• Published 27th Dec 2012
  • 749 Views, 10 Comments

One Hearth's Warming Eve... - CRYST4LCLEAR



Rico moves to Ponyville for his final days. But when he meets a certain pink pony, he finds meaning in his life.

  • ...
3
 10
 749

One Hearth's Warming Eve Part 2

For the past week, Pinkie and Rico have gone closer than ever. Hearth's Warming Eve was tomorrow. And Rico was ready to celebrate with Pinkie and his new friends.

The next day, Rico was at home, working on some paper work sent in by his boss in Yan Hoover. Rico was still recovering from that night. Although he wanted to do that, he did not know it would accelerate so fast. After 2 hours, Rico decided to take a brake. He sat down on the sofa in front of the fireplace. A small window let a beam of light shine on him, warming his neck. He was deep in thought. So deep, he could feel the dust hit his fur. Suddenly, out of nowhere, a huge amount of pain hit his head. He fell off the couch, clutching onto his head. It felt as if something was gnawing at his brain.

He couldn't breathe. His heart felt as if it stopped. He tried to crawl out the door, where hopefully someone would find him. He kept crawling for the door, little pieces of wood poking his stomach as he dragged his body across the living room floor. He knew this day was coming. He knew he would die, but now that he has a girlfriend as well as new friends that adore him, he had so much to live for. He managed to use his magic to twist the door knob and open the door slightly before he finally fainted.

Next thing he knew, he was at the hospital. He was in a hospital robe that matched the curtains. There was a bandage around his head. He looked at a mirror on a drawer next to the bed. The bandage was covering his mane, which made him look almost unrecognizable. Rico looked around. There were balloons, messages, and flowers everywhere. He read through all of them. Only one pony he knew did not send anything. It was Pinkie. Did Pinkie not care about him? The thought made Rico's head hurt again. It pounded harder and harder, up to the point where it felt as though it would explode. Rico's sight began to blur and he again could not breathe. A loud beeping noise sounded off and Rico could breathe again. But his vison was still hazy. Then, a doctor and a nurse walked into the room. Rico's hearing was a little off as well.

"How are we doing toady, Mr. Rico?"

Due to his lack of hearing, Rico simply flapped his ears, hoping that would help.

"Hm... Deafness. This is the third time today."

Rico's hearing began to return. He could now understand. Questions rang through his head.

"Where am I?"

"You are at the Ponyville Hospital. You blacked out after sustaining too much damage to your brain. We have calculated and we have some very grave news. I am sorry, but today is your last day."

"Last day? What are you talking about? You mean here in the hospital?"

"No. In this world."

"What!?"

"Apparently, you have a ringworm in your head, which has been eating away at your brain. However, because you are a unicorn, your brain has been regenerating. But after all these years, your brain became tired."

"Are you saying something inside me has been eating my brain for 200 years?"

"Precisely."

Rico plopped his head back on the pillow. He began to sweat. The doctor spoke again.

"The most you have is about 8 hours."

Rico looked at the clock. It was 10 AM. In 8 hours it would be 6, the time he was supposed to meet Pinkie and her friends to celebrate Hearth's Warming Day. The doctor left the room, but the nurse stayed. Rico began to get out of his bed, but he was quickly stopped by the nurse.

"Where are you going?"

"I have to get out of here! I have to meet my friends!"

"I'm sorry, but you cannot do that. You must stay here. Do you see this machine?"

The nurse motions behind Rico, who turns around and sees a peculiar machine. There were two tubes, both inserted into Rico. One was in his chest, where his lungs were. The other was going through the side of his head.

"This is what's keeping you alive. You detach yourself, you can kiss life goodbye. Well, early, anyway."

Rico growls in anger and bangs the bed.

"Is there anything I can get you?"

"No. Just leave."

"Very well."

She quietly closes the door and leaves Rico by himself in the room. The clock ticks on and on. Not stopping for anything. Time cannot be stopped. It is a speeding train on a mountain. Time is like smoke. Untouchable. Unstoppable. And is everywhere.

Rico was not sure how long he was waiting, but by the time he looked at the clock again, there was only two hours left. His heart was almost out. Again, all his new friends came by almost every hour to cheer me up. And again, the only pony who wasn't there was Pinkie.

With only one hour left, Rico says his final goodbye to his friends and tries to get some sleep. But he was awoken by the sound of a creaking door. Rico looked from his bed to see a pony. It was nighttime, and the snow caused a power outage. The pony brings out a candle. The candle seemed to be a birthday candle. Rico then knew who the pony was.

"I was beginning to think you wouldn't come."

"Before saying goodbye? In your dreams."

The candle was lit, and out of the darkness came her face. Pinkie came over and gave Rico a hug. Only 30 minutes left. For the remainder of his life, Rico talked to Pinkie about the past, their dates, even the first time they met. Pinkie sat by his side on the bed.

"I'm sorry I never got to visit you before. Mr. Cake was so mad with me."

"It's ok. You're here now."

Tears began to run down Rico's cheeks.

"Why are you crying? I should be the one who's crying."

"It's just so great."

"What's great?"

"That I get to spend my last moments with you and only you."

Pinkie gave a weak smile. Rico could tell that she was about to cry as well. Her eyes were watery. Rico put a hoof on her cheek. Pinkie held onto his hoof.

"Don't worry. It's going to be ok..."

"No it's not!"

Rico jumped back from the sudden outburst.

"This is Hearth's Warming Eve! Everypony should be happy on the holidays! It's not fair!"

"Pinkie... Pinkie, look at me."

Pinkie wipes away a tear and looks down at Rico.

"Life isn't fair, but that doesn't mean we have to hate it. All life must end, some shorter than others."

"Y-you're right. I'm going to miss you, Rico. So much..."

"I will too... I love you..."

"I love you too..."

Only one more minute. Rico and Pinkie kissed again, then Rico laid his head down on the pillow. 30 seconds. Right before Rico closed his eyes, Pinkie held his hoof. Rico looked at her.

"I'll never forget when you walked by the shop..."

10 seconds. Rico smiled and closed his eyes. 5 seconds. Rico whispered to Pinkie, "Merry Hearth's Warming, Pinkie..."

Time's up. Rico's hoof became motionless. Pinkie let go and his hoof plopped to the bed. Pinkie began to cry again loudly. She placed her head on his chest. She didn't hear a single heartbeat.

In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away
- Shing Xiong

The End

Comments ( 8 )

Many manly tears are being shed:raritycry::raritycry::raritycry::raritycry::raritycry::raritycry::raritycry:

1861674
No, no. You're not being rude at all. Thanks for that. Never noticed the e. Please, if you see any other mistakes, please comment so I can fix it. :twilightsmile:

I like the part where it says the Chinese thing. That hit me. :pinkiesad2:

1880300
Thank you! I didn't know how else to end the book, so I just searched up a quote and put it down.

Make some more romance, Twister. :heart: Do one with Ditzy Doo. :derpyderp2: They are my favorite. If you want, you can ask me for help on it when you get stuck. Just give me a message, and I'll help you out with it, then let you continue.
P.S: Could you do the same for my story? If not, thats o.k.

1905020
Sorry. This is my Christmas special story. I won't be making a sequel to this. And romance isn't really up my alley. However, the Ditzy Doo story will be taken into consideration. But due to my current book in progress, I may not start on it for a long time. If you wouldn't mind helping me out with my current story, I will be able to finish a lot faster and get to work on your suggestion! And what do you mean could I do the same for your story? Do you mean do the same story plot, but with Ditzy instead?

1905020
Actually, I may make more romance, I dunno. I'll get to work and see if that comes up. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Login or register to comment