• Published 19th Feb 2013
  • 745 Views, 336 Comments

Timed Ramblings - Midnight herald



A collection of speedfics from my dabblings in Thirty Minute Ponies. Stories do not share continuity unless otherwise marked.

  • ...
2
 336
 745

PreviousChapters Next
Taking it Back

Rarity stared mournfully into a filthy puddle, deep in thought. Her prized mane tumbled down her shoulder in filthy strings, and the rain had left her coat looking shaggy and unkempt. At last, she mused, I look as disgusting as I feel. Another taxi splashed by and sent icy-cold, muddy water flying into her chest and legs. She sighed and glanced at the clock. Another six hours before the next train to Ponyville. Perfect.

She’d missed her friends by minutes; the engine’s smokestack was still barely visible on the horizon when she’d sprinted to the station in the freezing rain. She’d given the station employee her last few ruby shards for his prompt answers, as if throwing gems about would cleanse the icy-cold misery that clung tighter to her body than any rainwater could manage. Material generosity was easy for a pony on the up-and-up. Fling enough wealth around, share enough time, give enough favors out, and the world sees a generous, well-mannered mare. But the moment it really matters, with the ponies who really matter … Rarity’s ears drooped even lower and she sniffled back another tear, remembering her behavior.

--“There’s our good friend Rarity, going down in flames. Isn’t friendship magic!?!”--

Rarity flinched at the stinging memory and rose to her feet, her once-proud neck drooping low. She shuffled, in a daze, towards the hotel she’d booked. Packing up her things was a smart idea. It would give her something to do, and it would ensure she made the train on time. She couldn’t miss this one, she really couldn’t. The sooner she got home, the sooner she could make amends.

Ponies rushed past her, cursing her, jostling her. She couldn’t be bothered, really. If this was the worst Manehattan could do to her now, she’d consider herself lucky. After what she’d done to her closest friends in this city … Please, Rarity. The snide voice of her inner critic send another barrage of almost-tears to Rarity’s eyes. As if the city had anything to do with this? We both know what really happened. Precious little Rarity, reaching for the spotlight. Who cares how many ponies we step on to reach it, hmm?

“Rarity?” Rarity’s head shot up. Somehow in the depths of her despair, she’d ended up at the plaza again. Coco Pommel, Suri’s assistant, looked at her with concern. “Rarity, are you alright?” she asked, taking a hesitant step forward.

Rarity shook her head slowly and turned around. She didn’t want to be here, at the place of her greatest shame. Here, where she’d showed her true colors at last.

“Rarity?” Coco had moved up right beside her, and spoke in a whisper. “Suri doesn’t want me to tell you, but … maybe you should collect your trophy.” Rarity shrugged. So she had won. But what was a golden cup compared to the warmth of friends? Nothing. She began trudging away. “Don’t you care that you won?” Coco asked, plaintively. Like a lost child, reaching for something to understand.

Rarity blinked away the tears in her eyes before they could fall. “I’ve lost everything that matters,” she admitted softly. She finally, finally turned and met Coco’s eyes, a wistful smile on her face. “If you’ve got friends, hold on to them,” Rarity croaked through unshed tears. Coco’s eyes widened. “They’re more precious than any prize, rarer than any diamond. Hold on to them, Coco.” In the distance, a clock tower rang out. Five more hours before the next train out of Ponyville. Five more hours before she could try to do things right.

Author's Note:

Prompt 544: Write an AU story where an assumption made in the show turns out to be true.

I'll admit, I thought this had happened in the episode itself. Then it didn't, which was cool, but I started thinking about how it would go if Rarity's friends had actually rage-quit. It was a fun writing experiment.

PreviousChapters Next