• Published 22nd Feb 2013
  • 2,657 Views, 139 Comments

Singular Entities - Cynical



Short TwiDash mini-stories from the TwiDash forum and my brain

  • ...
6
 139
 2,657

Alcohol

Twilight Sparkle sat at the side of the room, the speakers around the bar blaring their loud noises around the packed establishment. In the middle of the room, there was a large dance floor, the lights above casting the mob of ponies below in shades of cyan, green and red.

Twilight sighed, turning back towards the table and the drink that rested upon it, a tall glass with an electric-blue liquid within. She lifted it up within her magic and took a sip of the drink, grimacing at the sharp taste as the alcohol made its way down her throat.

Funny thing that, she’d heard all about how alcohol was meant to skew your judgement, how you were meant to become more susceptible to other ponies dares and more likely to let go of your inhibitions… yet she still felt absolutely normal.

No sudden urges to jump onto the table and start dancing.
No epiphanies that the world was actually pretty damn sweet.
And no reason to join the throng that was the dance floor in front of her.

In any case, Rainbow Dash had done that almost immediately after downing one glass of her own cocktail, something that was probably substantially stronger than Twilight’s own glass of liquid fire.

But that was nearly fifteen minutes ago, and Twilight had been unable to see neither hide nor hair of her companion since she’d left her alone. Not that she was really surprised, the lights made recognising anypony in the throng difficult… and that was without the throng itself.

Still, Twilight thought back to why she was here in the first place…
Dash had insisted that she come out for a little fun earlier today during one of their reading sessions, upon further enquiry, she’d suggested coming out with her tonight to this ‘really cool place’ and wasn’t really willing to take no for an answer.

Looking around, she decided that hers and Dash’s ideas of ‘cool’ were very different.

“Probably would have been better if she hadn’t disappeared into the crowd at the first opportunity.” She mumbled quietly to herself, taking another sip from her drink.
“Not that she wants to waste her fun night sat next to a boring egghead.”

The drink was drunk.
She went to order another.

She was so caught up in her own self-pity that she didn’t notice when a pony sat herself next to her at the bar. It was only when she heard the scratchy voice she knew so well, that she turned around sharply, looking for Rainbow Dash.

She looked… drunk.

She was slumped on her seat slightly, head bent slightly forwards with her mane plastered to her head. From the looks of things, she hadn’t noticed Twilight yet either.

“Rainbow?”

The pony next to me immediately perked up, her ears swivelling towards me, closely followed by her head, bringing her eyes around to meet my own.

“Hey Twi’.” She replied, smiling at me while her head seemed to sway constantly. “Howw’re you?” she asked, her voice slurred from whatever liquid poison she’d been ingesting.

“Well enough.” Twilight replied, sighing slightly, but somehow, Rainbow picked up on it, even from within her drunken stupor.
“Something wrong, Twi?” She asked, voice still slurring slightly, but otherwise, she looked sober.
Twilight sighed again, she was mindful of the fact that Dash took great care of her pride, and that she’d picked this venue out specifically for her, because she’d thought she’d find it fun… then again, she had asked her what was wrong.

“It’s just that this really isn’t my idea of fun Rainbow, I know you picked it for me specially, but there’s just nothing here which captures my interest. Thanks.” Twilight said sincerely, looking at Rainbow, before glancing back at the bartender who’d just tapped her on the shoulder, signifying the arrival of her new drink.

Twilight turned back to the bar, shifting her drink closer to her body as Rainbow replied.
“I’m sure I can think of something which should capture your interest.”
“Like what?” Twilight asked, willing to see if there was something she’d missed somehow.

She turned back to Rainbow and was met by something pressing gently against her face, or more specifically, her mouth.

Her eyes widened momentarily as she looked at the cerulean eyelids of the pony kissing her, tinted pink by the lights above, then they fluttered shut as she returned the kiss.

She’d question this whole incident later, but for now, she let the alcohol and the pegasus take care of her mind and send her into ecstasy.

Author's Note:

Boredom struck again, and I had this one mulling about my head for a little while anyway.
Slightly longer than the others, and there's actually a plan somewhere for a direct continuation of this... should probably make that the next priority but there are oh-so-many potential prompts...

I really do have too much time to spare with not enough self-motivation...

Meh.