• Published 2nd Feb 2013
  • 13,867 Views, 499 Comments

Burning Souls - Redwolf15



What happens when you get a brony a pegasister, Pokemon, and My Little Pony all in one story?

  • ...
140
 499
 13,867

What Now?

Chapter Four
**********

Besides hearing the wheels of the train click against the rails, things were quiet for the three of them. Twilight didn't know why the Princesses couldn't help them, and she didn't know why they refused to tell her. But she did know if the Princesses wouldn't tell her, then there was a good reason for it.

Drex had become uncomfortably quiet. Twilight didn't know much about him, but what she did know was that, much like Pinkie, he couldn't not be doing something. Instead he just sat there looking out the window, not paying attention to the passing scenery. And Allison looked rather depressed, and why wouldn’t she? Twilight truly felt sorry for them.

Allison was sitting with Drex this time at the back of their empty car, no other ponies were present. Twilight wanted to cheer them up, to reach out and lift their moods, but she wasn’t uncertain as to how she could do that. Unfortunately for her, she was not as talented as Pinkie Pie.

The train ground to a halt as they reached the station at Ponyville. They all got off the train, not saying a single word. Twilight offered to lead them back to her tree house so they can plan out their next step, they had no objections.

While walking through town, the tension finally became too great for Drex. "Son of a bitch!" His startling action was then followed by another. He bolted off through town, leaving Twilight and the surrounding townsfolk confused and a bit frightened by his outburst.

"Drex, wait!" Twilight yelled, watching him run off in the distance. Something landed on her shoulder, and she turned to see an empty gaze from Allison.

"Let him be Twilight."

"But," before she could continue on and chase after Drex, she saw that Allison knew what she was talking about. Allison knew Drex better than she did, and so she relinquished and let him run off in his frustration.

"He's a goof and even an idiot at times, but he's also tough. He doesn't want us to see him like this. Every time something wrong has happened in any of our lives he'll do something impulsive. But he'll always be fine and smiling afterwards. Sometimes he's predictable, other times you'll never know what he'll do. No matter what it is, it is always for a reason." Allison answered. That was the truth of it, but she didn't tell Twilight his motive for that outburst. True, impulsion did have a hand in it, but there was something even more personal about the whole thing.

"What will you two do now?" Twilight asked concerned for them, more so for Drex after just witnessing his action. They resumed their walk, "will you go find your home on your own? I'm sure that somepony somewhere has heard or seen where you come from." Allison shook her head.

"I’m afraid not Twilight. We know for a fact that no one knows where we come from, and we'll never find it no matter where or how long we look, our home is just too well hidden. I suppose we'll try and pick up the shattered pieces and start a new life."

"We could help you on that." Twilight offered without a second's hesitation and giving Allison a warming smile.

"Thank you Twilight, we'd love that." She said truthfully and gave her gracious smile back.

They returned to the tree-house to find that Spike had returned to sorting the books. When he saw them enter he had a smile on his face. "So how'd it go?"

"Not good Spike, I'm afraid that even the Princesses don't know where they could have come from." Twilight answered.

"Can't they go look, I'm sure somepony must know."

"I’m afraid not," Allison answered this time, shaking her head. "As I told Twilight, we both know for a fact that that would be impossible. No one has ever seen us, we don't know where our home may be, and we don't know where to start looking. I'm afraid Drex and I are as good as lost."

"Hey, where is Drex?" Spike asked looking around to see that he's not with them.
***

"Dammit! Dammit! Dammit!" Drex yelled as loud as he possibly could. No ponies stared at him in fear because there were none around. He was by himself, inside the Everfree. He knew how dangerous it could be inside the forest, but he needed to be alone right now. Besides, he wasn’t going very far, just enough to be out of sight from Ponyville.

He constantly threw himself at the trees in anger, letting his aggression slowly subside. All around him small indents or slashes have been made in the surrounding trees that he had struck. He stood there huffing, his anger still unsatisfied.
'I promised him I'd say goodbye!' He thought angrily to himself, remembering a particular time many years ago. "I made that a promise!" He struck another tree with his head this time. Oddly enough, he barely felt the impact at all. He did not bother to question why, he didn't even notice that he wasn't hurting, he was too angry.

He continued to head butt the same tree and yell, making the small indent larger and larger until the tree eventually toppled over. He blankly stared at the fallen tree, "Why? Why couldn't I keep that promise to Max?" He sat down and wept invisible tears. He didn't cry, he wouldn't let himself.

The sound of a snapping twig was heard behind him and turned towards a bush where the sound came from. He got up from his spot and slowly crept towards the bushes, not sure what to expect. He slowly moved closer until he was in breathing distance of it. Then out from the bushes peered two yellow eyes. He yelped and jumped away from the bushes.

Following the yellow eyes came a head and a body made out of wood. The creature had a wolfish appearance to it. Four more wolf-like wood creatures appeared around Drex, surrounding him and cutting off all exits. "Timberwolves."

One that was larger than the rest stepped forward and circled Drex, probably the alpha. Drex matched it step for step and circled with it, the other wolves kept a tight circle around them. They dared not interfere, only bark and bite around Drex if he got too close to the outer perimeter. He was bigger than the wolf, but he spent most of his energy lashing out at trees and had no knowledge of fighting in his present form or against a vicious animal.

The first to make a move was the alpha; it jumped towards Drex, mouth agape.
***

"And you're sure there's no chance of finding your home?" Rarity asked once more.

"Yes, even if we searched our entire lives' we won't find anywhere that we may recognize, our home is well hidden." Allison lied, making it clear to the girls that there was no chance of going home. This had been the fifth time she had to answer that question.

"Oh, you poor dear. At least you're not alone and have a friend with you." Rarity reassured her. The other girls dropped by the library to see what was happening. Rainbow Dash had spotted Drex running through town. She didn't bother asking him what his problem was or try and stop him, she knew that when someone is moving that fast, you best leave them alone. So instead she went to see Twilight and ask her if she knew. After explaining the situation to Dash, Twilight asked her to get the others and see if they could help in any way possible.

"So what're ya going to do? Ya know, for a home and food and all." Applejack asked.

"Well, that's a good question. We have no money so we can't rent a place or stay at a motel. But food's going to be the biggest issue." She said that last bit under her breathe so the others wouldn't hear her out loud. She was no stranger to meat, but she was now considered a predator, and there was plenty of 'meals' all around her. Though she knew that things like berries were a part of fox's diet, and she also knew that Drex would eat just about anything on a plate. If his new body worked just like a dog's then just about anything would be okay with him, she remembered how her dog would always beg to have a piece of whatever it was she would use as an ingredient for a meal. But they weren't animals; they were pokémon, a far cry from the animals she was familiar with..

"What was that?" Applejack asked hearing her mumble.

"Oh, nothing, just money problem is all." She quickly lied.

"Well if ya want, Ah can see if you and yer friend can stay at our barn until ya both find a place fer yourselves. Ah'm sure Granny'd let the both of ya." The farm pony said, eyeing her suspiciously, not believing that whole truth.

Before Allison could thank her for the offer Rarity spoke up. "Applejack! Though that is very kind of you, we simply cannot let a woman with such a glistening coat sleep in a musty old barn. Allison, there's a guest room in my Boutique with a comfortable bed if you'd prefer. I'm sure it would be much softer than a pile of hay. Though unfortunately there would be no room for your friend."

"Thank you for the offer Rarity, but in truth I think I'll take Applejack's offer instead."

"Well, alright. But if you change your mind you come straight to me." Rarity huffed trying not to look hurt.

"So when will Fluffy be back anyway? If you two are going to stay in Ponyville I have to give you both a party!" Pinkie Pie asked excitedly.

"Good question, he's never gone this long." Allison looked out the window, beginning to worry. He had been gone for nearly two hours and the sun was another two away from setting. "Maybe we should go make sure hasn't caused any problems to anyone in the town. Alright girls, you all know what to look for: big, orange, and creating a spectacle of himself." The seven girls walk out the library to start searching. Twilight decided to search alongside Allison.

"So, what's Drex like?" Twilight asked as they searched the park.

"Well, as you've seen, he can be an idiot at times, but that's more so his style. He's not like that all the time; it's just how he handles stress, tension, and whenever anyone's depressed."

"He must like making people happy then," Allison didn't answer immediately. She thought back to all the bad times when someone was troubled, and how Drex would always put on his clown mask and try and make them better. "Laughter is the best medicine after all." he once said to her.

"Yeah, he really does. But when he's not a goof, he can be rather cheerful and relaxed." Her expression saddened a little as she thought back to the worst time in his life, the reason why he's a joker at times. "But he won't ever let anyone else make him feel better. It always has to be him, even when he himself is depressed. As you saw before he ran off, it's because he wouldn't let any of us try and cheer him up. He had to do it himself."

"Why?" Twilight asked confused by that logic.

"It's not my place to talk about that, and I think it best if you don't ask him either, let him tell you if he decides. Why do you ask?"

Twilight bit the bottom of her lip, trying to figure out how to phrase it delicately. "I noticed how everypony was talking about you two behind your backs as we went to the train station. He didn't seem to mind what they said. But back in Canterlot, I could see how his expression changed from hearing the ponies there. And then when he confronted those colts and how they talked about you..." She trailed off, not sure how to put the rest of it gently. They soon found themselves walking through the market square, and every eye was on the pair. Or on Allison to be more specific.

"Drex has... always been the most loyal of friends anyone could ask for. And not just me, but to everyone he knows. He's one of those guys that won't care what you say about him, he'll just laugh it off and walk away, not giving it a second thought. But say one word about his friends, and he goes ape shit. It gets him into quite a bit of trouble at times though."

"So when he heard those colts talking about you, he wouldn't let it pass?" Twilight asked. Allison nodded her head. "So that’s why had his expression changed so much. Because they were talking about you." This time Allison shakes her head.

"Not just because of that, he’s not a big fan of pe- ponies with a snobby or holier-than-thou attitude."

"Why's that?"

Allison sighed, not because she was annoyed of all the questions, but because of how carefully she had to answer them. Still, it helped her stop worrying about him. "Because in our history class back in school, he saw the rich and powerful were the worst type. No matter what era, what place, or what ethnic background it was, it was always the rich who profited by oppressing the poor. And because we were in the heart of poverty at the time with all the snobs looking down on us, it probably just reminded him of our history."

Twilight found that curious. Drex and Allison said their home was well hidden, yet it seemed to be very large. She presumed it to be one city, possibly well hidden underground. Yet ethnic backgrounds meant that there were multiple places. Before she could ask any further she was interrupted by yet another non-pony friend of hers.

"Well this day is full of surprises, and here is yet another new face that arises." They turned around to find the zebra Zecora greeting them. She had a bag over her back with a few supplies in it.

"Oh, hello Zecora, I thought you did your shopping two weeks ago. It's uncommon to see you in town more than once a month." Twilight greeted back, happy to see her.

"Yes, but those were supplies for one, I have met a stranger who is now unable to run. He is a strange in this land much like myself, and now I need more ingredients to fill my shelf." The zebra answered in her rhyming fashion.

"Wait, strange like us? You mean not pony, right?" Zecora nodded her head, "and when you mean that he is unable to run, do you mean that he's been hurt?" She nodded again. "Okay, one last questions for you: is he big and has orange fur with black stripes like yours?"

"Yes, he is just as you have described him to be, with fur of those colours and a great injury. You must be friends of my patient, would you like to know his position of current?" She asked.

"Yes, I would!" Allison replied, her worry for Drex had just increased immensely.

"Timberwolves attacked him in a pack of five. Your friend is lucky to be alive. Follow me as I return home, but stay close for it is not safe to roam.” They quickly followed Zecora closely as she left to her home in the Everfree forest. She was familiar with the forest and was not worried about being attacked; she had learned many techniques from keeping unwanted predators away. One thing was puzzling Allison on there walk to Zecora's place, why had Drex decided to picked a fight with timberwolves? He would always do something brash, but nothing stupid.

Allison was astonished at Zecora's hut as it came into view; it looked both enchanting and eerie at the same time. And inside was even more impressive. "He is in here having a rest while I treat his wounds to my best."

"Zecora, that you?" Drex's voice came from another room. "Thanks again for helping out, and again, I'm really sorry about getting blood on some of your sheets."

"What?!" Allison shrieked running into the room where Drex was, fearing that his injuries were far worse than she had previously thought. But here fears withdrew a little when she saw him, still in a bad condition though.

"Oh shit." Drex replied seeing his friend burst into the room. He was lying on a bed wrapped in bandages. His upper torso was wrapped in tightly along with his left arm going from shoulder to elbow. More bandages wrapped his right leg and pads were placed over a few spots where they most likely covered more wounds.

"Whoa, what happened to you?" Twilight asked stepping into the room.

"Eh, got into a fight with a few timberwolves." He shrugged like it was no big deal. "Geez those buggers are nasty. You know the saying 'his bark is worse than his bite'? Yeah well, their bark and bite are around fifty-fifty." Allison walked up to him struck him over the head. It was difficult to do without a fist, but it got the message through. "Ow, what was that for?"

"For being an idiot!" She roared. "You're such an imbecile, you know that? What were you thinking when you ran off? And what in heaven possessed you to pick a fight with timberwolves?"

Drex looked away; a feeling of shame was on his face. "Max," he uttered the single name. Allison couldn't argue with or say anything back. Of course it was Max he would be thinking of, who else could it have been?

"Uh, Drex?" Allison asked as her nose crinkles. "What's that smell?"

"It's the salve Zecora put on my injuries. It’s supposed to help close the wounds quicker and null the pain. But it leaves a terrible odour." Drex answered, cringing at the smell too. Twilight followed suite and covered her nose with her hoof as the smell penetrated her nostrils.

"Do not worry yourself about the scent, I can make a new salve that is not so pungent." Zecora reassured him then scrunched her own nose like everyone else. "And I best start that soon, not even I am immune."

"Thank you Zecora," Allison said to the shaman. "May I ask how long he'll have to stay?"

"Do not fret over the time this will take, my new salve does not take that long to make." Zecora reassured her. "But while you wait for me to finish mixing the cure, he can tell you the fight which he was forced to endure."

"Yeah, how did you end up in this position? And what happened to the timberwolves?" Twilight asked as she walked up to his bedside, standing with Allison. Drex's eyes lit up a little bit, happy to be able to tell his adventure.

"Well, it went along the lines like this..."

Author's Note:

Check it out everyone. I was bumming around the internet when I stumbled upon this picture:

I wonder how many of the people who don't like Alicorn Twilight would prefer 'Princess Arcanine' instead?