuff, I might have made the amazing discovery that alicorns had a natural resistance against excitants like caffeine.

Simply. Marvelous.

Anyway, breakfast was dull, lunches were packed quickly and Ditzy Doo delivered my letter of acceptation for the job about ten minutes before I was scheduled to start working. No stress.

Allowing Calx to fly to school by himself so he wouldn’t be late was still eating at me, but I really had no choice if I was to make a good impression at work. All the way I had run to the headquarters I had diverted some of my attention to ‘feel’ where he was and make sure he wasn’t running into trouble.

So THAT explained why I had showed up late, disheveled and slightly out of breath. Not that I would say all that to the mare that had asked.

“You’re pretty short on time, newbie!” Cloudchaser laughed, “I sure hope that’s not a common thing for you. The boss will eat you alive if you do.”

Well, considering I’m already in his lungs and his digestive tracks, I don’t think I’ll be able to tell the difference anyway, I thought, feeling my smile grow more wooden by the second.

“T-that sounds very inconvenient…” I forced my tail to twitch, as I shot a few ‘nervous’ glances around.

The employee room was far less occupied than yesterday. I could count on two hands the number of ponies in the room at the moment. Only three of them were background ponies I knew: Cloudchaser, Flitter and Thunderlane. The others, I could not tell who they were for the life of me.

“Ah, there’s my unicorn!” A dark blue stallion, middle-aged judging by the newborn wrinkles around his eyes, shouted to my left. “Couldn’t miss you, you clash with the rest of us, sonny.”

I’m older than your great-grandfather would be today. “O-oh?”

“The last time I saw a unicorn working the weather, I was in Manehattan thirty years ago.” He offered a hoof, which I took sheepishly. “The name’s Fierce Storm, newbie, and I’m the weather team’s manager. Glad to have you on the team.”

“I-it’s really an honor, sir.” I shrunk on myself, smiling as an apparent attempt to pacify or at least quiet him down a little. “I’m… huh… glad it didn’t bother you…”

Around us, a few ponies seemed to be greatly amused by my ‘reaction’, some snorting and others snickering between their teeth.

“Sweet Celestia…” A beige mare whispered out of earing range.

“He’s like a male Fluttershy!” Her friend replied, not letting their eyes move away from us.

Their observations weren’t that far off though. Some of my tics were derived from what I remembered of the bearer of the Element of Kindness. It added to the persona, in my humble opinion.

“Nonsense, sonny. Your recommendation letter was flawless. It couldn’t have been better if Princess Celestia wrote it.”

There’s something funny about this that you ignore, Boss, I thought to evacuate the smartass urges.

“Plus, you’ve got a glowing review from Rainbow Dash in your entrance test.” He put a hoof on my shoulder, making me inwardly flinch in fear he might feel the height difference. “I would be crazy not to hire you.”

“T-thanks…”

“Now, you’ll be assigned a sector in the mid-west part of town to clear out first, then you’ll have to rejoin with the rest of B team along the Everfree Forest’s borders. Got it?”

Slowly, I blinked. I hear words… but I don’t know what you mean by that!

“Hum… Boss.” I raised my hoof timidly. “Not that I want to cause trouble or anything, but I was told in my acceptation letter that there would be another weather pony to show me the ropes, so to speak...”

“O-oh, yeah, there was that too, wasn’t it?” He muttered, suddenly frowning.

“Horseapples…” Flitter said, a little out of earshot.

“Urgh, where’s Rainbow Dash? She was supposed to be here for this!” The middle aged pegasus shouted, the corners of his mouth twisted downward.

…Did he just switch personality? I thought, bewildered.

But before I could ponder this abrupt change further, an orange cannonball shot into the room. “Rainbow Dash has gone to help Twilight search the Everfree forest!”

Her purple mane as un-brushed as ever, Scootaloo sent wild looks at everypony still present, obviously not knowing who to deliver her message too. Fortunately, for her, Fierce Storm’s expression had already darkened, indicating that, yes, he had heard her.

In the few seconds of silence that followed, an out-of-place thought came to me.

“S-Shouldn’t you be in school?” I asked, blinking. “I thought… I thought classes started fifteen minutes ago…”

Looking to the pony that had talked to her, Scootaloo’s eyes stopped on my horn, with what I supposed was understanding. To my shock though, her expression morphed into one of annoyance and hostility.

“Yeah, yeah. I’m going.” She waved a dismissive hoof at me, then looked toward Fierce Storm again. “I wasn’t going to let Rainbow Dash hang.”

“I see…” He whispered, holding his forehead with his right hoof.

Her mission accomplished, the orange filly sent one last glare my way before running outside.

What’s with her? I never met her as Ventus or as Cloud. It could be the ‘shyness’ that annoys her… But then again, I’m the only ‘unicorn’ on the weather patrol, so she probably recognized me. My eyes went upward, while I thought back on the things I had heard about my brother’s first day of school in Ponyville. There had been a small interaction between the two… Does she have something against Calx?

Feeling a pinch in my chest, I resolved to keep an ear open around Cheerilee’s classes. Just in case.

Turning back toward my new boss, I realized that he hadn’t moved from his previous position, still grumbling inaudible things under his breath. The string of swearwords he put together was pretty impressive for a simple unexpected leave from an employee in my opinion.

Note to self: don’t cross him. It is not the time to test how long my temper will hold when that thoroughly insulted.

“-uck, I can’t exactly scold her for answering a princess’ summon, even if they are best friends.” He looked about ready to bite somepony. Subtly, I inched away from him and was imitated by the few pegasi around me.

For a couple of seconds, his anger seemed to grow, until...

“Screw it!” His wings exploded to their full extent. “Thunderlane, you’re it.”

“Celestia’s flanks…” The dark pegasus grumbled under his breath, ears flattening against his head.

“The rest of you, you know your job!” He shouted, turning to the miniature crowd of weather worker. “We have a schedule to respect and we WILL! Even with one pegasus down!”

Rapidly, my new colleagues all scattered, running outside to take flight. Soon enough, it was only me and the dark stallion. Even then, Thunderlane wasn’t looking at me, instead rummaging through a saddlebag on his flanks for some sort of papers.

The frown just wouldn’t leave his face.

“Hum… the name’s Cloud Circle?” I said with a grimacing smile. Elders this was awkward!

“Yeah, I know, I heard yesterday. Thunderlane.” He rolled his eyes, snorting in derision.

Okay… Either I misjudged you, or you woke up on the wrong side of your bed too. I had a feeling this was not going to be a good day.

“Alright, follow me, newbie!” He shouted, taking off the air. “We don’t have the time to laze on our asses, so get going!”

“Going… where?” I asked, doing my very best not to make it sound obviously deadpan and annoyed.

At my admission of ignorance, his hoof made contact with his forehead with a grunt. “We’re going to the town square! Then we’ll try to do our job so the boss won’t kick our rumps, you get that?”

Watch your tone, buddy, I thought, feeling my shy smile freeze on my lips. You wouldn’t want to lose your ability to fly, right?

I was starting to have doubts about Celestia’s plan already.