• Published 19th Feb 2013
  • 750 Views, 336 Comments

Timed Ramblings - Midnight herald



A collection of speedfics from my dabblings in Thirty Minute Ponies. Stories do not share continuity unless otherwise marked.

  • ...
2
 336
 750

PreviousChapters Next
199, museum blvd.

The excitement in Twilight’s voice was almost palpable as she led them through the crowded streets. “The Metropolitan Art Museum has the largest collection of ancient Roaman statuary in the world! Not to mention the exhibit on Mesopony and Paleopony death masks.” Her eyes sparkled with a childlike joy Applejack knew all too well. Twi had torn through three different guidebooks on the train in, and the ‘Metro had probably shown up in all of ‘em. So of course Twilight would wanna see it. It was a great museum. Applejack knew that all too well, really. Just like the street they turned onto, and the elegant brownstones that stretched on towards the stately marble building. Applejack swallowed guiltily and found herself counting down numbers.

257 … 255 … 253 … At the curve of the road, her eyes were drawn to 199, third story. Velvety red curtains still hung in the bow window, glinting with reflected sunlight. Her tail twitched and her ears flicked.

“ … And, Fluttershy! I know you’ll just love the watercolors exhibit,” Twilight was saying. “There’s some of the greatest nature scenes and close-up animal portraits ever made there. They’ve somehow gotten almost every original of J.W. Plower’s western landscapes, and all of Odd Bun’s work with birds.”

Applejack had half-skittered to the far side of the walkway as they passed 199. She kept her breathing calm, though, and looked at everything but steps leading to the front door.

“Young ladies do not say ‘ain’t’, Applejack. Why, I’ve not heard such crude and boorish language since Clem’s wedding…” Applejack jolted upright as she caught her name on the wind, and looked around. She found Rainbow Dash, staring at her with protective concern.

“Applejack? You cool?” Applejack shrugged with a little smirk, although her eyes darted nervously to number 199. Dash’s concern shifted slowly to understanding, and she trotted up to where Twilight explained the difference between Reneighsance and Bayroque oil paintings to Pinkie.

“Hey, Twilight,” Dash interrupted with a surprising gentleness. “I know you’re dead-set on the museum, but could we come back later, maybe? The weather’s awesome right now, and I’m itchin’ to check out that big park we saw earlier.”

Twilight looked up at the bright blue sky and smiled, her ears perking up. “You know, Dash, that’s a great idea.” Applejack could almost see the gears shifting behind her eyes, and the childlike glee came back in full force. “Just wait ‘till you girls see the botanical gardens. They will blow your minds! The Public Gardens have one of the only living Griffons’ Friend flowers in captivity. It’s kinda gross to think about, but the Griffons’ Friend is called that because it puts out the aroma of rotting meat, which tends to attract both insects to help pollinate it and smaller scavengers that make up a good part of most forest-dwelling griffon’s diets …”

Twilight was taking the lead, probably off of some map she’d memorized. The tension melted away from Applejack’s back and shoulders with each block they put between themselves and those brownstone buildings. She smiled gratefully at Dash, who’d come back to walk beside her. Dash rolled her eyes and bumped playfully into Applejack’s side in return. Applejack almost looked back to catch one last glimpse of number 199 Museum blvd. before it disappeared into the forest of stately old buildings, but she kept her head forward and her eyes to the sky. Rainbow was right: The weather was wonderful. The combined smells of thousands of flowers wafted along on the breeze as the wide, green gardens came into view.

Author's Note:

Prompt 546: What were the others doing in Manehattan while Rarity was busy with Fashion Week?

I have it in my head that Applejack had the worst time in her life staying with Aunt and Uncle Orange. They're this rich couple who've never had children and don't know how to deal with them. I see Applejack as having gone there after her parent's funeral, trying to find another, less painful way of living, while Aunt and Uncle Orange are taking this opportunity to 'fix the mistake' Clementine Apple nee Orange had made marrying into the Apple Clan. Complicated, but there you are.

PreviousChapters Next