• Published 25th Dec 2012
  • 6,864 Views, 552 Comments

Paper Mario: The Land of Harmony - Blade Squall



Mario & friends travel to Equestria for a vacation. Unfortunately, bad stuff happens. Now, Mario, Spike, and six new heroes have to save the Elements of Harmony... and Peach. Oh, and everything's made of paper. Have fun!

  • ...
10
 552
 6,864

Chapter 2 Interlude

-PEACH-

Canterlot— Mushroom Kingdom/Sarasaland Embassy

Whenever the Mushroom Kingdom Princess ever was kidnapped or otherwise held against her will, there was usually a point that the kidnapping got to a dull moment. While being trapped in Canterlot was more of a “held against her will” situation, it still had gotten rather boring waiting for news from Mario’s adventures.

This did not mean, of course, she couldn’t play a card game with Princess Celestia, Toadsworth, and Luna.

“So,” Celestia asked as she sat across the table from the Mushroom Princess, “this is what getting kidnapped feels like after a while? I’ll admit it’s kind of… dull.”

“You mean you’ve never been kidnapped before?” Peach asked, placing a card down.

“I’m afraid not,” Celestia answered. “Well, at least, not this long. Sure my sister may or may not have sealed me in the Sun for a brief moment as Nightmare Moon, but that was only for a few hours at most.”

“I thought I apologized for that, sister,” Luna remarked. “I could have sworn I spent a month after Nightmare Moon saying I’m sorry for the irony after you sealed me in the Moon for 1000 years.”

“And I have forgiven you, apologizing myself for doing what I did,” Celestia replied. Turning back to Peach, she continued, “And sure, a Changeling Queen powered up by pure love from my Captain of the Guard on his wedding day to my niece overpowered me, but again, I was only trapped for a few hours at most.”

“But what about this King Sombra brute who had something like this in his arsenal before being overthrown?” Toadsworth asked as he placed one of his own cards on the table.

“Sombra was cunning, I will give him that,” Celestia replied. “He was incredibly powerful… but at the same time, incredibly evil. I could never understand his motives, but he planned to conquer much of Equestria… he actually almost succeeded. But now, he’s gone… and Sirius Nebula is the next major threat planning to bring back the Nightmare.”

“With King Sombra’s magic, no less,” Luna added. “But I don’t understand, sister, is how he has access to Sombra’s magic in the first place.”

“Hmm,” Peach thought about it for a moment. Luna brought up a good point. How COULD Sirius had gained Sombra’s brand of magic to use in his attack on Canterlot?

Sirius was a student!
Sirius had help!
Sirius is a master thief!

“Maybe Sirius was a student at Princess Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns!” Peach declared, looking at Celestia. “Perhaps he feels that he was neglected by you and could be doing this for revenge!” The Alicorn in question blinked. “Um, no offense intended, Princess Celestia.”

“None taken,” she said after shaking her head. “But I’m afraid that your guess in not very likely, Princess Peach. I tend to meet a lot of my potential students in person at least once during their time in the school. Even though Twilight is my personal protégé, I would have recognized his name and face if he was one of my students. I may be old, Princess, but I’m not forgetful.”

“Not to mention that if he WAS a student there,” Luna added, “there would have been records of him in the school.”

Peach looked disappointed at the incorrect assumption. But she still had two more feasible guesses.

Sirius had help!
Sirius is a master thief!

“Perhaps Sirius is a thief,” Peach suggested. “He snuck into your Starswirl the Bearded wing and stole Sombra’s records!”

“That would be a viable option, Princess Peach,” Celestia agreed. “However, didn’t you and Princess Luna visit there recently?”

“The royal Librarians take frequent inventory checks,” Luna announced. “If information on King Sombra was checked out or stolen, it would have been in their reports. Furthermore, if he was a master thief, then why would he have needed an army to attack the Tower of the Elements? There was less security around due to the party, so he would have had the perfect opportunity to steal the Elements. I’m sorry, sister, but that has not been the case.”

“This is why I leave you with most of the paperwork,” the elder Alicorn giggled. “You were always better at it than I was…”

“I’ve noticed,” the younger smiled back. “I’ve seen your work with the kingdom’s annual taxes… no comment.”

Peach had to resist the urge to giggle, but thought about how Sirius could have pulled off getting Sombra’s magic.

Sirius had help!

“I know it’s weird, but perhaps Sirius had someone on the inside helping him get Sombra’s information,” Peach thought aloud. “You know, like a spy?” Celestia and Luna looked at each other, surprised.

“A spy in Canterlot?” Toadsworth asked. “Surely, Princess, you jest! That would be preposterous!”

“I don’t know,” Celestia replied. “It’s been done before.” Toadsworth and Peach both looked at the Sun Princess. “You both remember how I mentioned the Changeling Queen and the wedding, right? You see, Changelings are a race of pony shaped bugs who happen to be shape shifters and feed off of positive emotions such as love. They can easily infiltrate anyplace in Equestria, even fooling myself. Their Queen managed to take on the form of my niece Cadance right at a wedding… most ponies wrote it off as wedding stress, but not my student, who has known Cadance since she was a filly. My point is that it’s possible Sirius has somepony infiltrating our ranks. Somepony high enough in power to gain access to Sombra’s information, especially his dark magic. However, we need more evidence before we start pointing hooves.”

“It’s a start,” Luna nodded. “Well played, Princess Peach. We probably have something to look into while we’re trapped in Canterlot waiting for good news. At least it’s better than playing cards or tennis all of the time.”

“I like tennis, though,” Peach sighed. “But if you all think that’s bad, we could always play soccer…”

“Oh good heavens no!” Toadsworth cringed. Soon enough, purple and green smoke passed the old Toad, manifesting a scroll next to Celestia. “Hooray for good news from our Dragon ending this talk of extreme soccer!”

Celestia and Luna both looked at Toadsworth with a legitimately confused stare. However, they went back to the letter.

Dear Everypony,

It took a long hike up, down, and inside a mountain, through a dark wood, and past a giant Owlbear that was brainwashed into attacking us in Fillydelphia, but we did it! We have the Element of Loyalty, as well as its Temporary Bearer, Diggsie. She’s a little eccentric for a Diamond Dog, but she’s alright. We now fought Night Fortune.

The Spirit of Loyalty said something that made me worried, though. She said that she sensed that I’m conflicted about all of this… and I think she’s right. On one claw, I’m doing all of this to save Twilight, Rarity, and the others… but on the other claw, I can’t help but feel that I’m betraying them by giving their Elements to somepony who a day or two ago was a complete stranger. I keep asking myself if I’m doing the right thing by allowing the Elements to be used like this and hoping for the best. I hope Twilight, Rarity, Rainbow, Applejack, Fluttershy, and Pinkie don’t take it the wrong way.

Mario wants me to ask you to keep an eye on his friends and brother. He knows that they aren’t in any immediate danger, but he wants to let them know that they’re always in his thoughts.

Sincerely,

Spike

P.S.,

Princess Peach was married to Bowser?

“Spikey-wikey is really taking this hard,” Peach sighed. “He’s conflicted about his role with helping the Bearers but feels that he’s doing something wrong.”

“This is why I’m worried for him,” Celestia declared. “Spike might become a great adventurer in the future, but right now he is barely a child in Dragon years. He has only really known Twilight and the other Bearers as the ones who wielded the Elements, and went into this adventure expecting to be the true hero… and now has to risk the trust of his closest friends, not knowing whether or not they will feel betrayed by his need to allow others to use their Elements."

“‘Spikey-wikey’, Princess?” Toadsworth questioned.

“I’m sorry, but the nickname Rarity called him was so adorable!” Peach argued.

“But what was this about you being married?” Luna asked.

“That sham was NOT a wedding!” the Mushroom Princess insisted. “I was brainwashed and forced into that marriage, there was no marriage contract, and that wedding was so wrong that it started the apocalypse! And technically, we both ‘died’, so even though we all got better, that marriage is void!” Calming down, Peach sighed in relief. “Anyway, it doesn’t matter. We should tell Daisy, Luigi, Toad, Toadette, and Yoshi about Mario and Spike’s progress.” She then realized something. “Where ARE they, anyways?”

---

Canterlot Caverns— LUIGI

“So,” the Sarasaland Princess asked the guard next to her, Luigi, Yoshi, Toad, and Toadette, “this is the entrance to the Canterlot Caverns?” Daisy was looking at a small set of crystals before an entrance to a cave.

“Well, yes,” the guard nodded. “To be honest, Princess, not too many ponies have explored these caverns… what do you plan on finding?”

“A way out,” Daisy said, walking to the crystal stalagmites and touching them. “Okay… we’re good. Luigi, Yoshi, I’m probably gonna need your help once we’re in. Toad, Toadette, can you go back to the Embassy why we go in here? Just in case Peach and Toadsworth are worried where we are.”

“Uh, Princess?” the guard asked. “My own squad couldn’t get through these… how are you going to get through.”

“Simple,” Daisy answered. “I press and hold the Y Button like so…” As if on cue, Daisy pulled back her arm as if she was about to throw a punch. However, as she did so, her arm seemed to begin to get covered in an orange-yellow crystal. The next thing the guard knew, Daisy said, “And when I build enough power like this, just release the Y Button!” Soon enough, the crystal covered fist was thrown at the stalagmites, smashing all of the crystals with ease.

“Wow, Daisy!” Yoshi cheered. “You still have that?”

“I brought my Striker gear just in case someone wanted to play soccer,” the Sarasaland Princess confessed. “However, I can’t smash through the bigger crystals, so Luigi, try avoiding those.”

“What?” Luigi asked in timid shock. “Me?” Daisy put her hand on her hips.

“Well, yeah! You’re leading us in!” With an innocent pout, Daisy asked, “After all, we don’t know what’s down there. You’ve fought and defeated the king of all Boos, so escorting an innocent Princess and her beloved dinosaur sidekick shouldn’t be too difficult in comparison…”

Yoshi looked at Daisy, confused. “My species is dinosaurs? I thought we were some kind of cousin to Dragons… except with funnier stomachs and weirder reproductive systems.”

“Too much information, Yoshi,” Daisy said, patting him on the nose.

Luigi meanwhile thought about what Daisy said. On one hand, he knew from personal experience that Daisy was far from innocent or defenseless… her sports career and tomboyish nature spoke volumes against either of those, and she flat out admitted to bringing one of her gloves from their soccer games (which usually involved electric fences, Bob-Ombs, Koopa shells, and a trip to the hospital if you were lucky). On the other hand, those caves were dark… kind of like the many mansions Luigi had to go through hunting ghosts for Professor E. Gadd in order to save the world (and Mario). Luigi wondering if leaving Polterpup with Gadd was a good idea aside, the green plumber realized Daisy was counting on him… and giving him the same pout aforementioned Polterpup did when he wanted to play.

“…Okay, I’ll do it,” Luigi declared. “Let’s-a go!” Without any warning, Luigi jumped into the cavern, leaving Daisy, Yoshi, the guard, and the two Toads standing there, each with different expressions on their faces. Toad and Toadette just stared in shock of Luigi’s sudden burst of courage. The guard blinked in confusion. Yoshi gapped in awe. But Daisy? She just had the biggest smirk on her face, as if she knew this would happen.

“Works every time,” she smiled. “Okay, let’s go, Yoshi.” The green reptile snapped out of his shock and followed the Sarasaland Princess straight into the cave. Toad and Toadette looked at each other.

“So, when we get back to Toadsworth whose gonna give us an earful for letting Daisy convince Yoshi and Luigi to go in that hole with her,” Toadette asked, “who’s gonna be the messenger?”

“I was hoping it’d be you,” Toad answered. “That way, I’d have at least a ten second head start before he blows his stack.”

“Why can’t you both tell him?” the guard asked. “I’m going to be staying here with a rescue party in case they don’t come out in two hours, so I’m technically doing my job.”

Meanwhile, in the cave, Luigi held up a flashlight that Daisy had given him. “Okay, here we go!” the plumber commented. He then turned to Daisy, realizing what she got him to do. “Oh… I see… oh dear.”

“Don’t worry,” Daisy assured him. “Yoshi and I are right behind you. You can use the Right Stick to guide the light around. We just need to explore where this cave goes and see if we can make an escape route. Perhaps even look for clues as to how Sirius made his move on the Elements.”

“Well, what am I here for?” Yoshi asked. “Moral support and comic relief?”

“Well, that and to use your tongue where Luigi taps on the Touch Screen. You can probably cling onto certain things that we won’t be able to move on our own. If you do this, I’ll take you to the nearest fruit stand once we’re done.”

“Oh, okay!” Yoshi grinned. “Here we go!”

Luigi reluctantly led the group through the Canterlot Caverns with Daisy smashing crystals that got in their way and Luigi hopping over obstacles, activating underground switches so Daisy (who was nowhere near as good at jumping as either of her green friends) could get through. Eventually, they noticed a small handle shaped crystal in the wall. When Luigi pointed it out, Yoshi pulled it, revealing a new platform that could allow them to head upwards into the mountainside.

Eventually, though, they emerged into a large area of the cave that was walled off by crystals, but had holes that allowed outside air to flow in. “It’s a dead end!?” Daisy asked, annoyed. “Ugh, just when I thought we were close to getting out of here!”

While Daisy was voicing her irritation, Luigi looked around. He noticed horseshoe marks in dried mud on the ground. In fact, they were all over. “Daisy… I think we have a clue.” The Sarasaland Princess and Yoshi looked at the marks in curiosity.

“These look about a week old,” Daisy remarked. “Unfortunately, that’s an estimate. Judging by these markings, I’d say someone was in full retreat, and escaped through this way. A lot of someones.”

“But I thought that nobody ever went into the Canterlot Caverns,” Luigi recalled while Yoshi walked away from the two. Daisy shook her head.

“No, the guard said ‘not too many ponies EXPLORED the Canterlot Caverns’. Someone here in Canterlot knew the caves very well to navigate a large group through it without anyone being caught. Well, it’s a clue as to how they managed to get an entire army out of Canterlot before it was sealed.”

“Guys!” Yoshi called over, looking at the crystals. “I found something.” Yoshi held up a torn piece of a black and blue cape. “Isn’t this part of a Nocturne Cultist cloak?” Daisy and Luigi gasped.

“It is!” Daisy nodded. “Luigi, I think we found a clue!” She then walked over to him and kissed the green plumber on the cheek. Luigi’s face turned redder than Mario’s hat.

“Um… t-t-t-thanks, Daisy… but what was that for?”

“For agreeing to come down here with me and Yoshi,” Daisy replied. “We probably could not have gotten through this and find these clues without you.” Turning to the crystals keeping them locked in, she said, “Well, we can conclude without a doubt that the Colts of Nocturne used the caves as their escape route. Although I would have liked to have this route opened up, this clue is a lot more than we had before. We better take this back to Peach, Celestia, and Luna.”

---

Mushroom Kingdom/Sarasaland Embassy

“LUIGI, YOSHI, HOW COULD YOU!?” Toadsworth scolded the man in green as soon as he checked over Daisy. Immediately after they returned, the old steward fussed over the Sarasaland Princess’ well being, much to her embarrassment. Peach had offered a mild, “Now you know how I feel” in response. “YOU NOT ONLY ALLOWED PRINCESS DAISY TO WANDER INTO POTENTIAL DANGER, BUT YOU ENCOURAGED IT!”

"Um... sorry, Toadsworth..." Luigi trembled.

"Lighten up," Daisy suggested. "I can handle myself... remember the time I slapped Bowser out of my way. He's NEVER gone after me!"

“Toadsworth, you must calm yourself,” Celestia insisted. “Take a few deep breaths… Princess Daisy is unharmed by her venture into the caverns. In fact, she did a lot to confirm Princess Peach’s hypothesis. I regret not listening to Cadance’s insistence of having patrols in the Canterlot Caverns… perhaps we could have caught the Colts of Nocturne.”

“So, we really did have a spy during the attack,” Luna concluded. “This is tragic, but remarkably well played by Sirius Nebula. While I dislike his goal of bringing my evil form back to life and giving it flesh and blood of its own, I cannot help but admit he has great cunning to play where our defenses are the weakest: inside the caverns and during the party honoring your arrival.”

“So, what now?” Peach asked. “Do we report this to Mario?”

“I don’t think Mario and Spike should worry themselves too much of a spy in Canterlot,” Celestia declined. “They’re already doing great work with the Elements of Harmony. Adding discovering the identity of a spy is best left to us. For now, let’s let them know that we’re doing the best we can to find clues about the Colts of Nocturne, and send some encouraging words Spike’s way.”

“Princess Celestia!” a masculine voice spoke. Soon enough, the door opened, revealing a Toad guard. “Your Majesty, we’ve received word that Shining Armor has requested an audience with you towards the south entrance of the city.”

“Shining Armor?” Celestia asked. “Well, I guess that letter will have to wait. I’ll meet with Shining Armor.” Celestia then walked out, leaving the group hoping for the best.

-BOWSER-

Skies over Equestria

Bowser’s massive airship armada had arrived over Equestria an hour ago. Bowser, being the Koopa King, laughed while looking down at the new, conquerable country from the bow of his ship.

“GWAA-HA-HA!” Bowser chuckled. “So this is Equestria? Seems like a happy marshmallow and cotton candy land!”

“Ooh, are we playing Candy Land?” Lemmy asked. “I love Candy Land!”

“We’ll play later,” Junior told his crazy brother. “Iggy, this IS Equestria, right?”

“According to the Koopa databanks, yeah,” Iggy replied, looking at a computer. “Land of talking pastel ponies… has opened up official trade with the Mushroom Kingdom and Sarasaland… ruled by two Alicorn sisters— winged Unicorns for Roy.”

“Hey!” the aforementioned Koopaling scowled at his brother. "Just because I use my brawn all of the time doesn't mean I'm THAT dumb!"

“And it says here there’s six magical artifacts with ridiculous power known as ‘the Elements of Harmony’.”

This got Bowser’s attention. “Elements of Harmony? Sound like they would be good world-conquering tools if they weren’t so badly named. When we get ’em, let’s call them the ‘Elements of Bowser’! Where are they?”

“But King Dad,” Wendy whined, “I thought you said you wouldn’t take work with us!”

“I can mix business with pleasure,” the Koopa King smiled. “Don’t worry… depending on what Kammy says, it’ll be a quick smash-and-grab, then we find Princess Peach and then we have our vacation. I’m sure there’s a castle or two that’s up for grabs while we wait.”

“You’re in luck, Your Busyness!” Kammy declared as she flew over on her broomstick. “It turns out that the official location for the Elements of Harmony happens to be where the Toads we interrogated said Princess Peach would be spending her vacation. The capital city of Equestria: Canterlot.”

“…It’s surprisingly a better name than Koopalot,” Bowser gave it after a bit. ‘When we conquer the world, this city’s name is totally staying the way it is. Not sure about the rest of the place though. Kamek, you go around the country and look up city names… tell me if you hear any that interest you.”

“Of course, Your Curiousness,” Kamek nodded. With that, the male Magikoopa flew off.

“Can I be Regent of Equestria when you take over the world, King Dad?” Morton asked aloud. “I promise to rule with an iron fist… and I kind of want to ride the ponies.”

“No way!” Wendy protested. “This is a girl’s paradise… though I’ll need several hunky Hammer Bro bodyguards, I can rule this country a lot better than Morton can… and I'll ride the ponies.”

“Are you both serious?” Roy scowled. “It should be obvious that I’d be a better dictator than either of you! I have the muscle to back it up.”

“But you lack the brain TO rule, Mr. Brawn and Pink Sunglasses,” Larry replied. “I should rule this place for King Dad.”

“You take that back, Larry!” Roy yelled. “Pink’s a manly color!”

“That and you also want to ride on the ponies,” Wendy accused.

“Enough, all of you,” Ludwig interrupted. “Ve vill decide zis Regent business and riding on ponies later. Because, let’s be honest, here, vho DOESN’T feel the temptation to ride ze ponies? Right now, ve should focus on ze Princess and ze Elements… and prepare for Mario. Ve vill inevitably face him vhile ve are here.”

“Ludwig, dude!” a new voice shouted. Soon enough, four Ninjakoopas— Red, Yellow, Green, and Black— jumped out and landed next to the Koopalings. After a flashy thumbs-up pose, Red said, “You gotta let us take on Mario for you! You just gotta!”

“He’s got a lot to answer for!” Green agreed.

“He kicked us out of our super-cool Fortress!” Black recalled.

“Not to mention sicced a bratty Koopa wearing an egg shell on us instead of fighting us like a real man!” Yellow added.

“You know, speaking of Jr. Troopa,” Iggy recalled, “maybe we should have gotten HIM on our big hit squad. Junior, why didn’t we get Jr. Troopa?”

“Because he’s a complete renegade lone-wolf loose cannon that was impossible to convince to join,” Bowser Jr. answered. “Seriously, he said, ‘Nice try, chubby little Daddy’s Boy, but Jr. Troopa doesn’t work for anybody, not even for defeating Mario! Mario is mine alone to defeat!’ He then proceeded to try to fight me… he’s beyond rational thought. I guess this is what happens when you grow up with a huge grudge over something petty. But the real kicker is that he called me 'Chubby! I'm not chubby... am I?”

“Okay, that’s something that will definitely bite us in the tail later,” Iggy acknowledged. “Let’s just hope he never gets to Equestria while we’re here. Anyway, Koopa Bros., you’re still on standby.”

“Aw…” Red groaned. “That’s so LAME!”

“We’re approaching Canterlot, Your Nastiness,” Kammy reported.

“Good,” Bowser grinned. “Time for a Koopa King airdrop!”

“Wait, airdrop?” Kammy asked. “You mean you’re going down there? You do realize we couldn't pack your Clown Car, right?”

“Yeah, but I’ve fallen into black holes and a SUN and came out okay. I've come back from the dead at least three times. Anyways, we’re getting off track. I’ll move faster on my own. Furthermore, I’ll scare the locals making an entrance like that.”

“Do you even remember how to do these platforming segments?” Kammy asked.

“Of course I know how!” the Koopa King responded. “I’ve been doing things like this since we went multiverse hopping. Anyway, here we go! Bowser Airdrop!” Without any warning, Bowser jumped off the airship, leaving his children and Kammy stunned by his reckless behavior, except for Lemmy.

“King Dad!” he yelled down. “If you find any good riding ponies, can you bring one back? Please?” Everyone looked at the rather kooky Koopa. “What?”

---

Canterlot Outskirts

Bowser landed on the ground, startling several ponies who had chosen to make the rather foolish mistake of traveling the route today. “GWAA-HA-HA-HA! RUN, MY LITTLE PONIES! YOUR NEW KING IS HERE!”

The ponies did not need to be told twice. Bowser looked around, and grumbled at the fact that he had messed up his jump. Well, no sense in stopping now. Canterlot, the Elements, and Peach were all just up ahead. Stomping through the route, Bowser put the 2-D platforming that he learned from studying Mario to good use. Through the adventuring he had to do during the crisis with the Dark Prognosticus, Bowser had to do a lot of this for a living. It wasn’t much difficult, considering that was pretty much what he was doing, here.

However, some of the ponies, local Goombas, and local Koopas that weren’t on his side decided to attack him. This proved to be a terrible mistake… for them. Well, the ponies were excused as they probably never heard of Bowser… or expected a giant, spiky-shelled Koopa to be able to breathe fire. Everyone else was just stupid. After putting a lot of fools in their place, Bowser soon reached the gates to Canterlot… only to see a group of either golden or blue armored ponies standing in front of a giant black crystal barricade, their backs all turned to Bowser. Some of the blue armored ponies had leathery bat wings, which surprised Bowser, but he remembered they were a rare type of Pegasus pony called “Thestral”.

The leader of these armored ponies who was paying no attention to Bowser was a white furred Unicorn stallion with blue hooves and a striped blue mane. He wore dark purple armor, the helmet completely removed. The mark on his flank, something that Bowser noticed all ponies seemed to have, was a blue shield with a pink six-pointed star.

“Princess Celestia,” he spoke to the crystals, “are you there?”

“Yes, Shining Armor,” a voice on the other side answered. “How goes the hunt for the Colts of Nocturne on the outside?”

“I’ll be honest,” the stallion, Shining Armor, reported. “It’s very difficult tracking a cult of ponies who happen to keep their identities so secret. They could be anypony… and their base of operations is almost impossible to track.”

“…I can tell you’re frustrated,” Celestia said after a moment. “This matter is personal to you.”

“Of course it is,” Shining nodded. “This Sirius Nebula guy… he has Twily, sealed my hometown of Canterlot and everypony in it, and it’s getting harder to keep my parents from knowing this every passing day. I don’t think I’ve slept well ever since we heard about this. Neither has Cadance. She misses my sister just as much as I do.”

“That is unfortunate to hear,” Celestia replied. “I wish I could comfort my niece in a time like this.”

“Princess,” Shining Armor questioned, “if I may ask… you know the Crystal Empire has the Crystal Heart, which, if fully charged, could easily destroy this barricade. I know Mario and Spike are on the case for the Elements, but this would allow you, Princess Luna, and Princess Peach’s entourage to take full part in this investigation. Why don’t you want us to bring it to here?”

“Crystal Heart?” Bowser whispered, confused. “Wait… did he mention Princess Peach?”

“Shining Armor,” Celestia explained, “there are a few reasons why I do not wish for immediate rescue via the Crystal Heart. One reason is Princess Peach would become a target should she be able to leave Canterlot… in fact, all of Mario’s friends would be. The Colts of Nocturne would probably dislike Mario interfering with their plans and would want to make sure he stops through any means necessary. The second reason is if their plans involve Nightmare Moon, the Colts of Nocturne would most likely involve Princess Luna. I’d rather my own sister protected in case they do go after her. The third and most critical reason is I feel that the Crystal Heart is our last resort.

“It would be too easy to use the Crystal Heart since its power alone can almost match the Elements of Harmony… but the Colts of Nocturne have used Sombra’s magic to cause this, so they no doubt know of the Crystal Heart. They could attempt to intercept the Crystal Heart on its way here. Even if Mario and Spike manage to obtain all six of the Elements of Harmony scattered through Equestria, if the Colts of Nocturne get their hooves on the Crystal Heart, they will have an advantage. It is easier to protect the Crystal Heart and by extension our last hope in the Crystal Empire.”

“…Very well,” Shining Armor nodded. “I’ll trust you with this decision. What of Mario and Spike’s progress with recovering the Elements?”

“So far, Mario and Spike have recovered two Elements of Harmony from Appleloosa and Fillydelphia,” Celestia answered. “Unfortunately, we don’t know where the other Elements are located.”

“I see,” Shining sighed. “So, what now?”

“Now, I suggest you and Cadance take some time off the investigation and clear your heads. Perhaps tell your parents what has become of your sister... and inform them I offer my sincerest condolences. I know it is not much, but it’s all I can do, and they know that I really do care for Twilight. Your parents are in Los Pegasus for the Daring Do reboot, right?”

“Yes, they are. I just hope they’ll take the news gently. Anything else, Princess?”

“Nothing right now,” Celestia replied. “You are dismissed, Captain.” Shining Armor gave the crystal barricade a salute, before turning towards his fellow members of the guard… and Bowser.

“Hey,” Shining asked, looking at the Koopa King. “Who are you?”

“You mean you ponies have never heard of me?” Bowser laughed. “I’m Bowser, King of the Koopas! You ought to be quaking in your horseshoes, Purple Armor! Now, what’s this about Princess Peach and Mario?”

“Okay, five things,” Shining scowled. “One, my name is ‘Shining Armor’. Two, I quake to nopony, not even a giant turtle-bull-dragon thing. Three, I’ll have you know that purple happens to be the Sparkle family color for generations, and my little sister is a purple-furred Unicorn who is much more powerful than I am and the Bearer of the Element of Magic. Four, I have bigger things to deal with than you, right now. This leads to thing five! If you must know what’s going on, access to Canterlot is prohibited due to the obvious barricade of crystals right behind me that has sealed not only my own Princesses inside, but the Princesses of the Mushroom Kingdom and Sarasaland. I take it you overheard all of this?”

“Well, duh, Purple Armor!” the Koopa King replied. “I mean, come ON! You were talking very loud!” Bowser tapped in foot in annoyance. “So… Peach is trapped inside, huh? Well, I guess that makes pursuing Canterlot completely pointless. What about the Elements? Scattered?”

“You really DID overhear our entire conversation, didn’t you?” Shining remarked. “Yes… and right now, one of the visitors from the Mushroom Kingdom named ‘Mario’ is pursuing them along with my little sister’s Dragon assistant, Spike.”

“GWAA-HA-HA!” Bowser grinned. “Well, it looks like fate brings me against Mario yet again!” Turning to Shining Armor, he said, “Well, I'd love to stay and make you all kneel before your new King of Awesome and Evil, but I’ve gotta go! As much as I'd want him to, Mario’s not gonna clobber himself! Beat you up later!” Bowser then stomped away from the sealed city, leaving the very confused Royal Guard in his wake.

“King Dad!” Bowser Junior’s voice yelled out. The youngest of Bowser’s children rode down with his own Clown Car alongside Kammy.

“Are you alright, Your Craziness?” Kammy asked.

“Oh, I’m more than alright!” Bowser laughed. “Well, I do have bad news. Peach is stuck inside here and the Elements of Harmony have been scattered across country.”

“Aw man,” Junior whined. “I really wanted to kidnap her! Why are you so happy, Dad?”

“Well, it means it’s technically one less thing to worry about!” Bowser answered. “Peach isn’t going anywhere, and can’t go anywhere until that barrier is dealt with. Mario can’t do that until he has the Elements of Harmony… and he already has two of them. Put all of this together and you realize…?”

“That Mario’s going to go after the next Element very soon?” Kammy concluded. “We can intercept him!”

“As well as possibly our new enemies!” Bowser replied. “Some cult called the ‘Colts of Nighttime’ or whatever is also after the Elements of Harmony and responsible for locking my sweet Peach up. While they didn’t kidnap her, they are preventing me from doing that… and you know how I don’t like competition for my status as ‘Final Boss’.”

“Well, when you put it that way,” Junior shrugged. “So, where’s Mario going?”

“I don’t really know,” Bowser said back. “But I know he’s NOT going to be in either someplace that's called ‘Appleloosa’ or ‘Fillydelphia’. …Yeah, the puns of these towns’ names aren’t working for me. When we take over the world, someone’s seriously changing several names, okay?”

“Very well, Your Awfulness,” Kammy agreed. “We should head back to the fleet and prepare to face Mario. Hopefully, Kamek will have spies around this country already on the lookout for Mario.”

“King Dad,” Junior asked, “when we get back to the ship, can I give the command to spread the troops throughout the country to look for the Elements?”

“Bowser Jr. Koopa,” his father scolded, “you know that I LOVE giving the commands to my minions! I call dibs on that!”

“Your Awfulness and Your Brattiness,” Kammy requested under her breath as the three of them left the outskirts of Canterlot, “when this is over, can I perhaps get a raise?”

-TWILIGHT-

Midnight Cathedral— Bearers’ Suite

Twilight sat on a chair, an annoyed look on her face. Behind her was a Nocturne Cultist mare— a Unicorn, to be precise— using magic to brush her mane. The mare in question had her hood down, revealing that she was a peach colored pony with a long, striped mane of blonde and white.

“You know, Miss Sparkle,” the mare said as she did her work, “you and your friends are quite lucky!”

“How?” Twilight asked, both genuinely confused by how her situation is lucky and jealous to see her current caretaker using the magic she couldn’t. “We’ve been kidnapped by a cult of mad ponies who want to bring Nightmare Moon back, Spike is out there being hunted by two psychos and I can’t do anything about it, there’s a ninja who can turn into just about anything using some kind of paper-folding martial arts and ice magic roaming the hallways, and, on top of everything else, I can’t use magic! How, Golden Locks, is this anywhere near lucky?”

Golden looked at Twilight in the mirror. “Well, when you put it that way, I suppose we have left a sour taste in your mouths. But Lord Sirius Nebula has become smitten with you!”

“Smitten with me?” Twilight asked.

“Well, actually, all of you,” Golden corrected. “He finds you all fascinating mares, but then again, who wouldn’t? You’re like the legends in the stories I’ve found myself reading in his study… brave, beautiful, smart, friendly, noble, gentle… he really sees that in you all.”

“He really thinks that?” Rainbow’s voice asked, sitting on the couch while looking up from her Daring Do book. “In that case, WHY did he kidnap us!?”

“To use the Elements of Harmony to give our world’s rightful Queen flesh,” Golden replied. “I thought that part was kind of obvious for everypony.”

“One thang AH don’t git is how somepony with such good manners can end up bein’ an evil stallion who wants to take over the world an' is still able to inspire such loyalty,” Applejack remarked, looking at all of the books on the shelf. “Seriously, he’s couth an’ sophisticated ’nough to have a variety o’ books, yet still has an evil plan. An' ya'll think it's okay to follow him?”

“If the stories about Lord Sirius are true,” Golden said, “he was brought up in a noble home in Trottingham. Hence, his title, ‘Lord Sirius Nebula’. He learned a lot from being raised this way, including manners, cunning, parts of the world, and how to treat a lady. I’ve seen his books in his study, so he’s well cultured. He’s done all that he is able to in order to make your stay as friendly as possible.”

“Friendly?” Pinkie Pie asked from her position nearby the fireplace with a mug of hot chocolate. “Girls, remind me… have ANY of our major baddies ever been really friendly?”

“Discord?” Fluttershy recalled, also by the fireplace.

“Before they turned good, Fluttershy,” Twilight corrected. “Anyway… not really. Trixie had an arrogant nature to her… Discord didn’t value friendship before Fluttershy reformed him, reminding me that we have no idea what HE's up to… Princess Luna became Nightmare Moon in response to not having friends and thinking nopony appreciated her… the Changeling Queen only used love as a food source and invaded Equestria to feast on our emotions… and King Sombra enslaved the Crystal Empire for no justified reason, and would have treated everypony in Equestria as thralls to do his bidding. I think Sirius has been the first to actually seem to respect us and be kind to his subjects, as much as I don’t want to admit it.”

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!” Rarity’s voice screamed from her bedroom. Her five friends immediately shot up in horror.

“Rarity!” Twilight breathed.

“Twilight, press and hold B!” Pinkie instructed. “It will allow you to gallop straight to Rarity!” Twilight, rather than question Pinkie’s control speak again, galloped towards Rarity’s room, which was a lovely blue and white decorated room with a queen sized mattress with a red comforter.

Rarity sat up in bed, breathing heavily, her mane in absolute knots. Her face was covered in sweat, and her eyes yelled of panic. Rarity stared at her friends as they filed in the room. “…Twilight?”

“We’re here, Rarity,” the purple Unicorn comforted her friend. “What happened?”

“I… I had an awful nightmare,” Rarity replied. “It was horrible… dreadful! I doubt I shall be getting any sleep tonight! Of all of the wretched, worst possible dreams I could have EVER had, this was the… WORST… POSSIBLE… DREAM!” Rather than faint onto her bed, Rarity jumped onto the bed, beginning to cry into her pillow. Rainbow snorted at this overly dramatic reaction to a nightmare.

“Oh please!” the light blue Pegasus grumbled. “What happened, Rarity? Was it the dream where you were caught in downtown Canterlot shaved furless in a horrible looking dress in front of Princess Celestia where she banished you to the Moon again?”

“Even worse than THAT nightmare!” Rarity answered. “It… it was Spike. He had been captured by that brute of a Diamond Dog, Carbon, and brought before Night Fortune. Night Fortune sentenced poor Spiky-Wikey to a game over… by a giant paper shredder! As Spike was being lowered into it, I had to listen to his screams as I was chained to a wall… and Night Fortune lowered his hood. His face… well, it was a she! And she looked like a black-furred version of me!”

As the white Unicorn cried and Fluttershy comforted her, Golden Lock placed her hoof to her chin. “Now that she mentions it… it’s almost impossible to tell if Night Fortune is a stallion or a mare physically. He’s small for a stallion, but he’s wearing that cloak all of the time. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him without that cloak. The only ponies who have ever seen Night Fortune are Sirius, Carbon, and Arctic.”

“Perhaps we should git talkin’ to Sirius,” Applejack said aloud. “Maybe we can git a clue as to what Night Fortune’s like or somethin’… maybe even git an idea on Mario an’ Spike’s progress.” Golden turned to the orange Earth Pony, shocked.

“ABSOULTELY NOT!” she chided. “Lord Sirius is kind enough to you all to not lock you away in a proper dungeon, but we are not to let you wander the halls above the basement floor without an escort! Those are Commander Night Fortune’s orders! If you wish for an audience with Lord Sirius, then I will go find guards to take you to him!” Golden Lock bowed to the group before trotting outside.

Twilight, meanwhile, waited for the sound of a door closing before turning to the others. “Good performance, Rarity. I thought she’d NEVER leave us alone.”

“What ‘performance’?” Rarity scowled. “It’s been days since we last heard of Spikey-wikey’s progress! Who knows what could have happened to him during all of this time! I’ve just experienced a terrible nightmare where Night Fortune… or rather I sentence Spike to death!” Twilight gasped in shock... she had not realized Rarity was being truthful about her nightmare. She just hugged the other Unicorn, offering it as an apology.

“Well that’s sad to hear,” a male voice spoke up. Soon enough, Boogular faded into existence, grinning at the mares. Rarity gasped, pushing out of her hug with Twilight and diving under the covers of her bed. “Ready to get to work, ladies?”

“Boogular?” Pinkie Pie asked. Rarity looked up at the Boo, a scowl on her face.

“Of all the nerve!” she yelled. “Don’t you know it’s RUDE to come into a lady’s bedroom without knocking first? I’m indecent!”

“I apologize,” Boogular replied. “But you all have to remember… I’m a BOO and a THIEF! If I knock on every door, I wouldn’t be good at EITHER of my jobs! Besides, you all do realize I can just phase through walls, right?”

“Good point,” Twilight nodded. “Just don’t go building any haunted mansions…”

“Those are for Luigi, sweetheart, and you’re neither in green nor do you have a mustache like Reboot,” Boogular joked. “Anyway, speaking of Reboot, he has a bit of a job for us to do today if we wish to figure out Sirius Nebula’s next move. Shall we be off?”

Twilight nodded, and led the group out of Rarity’s room after she managed to straighten her mane. Soon enough, they walked to the door, and attempted to open it, only to see that it was locked.

“Drats,” Rainbow scowled. “Why did our little caretaker Golden Lock have to be so good at her job?”

“No worry,” Boogular replied. “This just requires a bit of lock-picking. Give me a minute.” The Boo then phased through the door before the sound of a heavy lock falling down on the floor echoed in the hall. Boogular then phased back through the door. “All clear.”

Twilight pushed the door open, leading the group out to the familiar hall where Reboot was waiting for them. “Ah, there you all are!” the green Boo smiled. “How are we doing, today?”

“Rarity just woke up from a nightmare about Spike,” Fluttershy recalled. “It makes me worried…”

“About Spike?” Boogular asked. “I’m sure he’s fine… but there’s only so much he and Mario can do out there. Right now, let’s focus on here inside the Midnight Cathedral.”

“Well, what do you need us for?” Rainbow asked. “You guys are thieves, aren’t you?”

“Yes, but where we’re going, it would be suspicious if two Boos floated into it and came out with something,” Reboot replied. “I need to send someone to Sirius’ personal study with Boogular. The problem? That’s a couple floors upstairs, and you all would stick out like a Purple Pikmin in a field of red ones.” The ponies looked at each other, but just shrugged.

“So, it’s under guard,” Twilight got. “I take it whoever goes up there can’t be spotted, can they?”

“Right,” Boogular nodded. “Otherwise, they’ll end up bringing you back down here to your room.”

“Now, our first order of business should be obtaining a Nocturne Cloak to conceal your identity,” Reboot instructed. “This is where Boogular comes in. With a tap of the Y Button, he can make you intangible to anything… as long as you DON’T MOVE. It’s an easier way to avoid guards spotting you while we don’t have a cloak for you yet. But once you do, there are STILL areas that will be off limits to you based off what type of cloak you’re wearing… try to avoid those areas.”

“Got it,” Twilight nodded. “So, I need to obtain a Nocturne Cloak, and then head to Sirius’ study? Sounds simple enough.”

“Wait, Twilight?” Rainbow asked. “Why are you going? I’m much faster.”

“That’s not always a good thing,” Reboot replied. “You see, Rainbow, stealth and speed aren’t much known to being associated with each other too often. If you gallop near the Nocturne Cultists guards, even while wearing the cloak, they’ll hear your hooves a lot more than a gentle trot. You’ll be made out for an imposter a lot easier. So, no holding the B Button unless you’re absolutely certain no one’s nearby.”

“If anything, that study will probably be a major key in getting rid of these binds keeping us from escaping on our own,” Twilight explained. “It’s bound to be some seriously strong magic keeping this Inhibitor Ring on my horn. If I can figure out how to remove it, I can work on getting the rest of your binds off.”

“Then we can take these cloaked bozos!” Applejack grinned. “Twi’, Ah knew ya’ll were smart, but ya did it ’gain.”

“So, it’s settled,” Boogular nodded. “Twilight, welcome to the world among thieves.”

“What are the rest of us going to be doing while we wait?” Fluttershy asked.

“Good point,” Boogular replied. “Any minute now, Golden Lock will probably be down to bring guards to escort the Bearers to Sirius. Somepony will be suspicious if Twilight is not there…”

“I’m sure somepony can cover for her,” Rarity replied. “Namely, moi. Don’t worry, Twilight… just don’t get caught.”

“Okay,” Reboot asked, “are we all good to go? Nobody needs a repeat of our instructions?” Twilight shook her head, declining a repeat. “Okay… I better split. Oh, before you go, Miss Sparkle… I have a present for Mario I’d like you to deliver.” He then floated down to Twilight before handing her a Jammin’ Jelly.

“Um, thanks, but where do I put this?” Twilight asked. “We can’t actually send it to Mario and Spike, can we?”

“Don’t worry,” Boogular replied. “I’ll show you on our way. Now remember, once you’re ready to go, head into that stairway. It should be open.” Twilight tested it, and saw that the once closed door was in fact open. She swallowed the fear in her throat before trotting through.

---

Midnight Cathedral— Floor 1

Twilight and Boogular emerged on the first floor. The two looked around to see a pair of Nocturne Cultist guards conversing, not seeing the two. Twilight looked to see other guards talking as well.

“Twilight,” Boogular whispered, “if I remember correctly, the Nocturne Cloaks should be in the room to the top left. Let’s get going…”

Twilight trotted through the hall, avoiding the Nocturne Cultists watching eye. If one was getting too close to spotting her in the dark light though, she signaled Boogular to turn her intangible. Once she was all clear, though, she managed to sneak into what appeared to be a mare’s locker room.

After subsiding horrible memories of Magic Gym class (especially a brutal game of magic dodge ball where she accidentally hurt her foalsitter who was just passing by the courtyard due to a missed throw), Twilight noticed a blue and black cloak hanging on the wall that was just her size. Twilight threw on the Nocturne Cloak, disguising herself as a cultist.

“Okay… now what?” Twilight asked Boogular.

“You’re gonna have to ask for access into Sirius’ study,” Boogular replied. “We may need to give a password.” Twilight gasped.

“A PASSWORD!?” she questioned. “But you’ve NEVER mentioned that I would need to know passwords! They’ll see right through me!”

“Don’t worry,” Boogular replied. “They’ll give you a hint of what the password is, and it’s usually a noun like a person, a place, or a thing. It won’t be anything hard, Twilight. They like using simple passwords.”

“…You better be right,” Twilight warned. She then walked outside the door before spotting a couple of cloaked ponies talking to each other.

“Hey, Panic Attack,” one of the female Nocturne Cultists, a Pegasus judging by the teal wings sticking out of her cloak, asked. “Lord Sirius requested my presence in the main hall. Could you do me a favor and take the next shift early? I promise to repay you.”

“W-W-What?” Panic Attack asked. “What if one of the Bearers managed to get up here and is sneaking around right now!? What if she ambushes me, Gentle Breeze!?”

“Oh Panic Attack, you’re so cute when you’re paranoid!” Gentle Breeze giggled. “Please…?”

“…Fine.”

“Thank you!” she smiled, giving Panic Attack a hug before skipping straight through the next staircase to the second floor. Panic Attack sighed before taking his spot at guarding the staircase.

“Okay, try it now,” Boogular said. “Remember: act natural. Panic Attack is paranoid, but he’s still a pushover.” The two approached the stairs, Panic Attack spotting them.

“Hold it!” he yelled, looking at them. “…Wait, Boogular?”

“The one and only,” the Boo replied with a bow. “How goes it, Brother Panic Attack?”

“To be honest, I’m worried about being left here alone to guard the staircase up to Floor 2… what if one of the Bearers manages to sneak up here!? Oh, I only did it because Gentle Breeze is so adorable. Too bad she has eyes for only Lord Sirius… not some anxious Earth Pony sentry.”

Twilight, even though she disliked their cause, could not help but feel bad for this guard. None of these ponies were mindless drones, but real ponies with actual lives and concerns. How did Sirius convince all of these ponies to join him in a cause that would upset the world’s balance?

“Well, take a chill pill, Panic Attack,” Boogular suggested. “By the way, you don’t mind if I show our new girl around, do you?”

“You mean going upstairs?” Panic Attack asked. “Well, sure, you can go… but you know the drill. Night Fortune’s orders. What’s the password, Sister?”

“Me?” Twilight asked, making sure to conceal her voice. “Um, can I have a hint? I am new…”

“Oh, right,” Panic Attack recalled. “Well, what is the name of one of our most profound enemies? Spike, Nightmare Moon, or Petey Piranha?”

Twilight did not need to think about this one. She had no doubt that the Colts of Nocturne SUPPORTED Nightmare Moon, and she had no idea who Petey Piranha was. That only left one choice.

“Spike.”

“Good to hear!” Panic Attack nodded. “For a minute, I thought you were one of the Bearers in disguise. Well, you can go.” Panic Attack walked out of the way, unaware that he just let Twilight walk right up into the staircase leading up to the next floor, Boogular following her.

---

Floor 2

The disguised Twilight walked out to see an area she had not been to before. The Dining Hall she went to last time she was anywhere but in the basement in the Nocturne Cathedral was on the first floor. Compared to the large first floor hub area, this was just as similar, except there were more guards, including a set of guards with blue and white cloaks, Griffin guards, Clubbas, and the elite Koopa foot soldiers known as Koopatrols. No way would she be able to sneak past those guys if she had to get into their areas with just her cloak.

“Sirius’ study should be to the top left,” Boogular replied. “Try not to drool over the books, okay?”

“Please,” Twilight scoffed in a hushed tone. “I do not ‘drool’ over books. I enjoy reading them.”

Boogular smiled. “I’m just saying, given the dossiers I’ve picked up for Lady Bow on you and each of your friends, it’s been known you have an addiction to reading and pursuing knowledge. It’s kind of funny.”

“A dossier?” Twilight asked. “You mean you’ve researched me?”

“Actually, it was Reboot,” the blue Boo thief replied. “When we first started working on our cover, Reboot was the one who found information on all of you… how do you think Sirius Nebula knows all of your strengths and weaknesses, particularly how none of you have any experience with ninjas?”

“So it was you two!?” Twilight demanded with a scowl under her hood. “That’s a violation of privacy! Not to mention you’re the reason we’re in this mess!”

“We had no choice,” Boogular explained. “This is what happens when you play ‘double agent’ to Lady Bow and to the Colts of Nocturne. Also, to be completely fair, you’re the Bearers of the Elements of Harmony. We didn’t know whether or not you girls were a threat to us ghosts, yet. Now, quit making a scene unless you want BOTH of our games to end.”

“…Fair enough,” Twilight responded. “We’ll continue this conversation later.”

“Right, but before we do anything else…” Boogular remembered. He then floated over to a green door that was unguarded. “Come in here…” Twilight did just that, spotting a large blue and white treasure chest. “Alright, Miss Sparkle,” the Boo grinned, “have you ever heard of the Transfer Chest?”

“Transfer Chest?” Twilight asked. “You mean a rare type of treasure chest that transfers items from one place to another across the world provided there is a similar treasure chest at some place and time? Why… oh!” Twilight smiled at the realization. “Perhaps we can use this to get out!”

“You wish, Twilight,” Boogular chuckled. “It doesn’t transfer living beings. It will work on items… nothing more. Anyway, I know the pony who has the other Transfer Chest personally, and I have asked her to head to Ponyville and open up an innocent shop that Mario and Spike can use her services at. We’ll inform them to head to the shop in our next e-mail. In the meantime, just put your items in the chest.” Twilight sighed, just placing both the Close Call Badge and the Jammin’ Jelly in the chest. The chest glowed for a second before returning to normal. “Good! If you or any of the girls ever find anything that Mario and Spike can use on their quest, put it in the chest. Well, now that our little errand is done, let’s get back to our real goal, yes?”

After leaving the room, Twilight then walked towards the guard in front of the study, a Nocturne Cultist with wings. “Hold on,” he stated. “I don’t recognize you… a new recruit?”

“Yes,” Boogular replied. “I’ve been tasked to show her around the Cathedral and teach her the ropes… I figured I owed her a sneak into Sirius’ study.”

“So, I take it you already gave her today’s password to the study?”

Twilight asked, “Well, no… could I please have a hint?”

“Fair enough, little mare,” the Pegasus Cultist shrugged. “Riddle me this, lady: what enemy class would rather nap around than swing its spiky club? A Fuzzy, a Hammer Bro, or a Clubba?”

Twilight knew for a fact that despite the fact she’s never met a Hammer Bro, they used Hammers rather than clubs. However, Clubbas’ name’s implied clubs… and the fact that one of them was sleeping next to a door, holding its club askew gave it away.

“A Clubba, of course!”

“Very well,” the guard nodded. “Try not to linger in there for too long.” He then turned to the Clubba, and said, “Hey, can you stop being an obvious clue and wake up? Seriously, you ruined the password, buddy!” The Clubba then woke up, looking around.

“Huh? What?” he asked.

Twilight and Boogular walked into the study, where the cloaked Unicorn could not help but be awed by Sirius’ collection of books. An assortment of tomes ranging from topics like Mushroom Kingdom Oddities to How to Lead for Neighcompoops, to even The Legend of Zelda: Eyes of the Mare, which was an apparent autobiography for somepony named “Epona”. But Twilight didn’t question it, or why it was next to a book series called Fire Emblem. Her eyes soon fell onto the book titled, Binding Magic 101: How to Create, Use, Seal and Unseal Spells, Objects, and Places at Home for Earth Ponies and Pegasus Ponies.

“I found something,” Twilight smiled. “Now, hopefully, I can use this to get my Magic back so Mario and Spike don’t have to worry about us!” She grabbed the book and stuffed it into one of the convenient pockets in her cloak so nobody would see it

“Good, good,” Boogular nodded, not paying attention. “Aha!” The Boo thief floated over to a writing desk, looking at something. It appeared to be another book from Twilight’s perspective. However, the book had no title on the cover… just a Ztar on a moon, almost similar to Sirius’ Cutie Mark. Boogular opened it, and began flipping through the pages. Twilight, although she was done, could not help but look at what Boogular was reading.

Dear Diary,

Well, just as I thought the other day, Night Fortune’s sleep-deprived state made him miscalculate the last ritual we attempted. All we have is… well, in case I accidentally leave you someplace where somepony accidentally discovers you AGAIN (sorry, by the way!), I won’t tell you what our results were. Unless, of course, you saw that cutscene at the beginning of the game… but I’m pretty sure you just skipped that like everypony else and got straight to the main story. Lazies...

All I will tell you is that I’ve entrusted Carbon to safely place away what I’ve received until we are ready for our next phase of our new plan. Speaking of which, I SUPPOSE I can let you know what our next phase involves: the Elements of Harmony. It’s ironic that these magical Elements have twice been involved with the downfall of our Queen, Nightmare Moon, are the key to her return to power. I just hope we can pull off Night Fortune’s new plan…

…Sorry about that. I have just been informed by my agents in Canterlot of something happening next month near the date of the full moon. Apparently, my travels to the Mushroom Kingdom have finally paid off. It’s been discovered that Warp Pipes exist in Equestria. WARP PIPES, of all things! Furthermore, Princess Celestia, eager to know more about the Mushroom Kingdom on the other side of the planet, has opened trade between these two kingdoms. Good for them, I suppose. However, I’ve heard that Princess Peach herself is going to be arriving for a vacation, and she will start with a visit in Canterlot to negotiate trade between her, Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, and Princess Daisy of Sarasaland.

As if that weren't enough, Princess Celestia has tasked the Bearers of the Elements of Harmony to help with a welcoming party and help with negotiations, and they will be bringing the Elements of Harmony back to Canterlot for the evening in case of any emergency. The security in Canterlot Castle will be so busy tending to both parties there will not be enough hooves to guard the Tower of the Elements, in which they'll be held. This will be the best opportunity for us to make an assault, obtain the Bearers and the Elements, and keep Princesses Celestia and Luna out of our manes for at least a while in one great chess move. Long enough for us to get our Queen back.

Twilight gasped in shock. “Did I just… read somepony’s diary!?”

“Not just anyone’s diary,” Boogular said in a nonchalant tone. “Sirius Nebula’s diary. You see, he has a bad habit of leaving his personal belongings out where someone can get them. Some of the maids complain, but they he often charms them into forgiving him. I hoped to learn something from his diary…”

Twilight nervously looked around. “Okay, it’s bad enough that we’re reading somepony’s private diary, but the diary of the villain!? Should we be doing this!?”

“Twily,” the Boo chuckled, “you have to know that not everything’s black and white, sweetheart. You just got to let the gray in at times. Sirius, while he is the villain in this case, is grayer than you think. But you’re probably right about Night Fortune being evil, though. Something about that pony rubs me the wrong way.”

“Nopony but Shining Armor calls me ‘Twily’,” the mare scowled. “Now put it back!”

“I will,” Boogular answered. “I just need to go through more of this book.”

Dear Diary,

I’m… sorry I haven’t been able to write. Well, I have good news and bad news. The good news is the Canterlot operation was… mostly successful. The bad news is the emphasis on ‘mostly’. You see, we did almost everything right. The Bearers are now currently asleep in their personal suite I have provided them. Celestia and Luna are out of the game for a while along with a good chunk of Canterlot’s population, and I personally defeated two of the most likely heroes… I just had a terrible slip-up at the finish line that could cost us everything:

I underestimated Twilight Sparkle’s wrath.

If I ever pass on a lesson to anypony who EVER decides it's a good idea to take on the Bearers of the Elements, it would be this. “Even if you think you’ve gotten them beat and are mere moments of taking the Elements from them, NEVER hurt their baby Dragon right in front of them if they have the Elements equipped. Especially with King Sombra’s magic, as that dark magic drains your defenses. You will blasted by magic so strong that it causes parts of a castle to fall on you and the Elements of Harmony being scattered across Equestria.”

So, yeah, I’m confined to the Midnight Cathedral until my injuries heal enough to allow me to move around much.

Oh, and I learned a second lesson: “Make sure aforementioned baby Dragon’s game is ended unless you wish to get an earful from Night Fortune and lose one of the Elements to that Dragon alongside the Mushroom Kingdom hero, Mario.”

You know, thinking about this reminds me of what happened during my foalhood. I was lucky to make it out of that sandstorm alive… luckier that Night Fortune found me. I don’t even know if my parents are still alive... and it's my fault. Now, I was lucky again that I avoided going to the Underwhere after that screw-up. Learning and using Sombra’s magic? Enduring parts of a castle crashing on me while protecting the Bearers? I would be lucky if I see the end of the year with all of the pain I’ve been through if I was by myself. I’m lucky to have everypony here with me…

Twilight realized that this must have been written after she had woken up. Not that Sirius didn’t deserve both lessons, she could not help but feel sorry for him for some reason. He nearly died for her and her friends. Sure, they were essential to his plan to bring back Nightmare Moon, but he did save their lives and did his best to make sure they were unharmed. Sirius probably did not need to bring them all unharmed, but he did it anyway, even at a disadvantage to himself. He also brought up that past about his parents and the sandstorm again.

“I guess he IS gray rather than black hearted,” Twilight said. “Or, at worst, a lighter shade of black. Still, I don’t get it… why would ANYPONY who is capable of rational thought and is a gentlecolt be willingly evil and supportive of Nightmare Moon?”

“Sirius might be a fatalist,” Boogular replied. “You ponies have Cutie Marks pointing out what your special talent and destiny is, right? Sirius… perhaps he believes he’s destined to bring back Nightmare Moon. His family in previous generations were the founders of the Colts of Nocturne… you remember him telling you about it, right? To him, the power of the dark night is just his calling.”

Twilight shuddered at that. “Nopony's calling should be evil and darkness... even if their Cutie Mark says so. Have you found out what you needed to, yet?”

“Almost,” Boogular said, turning to the diary. “Aha!” Twilight, more curious than she should be in this scenario, could not help but peak. "This is the most recent entry."

Dear Diary,

I really miss being out and about. True, it’s for my own good that I recover, but I’d rather be out in the field helping my agents obtain the Elements. From Night Fortune and Carbon’s reports, I found out that the second Element is somewhere in Fillydelphia. I sure hope those two don’t cause a giant monster attack like during the horse armor incident.

…They’re going to, aren’t they, diary?

By my Queen, those two are trouble. I REALLY should balance them out with somepony new. I'm actually considering Gentle Breeze... she's loyal, energetic, has strong leadership skills, and can keep anypony calm. If only Arctic was not busy, he’d make sure Night Fortune did not destroy what he could not control and make sure Carbon did not fight for the sake of fighting… though Arctic has his issues with his clan. Those three are my closest friends. I don't know what I would do without them.

Well, it doesn’t matter if Night Fortune and Carbon are successful in Fillydelphia. I’ve luckily been successful with my own search. One of my contacts just informed me that they have an idea as to where an Element can be. One who provided me the same equipment that keeps four of the six Bearers restrained. I’ve got to talk to them about obtaining the Element right away. All he requests in return in a reasonable sum for the Element and support in recovering it—

…Oh, sorry diary, I’ve got to go. Something needs my attention in the conference hall.

“Well, looks like Sirius already has a clue about the next Element of Harmony location,” Boogular replied. “Shoot… I was hoping I could get something about where he put the results of his ritual… if we had that, we could see how close he was to being complete! Then we can warn Lady Bow, see what she wants to do. Perhaps we could even thwart this once and for all.”

“You mean you don’t know?” Twilight asked.

“Boogular and I joined shortly after this ritual,” Boogular replied. “I’m technically a newbie in the group… they allowed us on board after Reboot got your files and I personally showed my skills in stealth…”

“Hey! You two!” a new voice interrupted. The two looked up to see a Nocturne Cultist walking in, a confused look on her face. “What are you doing in here?”

“Us?” Twilight nervously asked. “Nothing… just… really admiring the books.”

“Well, they ARE nice books that Lord Sirius has,” the mare nodded. “But forget that!” Pointing at Twilight, she said, “YOU are late, rookies! Come on, Lord Sirius wants all available hooves in the conference hall.” With that, the mare got behind the disguised Twilight, and nudged her out of the study, Boogular following.

---

Conference Hall

The hall was crowded as Twilight and Boogular entered it. The two walked in, looking at all of the creatures that made up the Colts of Nocturne. Standing in front of it all, no longer needing the bandages but had a noticeable wince of pain as he walked, was none other than Sirius Nebula.

“Attention, brothers and sisters!” Sirius called out to his fellow Nocturne Cultists. “As you all may or not know, we are in a race. But not just against the Mushroom Kingdom hero Mario and the Dragon of the Bearers, Spike, no! It is a new enemy, one that we have raced against since the day we pressed start: a race against TIME!”

Many of the Nocturne Cultists looked back and forth between each other, quite confused by what Sirius meant by a race against time.

The dark blue Unicorn explained, “It has come to my attention that we— and by ‘we’, I mean ‘I’— goofed up even worse than I thought back in Canterlot. You see, as a result of the Elements being scattered, the world and our plan to give new life to our beloved Queen, Nightmare Mon, is on the brink of disaster. If the Elements aren’t reunited by one lunar cycle, the world’s balance of harmony will be permanently destroyed and the world will end up eventually destroying itself.”

Many of the Nocturne Cultists rightly so began muttering in fear and confusion at the news. Twilight herself gasped in shock. She had caused this to happen in response to Sirius throwing Spike away. She had been so angry at him and so desperate to make sure he didn’t obtain the Elements that she had not been thinking about the consequences of sending the Elements away.

“Oh, this is worse than my Smarty Pants breakdown,” Twilight breathed in fear. “If only I could be out there and fix it…”

“I take blame for the failure and our current crisis,” Sirius spoke aloud. “You all did everything right the day of the attack. You all played your parts perfectly. It was MY errors in judgment that caused the Elements to scatter. I apologize for it all… so it pains me that I must stress with you all to keep an eye out for the remaining Elements of Harmony. It’s no longer for just our goal’s sake, but for the WORLD’S sake. After all, how is our beloved Queen going to rule a world that no longer exists, yes?”

The Nocturne Cultists nodded at this thought process of Sirius’, genuinely concerned about the fate of the world. Twilight just stood there, surprised by this piece of news.

“Wait, you guys CARE about the fate of the world?” Rainbow’s voice asked. Sirius Nebula turned to see Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Pinkie Pie standing there, each guarded by a couple Nocturne Cultists.

“Of course we do, Miss Dash,” Sirius replied. “What, you thought I wanted to destroy the world? No… just make it so those shunned by the world of the sun have a greater say in life. Can’t have that with a destroyed world, now.”

“Lord Sirius,” Carbon’s voice declared. Soon enough, Carbon burst from underground, making ponies gasp in surprise at his sudden entrance, alongside a sickly green flash of light, revealing the cloaked form of Night Fortune.

“Ah, there you two are,” Sirius nodded. “We just finished discussing your field reports. So, what about the things you haven’t written, yet? You know, about Mario and Spike? How fares them?”

“Oh, yes,” Carbon nodded. “Well, I would have torn them apart if SOMEPONY did not summon giant monster... again.”

“Really, Night Fortune?” Sirius asked. “Do you NOT remember what happened with the giant Kirin back during the horse armor incident in Neighpon? It didn’t destroy a school again, did it?”

“No,” Night Fortune declined. “Mario and Spike stopped it… and I had to surrender the Element of Loyalty to cover my escape. That makes two Elements we’ve lost… my apologies, my liege.”

“Ha!” Rainbow grinned. Blowing a raspberry, she taunted, “My Element’s with Spike! So that’s two Elements with him, now. You’re not getting your hooves on the others!”

“Its fine,” Sirius replied to the bowing Diamond Dog and Night Fortune. “I was the one who put you both in that situation in the first place. And besides, it’s one more Element that needed to be gathered by somepony, whether it be us or them… if Mario and Spike manage to gather all of the Elements, they’ll have to bring them to the Midnight Cathedral in order to give them back to the Bearers, right? Either they get them or we get them, our plan still holds.”

“OH COME ON!” Rainbow groaned. “Why do bad guys always have to take advantage of that win-win scenario?”

“Because we LIKE having secondary plans that still provides a benefit to us no matter what happens!” Sirius answered. “Having more than one way to achieve something works quite well for ponies, don’t you think?”

“Why are three of six Bearers out of their room?” Carbon asked.

“They wanted to talk about Night Fortune,” Sirius answered, pointing to said stallion. “Particularly his origins. Night Fortune, since you are here, why don’t you share your story to our guests.”

“My liege, I refuse to discuss my origins with my mental inferiors,” Night Fortune replied. “Send them back to their room, they've heard too much.”

“Wow, you are really rude,” Pinkie said to him. “Why do you have to be such a meanie?”

“Now, as for another reason why you all are here,” Sirius continued before the two had an argument of ridiculously peppy and cynical proportions. Turning back to the crowd, he smiled, “I happen to have good news about one of the Elements. One of our contacts has discovered a possible Element location in Applewood Studios.”

“Applewood Studios?” Applejack asked. “Ah’m sure Ah have family out there… oh! That’s in Los Pegasus, ain’t it?”

“That’s the film and party capital of Equestria!” Pinkie Pie remembered. “I’ve always wanted to throw a huge party in Los Pegasus!”

“Hold on,” Rainbow said. “Isn’t that where they’re filming the all-new Daring Do reboot movie? The first movie where Ahuizotl isn’t the main antagonist?”

“Wow, you ladies are well informed,” Sirius confirmed. “You know, I’ve always wanted to voice act in one of Applewood’s animated films. But alas, I’m not really cut out for the movies, and I’m getting off topic. Our contact requests certain aid in their effort to secure the Element in return for funding for their services. Therefore, if anypony is free for about the next three or four days, can I ask for volunteers to head to Los Pegasus?”

Several Nocturne Cultists looked at each other, surprised to hear this. Eventually, several hooves, talons, hands, or whatever rose up, surprising the four Bearers (one of which was disguised) by the sheer amount of forces Mario and Spike would have to beat in order to obtain the next Element.

“This can’t be good,” Twilight muttered. “How are Mario and Spike supposed to beat them all?”

“Allow me to lead mission,” Carbon bowed. “If Mustache Man and Dragon come to Applewood, I show them stars… as I hit them with Broadway!”

“Broadway is in Manehattan,” Sirius corrected. “You'd be 'showing them stars', old friend. Besides, you and Night Fortune should probably hang back here for a while. Perhaps take this opportunity to tend to your wounds... physical and emotional.”

“You’re bored, aren’t you?” Night Fortune accused.

“Yes,” Sirius replied. “You two have been forcing me to stay put to recover from my injuries while you guys have all the fun of adventuring.”

“Well, to be fair, you slow us down while you hurt,” Carbon pointed out. “Well, fine… I stay, but next viable hunt is MINE. But whose gonna lead this mission? Arctic?”

“Actually, this should be relatively simple to obtain the Element and I can move enough,” Sirius replied. “All I have to do is talk to the right pony and help secure the Element. But, to be on the safe side since it will please Night Fortune that I'm not going alone, I’m taking Gentle Breeze and Boogular with me as field leaders.”

“Boogular?” Night Fortune asked. Everyone turned to the aforementioned blue Boo, who floated forward. Rainbow, Pinkie, and Applejack all stared in shock that the Boo thief would be set against Mario and Spike. “You mean this blob of ectoplasm? Can we trust him? He's not even a pony ghost! I have complaints about Gentle Breeze, too... she's flighty.”

“I certainly trust them, old friend,” Sirius nodded. “He has proven his quick wit and thieving skills so far, and Gentle Breeze keeps everypony at a level head. Well, Boogular? If you don’t think I’ll slow you down, are you up for it?”

“I’ll try,” Boogular winked. “Perhaps even give Mario a scare.” He then disappeared out of sight, leaving everyone confused before the lights flickered out. He then appeared behind Rainbow Dash, and let out a powerful shriek, causing the Pegasus to yelp in fear before landing in Carbon’s arms, shaking in panic as the Boo laughed. Carbon sniggered before putting the light blue Pegasus down. “Oh, I really love doing that!”

“See?” Sirius said to Night Fortune. “He’s fine.” He then concentrated his white colored magic to relight the room.

“Very well,” the small stallion nodded. “Be careful, my liege. The world is looking for you.”

“Ponies may know my name, but not my face,” Sirius reminded. “Still, you’re right… I’m not yet fit for combat due to my injuries. I will try to stay out of sight during my stay in Los Pegasus. Gentle Breeze and Boogular will be in charge of field activities.” A teal Pegasus mare with a dark blue mane in pigtails around Twilight’s age flew over to Sirius before bowing. This must have been Gentle Breeze, the mare who Twilight saw Panic Attack having a crush on earlier.

“I won’t let you down, my liege!” she promised. “If I defeat the baby Dragon, can I keep him as a pet?”

“We’ll see,” Sirius said, looking at the energetic mare. “Now, you and Boogular get what you need and report back here in a few hours. Everypony else, dismissed.” The room soon began to empty as the Nocturne Cultists walked out, ready for action. The only ones who did not leave were Twilight, Boogular, Gentle Breeze, Sirius, Night Fortune, Carbon, and the three undisguised Bearers and their guards. When Twilight turned to leave, Sirius spoke up, “Excuse me, Miss… I need to talk to you.”

Twilight, tensed up, turned around and approached Sirius. Disguising her voice, she asked, “Yes, my liege?” She had to resist shuddering at that. It just sounded... wrong to call him that.

“I’m sorry for catching you off guard, but I JUST realized I forgotten to ask for suggestions while everypony was around,” Sirius replied. “You see, I have been working on a list of things, and I’m having a difficult time picking three out of the nine of these things. Can you care to help me?”

“Um sure,” Twilight asked, surprised by this. It was better to help him finish his suggestions and keep her cover rather than refuse and risk him detecting her. Sirius levitated a list and a pen out.

“Okay, of these three things, which should I do something with first? An Ultra Shroom, a Bandit, or a Hammer Bro?”

“Hmm,” Twilight thought about this list. It was actually kind of strange as to what it was about, since almost none of them went together. Still, she had to make a choice. “Perhaps an Ultra Shroom…”

“Okay, okay,” Sirius nodded, scribbling something down. “Next question. Should I get a Mighty Flower, a Paratroopa, or a Clubba?”

“I’d go with the Paratroopa,” Twilight shrugged. She had heard of Mighty Flowers, but not everyone else had. As far as she knew, they filled up to 10 Flower Points and boosted attack power. However, she only chose the Paratroopa since she knew her friends would probably tell it was her if she chose the Mighty Flower without asking what it was.

“Finally, last thing,” Sirius said while writing again. “If you were to choose between a Bullet Bill Blaster, a Crayzee Dayzee, and a Chain Chomp, which would you get?”

“I would suggest the Crayzee Dayzee?”

Sirius nodded before finishing his writing. “Thank you very much, Miss Twilight Sparkle. You’ve been an excellent help.” Gentle Breeze and Carbon both gasped, as well as Twilight’s friends.

“Twilight?” Applejack asked. Before the Unicorn could run away, Carbon grabbed her hood and pulled it down, revealing Twilight’s scared face. "What the hay!? Ya got caught!"

"Wow!" Gentle Breeze said, amazed. "I owe Panic Attack an apology! He was totally right that the Bearers can sneak out of their room!"

“How… how did you know!?” Twilight asked as Carbon restrained her using his upper body strength. The way the Diamond Dog held her legs and held him close to his chest prevented her from fighting back or squirming out of his grip.

“Your shampoo,” Sirius smiled. He then took a slight sniff in the air before sighing. “Unless I’m wrong, I had a unique lavender scented shampoo placed in your bathroom, assuming you would use it. As well as an apple scented one for Applejack, a chocolate scented one for Miss Pie, a vanilla one for Miss Dash.” Carbon, curious, sniffed Twilight’s mane.

“Yeah… definitely lavender,” Carbon nodded. “No one else has same shampoo in whole Cathedral… quite clever, my liege.”

"Can you STOP sniffing my mane?" Twilight asked the Diamond Dog. "It's a little creepy!"

"I like the smell of lavendar," Carbon replied.

"As do I, Carbon," Sirius agreed.

“So THAT’S why my fur smells so sweet,” Rainbow said.

“And I made sure that nopony else had any of the shampoos unique to you all just to make sure I can track your scents,” Sirius continued. “Miss Sparkle, I know you and your friends don’t like being held prisoner— and honestly who would? But sneaking out while your friends Fluttershy and Rarity pretend you’re in there with them? Well, I am afraid that is a big no-no. I’ll forgive you this once since you’ve helped me pick out defenses for my contact in Los Pegasus. But now, Carbon, if you would be so kind as to escort Miss Sparkle and our three Bearers back to their chamber.”

“Of course, my liege,” Carbon said. “Come on, ponies, let’s go.” The four were soon taken out of the hall, leaving Sirius, Night Fortune, Gentle Breeze, and Boogular.

“You seriously gave them all unique shampoos to tell them apart from everypony else?” Boogular asked, genuinely surprised by how Sirius managed to outwit him through smell alone.

“Yes, I am Sirius,” the stallion replied with a light chuckle, avoiding full-on laughter since it hurt him. “But yes, I did that on purpose. I knew there was a chance somepony could easily disguise themselves as a Nocturne Cultist, so I did that to make sure they don’t try that with me around. Well, me and Carbon… he has a better nose than I do. However, there was a second reason I gave them those shampoos… they smell almost heavenly.”

“Aw, my liege, that’s adorable!” Gentle Breeze smiled. “You got that just for them…”

“I hate to admit it about the brute, but he does have a good nose,” Night Fortune said. “I would never had thought of that, instead placing guards downstairs 24/7, since the only way out of their suite with their binds is the front door. Still, we should heighten security since we know they can escape their floor at anytime. Anyway, my liege, now that we are certain there are no Bearers, there is something I wish to discuss… is it true that if the Bearers are truly incapable of performing their duties, a Temporary Bearer can emerge?”

“…I wouldn’t know for sure,” Sirius replied. “I have never actually studied that trait about the Elements. All that I know that before our current Bearers were the Princesses, and they have long since fallen out of sync with the Elements. I have no idea as to how the Elements change Bearers, but only those chosen by the Elements can use them.”

“Well, you’ll find this piece of news quite interesting,” Night Fortune said before trotting over to the taller stallion, whispering something in his ear.

“Hm… perhaps I underestimated Mario and Spike more than I thought,” the dark blue Unicorn nodded. “Boogular, Gentle Breeze… I must request you two both be careful should we run into Mario during our task. Now, go about your preparations.”

“Yes, my liege,” both agreed.

---

Bearers’ Suite

Applejack, Rainbow, Pinkie, and Twilight were all pushed into the room by Carbon. “Now be good little ponies and STAY PUT!” the Diamond Dog scolded them before slamming the door.

“Jerk,” Rainbow scowled. “Ugh… can’t believe Sirius outsmarted us.”

“Well,” Twilight said as she looked at her cloak, “at least he left the cloak… and this.” She then pulled out the book she stole from Sirius’ study. “I’ll get to work on this tomorrow.” The mare then stuffed her newly recovered book in the bookcase before removing the cloak. "Anytime somepony wants to go up, make sure you take the cloak with you. But let's stay away from Diamond Dogs... they can smell us, disguise or no."

“Twilight, are you alright?” Rarity’s voice asked. Soon enough, she and Fluttershy came out into the main room, spotting Twilight’s cloak. “Where did you get that quaint cloak?”

“Yeah, I’m fine,” the purple Unicorn answered the first question. “But… well, Sirius deliberately bought our shampoos to tell us apart from everypony else.”

“I thought it was strange that there was my favorite strawberry scented shampoo,” Fluttershy remarked. “So… Sirius knows we can get out? Oh my… he’ll know when we’re peaking around!”

“Apparently, him AND Diamond Dogs,” Twilight sighed. “So, for a while, there won’t be any expeditions out of the basement for a while.”

“Twilight,” Reboot’s voice spoke up. Soon enough, the green Boo appeared, concern on his face. “So, Boogular is going to face Mario and Spike, right?”

“Yes,” the mare nodded. “You and your partner… on one hoof, you’re helping us, but on the other, you’re hard to read with whose side you’re really on.”

“Boos are usually out for themselves,” Reboot replied. “We’re mischievous… but we know when to drop the mischief. Still, if I know Mario, Boogular and he will cross paths. Boogular will be forced to make the fight look good. As for me, while I do like you girls—”

“Especially Fluttershy,” Rainbow giggled, pointing to the timid mare.

“—I have to play triple agent with you girls, Lady Bow, and Sirius. I apologize if your attempts to figure us out aren’t working.”

“Okay,” Twilight sighed. “Well, I take it I don’t need to tell you about what happened at the meeting or where the next Element is, do I?” Reboot shook his body. “Well, we better let Mario and Spike know…”

“That we can do,” Reboot nodded. “He’ll need to be ready. I have no idea who Sirius’ contact is, but Mario and Spike should be warned they’re in for a fight in Applewood.”

Twilight, Rarity, and surprisingly Fluttershy all followed him outside and straight into the computer room. Once again, Reboot possessed the computer as Applejack, Rainbow, and Pinkie walked in.

“Hey, next time we get a chance to sneak out,” Rainbow asked, “can I do it?”

“Sure, I’ll think of something for you,” the green Boo said inside the computer. “But for now, we should report to Mario and Spike as to what we’ve found out about Sirius.”

Twilight, once again standing on her hooves, began typing away at the keyboard. Soon enough, she had a readable message warning Mario and Spike about the danger and giving them a location as to where to go next ready to go.

“Ready?” she asked.

“Yes,” Reboot nodded. Soon enough, the e-mail slipped into an envelope before the eight-bit Reboot grabbed it, sticking the letter down the light blue Warp Pipe. Soon enough, Reboot floated out of the computer, grinning. “Message away!”

“Good to hear,” Twilight said. “I hope Spike and Mario can get to the next Element of Harmony before Sirius and the Colts of Nocturne do.”

“Here’s hoping,” Rarity agreed.

BEEP! BEEP!

“What was that?” Applejack asked. “Some kind o’ alarm?”

“Yes,” Reboot replied, turning to the computer clicking something on the screen, revealing a pair of Koopatrols and an armored Dig Dog walking downstairs. “I installed it recently. As long as I’m in this computer room, I can detect if anyone has entered the stairwell leading to the basement. Which means…” The Boo’s eyes widened in horror. “You girls have to get back to your room, now!”

“What? Why?” Pinkie asked. “So somepony’s coming downstairs. We’ll just close the door and hide here until the coast clears up.”

“No dice,” Reboot shook his body. “These two have no doubt been assigned to keep a patrol on the entire floor. They’ll look in here, and it’s almost impossible to hide in this room unless you’re a ghost! And you girls don’t look like your game’s ending anytime soon! I can’t hide all of you with the press of the Y Button, either. They find you in here, and my cover’s blown!”

“Oh dear,” Fluttershy said. Although she was scared of Reboot (and Boos in general), she could tell he was right. He was still helping her and her friends at his own risk, so she did not want to get him in trouble. “Girls, we should go back to the room for the day. Maybe they’ll leave us all alone…”

“Okay,” Rainbow grunted in annoyance that she couldn’t take on the guards. “Reboot, you get out of here, too. We’ll see you later, okay?”

“Of course,” Reboot nodded. “Good night, ladies.” He then faded out of existence, leaving the girls to quickly gallop to their suite and the computer and lights to turn off. When the patrol came through the room, they only found a dark computer room, no proof that someone was ever inside.

Author's Note:

Well... this was quite the Interlude. We should get started.

1) Well, in the Peach/Luigi segment, we get to see Peach playing investigator... while Luigi (for the Year of Luigi), Yoshi (because he really needs to be in more games), and Daisy (who proves that she's not a damsel in distress) actually do some detective work. Unfortunately, this means that this only proves that they are just NOW figuring out what you all have... that the Colts of Nocturne had a spy in Canterlot (Night Fortune).

Meanwhile, in Bowser's segment, we meet Shining Armor! Shining probably has the most personal reason (besides Spike) to be involved in the case. And yes, if I could get away with it without people complaining, Shining Armor would have been a partner who specializes in barriers and distance attacks. But, of course, I have something to give EVERYONE their Chomp fix, so he's not going to be an alternate partner... until he's a guest partner for a DLC chapter. Well, he and Bowser clearly don't get along. I was going to have them snarking at each other senseless, but that will be for later.

Finally, for those introduced for Twilight's segment. Yes, I know I haven't put the Bearers to much use... yet. I plan to have them all doing something, I promise. But, for now, let's talk Gentle Breeze. Like Sirius, she's rather... peppy. But she keeps everyone calm... which is probably why she'll end up getting into Sirius' inner circle before Boogular and/or Reboot.

2) I figured the Caverns of Canterlot where Changeling Queen Chrysalis banished Twilight and Cadance to would be appropriate for exploration. I mean, the Caverns could have been a dungeon in the game if it weren't for the fact that they would have been late game and rather unimpressive compared to what's going to come Chapters 7 & 8. Or Chapter 3, which, by the way, WILL have a Bowser fight! Because it's BOWSER!

Speaking of the Koopa King... yes. I have no shame to admit that Bowser's platforming segments will be similar to his gameplay in Super Paper Mario. Seriously, although the game is different from the others in the series, it's still awesome in its own way. Also, you'd actually face Pony enemies in this part... mostly Royal Guards, but it works on the way to the city of Canterlot.

Anyways, for the adventure in the Midnight Cathedral, there's nothing much. The first and second floors are reminiscent of Peach's Castle in the original Paper Mario with some X-Naut Fortress. Though mainly Peach's Castle. Unfortunately, we're not going to be exploring more than the first 5 floors (and the Basement) as the Bearers... that's right, the final level has several stories. I won't say how many right now. It's a large cathedral. How else does it hold so many followers?

3) So, why did I have Peach sit down for this episode? Because I feel that Toadsworth, if he could help it, would prevent Peach from doing anything dangerous. So, Daisy, knowing that Toadsworth would never let her go either, snuck off with Luigi and Yoshi to do things. And yes, I did it because Year of Luigi. He honestly deserves to be more of a hero, especially in Daisy's opinion.

As for Bowser's segment, you're probably wondering why he doesn't have the big Clown Car? Honestly, I for one feel that the Clown Car, especially since Bowser Jr. uses it as well, is overused. And besides, Jr.'s going to be using that plus the item he was actually introduced with (the E. Gadd Magic Brush, which has more potential, by the way).

Anyway, for Twilight's adventure through the Cathedral, I wanted to give you guys a preview of what the stealth segments were like. I swear the other segments will be a bit more fun. And yes, Sirius gave them scented shampoo on purpose since just about anypony could easily steal a cloak and pretend to be a Nocture Cultist... also, he enjoys those shampoo smells. Creepy, maybe, but useful, yes! What can I say, I don't like one-dimensional villains. His diary points out that he actually cares for his henchponies... I'm not one-hundred percent sure there have been too many MLP villains who can say that.

Well, anyways, I guess you all know where we're going for Chapter 3... Los Pegasus! For me, I feel it's Los Angeles... but with a lot of Pegasi. Well, I can feel the train wreck that is Mario vs. Bowser. vs. Colts of Nocture. Don't worry, Sirius will not be a boss... yet. That's Chapter 8. Anyways, I think I covered everything important. Except for the new partner, but it could be anything or anyone... you know how those creatures are. By the way, that's all the hint I could afford to give you, because it generally just came the heck outta nowhere.

Have a nice day!