• Published 19th Feb 2013
  • 750 Views, 336 Comments

Timed Ramblings - Midnight herald



A collection of speedfics from my dabblings in Thirty Minute Ponies. Stories do not share continuity unless otherwise marked.

  • ...
2
 336
 750

PreviousChapters Next
Favorite Smile

Pinkie Pie limbered up her lips with a few silly faces before moving on to the next phase of her morning routine. She unwrapped her damp mane from its towel turban and began smiling at herself in the slightly fogged-up mirror. It wasn’t too strange, really, practicing her smiles. She had so many of them it was hard to keep them straight. But today was important, more important than usual. And she was trying so hard to get one smile in particular. She was lost somewhere in the mix of silly and flirtatious and loving, trying various amounts of each. Because today, she needed to find the smile that Applejack loved so much.

It had been rough for Applejack when Rarity moved away. The two of them hadn’t been suited for the distance, in the end, and Applejack had cried for weeks after they’d ended things. But Pinkie had been there to help her pick things back up again. Pinkie had been there with open ears and as much advice and support as she could fit into their gloomy hours of conversations. With hours of patience and hugs and an alarming amount of tissues and ice cream, Pinkie had helped Applejack through her heartbreak and onto her feet. And then Applejack had asked her out to dinner sometime, and the world had been perfect. And when Rarity had found time to visit, the world had still been pretty good. But it had stopped being perfect when she’d seen the way Rarity and Applejack still looked at each other.

Applejack still loved Pinkie, of course. She’d said it, and she’d meant it, and PInkie knew it was true. But Applejack still loved Rarity, too. And some days, it was harder than it should have been to see which one of them Applejack loved more. It hurt, those days, hurt deep in Pinkie’s chest, all the worse because Pinkie understood. She’d been a farmpony herself, growing up, so she knew how it went. She could still remember the long lonely nights before long days of hard work. She could still remember the constant self-denial in the name of profits, in the name of keeping the farm afloat another season. And she could still remember, with such clarity it frightened her, that the things a farmpony wanted most were the things a farmpony could never really have. And besides, who would settle for silly old, noisy Pinkie Pie when glamorous, aloof, cultured Rarity was just on the horizon, still tragically smitten herself? Who could resist the allure and guilty, dark pleasure of holding on to a doomed relationship, no matter how far, how implausible it could be? Not Applejack. Pinkie huffed and chided herself for being so petty. It was getting better, a little. Applejack was trying to make it better, to be better. Applejack loved her.

And when Rarity was in town, the two of them spent a lot of time together, catching up, walking around town, drinking deep of their togetherness. Pinkie didn’t worry about it anymore, though. She knew Rarity as anything but a homewrecker, and Applejack had too much honor to do anything unfaithful. But Pinkie wished, sometimes, that the two of them would understand how much it hurt her to see how much they wanted to, even if they never would.’

There it was, the smile she was looking for. Just shy of flirtation, with a show of honest love and a tiny hint of mischief. That was the smile that would make Applejack’s heart thump, that would make Applejack’s knees turn to jelly. Pinkie practiced making it a few times, until it looked absolutely effortless, absolutely natural.

As the final part of her odd morning routine, Pinkie shook her head a couple of times, paying close attention to the little golden ring that ran through her right ear. The little, flighty thrill still buzzed through her chest at the way her ring glinted in the light. It felt a little bit heavier than usual, but it was a sunny morning, and her playful little smile no longer felt as practiced. She trotted downstairs, following her nose into the kitchen. Her tummy rumbled excitedly as she categorized each warm, gooey smell. Nothing, not even triple-chocolate-raspberry-glazed cupcakes, could beat Applejack’s pancake special when it came to breakfast. She flashed Applejack’s favorite smile with a little giggle and kissed Applejack on the cheek, lovingly.

“Happy anniversary,” she chirped brightly, laughing as Applejack chased her around the countertop, licking and nibbling at her chin and neck. The two of them loaded the table with delicious food, said grace, and tucked in. And Pinkie couldn’t help but feel a little lighter as Applejack’s loving green eyes smiled at her across the table.
She sometimes had these mornings, when her doubts and worries threatened to overtake her. But she’d work through it, just like she always did. Just like they always did. Because she loved Applejack, and Applejack loved her. It was too late to back out now, anyhow. She’d lost that right a year ago, with the words ‘I do’.

Author's Note:

Prompt 363: One year too late

PreviousChapters Next