• Published 18th Jan 2013
  • 3,283 Views, 277 Comments

Grounded - MissytheAngle



A secret hidden for five years is at last brought to light.

  • ...
3
 277
 3,283

Four

Grounded
Four

Though she could have gone much faster, Rainbow knew the limits of speed when having somepony alongside her. With this in mind, she floated through the air in a more comfortable speed for Cobalt while still absorbing that awesome feeling of soaring through the air.

She only took a five second stop at her house to literally throw the two suitcases of their stuff from Manehattan through the window. Since it sounded like nothing got broken, and the suitcases didn’t cascade through the clouds, she nodded and zoomed to a certain friend’s cottage.

As she glided past Ponyville and toward the edge of the Everfree Forest where her friend's cottage stood, she noted Cobalt's shouts—they were not of fear or the likes, but of glee in flying through the air, his tan hair whipping through the wind.

It brought a joy to her to see him happy. She even felt happy enough to suddenly think about trying to make this less stressful of a task. Telling all her friends shouldn't have been so stressful; maybe she could try for a more light approach on this.

She could add some fun into this. With a grin, she thought of ways to trick her friends. Perhaps walk up to them oh so casually as if she had never left. It’d be hilarious! She grinned widely at the idea. It was time to stop being such a downer and at least try to make this less of a complication.

Yet her ideas depleted when she finally arrived and saw Fluttershy standing outside her house, in great peace with her animal friends.

However, she would have to put those plans away for now. One thing she could never forget about Fluttershy was her inability to expect the unexpected. Afraid to break the fragile pony, she simply walked up to the pony's peaceful cottage. She just couldn't bring herself to frighten her friend.

Fluttershy stood surrounded by a group of chicken, feeding them their seeds as she leaned down to them. Always so comfortable around animals that didn't talk, Fluttershy did not at all notice Rainbow Dash walking up to her.

She decided to just be blunt and get this over with. “Hey, Fluttershy,” she greeted so simply, it almost hurt. It was as if she hadn't been gone for five years and had simply headed over to the cottage to have lunch with her friend.

Fluttershy still flinched, but better than she expected. Fluttershy then turned around to see who addressed her. The mare's name dawned on her in milliseconds, because it felt like, as soon as she turned around, she also exclaimed in great surprise, “Rainbow Dash!”

Fluttershy ran over to her and gave her such a tight hug that Rainbow Dash made a note to never get on her bad side.

When she released her friend, Fluttershy’s wings fluttered. "Oh my goodness, it's been so long since I've seen you," she said with her eyes bright with excitement.

"I know. Since Twilight's getting married, I thought I might as well come along to make this wedding kick a-butt," she stated with a coy grin, which faltered when she realized a child was present. Luckily, Cobalt Streak did not notice anything.

Then she thought of something and nearly jumped a foot in the air. “Hey, how’s Tank doing?”

Fluttershy, full of calm countenance with the topic of animals, beamed. “Oh, he’s doing great. I mean, I try to fly with him when he wants to, but he really did miss being with you.”

Dash grinned weakly. In her note saying good-bye to all her friends, she asked Fluttershy to take care of Tank while she was gone. She struggled to decide on taking him, but in the end, if back then, she thought that she left her friends behind, she might as well have her pet, too.

Fluttershy just smiled back, but then she stopped. "Oh, I'm sorry. Do you want to go inside and have something to drink?" she asked with a gesture toward her cottage. “He’s eating right now, so maybe you’ll like to see him.”

"Uh, sure. Sounds good," she replied, noting how Cobalt peeked out from her mane shyly and cautiously.

This, too, was noticed by Fluttershy, who blinked several times before doing anything. She kneeled down on her front hooves. "And who's this?"

"This is Cobalt Streak."

"My, my, aren't you just adorable?" Fluttershy cooed and reached out a gentle hoof to the colt. He accepted it with a wide, toothy smile, those big blue eyes of the stranger strangely comforting.

“Ponies always tell me that,” he commented with a roll of his eyes. He chuckled behind his hoof.

The timid mare giggled, but then she tilted her head. There was a pause where Rainbow Dash was on her way to the door of the cottage. But Fluttershy stopped her. "Hey, he has your eyes, Rainbow--and his coat is the same color, too,” Fluttershy noted, perking her head up to Rainbow as Cobalt looked at a squirrel that approached them with wide curiosity. He sniffed it then backed away. “Is he your brother?"

Dash's confidence subsided as, once again, she knew the truth had to be said. And to be honest, it was pretty tiring, having to explain it over and over again. Yet she had to get it over with somehow. "Not... really, no."

Fluttershy's blank expression proved her answer made just as much sense as she knew it did; which wasn't much. When her eyes traveled to Cobalt with burning curiosity. Cobalt inched away but did not necessarily fall shy. Rainbow’s teeth gritted; she had a huge urge to say something, but she held it back.

"... Cobalt, is it? If I may ask, who is this?" She pointed to Rainbow Dash, much to her confusion at first, but the blue Pegasus knew his answer before he said anything. The answer that she wanted to say in the first place but found no way to just bring out.

I suppose this's another way. At this point, I could make a list of 'em, Rainbow Dash thought dryly.

She couldn't stop Cobalt from saying, "It's mommy, duh!" He rolled his eyes and spoke in an exasperated tone, finding it very obvious.

Fluttershy gasped and immediately averted her eyes to Rainbow Dash.

“Rainbow Dash... I...”

Dash just waited, waiting for Fluttershy to compose herself and respond in crystal clear sentences. She had to be very patient to be around Fluttershy for a long time.

“I’m sorry. I-I shouldn’t have just assumed he was your brother; it was so rude of me. I’m so so sorry!” she sobbed, shielding her tearful eyes behind her soft pink mane.

Rainbow Dash winced. This was worse than any disapproval; an upset Fluttershy was like a dagger to the heart. Unless you did not have one, you just felt bad. She flew closer to the sobbing Pegasus and said, “Relax, Fluttershy. You don’t have a reason to be sorry. It’s totally cool.”

The sobbing Pegasus peeked out, blinking at Cobalt, who trotted over to her. "But why--?"

Cobalt’s rose eyes bored into Fluttershy’s. “What’s wrong?”

“Oh, nothing is,” Fluttershy whispered, smiling weakly. She straightened up. “I’m sorry. I-I just had no idea. But... I’m so happy for you.” Her tone was genuinely kind, honest. Her expression met her words as her beam grew. “Oh, I have so many questions--but only if you don’t mind me asking.”

“He’s about five years old, I moved to Manehattan after having him, and I’m only here ‘cause of Twilight’s wedding,” Rainbow Dash explained in no time before Fluttershy could even ask. She found beating the bush pathetic, and would rather ignore it entirely. “Look, I’m going to probably be asked these question all day, so I’m going to explain this a lot, so I really don’t want to go too much into it, alright?” she groaned, on the brink of whining.

Fluttershy took all of this in with a slow nod. “Okay, but... at least you’re back. I won’t ask anything if it bothers you. I understand. I’m sure the others are glad you’re back, too.”

“Actually, I still have to see Applejack and Rarity,” Rainbow mentioned. I wonder if I still need to count Pinkie Pie--probably, she thought. She groaned. “Yeesh, I’d hate to be a delivery mare. I like flying and all, but not to fifty different places.”

“I’ll go with you, if you want,” Fluttershy offered in a sweet gesture.

Rainbow Dash had to consider that for a bit. As great a friend as Fluttershy was, it would only drag the trip to find both Rarity and Applejack if she had Fluttershy alongside her. Their varying speeds of flying would argue too often, against the fast flying Pegasus’s patience. But she shrugged nonetheless. “Ah, hay, why not?”

“I think Rarity's back by now, anyway.”

Rainbow Dash's ears flickered. "What d'you mean by that?"

"She's just been moving places in between here and Canterlot recently--she's been getting so much attention and clients there. But she still comes back a lot," Fluttershy explained.

"How long does she stay?"

"It's different all the time, but she's supposed to be back today. We can go find her maybe."

Rainbow nodded; she could check out Tank later. She doubted he cared about the little colt that would accompany her around a lot.

***

Rainbow Dash convinced Fluttershy that the two could fly back into town, against the protests of concerns coming from the timid Pegasus as she gestured to Cobalt, who clamped his hooves onto his mother's neck. So long as they kept at a slow pace, she did not make any remarks.

They might as well have just walked, at the pace they were going. With a grumpy look, she could only listen as Fluttershy conversed with the little colt, who took on any questions she had with eager answers.

“So what kind of things do you like to do?” was one of the many questions.

Cobalt’s large eyes softened as he pondered. “What kind of things?”

“Oh, anything, really,” said Fluttershy breathlessly.

“Well, mom likes to have me watch her do tricks. They’re super cool.” His goofy grin provided proof to his enjoyment of his mother’s feats, which weren’t all that often. She was either too busy at work or taking caring of him or tired because of this. But she tried to make those few times count, so maybe they were worth it.

“And she likes Daring Do... a lot.” He added emphasis to that last word, leaning his head in.

Fluttershy giggled. “She always liked to read those. But she didn’t like to admit she liked reading a while ago.”

“Wow, really? That’s silly!” Cobalt chuckled in his mother’s ear. He asked her, “Why?”

Rainbow Dash shrugged. “I dunno, just didn’t think it was cool at the time.”

Other conversations drifted into the air as they continued to head to Ponyville, let it be about their lives or what has been going on. Rainbow Dash wasn’t much for proper conversation, but being with Fluttershy was great distraction for the fact she would have to explain a lot more about Cobalt someday to all of them.

Since she didn’t know if Rarity was home quite yet, Fluttershy, along with Rainbow and Cobalt Streak, started toward the Carousel Boutique to start. When it was obvious no one occupied the designer’s home, Fluttershy decided to start at the train station--either hoping to find her there or on the trail toward the location.

And it was as if the Goddesses were in a good mood, because not only was Rarity heading out of the train station, but Applejack was walking up to her. Knowing this would make things much easier--or quite possibly more complicated--Rainbow Dash nudged Fluttershy and urged her to move forward with her. Cobalt followed beside his mother’s flank.

Of the two ponies greeting each other after the unicorn’s visit to Canterlot, the farmer pointed beyond Rarity’s shoulder. “Is that...” Applejack let her question dangle, since the answer was obvious.

“With Fluttershy... and some colt on her back,” Rarity observed after craning her neck a bit. Her smile widened.

“Hey, guys!” Rainbow Dash shouted as the three met up with the two shocked mares.

One greeted with equal enthusiasm, while the other was more confused. Rarity’s face lit up like one of her sparkling dresses, and she trotted up to hug her. “Rainbow Dash, darling, it’s been forever since we’ve seen you! What brings you back here--I mean, I have a feeling, but how did you find out?” When she fell back, she let out her confusion, too.

“Twilight went to Manehattan while you was gone to find Rainbow ta tell her ‘bout the weddin’. Ah reckon she’s a pretty darn good convincer to bring you here,” Applejack added in, though with a suspicious look at Cobalt Streak. She said nothing, though.

“Oh. Well, great! Luckily, I anticipated this, and planned to make five bridesmaids dresses, rather than four. They’re nowhere near completed, but when they are, everypony will look fabulous,” Rarity exclaimed with a flicker of her mane.

Fluttershy giggled, then turned to Rainbow Dash to explain, “Rarity insisted on helping plan Twilight and Ink Blot’s wedding. I know it’ll be perfect.”

Rarity grinned at that complement. “Thank you, Fluttershy, but you’re right. I’ll do everything in my power to make this the perfect wedding for those two. They deserve it, after all.”

They all nodded, and there was a pause. It was Applejack who picked it up after an awkward moment. “So who’s this youngin’ here? He certainly ain’t a familiar face,” Applejack asked down to the colt. Rarity’s face added to this; obviously, they both wanted the answer.

Rainbow Dash once again was hesitant to answer, but something popped into her head. Reveal #4: Let it out like it's nothing! It could not have hurt to try. She was just tired of treating it like a big deal anymore. "Oh, yeah. Guys, meet Cobalt, my son."

Rarity's eye twitched the second this all fell from her lips. Fluttershy began to voice her concern, only it was fruitless. Soon after, she went limp and began to fall onto the ground in an melodramatic faint. Applejack caught her in time, quick enough to snap her from it with two hooves tilting her back up.

Using her hoof to fan herself, she said breathlessly, "Thank you, darling. I just-just didn't expect that."

"It still sounds strange to me, too,” Rainbow Dash admitted.

Rarity calmed a bit, then gave the mother a smile. "That's not to say we're not proud... right, Applejack?"

It was then that Rainbow noticed Applejack's reaction in her contorted features. Her eyebrows had narrowed, a clear sign of a mix of disapproval and irritation. Turning to Rarity, however, and the unicorn's stern gaze, it all fell away. Scrunching her nose, she relaxed her angered countenances. "Of course it's great. Congrats, Rainbow Dash.”

"Yeah, yeah," Rainbow said dryly. She hissed under her breath. She knew this would happen; she couldn't imagine how things would be if it went on as complicated as it felt to talk about this. Their reactions seemed so forced. They tried to look happy, but it wasn’t enough. "Look, me being here isn't about him. It's about Twilight's wedding, so don't make this a big deal, alright?"

“We wouldn't dream of it!” Rarity exclaimed with a swish of her hoof. “What you do with your life is your own decision, so we shouldn’t bother too much with it.”

Applejack shrugged. “We’re just glad you’re back. Ah know Twilight extra happy now that all of us are here to celebrate her weddin’.”

The unicorn’s ears perked up. “Speaking of which, do you know where Twilight is? I already planned to speak to her about wedding preparations as soon as I returned,” she added with a sparkle to her eyes.

“She just got back to the library a while ago. She’s probably still there,” Dash explained, a hoof directed toward the trail to Twilight’s house.

“Thank you, darling." Her smile to the Pegasus was genuine. Even when she glanced down at the child, her aura did not fade down to anything below such. "We must go to dinner tonight--to have us all together again. My treat."

“You’ll pay for all of us?” Fluttershy echoed. “Oh, Rarity, you don’t have to do that--”

"I won't be convinced out of it!" she stated with a wink, turning about to head to the library. Her head looked over her shoulder. "Tonight at Allino’s. All six of us will have a most splendid time.”

Rainbow was about to question what to do with Cobalt, but decided to think about that later. Besides, Rarity had already left the three mares and colt.

In this, Applejack did not say a word, just had watched the others interact, stoic faced.

Finally, Applejack made a sound, very calm and patient. “So he’s why you left?”

Despite her neutral tone, it didn’t sound anything polite. In fact, even Cobalt flinched back when she gestured to him. He fell back in his mother’s shadow. It irritated Rainbow Dash, so she did with a small bite to her tone, “It wasn’t on an extended vacation.”

The two ponies were as strong headed and stubborn as mules. Butting heads together spelt disaster. But the Pegasus refused to back down, not when she wanted to defend her child. Fluttershy took a step back, the tense air of an argument strengthening.

Applejack’s brow quirked. She adjusted her hat as she looked to Cobalt, who was now sketching circles in the dirt to distract himself. “But why? It ain’t like you had to,” she said.

“I just thought it was the best idea at the time,” answered Dash, rolling her eyes.

“How did that work out?” Applejack interrogated with a small glower to match. “How did you handle that exactly? Ah can’t really see ya as a mother, so--”

“We’re fine,” Rainbow Dash cut her off. She lifted Cobalt Streak off the ground into her forehooves, gliding in the air to keep stable. He struggled a bit, but soon, he relaxed in her warm embrace. “I’m doing my best with him. Just ‘cause I don’t act like I can handle a child doesn’t mean I can’t.” She nuzzled his cheek, earning a wide beam, as if to prove something to the famer.

“Ah get it, don’t worry. Ah just wish ya thought this through. Runnin’ away don’t solve anythin’.”

And there it is! the soft blue Pegasus thought bitterly. And she would have had just the right words to fight back, but with a glance at Cobalt, her face fell. She didn’t have the energy to fight about this. Not now. “It did for me. What’s your point?”

“Ya just left us; all you gave us as a letter--letter, for Celestia’s sake!” Applejack’s voice rose, but the strain in her words, the conflict to keep her emotions at bay, made them see more of her

Not that that eased Rainbow Dash. In fact, it only made things worse. Her mood had been fine until Applejack brought up what happened nearly six years ago. “Look, I don't need this, alright?”

“Rainbow, ah didn’t mean to upset you or nothing. Ah just wish ya didn’t leave us out of the blue,” she said with a tone still with remainders of acid. Her eyes flashed a look of critique.

“Yeah, but that doesn’t mean you need to shove it in my face--or Cobalt’s. He didn’t do anything, you know,” Rainbow Dash snarled. “And I’m not here to have what I did judged because I was going through a lot of sh-stuff.”

“Ah know that, but it’s not like ya can hide it from us. We all think about it still sometimes. It was pretty selfish of ya to just disappear from our lives,” Applejack said honestly.

That hit her hard, right in a soft spot. Selfish. Selfish? She had no other way to respond other than finding anger in her veins. Her brows narrowed. “Forget this, I’m outta here,” Rainbow declared, her wings already flaring for departure. Applejack’s eyes softened, but something about her remained cold.

“But Rainbow-!”

She didn’t bother responding to Fluttershy’s cry. She did not look back; just turned about and raced into the skies. Any more seconds down there would just result in more fighting; she needed to cool off the blood boiling in her veins. Applejack was so unnecessarily harsh.

And right...

Not wanting that to echo in her mind, she flew home.

Rainbow Dash soared into the air, feeling the wind kiss her mane gracefully. She shut her eyes just for a second as she took in the feeling. She hadn't flown so high and with such energy in what felt like forever. Having an earth colt meant finding the ground as an easier home to live in. But in this one moment, she pretended like nothing kept her grounded.

In fact, she would have flown at deathly speed, were it not for him. But in the end, she didn’t mind. This was a perfect pace for the two. Cobalt, in her arms, watched the world go by below, gasping and grinning in awe. She smiled, too.

And she found herself heading toward her old cloud house, which miraculously remained intact. It appeared gray in the orange reflection of the sky.

She stepped in and held onto Cobalt for dear life, knowing a single wrong move would send him under the clouds and onto the ground feet below. Shutting the door, she noticed a single, strange thing as she observed the room.

It looked clean.

Even when she lived here, it wasn't as clean as it looked. It appeared spotless, on the bridge of perfection in terms of cleanliness. The suitcases landed on the bed where she wanted them to, and she flew around the room, inspecting it for a moment.

She doubted that if she wiped a hoof on any surface, there would be dust. While there was no strange shine to it, the Pegasus was bemused to see this place, which she swore was untouched for the past half a decade, clean, as if it were occupied.

But she didn’t let it bother her long. She sat on her bed and released Cobalt from her arms. However, she pointed at him with a serious stare. “Alright, Cobalt, I only have one rule right now. Until I find Twilight later, I want you to stay on this bed. Don’t try to get off, or ele.. I’ll be really sad.”

While the house was only one or two stories high, at best, that didn’t mean it was any less safe than a cloud abode miles high.

Since his mother never really was serious unless necessary, he nodded. “I don’t want you to be sad, so okay. Bu-but will I stay here forever?”

Rainbow’s fallen face rose into a grin. “Nah, I’ll figure things out eventually. But in the meantime,” she said as she glanced over at the bookshelf. She wasn’t a huge book pony--only a small one, she swore--but she had left a fair amount of books here that she didn’t take with her. She flew up and took out one book to read the author’s name aloud.

“Hay, I still have some good books left here; Manechael Grant, Emily Gryffon--ugh, Stephanie Meigher? What was I thinking?” She flicked that one out the window, feeling bad if anypony thought a walk near her house was a good idea.

“Ah-ha! One of my Daring Do books! Thought I had brought them all with me. Well, I don’t think I have anything else you’d like to read about... unless I read this one to you already.”

“Five times,” Cobalt Streak said in such a blank, deadpan tone, it was laughable, which she did. He sprawled onto the bed, face up. “You read me Daring Do a lot.”

“Oh, well,” she said with a shrug of her shoulders. She whipped it onto the bed, maybe for a later time. “I just don’t think those other books for kids are good enough. They’re all so dumb,” she grumbled loudly, planting her flank back on the bed, sitting beside him. Leaning back, she asked, “Ya got any ideas what to do?”

A light bulb sparked in Cobalt’s head after a few ponder moments, and he jumped onto his hooves. “How ‘bout we make our own story--and it can be Daring Do, too”

“Really? I don’t think--actually, let’s try it!” Rainbow grinned. It wasn’t a bad idea. At least he wasn’t paying too much attention to the fact he was just sitting on that bed probably for a good amount of the rest of the day. She sat by him, and he cuddled into her lap perfectly. “Our story could be way cooler, even.”

Cobalt’s enthusiasm was visible in his features as ideas scattered across his mind. At first he sputtered until she could actually understand he was saying, “Okay, so Daring Do goes to... uh I dunno? Where she go?” He looked up at her with big rosey eyes when he got stuck.

“She goes to... the ocean!” Dash decided, thinking about one place she had yet to see Daring Do venture in those books. She had more places to go than Rainbow Dash thought.

“But ponies can’t be in water.”

Her first thought was, How can a five year old pick that up? “How do you know she can’t,” she challenged.

“There was Velvet’s party last year.”

The memory flashed in her head. Cobalt with the friends of the filly that the pool party was meant for, and Rainbow Dash just barely conversing with the parents. She was only there because she had taken the day off. But then she had gotten to see that one foal, a sister of another invited colt, sneak off toward the small pool and trip, unable to get help until somepony grabbed her. Rainbow Dash got kicked out for making fun of the filly--but who wouldn’t laugh at a kid who nearly drowned in a two feet pool? Just thinking about those words were hilarious.

Unless she darkly of Cobalt in that situation. “Yeeaaah,” Rainbow grimaced awkwardly, thinking, That sure was a fun experience. “But, uh, Daring Do had a submarine.” Cobalt blinked, and the Pegasus remembered her kid’s age and sighed. “They’re like carriages, only they go underwater. I haven’t seen one, but Twilight might have a few books on them.”

“Cool! Can we have one?” Cobalt asked like a spoiled child.

“Maybe; for your birthday,” she lied easily, hoping his memory wasn’t long-lasting. She just liked to make him feel good.

“Awesome,” he breathed as his eyes drifted up, thinking about an experience like such.

“That’s why you’re my kid. C’mere!” She grasped him in her wings and pulled her son closer to him.

Cobalt giggled; she realized her wings brushed his armpits. It lasted a second, but what happened caught on quick. He stepped away, blushing deep pink against the blue hues of his coat.

“Oh, yeah, you’re like me,” muttered Dash, noticing his panting breath and red, grinning face. A devilish smirk then complimented her idea. Cobalt saw this and didn’t know what to think.

She reached out to him and attempted to tickle his sides with her hooves. When he held them back with all his might, she added in her wings to do the job. He was no match, and he was tossed into a fit of uncontrollable laughter as Rainbow Dash tickled his sides.

“No, mom, please! Hahahahaha! Quit it. I-I-I’ll get you back!” he swore in between laughter and fits to catch breath.

“I’d like to see that,” she challenged.

She stopped, letting him cough and giggle for the aftermath. Rainbow Dash leaned on the bed victoriously. He straightened up, shook his head like a wet dog, and looked to her. With his own smirk, which she began to question, he belly flopped onto her.

“Hey, now! Watch it!” she warned him with no threat whatsoever in her voice. After loud chuckling, she took him off of her and found her eyes drifting to the side, for whatever reason. But if there was a reason, it didn’t matter.

She lost all focus on her child for a moment, intent on a picture angled toward the bed on a nightstand. She picked it up and walked to the window, her attention whisked away as this picture grasped it.

Her hoof slipped down onto the picture, which was autographed by Spitfire. Both mares were standing by the other, hooves slung over each other's shoulder. Rainbow Dash had trouble holding back a huge fangirl smile while Spitfire looked as calm and collected as always.

This was way back when Rainbow Dash had won the Best Young Flyers Competition. She was given high praise for her heroic actions--and she relished in that glory. She never did it for the fame--though some instances, she found her ego to be ballooned because of this--but instead for those ponies who needed it. The reward was always worth it, too.

She hadn’t done anything heroic in a long time. She had been so focused on Cobalt. He never meant anything that happened to her because of him, but she had given up plenty because of him. She gave up the glory, the heroism, even the skies, for him.

No matter how much she loved him, she couldn’t help but miss those days. She wanted to fly with the Wonderbolts, wanted to save somepony from falling off a cliff or something like that. Oh, the adrenaline from these things that came to her so simply back then. She grew insatiable for these gifts now, as if they were royal offerings rather than her old lifestyles.

What’d she give to fly free without a care...

A small whimper interrupted her spacing out.

All she saw when she turned around was a small, columbus blue body falling through the air--and through the clouds. What was happening registered faster than she ever reacted before, a strong instinct overcoming her. Her wings stretched out, and the Wonderbolt picture slipped from her grasp, instantly forgotten.

NO!”

He disappeared in the clouds, leaving a small gap in his wake. She followed afterward at blinding acceleration.

She descended at marvelous speed, creating a hole through her floor. Her hooves outstretched very far as she soon saw Cobalt Streak falling in a short distance from her. He was not so much screaming in terror but crying as he cascaded, his tan colored hair whipping over him and his eyes hiding behind his hooves.

Due to her amazing speed, she braked in the air below him, waiting just a second to take him in her arms. He landed into her cyan forehooves, and his cries fell silent as he realized he had stopped. He pulled his hooves from his face. Upon the dawning fact that he had been saved from falling, his lips quivered, his body shaking.

An overwhelming feeling clutched her chest as she felt his body brush into her arms, the absolute fear of the worst possible outcome gone. She shouldn't have doubted her speed, but she nonetheless felt terrified to see her son like that. She let him relax and stop trembling in her arms and patted his back. “Goddess, Cobalt! Don't-you scared the heck outta me!” she said in an exasperated tone, her breathing heavy as she clutched her son onto her as tight as she could. She never felt such a need to hold him such as now, the fear of him falling well in her mind. She struggled to not cry now that he was safe

“I'm sorry, mom,” he apologized, bowing his head down onto her shoulder.

Composing herself and her racing heart, she looked into his saddened eyes and felt guilt sink deep into her chest. She sighed and said, “It's alright. You didn't mean it. Let's just...”

Why did she do that? Why did she even think about moving back up there, when her son couldn't even walk on the floor without falling instantly? That was why she had gotten a place in Manehattan in the first place; she couldn't live in the clouds with him. And she had accepted that, for him.

“You don't need to be sorry. I'm... we just need to be careful,” she said slowly.

Cobalt just nodded, eyes cast down in small shame that still lingered despite her saying otherwise. She glanced up at her house. She couldn't bother staying up there longer for now; she had to do something, now that Cobalt hindered her from staying up there with ease.

Rather than deal with it for now, however, Rainbow Dash quickly headed into the house to check the time. Thinking about what Rarity promised, perhaps she could meet Twilight later tonight for dinner, should the occasion still be available, and talk about some sort of spell to let him walk on the clouds. This was as close to a home as she could get, so she just had to use what she had available.

Sure enough, as she exited, she saw a yellow blur glide towards her and Cobalt.

“Hi, Rainbow Dash. And Cobalt,” she added with a sweet smile Cobalt's way. He waved. “Everypony's at Twilight's house, so I wanted to bring you over.”

“Is Applejack there?” She crossed her arms over her chest.

Fluttershy frowned slightly. “I'm sure she didn't mean to be mean, Rainbow. She's your friend, so she just missed you,” she defended their close friend.

Rainbow Dash didn’t think too much about going. While she already had a sudden grudge at Applejack for their argument, why should she let that take away time with her friends?

“Alright, let’s go.”

Author's Note:

A/N: Sweet Celestia, what was I thinking with those horse name puns? And a Meyer reference, at that? Bad Missy! But I make no regrets in the end. And I know that the reuniting of the characters was short, but... seriously, we’re still going to see them a lot in this, so it’s not like they’re almost nonexistent. I just couldn’t find ways to extend the scenes without being repetitive or forcing it.