• Published 3rd Feb 2013
  • 2,487 Views, 77 Comments

Bell, Book & Candle - Bradel



In the pre-classical era, Star Swirl the Bearded was more than just a legendary conjurer - he was the unicorn kingdom's premier teacher of magic. Now, one of his pupils finds himself exiled across time, looking for a way back to his own world.

  • ...
2
 77
 2,487

Chapter 2

Bell, Book & Candle
Chapter 2

"Clover?"

"Yes, dear?" Turning her head, the teal-colored unicorn walking beside Bellbray smiled for him. Even in dreams, he had never quite grown accustomed to the simple beauty of that smile.

"Did Master Star Swirl say anything about why the new chancellor wanted this meeting?"

Clover was silent for a while, picking her way along the cobbled road. When she spoke, her voice was quiet. "He didn't say anything, no. But he seemed... nervous. I think he's worried that the earth ponies' appointment of this new chancellor, Puddinghead, is a rejection of Sugar Cookie's old policies."

"...Has to be something you can do."

The dream rocked like a ship in rough seas. The cobbles melted into pools of liquid color and a cage of wooden walls erupted from the surrounding emptiness. Bellbray found himself sitting beside Clover, meeting with the new leader of the earth pony tribe. They were in an enormous hall, and earth ponies of every hue had congregated to watch in a gallery overlooking the chancellor, his extensive retinue, and two overmatched representatives of the unicorn tribe.

"Our ponies will not continue to... to give tribute to the unicorns in this fashion." Puddinghead's face was red with anger. "We are no slaves, not to your people nor to the pegasi."

Bellbray felt his hackles rising, but Clover touched her hoof to his arm and shook her head. Taking a deep breath, Bellbray tried to calm himself. "Chancellor, sir, the unicorn tribe has never asked the earth ponies for tribute. But you must recognize that your good harvests owe as much to the cycles of the sun and moon as to your own tribe's unique talents."

"So now you claim credit for our own work? The insolence!" Puddinghead slammed a hoof down on the table, rage twisting his face. "If you're the ones responsible for the growth of our crops, why do you need anything from us at all, eh? Why don't the unicorns just farm for themselves?"

Clover spoke quietly. "You have made your feelings clear, Your Excellency. I am sorry we could not be of more help. I think, perhaps, your inquiries would be better put to the leaders of our tribe." She began to rise.

"I can't find the source – it’s almost as if it doesn’t exist yet. But that's not the biggest problem."

The air swirled with crawling fingers of red-purple fog. "Now wait a minute." Bellbray stood, his own anger getting the best of him. "I think His Excellency's question deserves an answer. Why doesn't the unicorn tribe farm for itself?" Clover shot him a frown, and he heard a few surprised titters from the watching earth ponies. "What do you know of magic, sir?"

A brief look of surprise flashed across the chancellor's face. "I hardly see how my own knowledge of magic is rela—"

Bellbray galloped over the chancellor's objection. "And how many unicorns do you think are needed, sir, to maintain the cycle of the sun and moon?"

"...Do you mean, 'that's not the biggest problem'?"

Puddinghead rose to his hooves as well, and his carefully stage-managed anger was replaced with cold fury. "Too many are needed, boy. Too many. Perhaps we can't do without your kind yet, but we will find a way. And then the unicorn tribe will pay for the humiliation they have heaped on us these many years. Guards!"

The ring of armored earth ponies constricted around Bellbray. A cloak of nightmare black shrouded the image, and he felt the bite of spears tearing across his hide. The world evaporated in a damp cloud of putrid yellow that clung to his coat even while the sun burned it away. As the fog cleared, Bellbray found himself sitting beside Clover at the bank of a trickling stream a few hours' walk from the earth pony settlement. Holding a wet strip of cloth, the teal-coated unicorn was tending to a cut over her companion's eye.

"Stars above, Bellbray. He just wanted to show his tribe what a big stallion he was. Why did you have to go and argue with him like that?"

"It's something the books describe as a fixed point. The longer you’re here, the more unstable..."

"I didn't like it," Bellbray muttered. "The way he was talking about us, like unicorns were some kind of... I don't know. I just didn't like it."

"Oh, Bells," Clover sighed. "What am I going to do with you?" Suddenly, the sun snuffed out and panic overwhelmed Clover's voice. "Bellbray? Bellbray!?" The air was choked with dust. Rocks crashed down in a thunderous cacophony.

"Bellbray?"

His eyes shot open, and for a moment he didn't understand what he was seeing. The face of a light-blue unicorn with a blue-and-white mane. Minuette. He was lying on a bed – and a surprisingly comfortable one at that. For a moment, it felt like he was still breathing the dust-filled air of the cave. He wheezed painfully, and then his whole body shook with a fit of coughing.

Minuette helped him sit up and rubbed his back with one hoof. "Easy there, fella. How long were you out there in the snow, anyway? I hope you're not getting sick on us."

The snow. Like a key opening a lock, those words unleashed a surge of memories. The cold winter night. The strange town. The play, stranger still. And... "Clover. You said—" Bellbray gave another cough. "You said you were playing Clover the Clever?"

The blue pony gave him an odd look. "Yes, I did say that. Right before you decided to pass out. Mighty nice of you, that was. Makes a filly feel downright special." She sighed. "But I suppose it's not your fault, being caught out in the storm and all."

"...The storm?" His voice sounded dry and cracked.

"The pegasi said they had a big one planned for this Hearth's Warming Eve, but I don't think anypony expected it to be that big. We must have had more than three feet of snow last night. That is why you're here, right? In Ponyville. You needed to get out of the snowstorm?" Minuette's words sounded suspiciously leading.

Bellbray cleared his throat. "Umm. I don't mean to impose any further, Miss Minuette, but would you happen to have some water?"

"Oh! Of course!" The blue pony looked a little abashed at not having thought of it herself. "Just wait right here, and I'll go fetch some for you. And it's just Minuette, no Miss." She cantered out of the room, leaving Bellbray blessedly alone.

Why I’m here... And where, exactly, is here? The answer to that question seemed as immediate as it was impossible.

"And just because the answer is obvious, that means you shouldn't have to think it through?" How many times had he heard Star Swirl say that, to Bellbray himself or to one of the others?

Okay, let's make a list. What do we know? I went into a cave with Clover. There was some sort of rock fall, Clover vanished, and it looks like I came out of a completely different cave in a completely different place. Now I'm in a town called Ponyville. Ponies of all three tribes are living together here, and I don't recognize any of the architecture. By all indications, it's winter now and not spring. Moreover, the ponies here tell stories about Clover the Clever and Star Swirl the Bearded. And they seem to be celebrating some sort of holiday commemorating Clover, or at least her role in discovering this new land. Equestria?

What explanations would fit the available data? Well, there's the obvious one. Or Clover could have found some way to pull an extremely elaborate hoax. Or... Bellbray's imagination failed him – and the idea that Clover could have arranged anything of this magnitude was, frankly, risible. Between the change of seasons and the stories of ponies he knew participating in events he didn't, there was only one reasonable explanation, however insane it sounded.

"This is the future." The words came out as a whisper, and their utterance seemed to crystallize the idea into a tangible reality. The normally well-tuned gears of Bellbray’s mind shuddered once and ground to a halt.

After a minute, Minuette returned with a glass of water. She gave it to Bellbray, who drank it down dumbly. The blue unicorn watched him in silence for a moment. Were her eyes red from crying, or were Bellbray’s thoughts still addled by his predicament? It must have been the latter, because when she spoke again, Minuette sounded as cheerful as ever. "So, stranger! You were going to tell me how you got caught out in that snowstorm?"

The truth, Bellbray thought, was probably not the best option here. "Ahh. I was... um... visiting family?" Even to Bellbray, the answer sounded feeble. Maybe some elaboration would help it. "Or returning home, actually. My aunt and uncle live a few days south of here, and I live in... the north?" Sun and Stars, how was he supposed to come up with a believable story when his knowledge of this new land couldn't even fill a thimble?

Minuette's little frown told Bellbray how unconvincing his story had been. "It's okay, we can talk about it later. But if you're feeling up to it, there is somepony I think you should speak to." She glanced over her shoulder at the room's open doorway. "Doctor?"

As if on cue, a brown stallion entered the room. He had a dark mane and an hourglass-shaped mark on his flank, a match for Minuette's own. And he was an earth pony.

Bellbray felt himself stiffen instinctually. An earth pony serving as a doctor? What madness was this? He shot a panicked look at Minuette, but her attention was focused on the brown stallion.

The doctor planted himself at the side of the bed, offering his hoof to shake. Bellbray stared at the hoof for a moment before accepting the gesture. Was this how earth ponies greeted one another?

"Bellbray, is it?" The stallion's voice was energetic and commanding. He sounded much more like a typical unicorn than Minuette herself did. "My name is Time Turner. I hope you don't find any of this too unnerving. I know it can be difficult, being taken by exhaustion and waking up in an unfamiliar place." He sounded like he might have some personal experience with that scenario.

"N-no, I'm fine. Just a little... disoriented. Doctor." It felt strange and uncomfortable, calling the earth pony by that title. For that matter, how did an hourglass relate to the curative arts? Suspicion got the better of good judgment. “You really practice medicine? Where I come from, only unicorns—”

Time Turner’s deep laugh cut him off. “Shame on you, Minuette. You know you shouldn’t be leading our guest on like that. No, Bellbray, I’m not that kind of doctor. Medicine’s not really my gig. I’m more interested in... exploration.”

Bellbray’s eyes narrowed. “What does that mean?”

“It means I travel, of course.” The stallion’s tone was peremptory. “Lots of places. The past, mostly.”

The words hit like a hammer blow. “You... you what?”

The earth pony’s eyes blazed with a mad intensity, blazed like the fires at the heart of the sun. Bellbray could half imagine he was looking into portals that stretched back, ancient and forever, to the center of time itself. Suddenly, the doctor’s muzzle split wide in a manic grin and he spoke.

“Trust me. I’m a doctor of archaeology.”

“The study of... the past. Of course.” Sun and Moon, Bellbray. You’re going soft in the head. What did you think he was?

“Now, my apologies for eavesdropping, but did I hear you say that you were on your way north?"

"Yes," Bellbray muttered. "I suppose I did say that."

“Fantastic! Then perhaps we can be of some help. Minuette and I were just planning a trip up north – there’s an excellent new dig that’s been uncovered at the base of the Crystal Mountains – and we’d be happy to help you get home.”

Shame welled up in Bellbray. To be caught out in a lie so easily... Why had he made that fool claim? If there are any clues to what's behind all this, they're likely to be in that cave. Here is where I need to stay, at least for the moment. Is there any harm in telling these two I’ve nowhere to go? Well, perhaps to my pride, but that can be endured. "I find I must apologize. I was not entirely honest before. Truth to tell, I don't really have a place to call home right now.”

He'd expected to see some veiled horror on the faces of Minuette and the doctor. Isn't that how he'd react, learning that somepony was an outcast from tribe and society? But Minuette only nodded. Time Turner gave Bellbray a knowing look and a small – one might almost say victorious – smile.

"In that case," Minuette said, "You can st—"

"Minuette, aren't you forgetting that you have prior commitments?" Time Turner's tone was friendly but chiding. "You can't leave poor Bellbray alone here while we’re off traveling, can you?"

A spear of ice raced up Bellbray's spine. Master Star Swirl had tried hard to instill in him the value of all three pony tribes, but despite the friendly tone, that had sounded like an earth pony giving orders to a unicorn. The idea was just... unnatural.

Sighing, Minuette shook her head. "I suppose you're right, doctor. What do you think we should do?"

"Well, if Bellbray is up to it, perhaps you could take some time to show him around the town? I'll go speak with the mayor and see if we can arrange some accommodation for him."

"Oh, that sounds like a wonderful idea! Do you think you're up for it, Bellbray?"

"I should hope so," Bellbray muttered. It wasn't as if anything were really wrong with him, aside from an unknown amount of temporal dislocation. He rolled off the bed and stood facing Minuette and the doctor. Minuette, mostly – he found it difficult to look at the earth stallion after hearing him offering to provide the charity of a place to stay in town. Whatever his master's ideas of equality, that thought rankled.

"Good," Time Turner said cheerfully. "Then perhaps I'll see the two of you later today." The stallion gave a nod of his head to Minuette and left.

"So he wants me to show you around Ponyville, does he?" Minuette tapped a hoof to her lips thoughtfully. "Well, come on then. It's a big town and there's a lot to see. I don't really know what you'd find interesting, though."

Bellbray thought for a moment. "I don't know. Is there anywhere I could read up on a little history?"

There was an awkward pause, and Bellbray realized how odd his request must have sounded. Thankfully, Minuette seemed ready to fill in the gaps. "Is that... I mean... So, you study history too?"

Bellbray only nodded, no longer trusting himself to avoid saying something he shouldn't.

Minuette seemed to accept that, and she led the way out of the house and onto a small, snow-covered street clustered with thatch-roofed buildings. "Well, I have a few books, but I don’t know if they’d be what you’re looking for. I suppose there's the library, too. I don't really know what sort of books are in there, but if you were looking for information about history – for whatever reason – that would be a good place to start."

"Yes, a library. That would be good." The air was still chilly, though the afternoon sun shone down on the town. Bellbray glanced at the buildings along the path Minuette was following. "I'm a little surprised you have one in a town this size, though."

"Ponyville's not that small," Minuette said as she turned onto a wider thoroughfare. "And anyway, I've been to plenty of towns smaller than this. These days, they've all got libraries. Though ours is a little... different."

As they moved up the street, they passed a lilac-coated pegasus mare shoveling snow to the side of the roadway. She nodded to them agreeably, and Minuette nodded back before continuing on.

Bellbray stared back at the pegasus as he followed Minuette. He thought he remembered her from last night's play, but that wasn’t what trapped his attention. A pegasus shoveling snow? And she seemed so meek about it. Had she been exiled from the sky for cowardice, like old Tawnyfeather? No, this was not his world. Who knew why such things would happen here.

They continued along the road for another minute, and then Minuette pulled up in front of an enormous, snow-covered tree. "Here it is! The Ponyville Library."

"That?" Bellbray couldn't keep the disbelief out of his voice. "Somepony built a library in a tree?"

"Well... yeah. I don't really know how that happened. But this is our library!"

It does make an ironic kind of sense, though, doesn't it – storing books inside a tree. Bellbray stared at the structure in open fascination. It was such a daft idea that it might just be brilliant. He stepped forward to have a closer look.

"Hey! I know!" Something seemed to have caught Minuette's attention. "You've gotta be some sort of a librarian, right?"

Bellbray turned his head and gave the blue unicorn a quizzical stare. "Why would you say that?"

Minuette's face fell a little. "Oh. I thought, maybe..." She waved a hoof at the front of the library.

He turned to look where she was pointing. A sign bearing an open book stood beside the library door. That door, in turn, was painted with a candle and a ringed chamberstick. He frowned. Was he missing something? Bellbray turned back to Minuette. "I don't think I follow what you mean."

The blue unicorn gave an exasperated sigh. "Your cutie mark! A bell, a book, and a candle. I've been wondering what it meant ever since Time Turner..." Her voice trailed off, as if she didn't want to finish the thought aloud.

Bellbray turned back toward the library, careful to keep from looking at Minuette. She didn't know? She had to know. Not even this world could be that strange. The start of the familiar chant echoed in his mind, unbidden. With this bell, rich-resounding—

He coughed. "Aah. Yes. Well, more a scholar than a librarian I suppose. But you get the idea." Forcing a smile, he turned to face Minuette.

The blue unicorn wore a very self-satisfied look. "I knew I'd figure it out, sooner or later. I'm sure the doctor already knew, but he never tells me anything."

Time Turner knew? That seemed unlikely. "In any case, I would like to get a look at the sorts of books you have in there." Bellbray gave the library a hungry look. He was sure he'd be able to find answers to his questions inside. The easier ones, anyway.

"Sorry, Bellbray, but I don't think we can. It's really Twilight's library. I assume she'll be back from Canterlot today, but it doesn't look like she's home yet. Anyway, Time Turner wanted me to show you around town. I don't think he meant, 'Just show him the library.'" Minuette's hooves made dull thuds in the snow as she turned to leave.

Bellbray gave the library one last regretful look. He needed to get in there. He needed to learn more about this place, or more properly this time. How can a unicorn, any unicorn, not know the Aubade? That was our purpose! Seeing earth ponies and pegasi acting out-of-character set him on edge, but it hadn't prepared him for the idea that unicorns could be so changed in this place as well. With a sigh, he turned to follow Minuette. There would be time for the library later.

The rest of the tour was a bit of a blur. Minuette introduced him to many of her favorite spots around town, though few of them held any interest for Bellbray. In addition to a gluttonous overabundance of cafes and bakeries, the town seemed to have no end of clothiers, habersashers, spas, and mane stylists – one of which was, indeed, housed in a tall horsehair-thatched building.

Minuette seemed to be taking this tour thing very seriously. After slogging through slush-covered streets for close to an hour, Bellbray imagined there could hardly be a block of this town he hadn't seen. Finally, Minuette led the way up one of Ponyville’s widest roads and brought them to the plaza around the town hall.

The center of town was very different from how Bellbray remembered it in the darkened night. The air still carried a wintry chill, but somepony had plowed the night's snow into tall banks around the plaza's perimeter. Now in the light of day, the entire area was bustling. On the east side, an array of colorful tents sheltered a garden market. Southward, a frozen river snaked around the plaza. Young colts and fillies were down on the ice, skating and playing in the snow. A team of pegasi came out of the town hall carrying props and stage elements from last night's performance. They loaded the set dressing into a cart pulled by two other pegasi.

"And that's about all there is! Ponyville isn't a big place, but everypony's really friendly and there's always stuff to do." Minuette led Bellbray through the crowd thronging the plaza as she spoke. "It's much more exciting than most of the places I go with Time Turner. But I suppose that's just me complaining that I didn't know what I signed on for. I'm not saying it's not fun, mind you, just that..."

Bellbray lost track of Minuette's rambling as a muscle-bound white pegasus pushed by him and took flight on vestigial-looking wings. Bellbray watched the retreating pegasus with some irritation. You couldn't expect much from pegasi, but basic civility was incumbent on everypony. Not everything here is different, I suppose. Some pegasi are still prone to thinking with their muscles rather than their heads.

A deep shout rang out from somepony standing behind Bellbray. "Oi, Snowflake! Why'n'cha look where y'are goin'?"

The huge white pegasus turned in mid-air, looking abashed. "Sorry Ace! Cloudsdale Gym's offering a three-for-one deal on protein bars. Gotta get there before they run out. Nothing personal!"

Snowflake? His name is Snowflake?

The pegasus-drawn cart of set dressings was aloft now, heading south from the town hall. Snowflake, flying backward, was no more than a yard from the cart. Bellbray's throat caught. He watched the white pegasus turn, already beginning to speed up. But there was no room behind Snowflake. The huge stallion crashed into the side of the cart with surprising force, shattering the wooden beams that connected the cart to the two pegasi in their traces.

The commotion overhead attracted the attention of the crowd around Bellbray, but by that time the ruined cart was already plummeting toward the frozen river below. Three small fillies were skating directly toward where the cart would hit. Bellbray felt a stone drop into the pit of his stomach.

His eyes darted left and right. Nopony else seemed to have grasped the situation. Cursing under his breath, Bellbray watched the falling cart. He had to do something. His horn flared purple, and with a pop Bellbray found himself standing on the icy river. Behind him, the air reverberated with an enormous crash. The ice trembled and a rush of frigid water surged around Bellbray's hooves, threatening to unbalance him as he turned. The cart had smashed itself against the frozen river, leaving smatterings of debris and an enormous hole in the ice.

The three skating fillies wore panicked looks. They were trying to stop, but the water-soaked ice gave no traction. One of the three, an orange pegasus filly, flitted her wings wildly and threw herself to the side. She careened into a short, white unicorn filly and the pair spun out, crashing into a snowbank at the edge of the river.

The third filly, an earth pony, wasn't so lucky. Her high-pitched scream was silenced when she hit the water and slid beneath the river's frozen crust. Bellbray heard a thump from the ice beneath his hooves. She's caught in the river's current now. Hopelessness gripped Bellbray's chest. If he'd just had more talent with levitation spells...

"Be calm. Magic needs clear thinking." Star Swirl's voice, so ingrained in Bellbray's mind, cut through his fear.

Clear thinking. She was trapped beneath the ice, and with the river's current, it was anypony's guess where the little filly would be now. If Bellbray was going to save her, he'd need a way to find her and a way to bring her out. A memory echoed back to him, of a spell he'd seen the other night: a spell to create ice. Could he use that? Best to test it. A brief glow surrounded Bellbray's horn and a thick lattice of ridges formed on the frozen water beneath him. This magic seemed easy enough. It could work.

But how to find her? Could he make the ice transparent? Was there some sort of locating spell he was forgetting? Think, blast it! You're running out of time!

Like a spark of lightning, one option raced through his mind. It was his second-best talent. It was also sheer idiocy, but that was all he had now. Idiocy and – Bellbray’s horn flashed purple once more – teleportation.

Icy water rushed in around him. The current dragged at him and thundered in his ears. He forced his eyes open. There was hardly any light, but he could just make out a yellowish blur drifting a few yards ahead of him. Fighting the numbing cold, Bellbray focused his mind and a purple glow formed in front of the filly. The water seemed to resist Bellbray's spell, but slowly the glow resolved into a rock-hard net of ice tendrils. The current swept the net along as well, until Bellbray could anchor it to the river's frozen surface.

Even seconds were too long down here. Already, the cold was making Bellbray's mind sluggish, and he yearned for air. That little filly had to be in even worse shape. He fought the current, trying to maneuver himself in her direction. She was almost to the net now. That net didn't need to hold, it just needed to...

His control of the magic lurched as the filly’s body slammed against the icy cords. The net broke its mooring to the surface, but it had served its purpose. The filly was momentarily stopped, and the current swept Bellbray close enough to reach out to her. He stretched, wrapping a hoof around her limp frame. A purple glow enveloped them both—

And they thudded heavily onto the ice above, a bubble of frigid water splashing down around them. Bellbray coughed and then sucked in two lungfulls of precious air. The filly lay beside him, unmoving.

"Somepony!" Bellbray shouted, his voice raw and harsh. "She needs—"

But he didn't have to finish. The crowd of ponies was already descending on them. Thankfully, the townsfolk had the foresight not to rush out onto the frozen river en masse. Only Minuette and a few others ventured onto the ice, and all but Minuette seemed intent on the filly.

Something in the corner of Bellbray's eye tugged at his attention. The filly still wasn't breathing. Maybe there was something more he could do, but... What was it he thought he saw? He looked up toward the ponies on the riverbank, and there at the front of the crowd was that thrice-damned muscle-bound pegasus who had caused this whole mess. Anger boiled up in Bellbray, thick as burning pitch. He took one step away from the filly, then another. Surely somepony would see to her. Surely they'd know some way to... to...

The anger consumed him and he broke into a gallop, pushing past Minuette and bearing down on the pegasus. "You! Sun and Moon curse you, you damned filthy pegasus!" Bellbray thundered, drowning out the murmurs of the crowd.

As Bellbray reached the bank, he leapt forward and crashed into the pegasus with his shoulder. Snowflake – such an idiotic name – went sprawling in the snow, knocking aside other ponies. Watching him collapse brought Bellbray a rush of pleasure. "Nothing changes, does it? You pegasi are as reckless and uncaring as you ever were."

Snowflake, looking dazed and genuinely fearful for all his size, was struggling to his feet. Bellbray's horn blazed purple, and thick ice grew from the ground to bind him in place. "Oh no, you're not running away from me. One of you infernal pegasi is going to get what you deserve, for once. The Sun help you if you've killed that little filly."

The crowd had fallen silent, and the pegasus stallion's eyes were filling with tears. "It was an accident. I never meant to hurt anypony. And... y-you saved her, right?"

The words hardly registered in Bellbray's red-fogged mind. For this, for all the pegasus tribe's crimes, this pony had to pay. The ice around the stallion began constricting.

And then it shattered. Bellbray felt something resisting his magic. A small party of ponies pushed their way through the crowd, led by the gray-maned earth pony mare he had seen in the play. Behind her stood Time Turner and a purple-coated unicorn whose horn glowed with a fierce magenta light. All three wore deep frowns.

"Never have I heard such..." The gray-maned mare seemed to choke on the words. "That anypony would talk like... If you hadn't just saved young Apple Bloom, why, I would..."

Time Turner stepped forward, speaking softly. "He has had a difficult few days, Mayor. You must allow that he isn't entirely himself yet. This was the exhaustion talking. Nothing more." He gave Bellbray an angry look that carried a clear message: say you're sorry and stop acting like some wild mustang.

To his surprise, Bellbray found that he was sorry. The anger was leeching out of him, perhaps cooled by the frigid river-water still wetting his coat. And the mayor had implied the filly wasn't dead. He turned to look, and out on the ice he could see her sitting up beside her orange pegasus friend, surrounded by medical ponies. Bellbray looked at the pegasus, Snowflake, and saw tears in the big stallion's eyes. Sun and Moon, what would Master Star Swirl say if he'd seen me acting like that. Am I such a poor student I can't even follow his teachings about the tribes? A flood of shame rushed through him, and he bowed his head. "My temper got the better of me. I... should not have said those things. Or attacked another pony. For what it may be worth, I apologize."

The mayor gave a disgruntled snort of acceptance, and the doctor nodded to Bellbray. The purple unicorn at the mayor's left shoulder still wore a stony expression, though, and the glow around her horn hadn't faded.

"Well then. Let it not be mentioned again." The mayor huffed, trying to get her composure back. "Yes. Well. Time Turner has told me about your... problem. We are looking for a place where you can stay, but so far—"

A delicate cough echoed from behind the mayor, and a white unicorn stepped forward with the filly's other friend trailing at her heels. "Mayor Mare? I believe perhaps I can offer some assistance in that regard. I didn't see all the events as they transpired, but my sister was just telling me of what happened out on the river."

The glow faded from the purple unicorn's horn, and she turned surprised eyes on the newcomer. "After what he said, Rarity? You can't seriously—"

"Now Twilight, don't be so quick to judge." The white unicorn, Rarity, gave a small flip of her mane. "Whatever else he may have done, he saved one of my sister's best friends from drowning. I think those actions deserve some measure of appreciation. He can stay in my home for the time being." She turned to him. "If you are amenable to that, Mister...?"

"Bellbray," he finished. "Yes. I'm sorry you had to see me like that, Miss Rarity. But if you're still willing to offer me your hospitality, then I will, of course, accept."

The little white filly, Rarity's sister, gave a pleased squeal. For her part, Rarity's mouth curved in a warm smile. "Well isn't that interesting," she said to the purple unicorn. "When he's not yelling at pegasi, he can talk like a proper gentlecolt."