• Published 18th Jan 2013
  • 3,284 Views, 277 Comments

Grounded - MissytheAngle



A secret hidden for five years is at last brought to light.

  • ...
3
 277
 3,284

Ten

Grounded

Ten

The sky still beamed down gentle darkness onto Equestria when the train arrived. It was very early when the train arrived in Ponyville, well past midnight. The five ponies exited the train, and Rainbow Dash sucked in a boatload of air. It was as if being back made her realize what she had done, and it tossed off so much stress from that morning when she first got on the train.

Not to mention that she just felt a bit better. Maybe it was the fact that she did the best thing for Cobalt, and not just herself. The more she thought about it, the more tired she got thinking of it. She just did what she felt needed to be done, that was all, through a bit of pushing from Rarity.

When Cortland jumped off, he glanced around, taking in the new scenery. However, he didn't seem too interested in it for now. He looked rather bored, slowly turning his head left and right. He stopped his searching when he tilted his head his cousin's way. “You don't mind me staying at your place for the next few days, do you, cous’?”

Applejack's ears perked up, snapping away any attempts to doze off. “Ah brought a bit of money with me, but it'd just be easier to get a place to stay with you guys, ah'd think.”

Applejack grinned at him. “Sure! Ah'm sure we can find a space for ya.”

“Ah'll sleep on the floor, if ah have to. Ah'd hate to just go back so late at this point,” he grumbled to himself, letting out a huge yawn. “Night, ya'll.”

They bid each other good-night and were about to separate when Cortland stopped in Rainbow Dash's path. “By the way.” He gestured her aside. Applejack stopped, waiting for her cousin.

Rainbow gave him a questioning gaze. “Yeah?” She held a tight embrace on Cobalt, who was constantly shifting from consciousness to being asleep, his eyelids threatening to shut. At his mother's touch, his eyes snapped open.

“Just saying, maybe you can cut Applejack some slack. She told me... well, that doesn't matter. But she did say that she was a bit rough on you when you came back here, apparently.”

“What did she tell you about?” Rainbow almost shouted. Cobalt whined at the loud noise. Rainbow Dash just sighed, giving her son a quick apology. She glanced over at Applejack, who was waiting beside Pinkie a few feet away.

Applejack gave her a crooked smile, proving she listened into their conversation, as well . Her nostrils flared, but she otherwise let it go. Cortland didn't seem so bothered by it, anyway.

“Enough,” he answered, taking a sudden interest on the ground. Looking back up, the stallion added, “But ah just wanted to let you know, ah'm certain she means well. She may be rough on you, but she probably has her reasons.”

She gave him a bemused look, but rather than question why the hell he was bringing this up, she said, “Alright. Sure.”

Cortland smiled at her. She kept note of this and wondered what in Equestria they talked about concerning her, as well as . “Great. Ah'll, uh, see you later. And night to you, too, Cobalt.” His smile became strained at Rainbow Dash and Cobalt, who dangled in her grasp as she floated a few feet in the air.

She nodded at him. Cortland looked like he wanted to say something, but after a moment, he just walked away with Applejack. Once they disappeared from her view, she groaned, knowing that she would be seeing Cortland a lot more, now that he was here, as would Cobalt. Hopefully, it wouldn't make it any worse for her: hopefully, he wouldn't want to keep Cobalt back at the farm even more, or even worse, Cobalt wouldn't want to...

Her heart pounded as the idea struck her. Looking down at her son, she couldn’t imagine him out of her grasp. But still... “Hey, kid.”

“Yeah?” was the barely murmured response from her son.

“Promise you'll always stick with me, that you'll stay with me, 'till the end, right?” she asked, a bit of a strain in her voice. It was strange, asking of this promise, especially when he was so tired and barely understood what she meant. But she just wanted him to say it.

“Sure, mommy... wanna fly in fluffy clouds...” was all Cobalt muttered before his eyelids fell over his eyes for the rest of the night. He snored so lightly, he sounded like a tiny whistle.

She smiled and planted a kiss on his forehead. Pinkie smiled at her, a mischievous smile, at that. Rainbow Dash's cheeks suddenly felt like they were on fire.

“What?” she demanded in a whisper, hoping her glower would redeem herself a bit.

“Oh, nothing, Rainbow! I'll see you two tomorrow!” Pinkie replied with a giggle, skipping off to Sugarcube Corner. Rainbow was the last to leave, flying back home with another yawn. It had been a huge day, and it went without saying that she needed some rest.

***

Two days after their return to Ponyville, in which Cobalt constantly shifted between with Rainbow Dash and spending time with Cortland (though with a careful eye in the sky every once in a while from Dash), Cobalt finally asked to have some time not just with one or the other, but with both at once. She had no idea why, but when he flashed those puppy dog eyes, she had nothing else to say but yes.

If there was one thing Cobalt liked about Ponyville asfare that Manehattan did not have, it was the luscious park. They grabbed Cortland from the farm and brought him over there for a simple walk.

Cobalt and his parents strolled along the walkway for a good few minutes in silence. Rainbow and Cortland took in the perfect, sunny day, only giving sideways glances every once in a while at one another. For Rainbow Dash, it couldn't have been any more awkward. Only Cobalt was oblivious to this, enjoying the area around them. How it looked so simple, yet so nice. As much as Rainbow Dash wanted to enjoy it, she just couldn't. Not when the air was so awkwardly tense.

“So... what's up?” Rainbow started as he sat down on a bench while she perched lazily in a tree above the two boys.

Cortland looked at her for a moment, then looked away. “Nothing much. You?”

“Eh, same.” Another minute of silence passed. Rainbow Dash blew a few leaves from her face as they fell down on her.

“Weather's nice,” Cortland complimented.

“I made sure it would, since Cobalt wanted to hang out today,” she explained in a plain, bored tone. It was supposed to be fine out that day anyway, with just a few clouds and a small possibility of a light drizzle. With the pulling of a few strings, though, she was able to get a one hundred percent clear day.

Cortland nodded absentmindedly. “That was nice.”

She shrugged, but said nothing. If he didn't catch her gesture, that was his own problem. She didn't care. Besides, Dash just wanted to end the conversation as quick as possible, regretting that she even started it.

It was hard just to talk. Only Cobalt didn't see that, which made it a bit worse. She decided to look around at the park. Many ponies had been, were, and were going to be at the park to enjoy the crisp, almost-end-of-spring day. A few ponies caught her eye, but one in particular made her stop, nearly tumbling out from the branch she was perched on.

A pair of light purple eyes met Rainbow Dash's rose ones, and they locked for the longest time. Her eyes couldn't let go as a sinking feeling cascaded down into her chest. That face was all too familiar.

"I, uh, I'll be right back," she stuttered, ignoring Cortland's confused look. She flew away, knowing he and Cobalt would be fine together, and toward the onlooker half a mile away.

She slowed down when the younger Pegasus began to fly, however cautiously, to her as well. They looked away from each other for a moment, only to realize that someone had to say something eventually.

"Hey, Rainbow Dash," the orange Pegasus spoke first with a nervous smile.

"Scootaloo, uh... hey," she greeted back, wanting to smack herself. There was a pause, one she wondered if she needed to fill . "So, umm, listen, squirt—"

"Can you... not call me that? I'm not a kid anymore," Scootaloo interrupted a bit forcefully, though. She had a big interest in her hooves as they kicked the grass under them. She bit her lip during the silent moment, only she was the one that broke it this time, saying, "Besides, you don't have to say anything. It's no big deal.”

Rainbow Dash stared at her. The look on Scootaloo's face said far more than words ever could. Her forehooves crossed over her chest, she asked, “What is—or, what isn't?”

Scootaloo licked her lips, reluctant to answer. “That you left Ponyville—that... that my sister left me behind,” she confessed through shut eyes. If tears started to fall, she'd never hear the end of it.

Worst... guilt trip... ever! Rainbow Dash thought, and she would groan if Scootaloo wasn't looking so distressed. She and Scootaloo weren’t literally sisters, but they had a good connection until she left. How badly was it broken now? Staring at the mare's face, it was hard to tell.

She sighed as lightly as possible. “Look, Scootaloo, I've had this conversation more times than me and my friends saved Equestria. I left 'cause I... had a lot going on, so I moved away for a bit to get away from everything.”

“Without telling me?” Scootaloo cried out, her voice cracking and her head snapping up.

Rainbow Dash recoiled, but knew, one way or another, this had to be finished quickly. She was getting tired of these repetitive conversations, like she was living in a broken record. “Believe me, it was pretty last minute,” she said. She turned away a minute, wondering what else to say at this point. A few thing came to mind, but she didn’t like saying any of them.

However, seeing the heartbroken face of someone who idolized her, who made her feel even more awesome than she already did, made her think a quick one wouldn't hurt. “Alright, Scoots. I know you're upset, but I dunno know what to tell you. I... I'm sorry, 'kay?” she added so abruptly, she wondered if Scootaloo even heard that. Oh god, she wouldn't have to say it again, did she?

Scootaloo did not respond, only letting out a cool, low sigh. If looks could kill, her sad one would send Dash to her grave before she had the chance to respond. Her big eyes looked away, on the verge of tears. Rainbow Dash fell back again, not sure what she had done wrong this time.

“Bu-I said I'm sorry!” Rainbow exclaimed. She didn't get it. Didn't saying sorry usually solve problems in the end? What was the problem now?

“I just want to know something,” said Scootaloo, now speaking in a low tone. She sounded older than she really was, which very much caught Rainbow Dash's attention.

“Yeah?”

The younger Pegasus's light purple eyes never looked so solemn, so old. Not too old, but maybe only a few years younger than Rainbow Dash herself. She wanted this answer a lot. “Why?”

It was so vague, yet so obvious. That was what sucked the most. “Damn,” Dash muttered.

“What?” she asked, unable to catch what she said.

“Nothing!” Rainbow said in a hurry. She looked over her shoulder, where Cortland and Cobalt were. Cortland lay on the bench, looking like he was attempting to enjoy the scenery, while Cobalt was standing on a tree stump, keeping his eyes on a few small creatures that would pass by.

An idea struck her. A small smile crept on her face. “Just come with me. I wanna show you someth—I mean, someone,” Rainbow said with a grin that Scootaloo didn't get.

Scootaloo followed her anyway, mostly keeping at a fast trot. Rainbow Dash almost felt bad; before, she had seen her fly perfectly fine. And yet she could only do it for a bit at a time. She remembered how she helped her fly while out camping, just a bit. That was the day they really connected. She smiled at the memory as she flew, only to stop a few feet away from Cortland and Cobalt.

“I just need to borrow him for a bit. You don't mind, right?” she joked, already taking Cobalt in her grasp and flying away from Cortland before he could respond.

Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash and Cobalt Streak met half way. The former stopped and looked as confused as Dash expected. She rose a hoof and said in a whisper, “Hi.”

Cobalt smiled ear-to-ear, waving back at her.

“Scootaloo, I'd like ya to meet Cobalt. Cobalt, this is, uh...” She thought long and hard about it. Then she added, a bit slowly, “Your... aunt.”

Scootaloo's eyebrows rose up at her, quivering as she processed this. Her mouth quivered, as well, but it curved into a wide smile soon after. Scootaloo caught her in a huge hug around the waist. Rainbow Dash, though stiff at first, wrapped a wing around the filly.

“You're not mad anymore, are you?” she asked, her voice cracking.

Embraced in Rainbow's blue fur, she pondered, making She sighed. “No. I wasn't mad. I... I... just promise me you won't leave for a long time. Promise?”

Rainbow Dash chuckled under her breath. “Sure, why not?” Was that a lie or the truth? Even she couldn't figure that out. But it was certainly an option, for her friends' and Scootaloo's sake. She smiled to herself, for some reason finding this warm embrace calming.

Cobalt, sat there on his haunches, blinking at the two. His mother saw this, and rolling her eyes, stretched out one wing towards him.

Cobalt understood enough and jumped in, and the three tumbled onto the ground with the unexpected attack. Cobalt fell on his back, and he stayed there, looking at the sky. Not too far away, Rainbow Dash saw Cortland watching them, a tiny grin on his face. He walked away before she could say anything.

Dash didn't stop him, and Scootaloo distracted her, anyway. She had a giddy, childish grin on her face. “So, since he doesn't have a Cutie Mark, maybe he can join the Cutie Mark Crusaders!” She pumped up her hooves.

“But didn't you guys get your Cutie Marks yet...?” She knew Scootaloo got hers. What if the other two didn't?

Scootaloo giggled. “Yeah, we all did. But that doesn't mean we can't keep it going! He can start a new generation of the Cutie Mark Crusaders! What do you say, Cobalt?

“Cutie Mark what?” Cobalt asked, his jaw slack at the word.

Scootaloo burst into laughter. “Don't worry; we'll explain everything, right, Rainbow Dash?” she asked in that fangirl-ish voice, with a hint of a crack, that Rainbow Dash remembered before.

Dash groaned, also remembering exactly what kinds of things the Cutie Mark Crusaders did. Celestia knows what else she missed while she was gone.

Author's Note:

I wasn't originally going to put Scoots in here, but then I thought, "Why not?" :D

And these constant conversations about them wondering why she left? They're done for; I swear to Celestia! It only took ten chapters to get them over with... goddamn.