• Published 19th Feb 2013
  • 753 Views, 336 Comments

Timed Ramblings - Midnight herald



A collection of speedfics from my dabblings in Thirty Minute Ponies. Stories do not share continuity unless otherwise marked.

  • ...
2
 336
 753

PreviousChapters Next
Just Passing Through

Twilight stepped over the threshold cautiously, her wings clenched tightly against her body. Her hooves sank into the plush cream carpet as she walked inside. She glanced around the room as foals outside played in the bright sunshine (sunshine, ladybugs awake…)

Twilight ran a gentle hoof across a dusty bookshelf (… That creaks with the weight of a hundred obscure volumes on magical theory as she pulls off yet another in a shaky cloud of fragile magic , cramming one last time for the exam tomorrow, since she know she can’t sleep, not tonight…) and turned to regard a silent, ragged plush bear siting on a bed.

Her eyes travelled to the bright window with its blue shades, so different than (… The dark red curtains drawn tight against the sun as she stains her blankets with tears, blubbering out the latest petty cruelty through wracking, choking sobs. Shining’s warm hoof runs along her trembling back soothingly.

“I almost feel sorry for them, Twily. Because they can’t see how special you really are." His voice is as warm as the mug of jasmine tea he’s brought her…)

The old yellow stain still marred the ceiling after all these years. She can still remember back when

(… “I’m sorry, mom! I didn’t know it would react that way, I’ll never do it again, promise! Not without a fume hood"….)
Finally, after long, silent minutes, Twilight stepped out of the room and walked down the old staircase, skipping the fifth step, the one that wailed like a wooden demon. She smiled graciously and nodded at the nervous family of pegasi that huddled in the kitchen.

"Thank you for letting me visit," she said, as warm and aloof as Celestia taught her to be.

"It was our pleasure, Princess," one of the mares answered, grinning nervously. Twilight walked into the afternoon outside, into the crowded street, before finding a place to take off and fly to the palace. She didn’t cry - it’s not her room, it hasn’t been for at least a generation. But her heart still pinched as she landed in the courtyard and made her way to the throne room.

"Bring in the first petitioner," she sighed. “Evening court is officially in session."

Author's Note:

Prompt 429: The room never felt the same after that.

I was thinking a bit of "The Old Apartment" by the Barenaked Ladies, if you've heard it. But mostly I wanted a moody, nostalgic Princess Twi remembering her childhood. All her family is dead by now, unless you count Cadence...

PreviousChapters Next