• Published 27th Jan 2013
  • 7,026 Views, 259 Comments

Quizzical Greystone And The Basements Of Doom - JMac



A famous naturalist takes Cheerilee's class on a field trip into the Everfree Forest. This promises adventure, excitement, and other things Quiz really hates.

  • ...
4
 259
 7,026

Chapter 15 Good Dogs/Bad Dogs

Quizzical Greystone And The Basements Of Doom

Chapter 15 Good Dogs/Bad Dogs

Quiz and her companions followed the tunnel until it ended at another room. This room dwarfed the manor basement the ponies had just left. More tunnels entered from all around the walls. Most of them were identical to the one the ponies had just used, though others were just round holes that were barely large enough for a foal to walk upright inside.

“Are these the plants this place is named after?” asked Diamond Tiara. Vines and tree roots covered the ceiling.

“That is not what ‘physical plant’ means,” said Quiz.

“Whatever. This place is gross. There’s green stuff staining the floor.”

“We must be close to the surface,” said Shadow. He watched Quiz critically, but she showed no signs of becoming ill again. She even used her horn for light, and there was none of the green tinge. It glowed a beige, which for Quiz was a healthy glow.

“Wow, the Forest must have completely taken over the top of this building,” said Silver Spoon. “I hope there’s more holding the roof up than just tree roots!”

“We shouldn’t stay here long,” agreed Shadow.

“Oh, no, you can’t be thinking of leaving already!” There was a familiar, obnoxious laugh. “Not when you have finally reached the place we have been herding you to all night. You must first at least take a look at the things we want to show you.”

Quiz turned to the three diamond dogs, who had followed them into the room.

“Hello, again, Mr. Reader.”

#

“Trolls?”

“They prefer natural caverns. Our tunnels are a bit cramped for even the smallest of them.”

“Umber hulks?”

“Those rock-eaters stay deep in the ground. If one does come up to our level we chase it away.”

“Bugbears?”

“Which bugbears?” asked Indy. “The tall, hairy goblin-things or the titan imprisoned in Tartarus?”

Spike made a rude noise. “Like I’m expecting to run into the big guy? He’ll never escape from Tartarus. I was asking about the oversized goblins.”

“They have their own tunnel system. If we ever burrow into each other’s tunnels by accident we close that up and dig elsewhere. That’s just courteous.” Indy shrugged. “Really, Spike, you may trust Indy on this. Our warrens are free of predators. No monsters enjoy tangling with diamond dogs and so we are left alone. Mostly.”

“Oh?” Spike arched the ridge over one eye.

“Well, yes, there is one monster that is too stupid to know better than to nest in our tunnels,” admitted Indy. “But they are rare, and we know how to deal with those pests.”

“And what would that be?”

“Giant centipedes!” yelled the diamond dog who had been scouting ahead. He came sprinting back to the pack, with at least three of the colossal arthropodes charging up the tunnel right behind him.

#

There was another roar, and more frost formed on the vault door, swiftly followed by another mighty crash. The door might have shaken a little bit this time.

“I’m getting there, kids,” called Drago. “Hang on a little longer. I just need a moment to catch my breath. My ice breath, that is.”

“Take your time, Mr. Drago,” answered Pipsqueak. “We’re quite comfortable out here.”

“Gee, I bet the longer he’s trapped the angrier the dragon is going to get,” said Dinky.

Daggett snapped at her. “It does not matter. We will not cooperate with you little ponies!”

“Now, don’t be hasty, Daggett,” said Digger. “We might be willing to cooperate a little.”

Dinky leaned in and spoke softly. She opened her eyes wide, and gave Daggett a tiny, little smile. “We just want to help our friends. Don’t you want to help us help our friends?”

“That sounds reasonable, Daggett,” said Alpha.

Daggett tensed, preparing to bite Dinky on the ear. Then he looked her in the eyes, and Daggett sagged. He couldn’t make himself do it. But he couldn’t give in either. “You will get no help from us.”

“Daggett, what are you thinking?” exclaimed Alpha. “Are you really still trying to complete your mission for Chief Bowser? Really?”

“It isn’t as if Bowser will reward you,” added Digger. “If you somehow succeeded now he would probably punch you on the nose for taking so long. Then he would kick all of us.”

“Shut up, both of you! It is not about Bowser’s orders anymore. It has not been about Bowser’s orders for a long time!”

“Um...there is another thing, Daggett,” said Alpha. “How are we going to get our gems back from the dragon?”

“Oh, I don’t think Drago’s going to give them back,” said Pip. “Not even if you ask nicely.”

“Those were our only gems,” whined Digger. “They were small, and not so shiney, but they were all we had.”

“You agreed to use the gems to bait the dragon into the vault,” insisted Daggett. “You had to know you were donating them for my plan.”

“Yes, about your plan,” said Alpha. “I have found a flaw in it.”

“How do you think I feel? The little ponies have tied us with my own rope. My Own Rope!”

“In all fairness, Mr. Diamond Dog, you were going to use the rope to tie us up,” Valory pointed out.

“I will not give in!” cried Daggett. “I have been through too much to just surrender now. I have been thwarted by that sarcastic pegasus nature lover, and by giant turtles, and clown faced spiders, and forest fires, and we only managed to get underground just before another bunch of pegasuses made it rain on us! Rain that glows! And, after all that, to finally be beaten by a bunch of meddling kids…”

“Twice!” exclaimed Pip.

“Shhh!” hissed Valory. “He feels bad enough as is. And we did run away the first time we beat them.”

Pip pouted. “The grown-ups made us retreat. We were winning!”

“It is too much! Too… much…” Daggett began to cry uncontrollably.

There was a long uncomfortable silence, interrupted by crashing sounds from the vault and some slight rattling noises from the vault door. Finally, Angel went to Daggett and gently put a hoof on his shoulder.

“It’s okay,” she said. “You tried too hard to catch us without hurting us. You would have won, if you’d been willing to hurt us really badly. But you didn’t want to do that.”

This little kindness was enough for Daggett to regain a small semblance of control. He managed to choke out, between sobs, “Very well. What do you want us to do?”

Dinky gave him a grin that lit up the room. “We need you to show us where Bowser has taken our friends.”

#

Cheerilee’s class made good progress with the wagons. Little ponies are deceptively strong, even young ones, and they are shaped perfectly for draft work in almost exactly the same way that diamond dogs aren’t.

They were hitched in teams of two, and Sweetie Belle was paired with Scootaloo. She was not concentrating on her work.

“I wish Quiz would send me a Note,” she whined. “I’m so worried about her.”

“Hay, that Reader character hasn’t brought her back,” answered Scootaloo. “So he hasn’t caught her, right? Think about it. His job is to out-smart Quiz! I almost feel sorry for him.”

This got a giggle out of Sweetie Belle, but the mirth was short lived. Lines of worry almost immediately furrowed her brow again. “I’m just so frightened for her…”

Scootaloo gave up on trying to reassure her, and tried to change the subject instead. “Is something on our cart snoring? Or is that growling?”

“Let’s hope it’s snoring,” answered Sweetie Belle. “And let’s try not to wake it...ugh!”

One of the wagon wheels struck something and stopped them, and the two fillies jerked hard against their harnesses. Behind them, there were protests from the other foals, as they struggled to stop before hitting the wagons ahead of them.

There was a snarl from something under the covers on Scootaloo and Sweetie’s cart. Then there was a shuffling sound, as whatever it was apparently rolled over and resumed what was probably snoring.

“Oh, oh, let me help, let me help!” cried a diamond dog, running up to them. He dove under the wagon. A moment later he emerged, rolling a large rock with his nose.

“I got it, I got it. It’s a big rock, but I got it.” The dog stood, and kicked the rock aside. “Rocks are fun to play with, but not so good for wheels. You can start again now. I got it.”

“Um… thanks?” Scootaloo, leaned into her harness and they were underway again.

The diamond dog trotted along beside them. “Hi! My name’s Seaver. What are your names?”

The little diamond dog’s enthusiasm was almost overwhelming. His goofy grin was the first genuinely friendly thing the ponies had seen from one of the dogs. Scootaloo didn’t know what to make of him, and answered warily.

“You can call me Scoot, I guess. And this is Belle.”

“Those are nice names. My name’s Seaver!” He seemed to actually vibrate with joy, apparently just from being spoken to.

“Um… Hi?”

“Hi!!!” Then Seaver cocked his head, and stared at the two ponies. “Hey, you don’t look like you’re having fun. Aren’t you having fun? I thought ponies like pulling carts and stuff.”

“Yeah, maybe, if it’s our choice,” grumbled Scootaloo. “You guys didn’t give us any choice. You didn’t even say ‘please.’”

“Oh.” Seaver hung his head. “I’m sorry. But it’ll be all over soon. Chief Bowser says as soon as we make our delivery he’s all done with you. We’re almost there.”

“It’d be all over now if you’d let us go,” said Scootaloo, under her breath.

“What was that?”

“Never mind. They’d never let you do that. But what happens after Bowser’s all done with us?”

Seaver cocked his head again, then cocked it the other way. “I don’t understand the question.”

Scootaloo rolled her eyes. “Figures.”

“Don’t pick on him, Scoot,” said Sweetie Belle. “Seaver, excuse me for asking, but why are you with Bowser’s gang? You seem kind of nice.”

Seaver’s face lit up, and he clapped his paws happily. “Gee thanks! I try to be a good dog, I really, really do!”

“Then why are you with Bowser?” repeated Sweetie.

“Oh, Chief Bowser is the Chief, so doing what he tells me must be the right thing, right?” The fillies noticed Seaver’s tail for the first time. He was wagging it so fast it blurred. “Oh, oh, good story. Seaver joined Chief Bowser when, one day, the Chief pointed to me and said, ‘You, pick up that stack of nets and follow us.’ I’ve been carrying things to the old tunnels for the Chief ever since. Isn’t that cool? Chief Bowser picked me!”

Scootaloo and Sweetie exchanged a look. It seemed that the only tactful response was silence.

A much larger diamond dog approached, and swatted Seaver hard on the back of the head. “Seaver, what were you told about talking to the ponies?”

Seaver cringed. “You said not to do it, Riff Raff.”

“And what are you doing?” growled Riff Raff.

“Oh, I was just talking to these nice ponies… oh. Oh, I see. Sorry.”

Riff Raff glared at Seaver. “Go to the end of the line. The littlest ponies are falling behind, push their wagon until they catch up. And do not talk to them!”

"Yes, Riff Raff. Yes, Sir.” Seaver hurried away.

Riff Raff leaned over Scootaloo and Sweetie. He did not have a goofy grin, and his tail was most decidedly not wagging. “Seaver is stupid, but he is useful when he is kept busy. Most of the rest of the pack are not stupid. We know that being a ‘good dog’ like that weakling Indy is not how you earn many, many gems. Do not try to talk any of us into letting you go. Do not think about it. You could get your ears bitten off that way. Just pull your wagon.”

The two fillies pushed a little harder against their harnesses.

#

“Form a circle, and point your torches outward,” ordered Indy. “Every dog light your torch. You all know the drill.”

They did indeed. The diamond dogs were already getting into position before Indy spoke.

The centipedes stopped just out of the reach of any extended torch, though the dogs poked their torches at them anyway. They were gigantic; twice the width of the largest diamond dog, and so long that the torch light did not reveal their total length. Any one of them could easily snatch up a diamond dog and carry him away in their mandibles.

“‘Toven, move to the center, keep Spike safe,” cried Indy.

“Hey, I’m good,” said Spike. He spat out a little gout of green flame.

“And all of you, remember to look up. The centipedes can strike from the ceiling… yipe!”

A fourth centipede reached down from the tunnel roof and grabbed Indy. It ran away with him, while still clinging from the ceiling.

‘Toven, Spike, and several of the dogs gave chase.

#

“To begin, Quizzical, tell me what a ‘physical plant’ is,” demanded Reader. “I suspect you know.”

Quiz shrugged. “It is a central location that provides maintenance and utilities to several buildings. This place specialized in steam heating, I think.”

Reader frowned. “I was expecting a less… mundane answer.”

“Of course you were, Mr. Reader.”

“You aren’t telling me all you know,” snapped Reader. He pointed to an inscription over the tunnel they had all entered through. “‘Gold Street and Environs’? What is that?”

“That is a steam tunnel,” answered Quiz. “They are all labeled with the locations they served. The steam piped through that one heated the homes of wealthy ponies who lived on Gold street.”

Reader looked at Quiz as if she had grown a second head. “That cannot be all there is to it. What does this inscription mean?” Reader pointed to one of the small round openings.

“‘Cold Inlet’? I believe there was once a pipe running through there that brought cold water to the boilers.”

Reader pointed again. “And this one?”

“‘Condenser Overflow’? I am unfamiliar with the engineering, but I would guess when usage was low some steam was condensed and the water flowed to a containment tank down a pipe that used to be there.”

“And this one?” Reader was sounding increasingly desperate.

“‘Overflow Return’? That was probably for condensed water to flow back to the boiler when needed.”

Scud scratched his head. “I don’t understand a thing she’s saying.”

“That is because she is lying!” yelled Reader. “You are making all this up. Quizzical Greystone! These are extraordinary things. Stop trying to make them all sound ordinary! There are clues to the Lost City’s secrets here, and you will share them with me now, if you value your health, and the safety of your friends!”

“Actually, Reader, Quizzie doesn’t have to tell you anything,” said Shadow. “You don’t have us trapped you know. There are a lot of exits from this room.”

“Yes, and most of the tunnels have collapsed, or dead end, or have locked doors. You do not know which are clear. We do, we have been exploring here for a long time. Flee from us now and you most likely will not get far.”

“Maybe I feel lucky.” Shadow grinned.

While Reader and Shadow spoke, Quiz whispered to Diamond Tiara. “I have a plan, and Shadow will object as it places me at some peril. So I am asking for your help instead, Diamond.”

Diamond raised an eyebrow and smirked. “Hmmm? You have me fascinated. Please continue.”

“I need some time alone with Mr. Reader. Could you lead the other two dogs away from us?”

“I have an idea of how to do that, yeah. Sounds like fun.”

“Good. Then take your cue from me, it should be obvious.” Quiz then spoke loudly. “Very well, Mr. Reader. I will tell you everything I know. I promise it will be enlightening. But before I will tell you anything you must first catch me.”

Quiz then ran, dodged around Reader, and galloped back up the tunnel they had just come down.

#

“We cannot exactly tell you where your friends are,” squeaked Alpha.

Pip pressed the tip of his stick against Alpha’s nose. “Don’t try to weasel out of this, you! You said you’d cooperate.”

“What was that, kids?” called Derpy. “Are the diamond dogs causing trouble? They better not be causing any trouble!”

“No, Momma,” answered Dinky. “They’re no trouble at all.”

“Let me finish, let me finish,” protested Alpha. “We can’t tell you exactly where they are because we don’t know. But we do know where they are going.”

“They should be there soon,” added Digger. “They have to be there to meet Bowser’s customer by moon set.”

“So, you’ll tell us how to get there?” asked Dinky.

“No, that won’t work,” said Daggett.

Pip aimed his stick at Daggett’s throat. “Careful, Dog. You don’t want to give us any answers we don’t like!”

“Pip, you need to calm down a little,” said Valory. “And stop abusing the prisoners.”

“I will explain, if you’ll let me,” growled Daggett. “There are no good tunnels from here, this building is not connected to any of them. You will have to go to the surface, and that makes giving you directions complicated.”

“Why is that complicated?” asked Angel.

“The Forest has completely reclaimed the city. There is nothing but ruins and rubble fields and trees. A very, very, very dense forest of trees. We cannot exactly give you street directions.”

“We are close to where all the water tunnels meet. We could send them there,” suggested Alpha. “The tunnels are easy to follow from there.”

“The stairs are gone,” said Daggett. “The foals would have to shimmy down vines to reach the tunnels.”

“That sounds like fun,” said Pip.

“It’s much less fun than it sounds,” said Daggett.

“We could send them to Darkstone Center,” offered Digger. “That has tunnels that connect to everything.”

“That’s on the other side of town, how is trying to send them there an improvement?” snapped Daggett.

“Um…. It isn’t,” admitted Digger.

“Daggett is right,” said Alpha. “The only way to get there is on the surface. Without help, you kids will be lost in the Forest in about five minutes.”

“We might not get lost,” said Angel. “We don’t have Dr. Stalker leading us anymore.”

“What was that?” called Shady. “I heard my name. Do you need something, children?”

“No, Shady,” answered Angel. “Never mind.”

“Stop making excuses!” demanded Pip. “We beat you, so you have to help us.” He raised his stick for emphasis, but the gesture was ruined when he lost his grip and the stick went flying off into a corner.

“Pip, really, take a deep breath and settle down,” said Dinky.

“We are not making excuses, we are explaining things,” protested Daggett. “We cannot tell you how to get to your friends…”

“But you said you would!” cried Pip.

“... we will have to guide you there personally,” Daggett finished.

“Oh.”

While the foals considered this, Drago crashed against the vault door once again. The effect on the door was minute. “Wow, I’m going to need a quick energy snack.” They could hear the sound of something crunching.

“Is that dragon eating our gems?” asked Alpha. “That dragon is eating our gems!”

“Oh, shut up,” said Daggett. “So, kids, are you ready to go? We can get underway as soon as you untie us.”

“Muffin, did that mangy mutt say something about getting untied?” shouted Derpy. “Don’t you let them get away with that! And don’t go anywhere. Promise me you’ll stay put until we get out.”

“Yes, Momma, we promise,” called Dinky. Then she blanched with shock. “Oh, my gosh, I just lied to my mother!”

The foals reacted with stunned silence. Angel spoke first. “We’re planning to be very bad, aren’t we?”

“Yeah, we’re all gonna get grounded,” said Pip. “But it will be worth it. We’re going to rescue our friends and save the day!”

“I don’t think I can do this,” said Angel. “I’ve never disobeyed an adult like this…”

“Seriously?” exclaimed Daggett. “You are more worried about being bad children than you are about confronting Bowser and his pack?!”

“Hush, Daggett,” chidded Digger. “Let the kids work out their issues.”

“We’re all good kids, Angel,” said Valory. “It goes against my nature, too. But we’re going to misbehave. It’s for a good cause.”

“How are you going to explain this to your parents? How am I going to explain this to the Princesses?!” cried Angel. “And this is crazy! We have to be completely goonie to do this.”

“Yep,” said Pip. “And we’re still going to do it. And I hope you’ll come along, because we’ve been through everything together and we should stick together. And you’ve been part of everything. You may go home to the Palace in Canterlot, but tonight you are just as goonie as the rest of us.”

Angel considered Pip’s words quietly. Finally, she said softly. “Okay. I’m sticking with you guys. Ambush Raiders, huzzah.”

This called for a cheer. Unfortunately, they couldn’t without alerting the adults that something was up, so that would have to wait until later.

“Oh, good, that’s settled,” grumbled Daggett. “We can get underway, and get this over with. Finally. You just have to untie us.”

“Yeah, about that,” said Dinky. “I’m afraid we are going to have to make one more imposition on you guys.”

#

Reader ran after Quiz. Scud and Corso moved to follow, but Diamond Tiara stepped into their path.

“Not so fast, buster!”

Corso sneered, “Get out of the way, little brat, or you’ll get hurt!”

“I don’t thinks so,” Diamond sneered back. Then she kicked Corso on the shin.

“Ouch! Why you little…” Before Corso could finish Diamond kicked him on the other shin.

“Owww! You will pay for that! I will tear your ears off and force you to eat them!”

“You can try,” laughed Diamond. She ran, and hopped into the opening labeled ‘Condenser Overflow.’ She shouted to the other ponies, “Come on, guys! This way.”

“Di, we have to follow Quizzie!” called Shadow.

“No, we have to run the other way! Come on! Oh, and try to kick them again as you run by.”

Shadow didn’t like the idea, but it sounded as if Diamond knew what she was doing. Silver spoon was already right behind Diamond, so Shadow ran to join them. He managed to step on Corso’s foot as he slipped past.

Corso charged after them.

“Corso, we have to follow Reader!” called Scud.

“No!” Corso yelled back. “I will catch the little pink monster. Then I will rip off her tail and choke her with it!”

He climbed into the opening. After a moment, Scud shrugged, and climbed in after him.

“Di, what are we doing?” asked Shadow. He had to shout to be heard over the threats Corso was screaming.

“Using the only opening that we know has a way out,” Diamond answered. “You heard Quiz. The overflow pipe and the overflow return pipe both had to end in the same place, right?”

“So, we’re going to end up in a big water tank, and drown?” cried Silver.

They did soon end up in a big water tank, but it was empty. They got there well ahead of the diamond dogs, who could barely fit into the opening, and had to crawl along on their bellies. Shadow immediately went to the overflow return to exit, but the fillies just stood watching the other opening. They were grinning.

“Girls? What are you doing?”

“When his he pops his head out it’ll be on just the right level,” said Silver. “Move number eight?”

Diamond nodded, and laughed. “That will be perfect.”

The fillies took their places on opposite sides of the opening. Eventually, Corso came thundering to the end and began to pull himself out of the hole. He screamed at Diamond, “You are doomed now, bratty pony! I will skin you and make a hat from your pelt, and mail the rest of you to your mother!”

With just a nod to each other, the fillies skipped, jumped, hopped, pirouetted, then leapt together, spinning in mid leap. Their rear hooves would have met perfectly, had not Corso’s head been in the way.

Corso’s eyes crossed, then closed, and he went limp. His tongue hung out of his mouth, and he began to drool.

They could hear Scud’s muffled cries. “Corso? Why have you stopped? Move out of the way. I can’t back out without getting stuck. Corso, please move!”

Shadow stared. “How did you do that?”

“Dance class,” said Diamond. “Four years of ballet.”

“Two years of modern dance, two years of body movement…”

“Three years of cheerleading, a year of tap…”

“And almost a week of self defense, before we were kicked out.” Silver giggled.

“That was a misunderstanding,” groused Diamond. “Our jerky instructor thought we were ‘disrespecting the martial arts’ or some such nonsense.”

Shadow opened his mouth to speak, but couldn’t manage to say a single word.

“Shouldn’t we catch up with Quiz?” asked Silver.

“Yeah,” agreed Diamond. “She’s probably done with Reader by now.”

#

“Let Indy go, you stupid bug!”

Half of Indy’s pack held off the three centipedes on the floor, while the other half pursued the centipede which was carrying Indy away.

“We could easily force it to drop Indy,” said ‘Toven, waving his torch in frustration. “If we could just catch up.”

But the diamond dogs failed to gain any ground, and might have been falling a little behind.

“Indy needs fire to fight the monster, but he has dropped his torch.”

“I have an idea, and it’s just crazy enough to work,” said Spike. He shouted down the tunnel, “Indy, can you get a hand free?”

“Indy needs all four limbs to hold the stupid bug’s mandibles open! Indy wants very, very badly to keep the stupid bug’s mandibles open!”

“Try bracing your shoulder against one,” suggested Spike.

“Err!” There were more inarticulate exclamations, as Indy worked to shift position. “Argh! Yes, Indy has a paw free now. But it does no good. Indy cannot punch the stupid bug, or poke it in the eye. The angle is all wrong!”

“No, that’s good,” called Spike. “Now you can catch me!”

“What?!”

“‘Toven, throw me to Indy,” ordered Spike.

“What?!!”

“I want you to fling me!”

“That is crazy!”

Spike nodded. “I know. I just said so. Now, hurry up before I lose my nerve.”

‘Toven cupped Spike in one huge paw, and cocked his arm. Then he stopped. “It is not an easy throw. Should I put a little spiral on Spike?”

“Oh, gee, only if you want me to land dizzy and sick to my stomach! Just throw me.”

“Very well. Indy, here comes Spike. Please don’t drop him.”

“Right! Please don’t drop meeeeeeeeee!”

It was a very difficult shot, against a swiftly moving target and with an irregularly balance projectile that was definitely never meant to be thrown. ‘Thoven hit Indy perfectly on his outstretched paw.

Indy bobbled the catch. Spike bounced off his palm. Then again. Then a third time. Finally, Indy managed to draw Spike in and hold him securely against his chest.

“Now, Spike, use your fire breath! Now!” Indy tried to aim Spike at the centipede’s face.

“Okay. Um… Here’s… I mean, this is… er, in your...dang it! I had a great action hero one-liner all picked out, and now I forgot it!”

“Spike! The fire! Please!”

“Alright, fine.” Green fire wreathed the centipede’s head. It shrieked, or as close to a shriek as a centipede is capable, dropped Indy and Spike, and fled.

Spike landed safely in Indy’s lap. Indy hit the floor considerably harder.

“That… that… that…” gasped Indy. The other dogs soon arrived to help him to his feet, and he was soon able to catch his breath. “That was crazy! Spike is insane. Extraordinary, but insane.”

“Hey, anything for a bud,” said Spike. “But, maybe we shouldn’t tell anyone we did that. I don’t think I want to make it a habit.”

#

“This is humiliating!” complained Daggett. “Leashed! And with my own rope.”

As the three diamond dogs led the little ponies through the Forest, they in turn were being led with ropes tied around their necks.

“I’m sorry, Mr, Daggett, but you know we can’t quite trust you yet,” said Pip. “The loops are comfortable, aren’t they? The knots won’t get tight unless you try to run.”

“Leashed!” repeated Daggett. “What next? Will you want us to play fetch?”

“Don’t think of yourselves as pets,” said Valory. “You’re our prisoners. Since you were defeated fair and square there isn’t any dishonor in that.”

“I am not comforted.”

It was slow going, with much of the rubble from the collapsed buildings too difficult for the small ponies to climb over. Even where there had once been paved streets the undergrowth was thick, and the trees grew close together. It was a struggle to keep the ropes from tangling.

“Daggett, look.” Digger had found a rusted iron grate, half covered by tree roots. “If we could get to the tunnels under here things would go much more smoothly.”

The diamond dogs tried to remove the grate, but it would not budge. “Would it help if we hitched the ponies to it and had them pull?” asked Alpha.

“Then we would see how they like it,” grumbled Daggett, under his breath. Then aloud he said “That would not make any difference. This thing has fused with the trees. It isn’t going anywhere.”

Suddenly, Digger shushed them. He cocked his head, and one ear twitched. “I hear voices.”

#

Quiz led Reader back to the cellar of the Gaze Manor. He nearly caught her, as she had trouble climbing out of the steam tunnel with no one to give her a boost. But Quiz made it. She went to one corner, and turned to face Reader.

“No more games, Quizzical! Tell me what I want to know!”

“I apologize, Mr. Reader, but I cannot tell you that. Not honestly. I will instead tell you the truth.”

“I said no more games! Tell me now!”

“Yes, Mr. Reader. Once I have caught my breath.” Quiz retreated a step, and put one rear hoof on the wooden well cover. The wood creaked. “Your problem is a basic misunderstanding of how cities die. You hear the phrase ‘lost city’ and your imagination tells you that the inhabitants must have mysteriously vanished. Nothing could be further from the truth.”

“I don’t understand. What happened here, then?”

“The residents moved away,” said Quiz. “The city had grown here because the Royal Pony Sisters built their castle here. Ponies came to serve them, and to work in the government. When Princess Celestia abandoned the castle and moved the capital to Canterlot most ponies moved there as well. Others stayed a while longer. None of this happened overnight. You imagine everypony suddenly fled, but that is a ridiculous thing to imagine. Leaving the city was orderly. They moved away just as ponies do when moving to a new home.”

“But this is a Lost City!” Reader was practically foaming at the mouth. “It is filled with secrets, with mysteries…”

“Not really,” said Quiz. “The ponies who lived here were no different than ponies living in any city. Actually, aside from being completely empty, this city is much like all the other cities in Equestria.”

“But, we have been hunting for so long! There has to be something worth finding!”

Quiz shook her head. “That is also a ridiculous thing to imagine. Everypony packed their belongings and took them to their new homes. Look around, Mr. Reader. They took the pipes from their plumbing. There was an iron grate over that steam tunnel, the Gaze family must have taken it for scrap metal generations ago. The Everfree Forest has destroyed all that was on the surface, but the stone foundations survive. That is all you have found. The basements. If you keep looking perhaps you will find a carton of old Hearth’s Warming decorations, or a box of clothes that no longer fit some family’s foals. But that is all you will find.”

“No!” Foam really was dribbling from the corner of Reader’s mouth. “You’re lying! Stop lying to me! We found a lost city, now we get find it’s treasures!”

Reader advanced on Quiz, and Quiz retreated. As she walked backwards over the well cover the wood groaned and sagged.

“I did warn you that I could not tell you what you wanted to hear, Mr. Reader. It was foolish of you to expect otherwise.”

Quiz continued to retreat from Reader. She was now on solid floor again, but she was backed tightly into the corner. Reader had her trapped.

“Do not insult me and stop toying with me, Quizzical Greystone!” Reader held his arms up, fists clenched. “Do not tell me I have been searching for nothing! I can’t have been searching for nothing!”

“Actually, you could,” said Quiz. “Because you are an idiot.”

“How dare you!” Reader charged.

He took one step onto the well cover, and with a crack he disappeared.

There was a splash from far below.

“What a depressingly stupid dog,” said Diamond, from the steam tunnel opening.

Quiz stepped carefully around the new hole in the floor. “How long have you been listening?”

“Long enough to figure out your plan,” said Shadow. “And long enough to hear the bad news. So, no hidden temples? No golden idols?”

“No forgotten libraries?” asked Silver.

“No fabulous treasure hoards?” Diamond sounded heartbroken.

Quiz shook her head. “But, on the positive side, it is unlikely there are any traps with rolling boulders.”

“Holy… what is that stink?” exclaimed Diamond.

Quiz wrinkled her nose. “Oh, dear. What I thought was a well appears to be a septic tank. Something has preserved its foulness for all these years, and Mr. Reader has broken through its crust.”

They hurried to leave as the odor rose from the hole. But they paused long enough to relock the door.