• Published 3rd Feb 2013
  • 2,486 Views, 77 Comments

Bell, Book & Candle - Bradel



In the pre-classical era, Star Swirl the Bearded was more than just a legendary conjurer - he was the unicorn kingdom's premier teacher of magic. Now, one of his pupils finds himself exiled across time, looking for a way back to his own world.

  • ...
2
 77
 2,486

Chapter 1

Bell, Book & Candle
Chapter 1

"Clover?"

His voice echoed in the darkness.

"Okay, Clover. Good one." A trickle of sweat ran down his neck as he laughed nervously. "Now can we get out of here?"

The only answer was the low groan of stones settling against one another. She'd had her fun, but this silence wasn't like her. Clover was always there with a joke whenever anypony fell for one of her pranks. Why not now, after that awful rockfall? Surely that had been her doing. Clover enjoyed nothing better than scaring him. For a few moments, Bellbray had been convinced the whole cave was collapsing.

"C'mon, Clover. This isn't funny anymore."

Was it possible that she had something more elaborate planned? Was she still waiting for the other horseshoe to drop? Bellbray shivered. The air seemed colder now, though he couldn't explain why. And... what was that? As his eyes adjusted to the darkness, he noticed a fading magenta glow in the air, almost lost to sight. He turned back toward where the mouth of the cave had been, and found it silhouetted against a moonless midnight sky. A part of his mind registered that the entrance seemed further away than it had a few minutes before.

Bellbray scratched his mane and gave another nervous laugh. "Well, if you're not talking to me, then I'm heading back to the cottage." He attempted a light spell to help him pick his way through the dark cave, but his horn only flickered weakly. With a sigh, Bellbray released the spell. Creating light had never been much of a talent for him. Happily, the last traces of the magenta glow still clung to his hooves, giving him a rough idea of the ground around him.

He paced off the distance back to the entrance. It really was further away. Could the rockfall inside the cave have been caused by some sort of avalanche? No... An avalanche might have covered the entrance, but it couldn't have made the cave longer. I must be imagining it. The thought wasn't very reassuring. Maybe Clover had seen the rocks start to shift and galloped away to find help.

When he reached the mouth of the cave, Bellbray was so lost in thought he almost walked off the edge of a mountainside.

He leapt back with a yell. "Clov—!" The name died on his tongue. She had woken him in the night and brought him to a cave, but that cave had been at the base of a small cleft in the land, in sight of the old castle where they said the unicorn kings used to live generations ago. Bellbray took a tentative step toward the drop at the end of the cave, peering out at the surrounding landscape. The stars gave scant illumination, but there was no way to mistake this for the area around the old castle. Moreover, the land outside looked to be covered with a thick blanket of snow. Something was very wrong here. And whatever had happened, he couldn't believe Clover was the cause.

In the far distance, on the floor of the valley below, Bellbray could make out a faint glow. A village?

Momentarily, he turned back toward the cave's interior. "Clover!" he called, and waited in silence for any hint of reply. Could he hear breathing, out there somewhere? He paused for a minute, then another. No, there was no sound coming from the cave. It was as silent as... Best not finish that thought, he told himself with a shiver. Whatever had happened, Clover didn't seem to be here with him. That fact brought a sharp pain. He had hardly been parted from her in the month since their engagement. Now...

"Reason is oft left idle, lost between head and hoof." The voice of his mentor rang in Bellbray's mind. Whatever had happened, he wasn't going to figure it out standing in the mouth of this cave like a slack-jawed earth pony. If that really was a village he had seen on the valley floor, perhaps Bellbray could find some answers there. If not, he could always return to the cave on the morrow. Daylight might help him find clues to explain this misfortune, maybe even tell him where he was and how to get home to Clover and his studies.

That left the problem of being stuck halfway up the side of a mountain. Bellbray swallowed hard, pushing down his fear. He could see no clear path up to this cave. That meant using magic to get down from the mountain. His mouth drew into a line as he sat back on his haunches to consider the problem. Levitation spells weren't going to get him out of this; he was almost as bad with them as he was with light spells. Teleportation? "Unreliable over long distances!" his mentor's voice thundered in his head. But what choice did he have?

With a sudden smile, Bellbray clapped his hooves together. That ought to work. He hopped into the air and for a brief moment his horn glowed with a weak purple aura as a bubble of protective force appeared around him. Unfortunately for Bellbray, the floor of the cave wasn't completely level. The bubble in which he had suspended himself began rolling toward the mouth of the cave.

The idea of trusting his life to this force field while he careened down the mountainside didn't strike Bellbray as an appealing one, but he'd counted on having more time to focus on getting a teleportation spell right. He drew his lips tight as the bubble neared its long fall, and he could feel sweat beginning to stream down his face and neck. With eyes as big as teacups, he stared down at that glow of light on the valley floor. The bubble began to roll out of the cave, and a purple aura flared around Bellbray's horn as he activated the spell.

Pop!

He saw flashes of color and the facade of a small shop as he fell, dropping almost twelve feet to the ground. The protective bubble crashed into a thick blanket of snow and burst around him. Flakes scattered into the air and Bellbray shivered at the sudden cold of the snow, shaking his mane to dust himself off. Then something seemed to snag at his memory, and he turned to stare at the shop for a few moments. Its roof was shaped like a court jester's hat. Nearby, a larger shop looked to be roofed in horsehair. How is that even possible?

There were no lights in the windows of the jester's hat shop, nor in any of the other buildings behind it. He turned a slow circle. All of the houses and shops looked dark and empty – except for a tall, round building at the center of an open ring of snow-covered ground. It was lit up like a lantern, glowing from every window. Bellbray thought he could hear the sound of voices coming from inside. That glow had seemed so faint from the mountainside – he had been sure it couldn't belong to more than a village. Instead, it was a darkened town with only a single lit building. How strange. Had the place been abandoned?

A moment of panic stole over Bellbray. Ever since the rockfall in the cave, the world seemed to be getting stranger and stranger. His hooves froze up for a moment as he stared at the round structure, unable to move himself forward. What would he find in there? If there were residents in this place, would they even be ponies? The buildings around him looked nothing like the unicorn towns he knew. Nor like the structures he remembered from the few earth pony settlements he'd seen.

With a shake, Bellbray pulled himself out of his worries. "Reason is oft left idle," he muttered quietly, forcing one hoof in front of the other. He worked his way around to the building's entrance. It had a pair of tall magenta-painted doors. Working up his nerve, he grabbed the handle of one of the doors in his teeth and pulled it open, slipping inside.

Bellbray stopped dead in his tracks. The building was jam-packed with ponies – unicorns, yes, but pegasi and earth ponies too. He looked at the gathering in shock. Was this some sort of grand assemblage? No, the ponies here weren't dressed in their best, and all of their attention was turned to a raised platform at the front of the room where two unicorns, two pegasi, and two earth ponies seemed to be yelling at each other in loud voices. Or rather, three of them were yelling. The other three looked frightened more than anything else.

From the back of the crowd of ponies, a unicorn turned and hissed at him. "Shut the door! You're letting all the heat out!" Abashed, Bellbray turned and pulled the door closed behind him. It did seem much warmer in here than outside. Some sort of heat spell, maybe? He looked around the room, but everypony was watching the arguing ponies with rapt attention. A brown earth pony with a dark mane to match turned to look at Bellbray for a moment, his eyes narrowing, but just as quick he was back to watching the argument with the others.

Bellbray turned his own attention to the stage, stepping forward to get a better view.

A black pegasus stallion with a silver-white mane and a suit of black armor was pacing across the platform, shouting at a unicorn wearing a purple-and-white cloak. "Great. Now there's no way out! We're trapped!" Meanwhile, a mist of white confetti blew across the stage around them.

This must be some sort of play, Bellbray thought to himself. But I've never heard of an acting troupe with non-unicorn players before. How strange.

Now the unicorn in the cloak, an aquamarine-colored mare, was shouting back at the pegasus and an improbably-dressed purple earth pony with pink mane and green eyes. "You two deserve this horrible fate. You've done nothing but argue and fight with each other."

"You've been fighting, too, 'your highness'!" The voice of the black pegasus dripped with scorn.

"Yeah! Worse! I haven't been fighting nearly as much as you!" That from the purple earth pony with what looked to be a bowl of pudding balanced on her head. As she spoke, the light-blue glow of somepony's magic covered her hooves, and ice began creeping up her legs to freeze her in place. Now that he looked, Bellbray could see the same thing was happening to the pegasus stallion and the unicorn with the purple-and-white cloak. The three kept trading insults until, finally, they were encased in ice from head to toe, leaving the stage to the other three ponies.

As Bellbray watched, ice began to coat the stage as well – that was a clever-looking spell – and the three remaining ponies huddled together in fear. A low howling noise filled the room as white streamers and painted images of things that looked like monstrous white horses were made to dance several feet above the stage. One of the three, a pegasus with an ice-blue mane and a coat almost the same shade of lilac as Bellbray's own, looked up toward the ceiling and asked, "What is that... thing?"

The unicorn who responded was light-blue with a mane of blue and white. The mark on her flank looked suspiciously like an hourglass, but she wore a brown cloak which covered part of it. "They must be windigos. My mentor Star Swirl the Bearded taught me about them. They're winter spirits that feed off fighting and hatred. The more hate the spirit feels, the colder things become."

Bellbray found himself nodding along. Yes, he could remember his mentor telling him and Clover just that. Wherever this place was, the ponies here knew of Star Swirl the Bearded. That, at least, was a good sign. One of Star Swirl's first students must have come to this place, wherever it was, and spread word of his wisdom. Somepony would surely know the way back.

"Then this is our fault, we three tribes," said the earth pony of the three, a stallion with a caramel-colored coat and a brown mane. "We brought this blizzard to our home by fighting and not trusting each other. Now it's destroying this land too."

"And now our bodies will become as cold as our hearts," the unicorn replied. "All because we were foolish enough to hate."

The ice continued to creep across the stage, reaching out toward the hooves of the three ponies. The pegasus stared at it for a moment before turning back to the other two. "Well, I don't hate you. I actually hate Commander Hurricane a lot more than I hate you guys." That, with a meaningful look at the frozen pegasus with the silver-white mane. The earth pony and the unicorn laughed. "Actually, I don't really hate him – I just really, really, really, really, really dislike him."

All three laughed together this time. "Well, I don't hate you guys either," the earth pony declared. "Nor do I," the unicorn added.

The ice was beginning to encrust these three as well, but before it reached their heads, the earth pony said, "No matter what our differences, we're all ponies." And then they, too, were swallowed in ice – but only for a moment. The unicorn's blue horn flared to life and suddenly a blazing heart appeared in the air above them. The ice had vanished from the three, though it still covered much of the stage as well as the three ponies who had been arguing.

The three who had been freed from the ice stood stunned for a moment. Then breathlessly, the pegasus asked, "What was that?" The earth pony nodded his head vigorously. "I didn't know unicorns could do that."

"I didn't either. Nothing like this has ever happened before." The unicorn looked as mystified as she sounded. "But I know it couldn't have been just me. It came from all three of us, joined together – in friendship."

A tan mare with a very light-gray mane and the mark of a scroll on her flank ascended the stage while the three ponies began to pantomime. She looked out over the audience and, after a moment, began to narrate the rest of the story. "All through the night, the three ponies kept the Fire of Friendship alive by telling stories to one another, and by singing songs, which of course became the winter carols that we all still sing today. Eventually, the warmth of the fire, the singing and laughing, reached the leaders – and their bodies began to thaw." As if to match her words, the ice finally began receding around the three ponies who had been arguing, and all six joined in the pantomime. "And, it even began to melt their hearts."

A flare of light erupted above the stage, where the 'windigos' had been a minute earlier. It drew the attention of the six actors as well as every other pony in the room, but the narrator continued to speak. "The three leaders agreed to share the beautiful land, and live in harmony ever afterwards. And together, they named the new land..."

"Equestria!" All seven ponies on stage said the name together, along with most of the audience. There was a brief clang of bells, and then the ponies on stage began to sing. It appeared to be a song that everypony knew well, and the audience joined in without hesitation. It was a song completely unknown to Bellbray.

As the singing continued, Bellbray began to feel a deep unease. Something about the play nagged at him. This was all starting to feel very wrong. Even more than in the cave on the mountainside. He listened to the song for a few moments, but it only seemed to magnify his discomfort. Bellbray turned back toward the door, not sure where he wanted to go but eager to get away from the source of his unease.

Another pony was approaching him, however – the light-blue unicorn mare from the play. She was still wearing her costume, the simple brown cloak with a hood. She must have slipped offstage just as the song started. As the other ponies sang, she stepped toward him with a smile. "Hey stranger. I don't think I've seen you in Ponyville before. New here?"

"Y-yes, but... I think maybe I should be leaving now."

"So soon?" She looked disappointed, and shot a quick glance at somepony in the crowd. "But I haven't even learned your name."

"Bell... Bellbray," he replied, eyeing the magenta doors. He was so nervous, he didn't even care if she laughed at the name just then.

"Excellent!" Part of his mind registered the fact that she didn't laugh. She seemed oddly resolute. "Mine's Minuette. And you can't leave yet, not on Hearth's Warming Eve! I insist!" She looked past Bellbray for a moment and seemed to give somepony a tiny nod. "You can stay at my place tonight. If you don't have anywhere to go, that is."

Bellbray gave a nervous laugh. "Um. Thanks. Minuette." He swallowed hard. Well, he could hardly turn down an offer like that. He eyed her costume, looking for something else to talk about. "I didn't see all of it, but that looked like an excellent play."

"Oh, gosh! Thank you!" The mare beamed back at him, and for a moment she seemed much more candid. "I've never gotten to play in the pageant before, and I was sure this year Twilight Sparkle was going to get to play Clover the Clever, but she and her friends..."

Minuette kept talking, but the words became a drone for Bellbray. He felt like somepony had just smashed him over the head with a hammer. When he replied to her, his voice was very quiet. "Did you say 'Clover the Clever'? Student of Star Swirl the Bearded?"

The mare looked at him oddly. "Of course. Don't you know the story of Hearth's Warmi... Bellbray? Are you oka—"

Whatever else she had to say, Bellbray didn't hear it. He had fainted dead away.