• Published 18th Jan 2013
  • 3,283 Views, 277 Comments

Grounded - MissytheAngle



A secret hidden for five years is at last brought to light.

  • ...
3
 277
 3,283

Thirteen

Grounded

Thirteen

“Hey, I'm back-” Before she could say anything beyond that, her voice left her. She stood at the doorway, ceasing everything, with a blank expression at her son and the babysitter.

“Keep pressing X!” commanded the unicorn with a straight blond mane, her face contorted with fierce determination. She held a controller like Cobalt, only in her yellow hued magic, and she paid far more attention to how he was progressing in this game—a game Rainbow Dash could only describe as something that really likes red graphics.

“It's really tiring,” Cobalt whined, his hoof tapping the X button at a slower pace than apparently required. His face was red; whether with anger or impatience from playing the video game, Rainbow hadn't a clue.

Rainbow chuckled. When she had gotten this apartment, there wasn't much to it. But she also had no idea how cheap it was, but when she checked the prices, she found the perfect opportunity to buy some furniture... and then some. As in, a gaming system that would entertain her son.

Though on occasion, she did find herself going into mother mode and telling him to do his homework first; she just didn't want more remarks from Miss Cheerilee about him not doing his homework. Now, though, it looked as if he'd rather be at his desk, doing math problems than playing this game.

"C'mon, little blue. Just pound his face a little—ooooh, uh, hi, Rainbow Dash.” The mare caught herself and, cheeks ablaze, stood up. The controller dropped onto the floor once it slipped from her magical grasp.

She cleared her throat, and Cobalt turned to see his mother. Relief washed away his irritation at the game. “Hi, mom!” he called out.

“Say, what's got ya so beat? You look like you ran a marathon.”

“She keeps beating me, and it's not nice!” Cobalt complained with a whiny attitude, pointing an accusing hoof her way.

“Hey, I won because I deserved it,” the unicorn said with a proud attitude. She stood up and walked over to Rainbow Dash, and it took a second for Dash to realize why she was here.

“Oh, right. Uh, thanks. How was it, Cobalt?” she asked with a smile before turning with an anxious look toward Summer Breeze. She didn't know much about the mare, but knew from others that she could be described as simply care-free and kind. She only accepted her because she needed a babysitter so suddenly, and the mare lived right underneath her apartment. “Did he, uh—everything's okay, right? Like, no problems or whatever?”

“Don't worry. He's fine,” said the unicorn, flipping her straight blond mane out of her face. She played with it for a moment before continuing. “He didn't cause any trouble or anything, so it's all good.”

“Yeah, yeah. I know that. Awesome,” she said. With an enthusiastic grip on Cobalt, she tossed him lightly into the air and easily caught him. She smiled at him for a few moments before placing him back on the ground, then going over to Summer, she tossed her a few bits.

Summer beamed and put the money in a bag. “If you ever need somepony to watch over him, you know where to find me.”

Dash nodded curtly, distracted as she exited the house. Summer didn't seem so bad, but she'd rather have Cobalt around her or at least ponies she knew closer to her rather than random ponies. If everypony she knew wasn't busy, she could have done that. She glanced at the doorway and heard Summer leave.

With Summer Breeze gone, she couldn't hold it in anymore. She breezed toward Cobalt and asked, “Hey, kid, guess what?”

“What?” He pulled away from his crayon drawing and gave his mother curious eyes.

“We're going on a trip to the Crystal Empire!” She gave him a big smile, hoping he got excited.

That didn't register any surprise or shock—in fact, he looked pretty confused. He didn't even react to his mother's over-excitement. She realized a second later why. “Oh, right. You don't know about that. Heh.”

“Is it made of crystals?” he guessed, brow quirked. He giggled at his silly idea.

“For the most part. There are even crystal ponies there.”

Cobalt's eyes shot open wide. Obviously, he never heard of anything like this, and the fact his guess was actually true was a complete shock. “Really? Are you sure?”

“Heck, yeah! I've been there a few times, actually. It's pretty sweet there,” she complimented, in order to get his hopes high. She grinned wide in hopes to make him more enthusiastic.

Now with proof of its greatness, Cobalt smiled ear-to-ear. “Wow, that's awesome!” he said with flailing little hooves. “I can't wait! When are we going?”

“A few days, I think.”

He then let out a loud raspberry. “Aww, that's too long. Can't we go now?” he asked impatiently.

Rainbow chuckled at him, tickling his sides. He giggled. “That's a no, but you can wait, can't you?”

“N-no,” he struggled to answer straight when a yawn escaped him.

She rolled her eyes. “You gotta grow some patience, little blue,” Dash added with a smirk. She picked him up again and heard him give a squeal as he let out another yawn. His eyelids shut, threatening to close for the night. “Now it's time for bed, how 'bout?”

Cobalt didn't answer. He had already fallen asleep in his mother's grasp. Rainbow Dash made the trip quieter by flying her way to his bedroom.

With Cobalt now asleep in his own room, Rainbow Dash just couldn't do the same. She remained wide awake, to a point where the ceiling lacked much interest. It didn't even have a fan, so all that was there was dull, gray paint to look at. The only sound in her ears was the gentle rainfall that always was a peaceful noise to sleep through.

However, bored out of her skull, this wasn't enough to keep her occupied. She got out of her bed, which would never be the same as her soft cloud bed, and searched through her room for entertainment. Her bookshelf, of course, had plenty of readable things. And other than that, well, loud video games were out, else it might wake Cobalt.

Dash brushed her hoof through the top shelf and grabbed a random book. She pulled it out and peeked at the title: Where We Belong by Emily Gryffon.

She didn't remember much of the book, so it must have been a while since she read it. With this in mind, she shrugged, and took it to her bed. She landed on it slowly, floating down with her wings spread out. Landing, she cuddled into the blanket and pillow, both of which were not so bad really. They had a softness to their texture, not exactly like a cloud, but it would do.

She opened the book to the first page. Almost instantly, she recalled this book and groaned. Rainbow peeked at the back for its summary and rolled her eyes.

Oh, great. Why did she get this book again? It only pissed her off more about what happened with her. It was not an exact copy in any way, but it certainly brought unwanted memories. She loved how the writer took on events that could very much happen in life—the exact opposite of who wrote Daring Do, but both wrote well enough that she didn't care—but when some similarities were visible on the pages, Rainbow Dash didn't like it one bit.

Next thing she knew, she found herself thinking back to around six years ago: the day that shook her life forever and some beyond that date.


Rainbow Dash sat on the paper covered mat in the doctor's room. It was quiet and white, the room. She wanted to say something, but she was afraid she'd freak out. Doctors' offices never really were all that comforting. All she had to listen to was the paper crinkling underneath her. It only did that when somepony moved a lot, which she did in her anxious state.

Doctor's offices always freaked her out. She hated doctors, any place involving sharp needles being prodded into and on your body—ugh, just thinking about it pained her. She shuddered.

She also hated how long the doctors and nurses took. Good Celestia, why even make an appointment when they make you wait for nearly an hour? Perhaps that was why they were called patients—you apparently had to have a lot of patience. Well, she didn't.

She lay back and tried to keep calm. Hospitals and anything related to those always brought out the worst in her.

Just when she thought of leaving, the doctor came in. Good, she thought. She'd rather know what was going on with her.

The fatigue, the nausea and vomiting, and the fact food itself, the very sight, made her sick; it was all too much, and she had no idea what her problem was. And while Twilight was a good source for checking books as to what problems were, she wasn't a doctor. And this seemed pretty big. She'd rather face the horrors of doctor's offices than hope a few books could solve everything.

The light coated doctor went through his clipboard, keeping it levitated in a blue aura. “After looking over your symptoms and the questions you answered, the cause of your problems is actually very obvious now,” he said behind the clipboard. He looked back to her, and just as she had a flash of worry on her face, he abruptly added, “There is no serious disease or illness you have, Miss Dash. Actually, it's some pretty good news.”

Rainbow looked at him, pretty much demanding him to go on. The wait was killing her! His tone wasn't very helpful either; any second longer, she felt like she would explode!

Rainbow Dash... you're pregnant.”

Those four words changed everything. Words couldn't dare describe her thoughts, her feelings, that made her fall speechless. She just stared at the doctor blankly, as if trying to process it for a moment before responding. Her breath stopped short, and she opened her mouth to speak, but for a good minute, she couldn't. This... there was no way... it was impossible...

A-are ya sure? I-I mean... did you double-check? TRIPLE check?” she asked in desperation, in deep denial of this. Her hooves were shaking, and her heart was pounding at an impossible rate.

We made sure to check everything, and it's definite that you are just about a month pregnant,” the doctor said with a stern expression. He nodded. “This is probably a lot to take in, but it'll be okay. Our nurses will help you get through this, if you are that nervous. Is this your first pregnancy, because it's very understandable—”

No, no, I got it.” Her voice was empty, lost, as she cut him off. He stared at her questioningly. Rainbow stood up. “I can handle this. Don't worry.”

The doctor gave her a look, hesitating. “Well, I recommend you speak with one of the nurses, at least, for a pamphlet about the process, though it's never easy even with many books and pamphlets. I have to go right now, if there isn't anything else you are certain you need. Congratulations, Rainbow Dash.”

Thanks,” she grumbled, not sure how it was a congratulatory moment. He left Rainbow to herself, where she pondered... well, everything.

Everything was what changed from that point on, after all. And that was the worst part for her. Nothing would be the same, according to her. She felt a whole other life starting already, and he/she wasn't even here yet!

On her way home, she was flying a lot slower than usual. She was afraid her lack of concentration on where she was going would lead to stupidly running into something, lost in her thoughts. Her mind was trotting millions of miles a minute. The wind whistled through her mane, and her eyes closed in deep thought once she found herself in an area that she was certain she wouldn't run into anything.

One thought that crossed her mind was one of her own mother. Feathered Dash. So busy with work and hanging out with friends, she often had Rainbow Dash home, with an available friend, by herself, or on rare occasions when he was home, her father. Those were the best times, but they were such a rarity, it was more often than not that she was home alone. And it sucked. It was boring and sad, and sometimes scary. She learned to fend for herself, but because of this?

Now she was going to be a mother. Mothers do what they can to be better than their own parents. And she wasn't going to do anything like her mother did. She couldn't let her child be alone like that. Even if it was with other ponies, only ones she trusted, it was fine.

She could only trust so many ponies with her child. There were obviously her friends...

Her friends.

How in Equestria would they react?

She felt a twinge of something unexpected, and something she couldn't explain. It was in her chest, and it happened at the very though of her friends finding out. She couldn't hide it forever, could she? Why should she hide it? What's the worst that could happen?

The world around them would change at the reveal, and who knows how they'd react? Would they like the baby, too? Would they accept it? Why was she so unsure about the answers? They were her friends, after all! And yet... how far does friendship go? Could it change, too, with something like this that happened because of a stupid mistake?

No, don't panic now, she thought. That's Twilight's thing; freaking out over nothing. She opened her eyes again and watched the sky glow orange as the sun began to descend into the mountains for the day. She was alone with her thoughts, yet she didn't like being alone. Not right now. She started flying elsewhere, only her wings and the wind guiding her there.

On her way there, she kept herself occupied with one other thought: the father.

She thought of that night at Applejack's farm, where she sneaked in the midst of the Apple Family Reunion. She loved all the food and drinks that were offered, so how could she resist? She remembered waking up with a hangover, and with a stallion apologizing over and over again about what happened. She didn't think much of it, or him. She only knew that they talked just a bit at the reunion. Other than that, he could have very well been a stranger.

She had visited Applejack's farm the other day, and no other family members other than her close family was there. Was he even here? She remembered very little about him, only two things: his name, Cortland, and that he lived in Appleloosa.

But that didn't satisfy her. If she had a kid, she wanted it to be with someone she knew and trusted. And now, she found herself with one after a night with some strange stallion. How embarrassing. Rainbow refused to even think about him anymore. If she didn't know him, she didn't want to bother. End of story.

She couldn't take it anymore. Once her focus fell back into reality, she found herself heading away from Ponyville and closer to the Everfree Forest. There, Fluttershy lived very close to. Her heart stopped, along with her body as she flattened her wings and landed on the ground. The cottage was just over the little bridge. She might as well tell somepony. Fluttershy would understand, Fluttershy would help her out. After all, Rainbow Dash could trust her best friend with anything.

She knocked at the door, and it only took a few seconds for hoofsteps to resonate in her ears. Before she knew it, the door opened, and a head with light pink hair popped out.

Large blue eyes flashed with recognition once their eyes met. “Oh, Rainbow Dash. How are you?”

Hey, Fluttershy, I...”

She couldn't get anymore than that. Her mouth was open, but no words came out. They refused to let her say anything. There was now a hint of nervousness in her, and she wanted to go away, embarrassed that she couldn't get out the words she wanted.

Fluttershy looked at her, concerned. “What's wrong? Are you okay?”

She honestly had no idea, unable to find out why she couldn't speak. After a minute, she said in a slightly struggling voice, “Y-yeah... I just... wanted to know if...”

Her mouth could not bring out the words she wanted. They were stuck in her throat, which had shut everything away but the air she used to live, but not what she desperately wanted at that moment. Her eyebrows furrowed, and she looked to the side. She was already in a rough condition, and this didn't seem to be helping one bit.

Fluttershy flew closer to her, taking note of Rainbow's barely steady breathing and shaking. “Are you okay, Dashie? You don't look well. Maybe you should come inside and lay down for a bit?”

Rather than try to run away at that very moment, she actually realized how exhausted and thirsty she was from the overwhelming stress that was driving her nuts at that very moment. Rainbow nodded. “Sure, thanks.”

Fluttershy guided Dash in with one wing wrapped around her shoulder. There was an immediate comfort that flowed whenever she was in Fluttershy's house. Whenever she messed up an air trick and got injured, Fluttershy would be there to help her get better. Even if they were little trips when Tank needed something that involved Fluttershy's help, a lunch with her was a nice way to unwind. She was always there for her, so what was different about now?

Just about everything, Rainbow Dash thought in bitterness. I can't handle this, and I don't want her to know how pathetic I feel right now! It's just embarrassing.

Fluttershy brought a cup of tea over to her. Rainbow Dash took a sip and sighed, the liquid livening her a bit. It wasn't enough to bring her mood back up, but it was something. Fluttershy went to grab a cup of her own and was flying over to the couch Dash was sitting on when the latter started another conversation.

I can trust you with anything, Fluttershy?”

Absolutely!” she answered with no hesitance. “You're my best friend. W-why would you ask something like that? Are you certain nothing is wrong?”

Rainbow just nodded. Of course. Of course she could trust Fluttershy. That's why she came here in the first place. So what was wrong with her? Why couldn't she just say it: 'I'm pregnant and I don't know what to do.' That was all she had to say.

I've kinda been feeling down lately, that's all. Had lots on my mind, that kind of stuff.”

Is there anything you need to tell me?”

Rainbow Dash even got close enough to open her mouth, but again, no words formed. Her throat was tightened again, and she grit her teeth.

Oh, I'm sorry! I shouldn't have been nosy,” Fluttershy apologized in the blink of an eye, making Rainbow jump.

No, no, it's cool,” Rainbow said, realizing it was pointless to be there. She knew she could not at all explain her situation or put it in any sort of words. It was a mistake to be here; now, she felt just plain stupid. She already finished her tea and put it on the table in front of her. “I could try and explain it, but I don't think there's any point. I'll-I'll figure it out on my own.”

Okay...” Fluttershy looked concerned, enough to want to say something, but she didn't. Before Rainbow could leave, she added in a hurry, “If you need anything, I could help you... if you want.”

Dash nodded curtly. “Thanks, but I... look, I gotta go!” In a hurry, she flew away, hugging herself, leaving behind her worried and bemused friend.

She had finally realized why she couldn't do this, why she couldn't tell them.

She was afraid. Afraid of facing the truth, the reality of telling her friends. She imagined their looks, their expressions: shock, disappointment, even horror. They would criticize her behind soft tones, tell her how to take care of a child. She wasn't exactly experienced or anything, nor did she anticipate or plan anything like this, but neither did they.

They wouldn't understand, and she could handle this herself. She was going to be the mother, not them. She didn't want to let them know what had happened to her because of her pure stupidity. After that, everything would change, for probably the worst. She loved how it was now, how their lives were simple minus some adventures now and then.

She would rather face dangerous creatures and evil spirits or whatever than deal with what was happening at this moment.

If she ever told them, it couldn't be now. She wasn't ready yet. She flew home and buried her face in her bed, groaning as she felt the stress of being pregnant already falling onto her shoulders like a ton of bricks. Yet she'd rather deal with it like this than tell any of them...

***

Three long, agonizing months had passed by, and with each week, it was getting harder to conceal her pregnancy. She was a lucky soul that didn't get a huge, obvious stomach in the beginning, and just looked like she had eaten way too much at Sugarcube Corner.

But that wouldn't last forever. Eventually, when the inevitable got closer, of course they'd put two and two together. They would find out, and her lies would be shown. The more she kept it secret, the worse the reveal would be. How would they feel if she told them she was months into pregnancy without telling them?

She considered telling them one last time, but knots constricted in her stomach at the idea. They would have loved her child, that much she knew. Yet would they love her back? Would they still love her even after the stupid thing she had done? They wouldn't... call her names, would they? Would they judge her, think differently of her? It wasn't even being pregnant that was the problem, it was why that pained her the most. She wasn't planning it or anything. How would they feel if she explained that?

She didn't want to find out. Ever. It was too much. Her head and heart were in a panic state, and she couldn't think straight. The next thing she knew, she was packing a few things, ready to head out.

And by head out, she planned to move out of Ponyville and... go just about anywhere where she can move in and start a new life altogether. It was rough to even consider, but it had long been in her mind. She fought it for so long; after all, how could she ever leave behind her friends like that? It was cruel.

But there was another pony to consider, and that made the decision even more complicated. There was a limit to loyalty, especially when there are more ponies to consider. She looked down at her gradually widening stomach and sighed. Her bag was wrapped on her back, and she left the house.

All she left in her dust was a note plastered on the door, telling her friends she was fine and had moved away suddenly, promising to write. She always did, to ensure them she was okay, but it was never the same.

Dash knew Pegasi couldn't fly beyond four to five months of pregnancy, so she walked to the train station, keeping an eye out for any ponies she knew well. It was very early at the time, the sun having just risen. She looked for a train to the first city that appeared in her eyes on the map on the wall at the train station. She poked her hoof at it and sighed: Manehattan. It could work.

Getting on board, she lay her head down and sighed. It was taking a while to accept what she was doing, and she had yet to.

If I can't be loyal for my friends, I'll be sure to do my best with you,” she said, looking down. Her hoof gently touched her stomach, as if her child already could hear it. She wished he/she would, so it knew how much she was doing because of him/her. She wanted to not feel so alone at this moment.

She made her promise to stay loyal with Cobalt. She only had that one mare take him home from school for her, but that was it. Otherwise, she stayed home with him and made sure to be a good mother. On some occasions, she went out and had someone foalsit him, but only after several months of getting to know someponies in Manehattan. That was it.

But that wasn't her problem. Not one bit. She groaned into her hooves as she recalled what she had done to her friends. Leaving them like that; how could she do that?

In the midst of her hormones, she assumed the worst, thought horrible things. Her mind delved into horrible things that never happened. Maybe it was denial, or maybe it was fear. Hormones mixed into that was just a mess. She was afraid of change in her great life, and it was enough to drive her away from home to sort out a whole other life altogether. At least then, she could fix her life the way she wanted it.

But that didn't go as well as she wanted it to, now, did it?

That was why she was here. Not only did Twilight's wedding take account into it, but she now realized her mistakes and stupidity in the past, and she wantedno, she needed—to mend whatever problems she had broken when she left Ponyville behind. Smiling, she was certain she was doing well in that.

The smile was still on her face as she fell asleep with the book resting on her chest.

Author's Note:

Summer Breeze is an OC of my friend, Seven81493. It's been a while since I told him I'd bring her in, but I hope I got her alright. ^_^

And this chapter is also super big. I've always struggled with wondering why Rainbow would just leave. This is just something to fill in that gap, mostly for myself and maybe some of you, if you were wondering. Chapter 14 isn't entirely complete, but since this was pretty much done, I got it in the quickest I have updated this story in months, which is good.

School starts in 23 days for me. I wonder how updates will go then.... oh well. Later!