• Published 17th Jan 2012
  • 1,325 Views, 1 Comments

Uncharted Equestria - Synclair



Uncharted and Ponies?! Neighthan Drake is at it again, this time with a young colt companion!

  • ...
2
 1
 1,325

Chapter 1 - Bad News

1 – Bad News

Clairvoyant was in the living room playing the grand piano. He had been sitting there and playing all night without rest, waiting for the arrival of his father. Now he was sitting there waiting for the Princesses to arrive. Apparently they needed to deliver some news and Clairvoyant knew, he just knew that this was about his father. His father left the safety of their Canterlot manor for a ‘once in a life time’ expedition overseas, away from Equestria.

Clairvoyant hadn’t seen his father for months and like any young colt, he was worried to death about his father.

The white mare approached with weary eyes. She dressed her best for the Princesses.

“Clairvoyant sweetie, you’ve been there all night,” said the mare with a voice full of compassion. “You look tired.”

“Mommy, I’m fine.” Clairvoyant flashed a gleaming smile, showing teeth as white as his coat.

Behind the wall of smiles and giddiness was his sadness and yearning for his father. He knew that the Princesses were coming to deliver news about his father; he also knew that it would be bad news. That knowledge alone made him want to cry and curse the wind. He screwed up a note on the piano and let out a heavy sigh which sunk his mother’s heart.

The door opened on its own. Light flooded in and bounced off the marble flooring and walls, refracting the light in and around the manor. Colorful prisms beamed, shiny surfaces sparkled with cleanliness and Clairvoyant felt as if he was basking in the light of the sun itself. Alas though, it was Celestia with her younger sister Luna by her side. They stepped inside and nodded in acknowledgement as Clairvoyant and his mother bowed.

They stood up, offered the Princesses to take a seat. They refused politely.

“Your husband,” Celestia spoke to Clairvoyant’s mother before turning to him. “Your father.”

There was a brief pause before she continued.

“Clear Sight has not returned and neither has the rest of the expedition team. We… we fear the worst,” Celestia said, her eyes were wet.

“T- This must be a mistake,” said Clairvoyant’s mother. “My husband would never…”

Clairvoyant fell silent. His stomach was a void and he felt his heart sink into oblivion.

“We have tried what we can. We have tried establishing a connection with the team,” said Celestia. “It’s too dangerous to send a team out there knowing the horrors outside the charted oceans of Equestria. They all knew the risks, you knew the risks.”

The words pierced both Clairvoyant and his mother like a frosted arrow and they both raised their hooves to their muzzles in order to suppress a sob. It would have looked comical if it wasn’t so tragic. Celestia seemed so insensitive but her face was filled with grief.

The lights seemed to have dimmed as clouds rolled in from the south, masking the sun. Luna looked out the window and furrowed her brows.

The Princesses said their final apologies before leaving. One of the royal guards stayed behind and kept his blue eyes darting around at the various paintings of alien landscapes and family photos. Clairvoyant’s mother’s head hung low as she trudged up the stairwell with her tears falling carelessly onto the marble. Clairvoyant played a flat chord which sounded like tragedy itself. He wanted to cry. He wanted to die. He felt a comforting foreleg around his neck and then a pat from a hoof.

“I knew your father,” said the royal guard. “Good stallion, always looking for adventure. He knew he might have been biting off more than he could chew with that expedition but he was a very, very stubborn stallion and simply wanted to get out there. Your father was smart, he loved you. He left this for you.”

A silver locket was placed on the keys in front of Clairvoyant. The sculpting of a wreath was on top and Clairvoyant grabbed it in both of his front hooves. With teary-eyes he opened the locket, a picture of his father and him in front of the Canterlot Palace, smiling and laughing in a happier age which seemed like a fantasy. Clairvoyant wrapped his forelegs around the royal guard who tensed at the sudden motion. Eventually he eased back into returning the hug. They froze for what seemed like an eternity until the royal guard had to return to the palace. Before he said farewell, he left a note on the glass coffee table behind the piano. The living room fell into darkness as the clouds grew dark into a storm.

Clairvoyant took the time to recollect his memories and reminisce as he played a completely improvised piece on the piano. Memories of his father nuzzling him goodnight, his father taking care of him when his mother was at work and the best memory of all, his father’s unforgettable smile which made Clairvoyant feel as if the world was okay and that everypony was okay and that death would have to wait another day. He ended the piece with a crescendo which carried the note on until its last vibration. As the silence came, Clairvoyant’s tears fell like a waterfall and he buried his face into his hooves.

* * *

Luna’s curtain drew in. The storm had cleared, revealing the twinkling stars against the sea of purple, blue and black. Clairvoyant pictured the night sky as one big bruise to his heart, but the moon and stars was the magic of healing. His heart rose from the depths of his stomach void but still felt heavy in his chest.

Clairvoyant was sitting in front of the fireplace with a mug of hot chocolate in his hooves. The note from the royal guard was set next to him on the couch. It read: ‘Here if you ever need a friend – Royal Guard, Golden Gust.’

It only reminded Clairvoyant of his depressing social life. His private school was full of snooty fillies and colts that had egos as big as the sun and moon combined. Clairvoyant was often called snooty in his old public school but he couldn’t imagine himself as egotistical as his peers in his private school. Maybe he was pretentious and maybe he didn’t like the idea of getting physical and dirty. He often relied on his unicorn horn and magic for everything. So in retrospect, Clairvoyant wasn’t a very open colt and never made many friends. He thought his father’s fame would net him some respect and likeability but nothing changed. Now his father was gone.

There was a quiet rapping at the door and Clairvoyant focused his magic on the locks. Remembering the greatly intricate teachings his mother had taught him about magic, he unlocked the door with ease. The door swung open slowly and in stepped a tan colored pegasus stallion with a rustic mane. His eyes were deep and intelligent, hazel colored eyes always looked like galaxies to Clairvoyant. Filled with mystery and knowledge.

“Hey there,” said the stallion. “I’m sorry for your loss.”

Clairvoyant blinked the tears away and bit his bottom lip.

“Why are you here?” he finally asked.

The stallion looked surprised. Clairvoyant wasn’t aware how weak his voice was.

“The name’s Neighthan, Neighthan Drake, I’m, uh, sure you heard of me.” He flashed a cheesy smile.

“Kind of an odd name for a pony,” Clairvoyant said.

Neighthan shrugged. “Guess so.”

“My name is-”

“Clairvoyant, I know.”

“How do you-”

“I knew your father. Again, I’m very sorry for your loss. He was a great treasure hunter.”

“I take it you two worked together?”

“Heck yeah, we did. Did he ever tell you about the time we found El Trotado?”

To both ponies’ surprise, Clairvoyant laughed with a nod.

Clairvoyant offered Neighthan a seat and he accepted. Then Clairvoyant offered a drink which Neighthan declined.

“Call me Neight, or Drake,” he said.

“So why are you here?” Clairvoyant asked again, realizing Drake hadn’t answered the question.

Drake looked around, his hazel eyes darting around the room. Clairvoyant looked at the stairs half-expecting his mother to be standing there with a puzzled expression. She was probably asleep. Clairvoyant turned his attention back to Drake who was already setting pieces of paper which had yellowed with age. Brown etchings and sketches were scratched upon them, notes with handwriting that looked like his father’s were placed down next and small stones which glowed from ice blue to deep marine. Clairvoyant’s eyes lit up with fascination.

“I thought your father had given up his treasure hunting hobby after discovering Shangri Llama,” said Drake. “But now he’s been searching for Prancelantis.”

“Prancelantis?” repeated Clairvoyant. “As in, the lost city which fell beneath the ocean?”

Drake nodded.

“So why hasn’t he returned?” Clairvoyant asked, his voice was immediately heavy.

“I… I don’t know,” Drake admitted. “Though we can’t assume the worst. Imagine if your father did find Prancelantis and imagine if he was deep underwater with a unicorn helping him breathe underwater. Maybe that’s interfering with the Princesses’ transmissions, eh?”

Clairvoyant’s heart jumped but he taught himself never to give in to hope. It could easily be crushed.

“I suppose.” Clairvoyant tried his best not to sound too excited. The smile on Drake’s muzzle was proof that he didn’t hide it well enough.

“Why are you telling me this?” Clairvoyant added.

“I’m setting up a team of ponies, an expedition team on a rescue mission. The Princess has funded it for us fully. I just need to assemble some adventurers,” Drake said.

“C- Can I come?” Clairvoyant asked.

Drake sat there. His expression had turned serious.

“I’d rather not, but if you really want to I’m not stopping you. You’ll need to ask your mother,” he said.

With that, Clairvoyant galloped up the marble steps. He bounced down the narrow hallway and entered his parents’ room. His mother was lying in bed, as expected. One thing that caught Clairvoyant’s perceptive eyes though was the orange bottle of pills which had been carelessly placed on the bedside table with its cap lying on the ground.

His mother’s face was tinged a sick blue and Clairvoyant knew that today was not going to be his good day. He rushed forward, grabbing at his mother’s forelegs in an attempt to feel a pulse. He put his head to her chest and one of his hooves in front of her muzzle to see if she was breathing. She was still as stone, cold as ice. With a ragged breath as his start, Clairvoyant gave a loud, deathly shriek before he sobbed. First his father, now his mother.

Dear Celestia have mercy.

Comments ( 1 )

Haven't even read it yet, but insta-track :D

Login or register to comment