• Published 23rd Feb 2013
  • 4,196 Views, 144 Comments

Fight the Power - Coconutswallow



The Alicorn Amulet has corrupted Twilight and compelled her to take over Ponyville, leaving Trixie and Fluttershy as the only ones able to stop her.

  • ...
2
 144
 4,196

It Doesn't Take Much to Recognize an Evil Grin

It Doesn't Take Much to Recognize an Evil Grin

(1)

---

The spell circled around the amulet for several seconds before fizzling out, telling Twilight that she didn’t have to worry about it turning her into a pastry. “I don’t think it’s dangerous,” she said, stepping back. She had checked it for every possible dangerous enchantment, from A to Z, and it appeared to be completely benign.

“So can I touch it?” asked Spike, staring at the red gem that glinted from the library’s light.

“No, you can’t touch it! I said I don’t think it’s dangerous. There are still a few more tests I need to run on it.” Twilight walked over to a series of test tubes she had lined up on the table. “It’s free from magic, but it could still have something bad in its chemical composition.”

Her assistant didn’t seem to hear her. He leaned in over the table, his face mere inches from the amulet, and licked his lips.

“Spike!” She pulled him back. He had been unproductive all morning, ever since she started studying this new enigma in her life, and it was starting to get on her nerves. “Go get something to eat. I can finish this on my own.”

“But…” He kept his eyes glued on the ruby. “It just looks so good!”

“There are other gems out there. Gems that aren’t attached to mysterious amulets.” She frowned, waving a hoof in front of his face. No reaction. She sighed and picked him up, putting him on her back.

“No, wait!” His claw reached for the amulet but only grasped thin air before he was carried out of reach.

She walked him to the door and slid him onto the floor, prodding him forward. “Go eat!”

He shook and clutched his head. “Yeah, sorry about that Twilight. That was weird. It was like I blacked out a little there.”

She raised an eyebrow. “You must be really hungry today. Go! Eat!” She shooed him with a hoof.

“I will! I’ll be right back!” He rushed out the door.

She rolled her eyes. That gem obsession of his was going to get him in trouble some day. How could he get so engrossed in a simple piece of food? As she returned to her test tubes, however, something nagged at the back of her mind. How long had she herself been studying this amulet? She vaguely recalled having other appointments today but she couldn’t pin the thoughts down. Ever since she had found the amulet in an unmarked package at the door of the library, she had made it her day’s mission to solve it. She shrugged. Whatever her other engagements were, they could wait until she finished. Unless…

She paused on her way back to the table. Perhaps it had some sort of entrancing power? Was she being controlled? No, she was imagining things. She had just concluded that the jewelry wasn’t enchanted, and even if it was, enchanted objects were incapable of giving off an aura that extended beyond direct contact, and she had made absolutely sure to not touch it.

As she started preparing her test tubes, the corner of her eye caught a flash that seemed to come from the amulet’s gem. Was some sort of magic naturally housed in the ruby? She stared into the amulet’s centerpiece, seeing if there was some sort of magical image imprinted into it. There didn’t seem to be any signs of such, though she suddenly realized how beautiful of a jewel it was. Its geometry was perfect, every side expertly cut, and each of its facets seemed to accentuate its center. It was as if the gem was a window into a magnificent world of red.

She placed her hooves on the table and leaned in closer. The ruby’s depths seemed endless, an ocean of crimson that ran off into an infinite horizon. It almost seemed like blood. She leaned in even closer, her nose almost touching it. It was blood. The viscous liquid started to swirl and launch itself outside of its frame. It flowed upwards to the carved unicorn head at the top of the amulet, running into a smaller ruby that represented the metal pony’s eye.

The metal head slowly turned to look at her, two red vortices gazing back at her, sucking her in, showing her a world of power.

Sucking in a sharp breath, she pulled back and shook her head. How long had she been staring at it? She looked back at the amulet and jumped. A yelp escaped her throat.

She was staring into the mirror by her dresser, the reflection of the amulet shining back at her as it hung firmly around her neck.

She raised her hooves up to remove it but the amulet’s texture overwhelmed her. It was smooth like silk, but completely unyielding like iron. It felt cool. A comfortable, relaxing cool that made the room temperature of the library around her feel irritating.

“Twilight, what are you doing?”

She started and turned to look at the door where Spike stood with a raised eyebrow and a claw picking at his teeth. “Did you conclude that it was safe?”

She looked down at the amulet, noticing how well it looked in contrast with the purple of her chest. “Oh yes, it’s perfectly safe. Very… very… very… safe.” She ran a hoof along it again, the hairs on her neck standing up at the thrill. She smiled lazily.

“Um… Twilight… are you okay?” Spike slowly walked closer to her. “You’re acting really weird, and you seem to like that amulet… a lot.”

“It’s the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen.” She held her breath. She could feel a deep, thick magical energy crawl out of the amulet and up her body.

Spike moved beside her and tilted his head. “Um… maybe you should take it off?” He reached his claw towards it.

“I will never take it off!” She shrieked, recoiling from Spike’s claw and baring her teeth at the thief.

He jumped back, shielding his face. “Okay, I’m sorry, Twilight! You’re right! It looks good on you!”

She closed her eyes and took a few deep breaths and let the amulet’s calming magic flow through her body. With tranquility overtaking her again, she opened her eyes and looked back at her assistant, watching as he carefully tried to shuffle towards the door. The poor little guy just didn’t understand yet. “Spike, trying to escape isn’t going to help you. I better show you the power of this amulet before you cause trouble.”

He stood stock still and gave her wide eyes.

“Spike, come here.” She waved a hoof for him to come closer.

He visibly swallowed but made no movement.

“Spike, come here!” She growled at the simpleton.

That seemed to do it. He started breathing heavily as he dragged himself to her. As soon as he was nearby she plunged into the magical depths contained in the amulet and shivered as a well-spring of power leapt out of it and gave her reserves a surge of energy. The force it contained started to course through her veins. She lit up her horn and shot a magical blast directly at Spike and watched as he was lifted into the air and spun about.

It spun him faster and faster, and within seconds, he fell to the floor. She reached a hoof over to help him up and look into his eyes. They had a distinctive red glow. She grinned. “Excellent! Now to show the rest of my friends!”


“I’d be happy to help,” said Trixie, smiling at the stallion. “Where are you headed?”

“I’m headed down the road. Ponyville, actually. Are you sure it’s no trouble?” The stallion lowered his head and looked at her over his thick glasses.

He made a strange picture with his tunic and braided gray-blue mane. Had she not seen some of the bizarre modern fashions that made themselves known in downtown Manehattan, she would have thought he was from a distant land. There was a time when she would have had nothing to do with helping a pony so strange but she was in good spirits and it wouldn’t be any trouble to chauffeur him for a small amount of time.

“No trouble at all. I’m heading to Ponyville myself. Hop aboard.” She unhitched herself from her mobile stage and traveling house and walked to its rear to open it.

“Oh, thank you, miss, thank you.” The stallion walked up the wagon’s back ramp. “Oh my, the inside of this is amazing!”

“I know. It’s quite luxurious, isn’t it? I spent quite a few shiny bits on it right before I left on this trip, but it was entirely worth it. I wanted to travel like I used to, just with a little more… style. Help yourself to the massage chair.”

The stallion’s face broke out into a wide grin as he peeked his head around the corner. “Oh, don’t mind if I do.”

She could feel the chair inside start to vibrate and she smirked. She closed the back of the wagon and ran her hoof along its polished, oak exterior. She hitched herself back up to it and, with a small breath, she continued walking down the dirt road, picking up the pace. She needed to hit Ponyville by sundown if she was to be on schedule.

She smiled as an ever-so-light breeze started up, rustling her mane and brushing gusts of good-smelling, fresh Equestrian field air into her nose. She loved Manehattan but a change of locale had been long overdue. When her vacation time came around she had mailed Fluttershy and asked if it was all right with her coming to visit for awhile, and of course the pegasus was absolutely ecstatic, though confused when Trixie said that she had no intention of taking a train or a series of chariot flights. Trixie managed to convince the worry-wart that she was fine traveling alone, saying that she wanted to relive the freedom of her older, traveling days.

Somewhere in the depths of her mind she realized that by being in such good spirits she was completely betraying the entire reason for choosing Ponyville as her destination. She had originally done so in an attempt to put an end to this new, weaker part of her that had taken over her life of recent, or if not get rid of it, at least try to understand it. Ever since she and Fluttershy crossed paths, her life had been radically changed, a change that confused and irritated her to no end. She had never been put through so much drama and stress in her entire life than during the time she had lived and worked alongside that silly pegasus, all because the stupid stage show’s manager just had to get a new animal handler. Yet, despite the rough spots, she had come out of the ordeal with a helpful, selfless facet to her that hadn’t been there before. At first she managed to fight it but then Fluttershy started sending letters and Trixie found herself unable to resist being chipper every day. Even her speech had changed.

So she had decided to come to Ponyville to see if she could break ties with her one-time nemesis and become her old self again-- a mindset she held for all of an hour before the thought of visiting her old friend and getting out of the city overwhelmed her and put a smile on her face.

Grassland stretched out in all directions, providing a view for her to soak in along with the sun’s warm rays. Her smile grew. Another small voice cried out from the recesses of her mind, cursing her for surrendering the battle so quickly but as the day continued its blissful conditions the voice was drowned out, succumbing to the joys of travel. She impressed even herself with her speed, reaching the Ponyville well before sunset. Of course, her wagon was enchanted to be extremely light-weight, but surely some of the speed had to be from her well toned legs. A tune sprang to her lips, something sappy from the rarely used parts of her brain and she found herself humming loudly as she skipped towards the outskirts of town.

She pulled up to a bridge that led into Ponyville proper and knocked on the back of the wagon. The door opened and her passenger peered out. His eyebrows raised. “We’re there already? You keep up a good pace, lady.”

“Oh, it’s just my regular speed.” She batted a hoof. “Is this a good place to drop you off?”

The stallion glanced around and nodded his head. “This will do fine, thank you. Is there any way I can repay you?”

For once, Trixie couldn’t think of anything she needed, much less why the stallion should even be in debt to her. “Of course not. I’m just helping a fellow pony out.”

“Well thank you, miss. I won’t forget it. Have a good day!” He reached back to grab his odd hat and started walking towards town.

“You too,” she called back. She hooked herself back up to her wagon and started skirting the river. If Fluttershy’s directions were correct, it would take her right to the nature dweller’s home.

She could feel another warm glow start to build up inside her subconscious, a result of the help she had just provided, but she really didn’t want to think about it too much. Nonetheless, her insides acknowledged it and if her steps weren’t already light enough, she now felt like she was going to bounce straight into the air. If the smile on her face grew any wider then she was going to need a doctor.

Walking over the apex of one last hill, she saw her destination: a quaint, little cottage nestled just past a burbling stream. Fish periodically jumped out of it, their scales glinting in the sunlight, while birds chirped happily as they flew from tree to tree that dotted the surrounding landscape. Trixie let out a sigh as her hooves brushed against the brilliantly green grass just outside the house. It was so soft. She stopped her walking and loosed herself from her wagon, listening to the sounds around her. All of nature was forming a harmony, making a melody that she could hear clearly. She closed her eyes and let it all sink in.

“Trixie!”

She opened her eyes just in time to see a rush of pink and yellow wrap two hooves tightly around her. Without thinking, she returned the embrace. Fluttershy let out a squeal and Trixie found herself giggling.

Then, in an explosion, her brain woke up and finally registered the situation. This was most certainly not acceptable behavior. She instantly ended the hug, backed up a few steps, and coughed. The smile on her face slid into a frown and the harmony of nature around her turned to an ugly din. A bluejay glided on top of Fluttershy’s head and she shot a glare at it, sending it back into the air.

“Sorry, Trixie is a little lightheaded right now. She hasn’t had lunch yet.” She brushed her chest lightly.

“Oh, I understand!” Fluttershy beamed. “I was just on my way to the Ponyville market to pick up some more food. Do you want to come?”

The knee-jerk reaction in Trixie settled down and she took a deep breath. Obviously now was not the time to let out her annoyance in full and she still had a part of her that enjoyed Fluttershy’s company. She sighed and nodded at the offer. “Sure.”

Fluttershy started skipping down the path and Trixie followed with a casual canter.

“You’ll have to tell me all about the Mane Event since I left! How is everypony doing? Is it still successful? Have you heard anything about High Hat and Maribel? What about—“ Fluttershy stopped mid-sentence and ducked her head. “Oh, I’m sorry, I’m asking too many questions aren’t I?”

Trixie laughed and shook her head. “No, I can answer all of those quite easily.”

She explained all to Fluttershy’s desire as they made their way towards Ponyville. It turned out there wasn’t much to tell. The Mane Event was still going strong if not stronger, Ivy had become a little less sarcastic around her, Hue was pretty unaffected, and Big Entrance had only become more flamboyant. It was as if Trixie had been the only one really transformed by Fluttershy’s visit.

“Um…” Fluttershy slowed to a halt as they walked into Ponyville’s market. “Where is everypony?”

Trixie broke off from her status report and looked around. Sure enough, the place was dead. It was more than dead. It already had a memorial service and had been buried in the ground. The shops and booths still had their wares on fine and eye-catching display as if the market was still filled with hustle and bustle, but there were no ponies.

“Is there some sort of town meeting you weren’t invited to?” she asked, starting to slowly turn in a circle, looking for any signs of life.

“Uh, no, no I don’t think so. Maybe they forgot to invite me?” Fluttershy started to imitate Trixie in her spinning.

Trixie stood stock still and perked her ears up. Nothing but silence. “Am I… the only one getting a little disturbed by this?”

“No,” said Fluttershy in a whisper, crouching beside Trixie.

“Hey, look, stragglers!”

The two ponies shot up and turned around, looking down the street behind them. Out of all the things Trixie expected to find, a small, purple dragon pointing an accusing claw was quite far down the list. There was something… off about him, though. “That’s Twilight’s dragon, isn’t it?” She squinted her eyes. “Are his eyes… glowing?”

Fluttershy squeaked as another voice spoke behind them. “I thought we had gotten the last of them.”

Trixie sighed as she was forced to turn around again. She spun to find herself almost nose to nose with Twilight. Now, she didn't have the best memory in Equestria, but observing the face before her, she was quite sure that her old Ponyville rival didn’t used to have glowing, red smoke wisping out of her eyes.

Twilight scrunched up her nose. “What are you doing here?” She paused before slapping a hoof to her face. “That’s right! You were coming over to visit Fluttershy today. I entirely forgot! If I had remembered to check my calendar before I started fixing the town then I would have already taken care of you two.” She bopped her hoof against her head again and shook it. “Well, there’s no time like the present!”

“Twilight, are you okay? What happened to you?” asked Fluttershy.

“I discovered it, Fluttershy!” A toothy grin spread across Twilight’s face and she started shuffling her hooves. “All my life I’ve been studying this world, but now I’ve finally found it, the answer! I’ve never been better in my whole life!”

“What is… it?” Fluttershy asked.

“Obviously something bad! Just look at that smile!” Trixie pointed a hoof at Twilight’s face. “I recognize an evil grin when I see one!”

“Haven’t you noticed the new part of me?” Twilight looked down at the amulet on her neck. “It changed me. Made me…” She sucked in a sharp breath and let it out slowly. “Well, I don’t think I can even describe it. How weird is that? With all my knowledge and vocabulary, I can’t even explain its power. You’ll just have to see for yourself.” The gem at the center of the amulet seemed to shine.

Trixie averted her eyes, instead watching as Fluttershy looked straight at it, her eyes started to glaze over.

She was having none of it. She grabbed Fluttershy and pulled her to the side, shielding her eyes with her hoof.

“Ah, Trixie.” Twilight clicked her tongue. “Fluttershy has been talking about how you’re not the arrogant showpony that you used to be. If that’s true, why are you being so standoffish? Don’t you want to be friends?”

“Let’s get something settled, first.” Trixie narrowed her eyes. “Are you crazy right now?”

“Crazy? Uh, no.” Twilight frowned and looked behind them. “Spike, have I been acting odd lately?”

Her assistant walked up to her side. “No, Twilight. You’re totally fine.” He looked at Trixie and crossed his claws.

“Now, if you two could just hold still, I’ll let you join the rest of the town and we can continue being friends.” Twilight’s horn lit up with a crimson aura and the glow of her eyes intensified.

“All right, time to leave!” Trixie pushed Fluttershy sharply. “Run!”

The two ponies darted back the way they came. Before they could even build momentum, their attacker appeared out of thin air in front of them, forcing them to dig their hooves into the ground to come to a halt.

Twilight frowned at them. “If you run, it’s only going to make things more difficult.”

“Oh really?” Trixie lit up her horn with as much vivid magenta as she could manage. “I will blast you if you don’t move out of the way!”

Twilight’s eyes glimmered and her horn’s tip exploded with red arcs of electricity. One bolt shocked Trixie’s horn and several more crackled in the air above their heads. A transparent, red forcefield built up around them. “That is a high level physical barrier.” She looked down her nose at the two and tapped the barrier with a hoof. “For all intents and purposes, it acts as a several feet thick concrete wall. That spell I just cast on your horn will magnify and reflect back any spell you cast on me and renders you completely trapped. Can I show you two a new way of life now?”

“Twilight, please don’t do this.” Fluttershy huddled close to the ground.

“It’s not bad, Fluttershy. Don’t worry. In fact, I’ll show you.” Twilight turned to Spike who stood outside of the force field. “Spike, go get the rest of the town.”

He nodded and ran off.

“The rest?” Fluttershy hid behind her hooves.

“Yes. They’ve all been shown a new way of life.” Twilight stared at her friend and walked closer.

Trixie examined her captor and the barrier around her. Spells like those were never foolproof. She just had to come up with something novel, like on her stage performances, something the audience didn’t expect. She smirked and cast a spell softening the tip of her horn. "Trixie hates books."

"What?" Twilight whipped her head in Trixie's direction.

"Nothing. It's just that times like these remind Trixie just how much she hates the written word."

Twilight took a few steps towards Trixie. "Books are amazing! Why would say that?"

"Grr!" Trixie sighed. "Trixie just forgot that she didn't get a chance to burn any books this morning. She's just going to have to burn twice as many tomorrow."

She stared straight into red eyes as Twilight moved to stand right next to her, her jaw firmly set. "How many have you burned?"

Trixie quickly stepped back and lowered her head. With a yell, she jabbed straight forward.

“Ow, my eye!” Twilight clutched at it and recoiled, the barrier going down with her concentration.

“No rule says that unicorns can’t get a little physical in a magic fight.” Trixie stood over her rival and grinned.

Twilight groaned and slowly got back to her hooves. She looked up at Trixie, rubbing her eye. “No, I guess not. I’ll have to remember that next time.”

“Save yourself the trouble of remembering. Trixie will best you the second time, too.” Trixie breathed onto her hoof and rubbed her chest.

“Trixie, that second time is now.” Twilight raised an eyebrow and smiled. Her horn lit up before quickly dimming. “Hey, wait, where’s Fluttershy?” She looked around her.

“Trixie thinks you scared her. Would you expect Fluttershy to hang around after behavior like that?” Trixie shook her head.

“Wait a second…” Twilight leaned in closely to look at Trixie. “You’re not even here are you?”

Trixie looked to the side and scrunched up her face. “What do you mean?”

Twilight fired a blast of magic and watched as it went right through the unicorn. “Illusions? You’re kidding.”

Trixie smiled and waved a hoof at her opponent. “It’s one of Trixie’s many skills. She’ll be seeing you.”

She retracted the part of her concentration she was using to keep up the illusion and brought her full attention to the matter at hoof—running away. She and Fluttershy had made it outside of Ponyville proper by the time Twilight had caught on. She turned to her fellow escapee. “We’re going to need a place to hide.”


The bush had one hundred and thirty-six leaves. Trixie was quite sure that was the number. She had counted twice. Concluding that there was no more amusement to be had there, she turned her attention elsewhere, paying attention to the regular gust of air that brushed against her side. Apparently Fluttershy’s breathing finally slowed down. They must have been laying low for awhile now.

“I think I’m going to check outside,” Trixie whispered.

The bursts of air became more frequent. “No, we should wait here longer.” She could feel Fluttershy crawl closer to her. “They could still be looking for us.”

“If I don’t stretch in the next minute, then I think I will become permanently stuck in this position,” Trixie whispered back. “I’m only going to take a quick, quiet look.” She started crawling forward and pulled herself out of the clump of brush they had taken refuge in. There wasn’t a pony in sight, just a light breeze and the gentle rays of the sun. Which, of course, only meant one thing—they had abandoned the search in favor of a reactionary approach. She poked her head back into the bush that had housed her boredom for the past few hours. “You can come out now. It’s safe.”

Slowly but surely, Fluttershy’s face slid out of the bush, her eyes darting in all directions. After confirming the clear coast, she carefully took the rest of her body with her. “Did they just give up?”

“No, they’ve setup some sort of trap. It’s what I would do if I had two ponies I wanted to foalnap running amuck around the countryside. It would take forever to properly comb every nook and cranny. Why go through all the trouble when you can just set some ponies up to capture us.” Trixie looked into the horizon. “We can’t go back to your place. Twilight knows you live there and will have somepony, maybe even herself, waiting there.”

“But what about my animals? We can’t just leave them there!”

“We’re going to have to. Besides, I’m sure they can take care of themselves, right?” Trixie tried to smile reassuringly but it felt more like a grimace.

“This is evil magic! They don’t know how to handle something like that!” Fluttershy started shaking visibly and biting at the nails of her hooves.

“I don’t see any reason for them to hurt defenseless animals, or if the stories you’ve told me about your bunny are true, very violent animals. Regardless, we’re going to wind up with red glow in our eyes if we go back to your cottage.” Trixie pulled down the skin under her eyes to emphasize her point.

“But, but, but—“

“Fluttershy, you’re animals will be fine! Fine! F-I-N-E!” Trixie prodded the bundle of nerves with her hoof.

“Okay, deep breaths, Fluttershy.” Fluttershy sucked in air with a gasp and let it out slowly.

“Yes, try to calm yourself. Now’s not the time to be emotional. We need clear heads. Now, where would good substitute shelter be? Oh, we could use my--” Trixie pounded a hoof into the ground. “I just remembered that my wagon is at your home! All of my clothes, my massage chair, my makeup, my wine, my favorite snack, you know, the little crackers made by that baker in downtown Manehattan?” She growled.

“Okay, I think I’m ready… I’m okay…” Fluttershy slowly got to her hooves. “I need to just not think about… my animals… and their cute little faces… ahh—“

She started to let out a loud squeak before Trixie clamped a hoof on her mouth and gave her a hard glare. “Are. You. Good?”

Fluttershy said something muffled and nodded her head.

Trixie slowly pulled her hoof off of Fluttershy’s mouth. “Now, where can we go other than my lovely, expensive wagon?" She started her own breathing exercises and stared at the ground. "They’re bound to have ponies stationed at the perimeter of the town and we ever-so-wisely decided to run in the direction of the forest so that we could corner ourselves, so there's no heading to another town.” She glanced back. “And I really don’t want to sit in those bushes another second longer.”

Fluttershy twisted her mouth before her eyes lit up. “Oh, we could go to Zecora’s! She needs to know what’s happened and I’m sure she’d let us stay there while we figured something out. But…”

“But?” Trixie raised an eyebrow.

“We’d have to go into the Everfree forest.”

Trixie waved a hoof. “That sounds easy enough. Haven’t you been in there dozens of times?”

“Well, yes, but that doesn’t make it any easier! You never know what you might come across in there!”

“Don’t worry, it can’t be anything worse than an Ursa Major. Don’t you remember who you’re talking to?” Trixie smiled widely. There was no reaction. “Not funny?”

Fluttershy gave her a worried frown.

Trixie sighed and her shoulders drooped. “I didn’t think so either.”


“I think it’s time for twenty questions.”

It was dark enough that Trixie could only see a few feet in front of her and the trees seemed to close in from all around them, housing eerie, animal noises, but Trixie was determined to not let the scenario bother her. She had a mystery to solve.

“Q-questions?” asked Fluttershy.

Trixie patted her companion on the shoulder. She had to admit, the pegasus was handling things a lot better than she had previously expected. Instead of jumping at every sound or freezing midstep and requiring pushing to get the rest of the way, she was actually just shaking at regular intervals and scanning the perimeter constantly.

“Yes. How long has Twilight had that amulet?”

“Um, uh, I- I don’t think I’ve ever seen it before.” Fluttershy’s head turned quickly to a howl in the distance.

“So she must have gotten it recently?” asked Trixie. “Hmm. Does she normally collect things like that?”

“Well, she’s interested in all sorts of magical items, b-but I wouldn’t say she has a collection, no, and she’s never mentioned anything like that before.” Fluttershy gasped at a rustle of leaves overhead.

“So she doesn’t collect magic jewelry, has never mentioned it before, but one day it’s in her possession and she goes crazy?” Trixie frowned. “That’s odd.”

“I th-think we’re here.”

Trixie looked up. The trees before them were starting to become sparser. They walked past a few more series of them and we’re met with the glow of artificial light. Bamboo poles holding torches were spread in a circle around a hut. Visible from its windows was an even brighter light inside.

“Oh, thank goodness!” Fluttershy rushed up to the door of the hut and knocked on it.

Trixie slowly caught up with her. They waited. Trixie coughed. They waited some more. Fluttershy knocked again. “Zecora, it’s me, Fluttershy! I’ve brought my friend, Trixie!”

Still no answer.

“Well I’m not about to stay outside in the elements with a roof right here.” Trixie tried the door and was pleased to find it unlocked. “I’m sure she won’t mind.” She walked inside and examined the place.

She was quite sure she had never seen more bottles in a single room in her entire life. The shelves surrounding the room had all the bars in downtown Manehattan beaten by a large margin. There had to be every herb and potion imaginable sitting on those shelves. She examined the rest of the hut, taking note of the strange masks and the jungle theme. “Of course she’s a zebra. I should have known with a name like Zecora.”

“Is that a problem?” asked Fluttershy.

“No, I just like knowing my deductive skills are still good.” She grinned and directed her attention to the much more important aspect of the place-- the floor. “Ah, good, there’s plenty of room for us.”

“I really hope she doesn’t mind.” Fluttershy stepped in and closed the door behind her.

“Tough cookies if she does,” said Trixie. “I’d like to see her—“

Fluttershy squeaked loudly as the door flew back open behind her.

“To walk into a home uninvited, is to show yourself quite shortsighted.”

The two intruders stared as Zecora slowly walked inside, her eyes on the floor. She kicked the door closed behind her and lifted her head. Her eyes glowed brightly with red smoke.

“Of course!” Trixie rolled her eyes.

“No! Zecora! Not you too!” Fluttershy held a hoof over her mouth.

“Yes, I have been shown the light, and soon you will be given such sight.” Zecora grinned and started walking towards them.

“Enough with your silly rhymes, let’s do this!” Trixie lowered her head and spread her legs apart. “Attack positions, Fluttershy.”

“I don’t want to have to hurt you Zecora, but it’s for your own good.” Fluttershy opened her wings and bit her bottom lip.

Before Trixie could even fully register it, Zecora whipped a hoof into a pouch at her waist and threw a cloud of purple powder at Fluttershy.

The pegasus blinked as the powder hung in the air around her face. She sneezed and every part of her body stiffened. She fell to the side, her wing bending to meet the floor.

Trixie stared at the perfectly still Fluttershy and then back to Zecora.

“Well… feathers.”