• Published 19th Feb 2013
  • 745 Views, 336 Comments

Timed Ramblings - Midnight herald



A collection of speedfics from my dabblings in Thirty Minute Ponies. Stories do not share continuity unless otherwise marked.

  • ...
2
 336
 745

PreviousChapters Next
Almanac

Applejack awoke to a light rumbling, not unlike the beginnings of a stampede. With some muttered curses (wouldn’t want ‘Bloom to get the wrong idea about her big sister), she scrambled out of bed, grabbed her lasso, and ran out the bedroom... to find at least a hundred slinkies making their merry way down the stairway and into the mudroom.

“What in tarnation?” she murmured, following the river of travelling toys in an attempt to see what they were about. She trotted cautiously onto the porch, looking around in the grey-washed predawn light for a sign of an intruder. With a loud rumbling, a muddy geyser of water shot up in the middle of the inroad. Applejack screamed and started backwards, her brow furrowed in confusion and concern before finally, cautiously, approaching the bubbling natural fountain. She dipped her head into the rush and gave the water a cursory taste. The distinctive fizz of mineral seltzer hit her tongue, and she found herself sipping at it some more, if only to settle her stomach against the adrenaline-fueled nausea currently sloshing around in her gut.

She turned back to the house and stepped up onto the porchstoop, determined to start breakfast. A metallic twang was her only warning before she went flying in a beautiful arc and crashed into one of the new Jonagold saplings, hard enough to knock the poor little thing off plumb. IF not for the great stake-job Mac had done, she might have uprooted the young tree entirely. She groaned in pain and regained her feet slowly, looking towards the porch in a bid to understand what in tartarus was going on. A large, coiled spring ran out from under the porch steps, in effect creating a catapult out of the boards she’d been standing on.

“Alright,” she bellowed. “If somepony doesn’t step out and tell me what in the High Hoof is going on, I’m gonna wind up quite a bit madder than I already am, and you do not want that this early in the morning!”

A snide chuckle sounded from the grove behind her. She remembered that laughter from the labyrinth, from the day the South Field flooded and froze. “Discord, do I need to get Fluttershy?” Applejack snapped.

“Oh, but Applejack,” he whined, giving her puppy-eyes (If a puppy were a depraved god of chaos) as he stepped out of a tree. Not from behind the tree like any sane, respectful creature would, but literally oozing from the bark with an innocent grin on his face. She scowled, and his smile faded a bit. Years of living with a holy terror of a little sister had given Applejack a glare second only to Fluttershy’s stare. Discord coughed and started again. “I’ve been reading the Almanac... Quite a good read, really. I can see why you farmers are so enamored of it.”

“Good for you, I guess,” Applejack snapped. “But what in the hay does the almanac have to do with this?” She jabbed her foot at the bubbling, flooding road, at the porch, and at the stampede of slinkies that was just now finishing its migration out of the house and into the muddy courtyard.

“Applejack, I thought you of all ponies would understand,” Discord said, pouting a bit. “According to the Almanac, today’s the first day of SPRING!” His Manure-eating grin slowly faded under her unamused gaze. “Oh, fine,” he conceded, snapping his fingers to undo all the damage. “Pinkie would have found it funny,” he shouted, turning and skulking back towards Ponyville. She caught a faint grumble of “...some ponies...” before he left earshot. Shaking her head, Applejack made her way back inside, testing each floorboard before moving on, feeling her way to the kitchen. She’d promised Apple Bloom fresh pancakes as a reward for her great report card, and it wouldn’t do to keep her little sis waiting.

Author's Note:

Prompt 307: Sudden Spring storms

WHen I'm overtired, my brain works in puns. So I put as many subversions in as I could, because that's where my brain was at. Heh, heh ... springs.

PreviousChapters Next