• Published 22nd Feb 2013
  • 2,653 Views, 139 Comments

Singular Entities - Cynical



Short TwiDash mini-stories from the TwiDash forum and my brain

  • ...
6
 139
 2,653

Birthday

The celebrations lasted most of the day, Pinkie Pie’s trademark exuberance in full flow as the party continued… and continued… and continued further into the night until the library was littered with discarded rubbish and a rather large number of bottles, the banner was still miraculously intact, albeit slightly worse for wear, and still sported the proclamation

Happy 20th Birthday Twilight Sparkle!!!

And now the only ponies remaining in the front room were Applejack, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Rarity and Twilight, Pinkie Pie having left some time ago to track down a missing peanut.

The state of the remaining friends was another matter though, Applejack was slouched back against the sofa, snoozing quietly while Rarity had abandoned all ladylike behaviour and had crashed on the floor, asleep to the world.

Fluttershy was slightly better, she was awake at the very least, but her gaze was far from steady, the normally-quiet pegasus having tried one or two of the bottles littering the floor.

That left Rainbow and Twilight, sitting behind the sofa, away from the unfocused gaze of the tipsy Fluttershy behind them.

“So, what did you think of the party?” Rainbow asked, glancing towards Twilight, sat next to her with her head leant on Rainbow’s shoulder.
“Hmm?” asked the groggy Birthday Mare, turning her head to look up at Rainbow, “I think so, yeah.” She replied, smiling up at her companion.

“You still haven’t gotten my gift yet you know?” Rainbow said, smiling down at Twilight.
“I literally can’t wait.” Twilight replied in a flat voice before breaking down into giggles a moment later, “What is it?” she asked when she regained control of her voice.

Surprisingly, Rainbow stood up from beneath Twilight, “Come on.” She said, “I want to show you something.” And with that, she stooped to help bring Twilight to her hooves, then led the way to the nearest doorway and the cool night beyond.

They stood beneath the starry sky, cleared as a special occasion for today, the moon hanging perfectly above them under the midnight skies. Twilight glanced to her guide with puzzlement, to which Rainbow simply smiled and replied, “You’ll see.”

Once they were a bit away to the library, Rainbow turned, and said, “Hop on.”
“Wait… you want me to hop on… you?” Twilight asked, somewhat mollified.
Rainbow snorted, “No, I want you to hop on Pinkie obviously, come on, or do I have to carry you?” she asked, her smile belying her sarcastic tone.

Twilight quirked her head slightly, taking a step back, “Now Rainbow…” she began, but even as she said so, she saw Dash’s grin as she replied,
“Too late.” Dash lunged at Twilight enveloping her into a powerful embrace and shooting up into the sky, trailing the unicorn’s screams behind her.

Eventually, Rainbow stopped, hovering and holding the shaking Twilight in her hooves, “We’re here.” She replied smugly, “You might want to put on that cloud walking spell.” Rainbow called down to Twilight as she drew level with a sparse cloud bank.

Twilight’s horn flashed once before becoming inert once more, Rainbow took that as her cue to drop Twilight gently onto the cloud and alight next to her, carefully ignoring the withering glare Twilight was sending her way.

“So, what do you think of the view?” she asked nonchalantly, watching Twilight’s expression out the corner of her eyes.
Twilight sighed and lifted her eyes from Dash, looking around at their scenery.

Silence.

“Wow.”

Author's Note:

Early Morning Prompt deployed.