• Published 22nd Feb 2013
  • 2,654 Views, 139 Comments

Singular Entities - Cynical



Short TwiDash mini-stories from the TwiDash forum and my brain

  • ...
6
 139
 2,654

Sins

Rainbow Dash whistled a jaunty tune to herself, she’d not felt this happy in a long time. Everything was finally looking up, she had the job she’d dreamt of, the life she’d hoped for, and the mare she loved. There was nothing that could tarnish her good mood.

Nothing, that is, until she saw the note tacked onto the door of the library by a small nail. She frowned, lifting the small note from the nail and holding it out in front of her. It was exactly the same as the other pieces of paper she’d found randomly dotted around Twilight’s library, the same five words:

Debts outstanding:
Twilight Sparkle’s soul

And just like every other note she’d found, she scoffed and forgot about it a moment later, opening the door to the library and slipping inside, looking around quickly for a moment before sighing to herself, she knew exactly where Twilight would be.

She’d already known where Twilight would be if she was honest, it was the one thing that did intrude on her good mood. A few weeks ago, Twilight had started having strange dreams, when Rainbow had asked about them, Twilight had clammed up tight. Rainbow had gritted her teeth and tried to get Twilight to share that, going so far as to pull out the old card of ‘working through their problems together…

It hadn’t worked.

She’d just shook her head silently and stayed that way until about Rainbow had called it quits. Like it or not, she couldn’t force her marefriend to tell her something against her will. Twilight had her own stubborn streak that was probably a few miles longer than Applejacks own for that matter. She had refused to budge and so Rainbow had just sighed and spoken quietly.

“I’ll be here when you can trust me enough to tell me”

Twilight hadn’t moved as Rainbow left the room, shaking her head slightly. She’d made a promise to herself that day, she wouldn’t try and press the secret, whatever it was, from Twilight, she’d do that herself in her own time and when she was good and ready.

Which was why Twilights’ request two days ago had been completely out of left field, almost to the point of worrying Rainbow into breaking her promise.

“I want you to promise me something Rainbow, no matter what, no matter when, I want you to protect me”

Rainbow had smiled warmly at Twilight, held open her forelegs, and held Twilight tightly, letting that simple gesture say all the words she needed to. She’d been burning with curiosity inside, but she’d had a distraught Twilight within her hooves at that time, she’d had to prioritise.

But it had set Rainbows’ nerves on edge, that cool exterior from earlier now paper thin as she was reminded of the abnormal occurrences that had been plaguing Twilight for the past week or so.

So much so that Twilight had taken to permanently retiring to her study whenever the library was empty, hiding away from the world in her workroom lit by four candles with a large tome from the main library.

Rainbow sighed and knocked gently on the study door.

The library remained silent.

Seeing an opportunity to try and get Twilight to lighten up, her face lit up with a pranksters smile and eyes gleamed for a moment. Careful to be as quiet as she could, she opened the study, expecting to see Twilight, asleep on the floor.

She wasn’t.

Her eyebrows creasing, Rainbow strode into the room, pranksters smile turning quickly into a worried frown as she looked around the small room. A slight breeze was flowing through, caused by the window, slightly ajar from its holding just above the desk. Rainbow walked over and shut it, brow still furrowed.

She made sure the window was locked, then looked down at the desk.

There was a note, hammered into the flat surface by a single nail.

Rainbow read it, blinked, and read it again.

A moment passed, then she tore out from the room, yelling for her marefriend at the top of her lungs.

The paper fluttered gently in the backdraft of Rainbow’s hasty escape.

Your debts have been paid
Think on your sins

Author's Note:

This is somewhat wayward
The two notes were somewhat tricky to plan...

they don't quite have that feeling of malevolence that I was looking for.