• Published 25th Dec 2012
  • 6,864 Views, 552 Comments

Paper Mario: The Land of Harmony - Blade Squall



Mario & friends travel to Equestria for a vacation. Unfortunately, bad stuff happens. Now, Mario, Spike, and six new heroes have to save the Elements of Harmony... and Peach. Oh, and everything's made of paper. Have fun!

  • ...
10
 552
 6,864

Chapter 2 Part 2

Foal Mountains— Ascent

Mario’s group of four emerged from the pipe, looking to see Matilda, the Cakes, and Beeatriz waiting for them. “Oh, there you all are!” Matilda waved at them.

“What happened down there?” Beeatriz asked. She then noticed Diggsie behind them. “And why is a Diamond Dog with you?”

“Hi!” the energetic Diggsie waved. “I Diggsie! I follow Mario so I get home!”

“…Uh, okay,” Carrot Cake nodded. “Well, I have good news and bad news. Good news is that whatever you guys did down there made us a bridge. The bad news, though… is that Mohan, in a fit of anger after he was unstuck, headed ahead and that Prosperous Dusk walked ahead of him. Cranky went with him to calm him down, but several members of the tour group followed them.”

“Well,” Boomregard mused, “as much as Ah don’t like the guy, we can’t let Mohan endanger the tour group…”

“But there are more likely more Clefts and Monty Moles ahead,” Mario assumed. “I don’t have too many POW Blocks left…”

“Wait, Clefts?” Diggsie asked. “You mean rocky monsters with sharp points on heads? I can deal with them from underground. Hit them hard enough, they flip over!”

“That’s one way of doing that,” Mario shrugged. “But I just remembered a Quake Hammer Badge a bit of the way back. If we do a little backtracking, we can probably see it. I still don’t know how we’re going to get it, though… it’s blocked the stalagmites.”

“Oh, that?” Diggsie asked. “Maybe there tunnel near it. If I dig there, we pop up at opposite end of tunnel! Just need to find tunnel with nose!”

“Well, that’s useful,” Spike said, actually impressed with the Diamond Dog. “Well, we have two ways to fight the Clefts and other high-defense foes!”

“…Hmm… maybe three ways when we get to it,” Diggsie thought about. “Remember Hoohoo Stone? Mario, you use Hammer, right? Maybe Mr. Pie could make you stronger Super Hammer. We go see him near Hollow Shades to find Pie Rock Farm! Still requires pushing ahead, though.”

“A Super Hammer?” Mario asked, honestly interested in this development.

“Wait, Mr. Pie?” Cup Cake asked. “You… you know Clyde Pie and Sue Pie?”

“Yep, yep,” Diggsie answered with her tail wagging. “I work for them! Did you know they have three daughters? Their names are Isabelle, Bellamina, and Pinkamena!” Carrot and Cup Cake looked at each other, somewhat recognizing the third name. “The three have grown up and left rock farm, but Mr. Pie still worried for them.”

“Oh dear,” Cup Cake breathed. Turning to Mario, she said, “Well, I don’t know about everypony else, dearie, but I know that the twins, Gummy, and I will wait until you’re ready to go ahead.”

“Yay!” the two foals smiled when they realized they had time to play, and jumped off of their mother. Pumpkin’s little horn glowed with youthful magic that captured a random Cleft while Pound flew after the Cleft.

“Oh, their magic and flight are back again,” Carrot realized. “We’ll have to get them under control. This might take a while.”

“I’ll wait here,” Matilda answered. “Mario’s team, whether we want to admit it or not, has quite the skill capable to get over these Mountains. Talk to me if you need either more batteries or would like to get going.”

Mario realized right away that he was sort of in charge of this part of the tour group. “Okay,” the plumber nodded. “We’ll head back a bit, get the Badge to be on the safe side, and be right back. Give us a few minutes, guys.”

After a bit of backtracking, Mario’s team did just that. Diggsie proved to be right about the tunnel, and she dug straight into where the stalagmites were blocking off, grabbing the Quake Hammer. The group headed back up to the others, where the twins were happily napping with their father watching over them. After buying more batteries for his Lantern Mario led his part of the tour group forward. Soon, though, they had to fight more Clefts and Monty Moles, but Diggsie showed herself to be useful in battle. Mario’s new Badge was also useful as well, piercing the Clefts’ sturdy defense as well. Of course, in case of the surprisingly rare Hyper Clefts that chose to charge up before attacking Mario, Diggsie’s Drill Upper was useful for hiding the Plumber underground before hitting them. They also managed to find a third and fourth Florie’s Root that they managed to get to thanks to Diggsie’s digging ability.

Soon enough, they came across a sign that said, “Summit Ahead”. Spike sighed in relief after they hit the conveniently located Heart Block and Save Block.

“The Summit’s just a little further?” the Dragon asked.

“Yes,” Matilda confirmed. “Cranky explained that once you hit the summit, it’s a downward hike before we hit the Hollow Shades, where we’ll camp for the night. We were going to stop the tour group up here for lunch, so they should be just up ahead.”

“I guess we’ve almost caught up to everyone,” Beeatriz confirmed. Turning to Diggsie, she asked, “Are you going to be joining us for the second part of the tour?”

“I suppose if it okay,” the Diamond Dog shrugged. “If not, it okay. I should be able to get down mountain on own. I know there underground route near summit.”

“Well,” Mario nodded, “let’s get going.” The group walked ahead, paying no mind to the ever-growing shadow that seemed to come behind them.

---

Foal Mountains— Summit

Just like Matilda predicted, the tour group that went ahead of them had chosen to stop up here for lunch and rest before making the next leg of the trip for the day. Prosperous Dusk spotted them first. “There you are, friends!” the short Unicorn teacher waved them over. “You took your time, didn’t you? Well, thanks to you all, we were able to make it here. After convincing our rather angry tour guide to relax, of course.”

“…” Mohan said nothing, instead choosing to glare at Mario. Prosperous then spotted Diggsie behind them, eagerly looking around the summit at the travelers.

“Wow!” the Diamond Dog cheered, running around while looking at each of them. “So many other species! Toads! Goombas! Ponies! Koopa Troopas! Monty Mole! Even Whacka! I never saw all of these in one place before!”

“A Whacka?” Mario asked, looking to see the light blue mole creature in question looking at the travelers.

“Ah, what a beautiful day on the Foal Mountains, Whackadoo~” the Whacka smiled. “All of the happy people traveling through here… Monty Moles and Diamond Dogs digging around, Whackawoo. Yep… nothing’s going to happen to me, Whackadee!”

“I wonder how people sleep at night hurting Whackas,” Diggsie remarked. “Whackas never hurt anybody. Even if their bumps supposedly tasty, they still cute.”

“Mario… who is this?” the purple and green Unicorn questioned. “How did you manage to tame a Diamond Dog?”

“Diggsie has always been tame for the brief time we’ve known her,” the plumber answered. “She’s just… energetic. If there’s a village where Diamond Dogs are friendly, I wouldn’t be surprised.”

“Took you long enough!” Mohan chastised the team as he walked over, followed by Cranky. “I see you brought a Diamond Dog with you! Do you really take in strays, Mario?”

“I no stray,” Diggsie said over her shoulder, paying more attention to the sky.

“Anyway, I hope you’re happy with yourself for wasting my time again, plumber!” Mohan scowled. “I know what you’re going to ask, and the answer is NO! There’s no way I’m going to let a Diamond Dog on my tour!”

“Mohan, calm down,” Cranky said, stepping in front of the Monty Mole. Turning to Mario, he said, “Ignore him… he’s agitated that he took two quicksand baths. But, where did you find her? Underground?”

“She helped us find the switch you mentioned,” Spike explained. “She also happens to be on her way to the Hollow Shades, so she chose to join us. I know it’s actually hard to trust a Diamond Dog, but…”

“Hey,” Diggsie interjected, looking upwards. “Where airship come from?” The rest of Mario’s party looked up to see a large red and brown airship that appeared to have a rather extensive patch-up job from the look of things. But what caused almost everyone at the summit to stare in awe was the flag it was sailing. Rather than the Mushroom Kingdom or a Sun and Moon, the flag was pure black with the exception of the white winged pony skull and twin red swords crossing beneath it. Mario did not need any hints from Spike to realize that he was staring at a pirate’s airship. And not just any type of pirates… Pegasirates.

Sure enough, several Pegasirates launched themselves off of the ship, landing right on top of the summit. Two of which were rather familiar to Mario and Spike. “Well, well,” Swash greeted. “Greetings, Mario and Spike! We meet again! Don’t we Buckle?”

“We sure do, Swash!” Buckled agreed. “It seems we are destined to cross swords with these two, aren’t we? But, as you can see… the Captain didn’t want us going against our arch nemesis alone.”

“Arch nemesis? Really?” Mario asked. “I’m sorry, but that role has been filled already. You guys are a mere annoyance, at worst.”

“How rude of you!” Swash chided. “We’re fearsome Pegasirates! The scourge of Equestria’s skies! And we must warn you…”

“We’re much stronger than before!” Buckle finished. “So, prepare yourselves for a one-way trip to Tartarus!”

“And two ponies we’ve taken on before,” Spike yawned. “And that was BEFORE we got Boomregard and Diggsie. Also, we’ve gotten much stronger, too. So, I suggest you guys start running unless you really want another beating from us, no matter how many Pegasirates you have.”

“So you’re the infamous pet Dragon of the Bearers that I’ve heard so much about,” a new, female voice interrupted the combating quips between the four. Swash and Buckle looked up to see a rope being thrown over the ship, and Mario’s team witnessed the interesting display of a female Unicorn sliding down the rope.

The Unicorn in question looked around Twilight’s age, and was a rosy pink in terms of fur color with white freckles above her snout. Her mane and tail were both wavy yet short, colored a darker shade of pink with a black streak. Her ears were pierced with two small jewels— a ruby and an amethyst. A white tattoo was on her upper right foreleg— a heart shot with an arrow. Her Cutie Mark was a white heart over a brown ship helm. She wore a brown vest over her upper body, with a golden belt below it from which a red hilted cutlass hanged. In the middle of the belt was a large amethyst. Resting on top of her head was a brown pirate captain’s hat.

“Captain!” Swash and Buckle both gasped as she landed, saluting to her. The other Pegasirates did the exact same.

“At ease, everypony,” the mare smiled at her crew. Turning to Mario and Spike, she said, “It’s truly an honor meeting the Dragon of the Bearers… as well as the infamous Super Mario who has blessed Equestria with his presence. I’ve heard stories of your adventures, both of you. To think you would ever team up for some reason.”

“Who are ya, Miss?” Boomregard questioned the pirate captain.

“Oh, where are my manners?” she asked herself. “Rule one of introductions: always give your name first before asking for somepony else’s. Let’s be a lady about this.” Calming down, she bowed while taking her hat off with a sky blue glow of her horn, “Allow me to introduce myself. I am Captain Rose Heart of the vessel the Crimson Feather, at your service.” With a wink as she put her hat back on, she added, “You may call me Rosie."

“Uh, ’kay… Ah already have a nice gal, if yer tryin’ to flirt wit' me.”

“What?” Rosie asked. Blushing, Rosie realized what she just did. “Oh… no-no-no! That… that was too weird! Especially when I…!” Bowing in apology, she said, “Sorry! I’m just… I’m honestly new to this whole ‘Captain’ thing! You see, I don't like intimidating ponies, so I figured that would be better! That was supposed to be mischievous… but I came across as something else!”

“Ah, she’s so adorable, isn’t she?” Swash sighed, looking at her in awe.

“A truly, one-of-a-kind gal!” Buckle agreed. “Ain’t she, men?”

“Aye-aye to that!” several other Pegasirates agreed.

Rosie managed to compose herself thanks to her crew’s compliments. “Thank you all,” she smiled. “Now, onto business.” Turning back to Mario, she said, “Now, where were we? Oh, yes. You now know my name. Now, onto why I’m here.”

“To steal our money?” one of the Toads asked.

“To steal our wives?” a Koopa guessed.

“To steal our wives’ money?” an Earth Pony suggested.

“Well,” Rosie shrugged, “I will take your money if you’re offering…” Soon enough, Prosperous Dusk magically grabbed Mohan, flipped him upside-down, and began shaking him up and down, causing Beeatriz’ Coin bag to fall out of him with all 1,400 Coins spilling out.

“Hey! That’s my money!” Mohan scowled as the Pegasirates eagerly dived onto the Coins.

“Oh, quit your belly-aching,” Prosperous whispered. “It’s saving our lives, isn’t it? Also, I find it kind of funny.”

“You know,” Rosie considered, “I should try that more often. Ask if they would throw their money at my hooves... it's actually nice to not force it off of them.” Turning to Mario, she said, “But I’m not here for your convenient money. No, I’m here for the thing on your friend’s wrist, Mario.”

Diggsie looked at her wrist. “I see nothing here,” she said.

“The Boomerang Bro’s, actually,” Rosie answered, pointing to the Element of Honesty.

“Hey!” Mohan scowled. “I called dibs on that gem!”

“Do you know what that is, you foolish Monty Mole?” Rosie asked, looking at the Element of Honesty. “That is one of six Elements of Harmony. They are powerful magical artifacts that were once in Canterlot Castle, now scattered to the winds and are each somewhere in the various regions of Equestria. My crew and I have been after their trail for quite a while, now… and we know another one is all the way in Fillydelphia.”

“An Element of Harmony?” Prosperous asked, dropping Mohan on his head in shock. “Mario… that is a 1,500 year-old Equestrian treasure that belongs to the Bearers of the Elements of Harmony! What in blazes is it doing with you and your Boomerang Bro friend!?”

“Odd jewel bracelet is magical pony treasure?” Diggsie asked for everyone who was clearly confused by the scandal of Boomregard holding onto an ancient artifact.

“Ya know that special lady Ah was asked to hold onto this fer?” Boomregard confessed. “It’s fer the Bearer of Honesty… an’ Ah’ve been made the Temporary one.”

“I see,” Rosie nodded. “Well, I was going to make a typical speech requesting that you surrendered it or faced your game ending, but I think we both know that won’t work, will it?"

"Most likely not," Mario answered, sinking into a fighting stance.

"That's what I thought. So, let’s just skip to the battle part. Swash? Buckle? We take Mario, Spike, and the Boomerang Bro together!”

“Aye-aye, Captain!”

“Wait,” Beeatriz asked. “What about the rest of us? You’re just going to ignore us?”

“Oh, I have no quarrel with the rest of you,” Rosie answered, waving them away with her left hoof. “You can leave if you’re not going to be a threat to my mission.”

“You heard the lady,” Mohan interrupted. “Break’s over! Let’s get out of here!” Everyone but Beeatriz, Cranky, Matilda, and the Cakes left, leaving Mario’s team to fight the pirates.

Rosie unsheathed her cutlass and pointed it at Mario. “Well… I suppose the proper phrase for this situation is, ‘Have at you, Mario’!”

With that, the battle began. Spike, sensing Rosie was an enemy of a unique type, used Tattle on her. “So, this is the rookie pirate captain, Captain Rose Heart! She likes being called ‘Rosie’, by the way. She’s wanted by Equestria’s Sky Patrol for assaulting royal airships, stealing cargo and gems, impersonating a royal officer, and for an autograph by many of her male admirers in our air force… including a Wonderbolt or two. Let’s not let her cute and clumsy demeanor get the best of us, though. Rosie is a skilled fighter, using that cutlass of hers with her magic to strike with hard-to-block blows! She can also buck a foe with a strong kick, like every other pony enemy we’re gonna run into. If she doesn’t play offense, though, she’s got a pretty decent defense, creating an ancient Unicorn Pirate barrier to block attacks on her. Rosie can also call in generic Pegasirates if she’s left alone. She also carries healing items to heal her allies and herself. Luckily for us, she can’t fly like her Pegasirate crew, so she’ll be suspect to all attacks.

“I’m pretty sure like all pirate crews, Swash and Buckle will surrender if we defeat her first, so that makes Rosie our primary target. But, at the same time, I’m sure both of them are worth a decent amount of Star Points if we take them out. It’s your choice of if you want to play it safe and focus on her or take a risk and defeat Swash and Buckle.”

“I’ll try to remember that,” Mario said as he looked at the pirate captain. She looked anything BUT intimidating, but he knew better that looks can be deceiving. Still, Swash and Buckle, if his last battle with them said anything, were a threat like all airborne enemies. “Boomregard, focus on hitting them with your Wild Arc. Diggsie and I will bring them down!”

“Can do, partner!” the Boomerang Bro agreed, throwing his trusty Boomerang into Swash and Buckle, damaging them both twice. Diggsie and Mario both pounced on them, knocking them out of the sky. “Ya know when we go back to Zecora’s in the Everfree, Ah call dibs on the next upgrade.”

“Yeah, sure,” Mario promised. However, Swash and Buckle scowled at being stomped on.

“Are you guys sure you’ve got new tricks?” the blue Pegasirate questioned the plumber. “I’m sure you pulled that off back in the San Palomino! Meanwhile, we’ve actually gained some new skills! Behold!” Swash then bent down, allowing Buckle to jump onto his back. He then pushed up at incredible speeds, launching Buckled into the air right at Spike. Buckle then swept down, damaging the Dragon with a dive-bomb kick while Swash rushed towards Mario’s team, striking all of them with his wings at once. Rosie, meanwhile, slashed Mario with her cutlass.

“Is that the best you can do?” Rosie asked while Mario’s team recovered from the assault. “I thought the great Super Mario and the Dragon of the Bearers was tougher than that.”

“Don’t worry,” Mario replied. “We’re just getting warmed up. Speaking of which… Spike?”

“On it!” the Dragon agreed, releasing a Dragon’s Ember right at Rosie, actually damaging and burning her. “Whoa… I can’t believe that worked! Last time I hit somepony with a fireball, I only scarred Twilight’s face and gave her a new hairstyle!”

“I don’t even want to know how that came about,” the plumber retorted.

“It was an accident involving a time loop,” Spike remarked.

“Wow… not bad!” Rosie scowled, feeling the sting of fire damage. Mario meanwhile began Power Bouncing on Buckle, taking a chunk of his health away before he slipped up.

“Ooh, you’re good,” Swash scowled after taking a Boomerang to the face. “But not good enough! Buckle, shall we hit them with our new move again?”

“Aye-aye, Swash!” the brown Pegasirate agreed.

“Mario!” Diggsie called over. “I’ll protect you if we go underground!” Mario realized that Diggsie was offering to help him avoid taking a hit.

“Alright. Spike, Boomregard, brace yourselves!” Diggsie quickly dug underground while Boomregard and Spike— both who could take the hit— braced for impact as Swash and Buckle performed their new attack. However, Buckle had chosen to aim for Diggsie, which resulted in him missing completely.

“Blast! The Diamond Dog is good!” Buckle scowled after his failure. Rosie, however, realized what Diggsie was up to, and knew who she was about to strike.

“Buckle, catch!” she called, throwing him an Apple that he ate to recover health.

“Thanks, Captain, but why did you give me this?” Buckle was soon answered when the ground beneath his feet exploded with Diggsie’s Drill Upper, hitting him for major damage. Before he could retaliate, though, a Jackhammer Tail from Spike put him out of the fight. “Curses… lost again… up to you, Swash… protect the Captain…”

“Buckle!” Swash gasped. “You’ll pay for that, Dragon!”

“No more of your fancy new attack,” Boomregard said as he kneeled in pain. “Hey, Mario… ya still can attack, right?”

“Yeah, why?” Mario asked. Boomregard held up his wrist, signaling what he had in mind. “Oh, right.”

Mario and Boomregard held up the Element of Honesty, and yelled, “TRUTH’S RELIEF!” Soon, the move activated, and Mario and Boomregard took to healing their party, much to Rosie’s amazement as the move ended.

“So, the Elements have other uses besides the legendary Rainbow of Harmony?” she asked while Swash flew over and attacked Spike, glad to fly again. “Intriguing. This calls for reinforcements, doesn’t it?” She then whistled to signal for others to come. Soon, two normal Pegasirates flew over to serve their Captain. Mario and Spike focused on attacking them while Diggsie and Boomregard took on Rosie and Swash, respectively. Rosie soon cast up a shield that protected her from everything but the dying burn while Swash slashed Mario with his wings. Mario and Boomregard also each took a kick to the face by the Pegasirates, who were soon taken out. Swash, with a Jackhammer Tail from Spike, also fell.

“Blast… sorry, captain.”

“Now, this is the true Mario and Dragon of the Bearers I’ve heard stories about!” Rosie complimented the plumber at them as she slashed Mario again after her shield died. After a few slashes, she explained, “Not that the Bearers are any slouches since they’ve saved Equestria single-hoofed several times, but I’ve heard legends about you, Mario! You fail to disappoint me! And the Dragon of the Bearers has proven to be a legend as well.”

“Thanks, I guess,” Mario replied after Rosie took a couple hits from Diggsie and Spike. “But this has to end, you know. And I have just the Badge to do that.” He then jumped up with Hammer in hand, slamming it into the ground, causing it to shake, damaging Rosie. This was too much for the pink Unicorn, who collapsed.

“Well played…” she said, conceding defeat.

“Captain!” one of the Pegasirates called, helping Rosie up. “Are you alright?”

“I’ll be fine,” Rosie said, sheathing her cutlass as Swash and Buckle were carried to her ship. Turning to Mario, she said, “I yield, Mario. You and your team… you’re skilled fighters. I’ll let you go for now… but know that we’ll meet again. And I WILL get the Elements… hey, Boomerang Bro!”

“What?” Boomregard asked. Soon enough, tough, he was rammed into by a sudden mass, and knocked onto his back. “Hey… no fair! Ah can’t git up!’

“Exactly,” Mohan chuckled as he walked in front of Boomregard, ripping the Element of Honesty from his wrist. “I’ll take that, thank you very much.”

“Mohan!” Cranky scowled. “What are you doing!?”

“I call it ‘getting even’,” the Monty Mole justified. “Mario’s little rivalry cost me so many hard-earned Coins.”

“That you scammed out of these people!” Cranky pointed out. “I know these mountains are dangerous, but Mario has been helping keep your flimsy tour in-tact when you don’t know how to run a tour!”

“Mohan, you’re a con-mole!” Beeatriz accused. “Totally disloyal to your customers!”

“So what if I am?” Mohan asked with a sinister chuckle. “I look out for only one person, and it’s ME. I’ve kept my eye on this for a while… now, with you weak, I can take it. Especially now that I know just how powerful it really is, maybe I’ll keep it instead of selling it. You said I had to pry it off your wrist, and I did. Now… consider yourself off the tour!” The Monty Mole began digging in an attempt to escape.

Rosie scowled at this. “Crew! Stop him!” Soon enough, the Crimson Feather began firing cannonballs into the summit near Mario and Mohan’s area, causing the ground to cave beneath the cannon fire, sending Mohan underground, leaving a large hole. After Mario helped Boomregard up, he turned to Rosie. “Well, what are you waiting for, hero? Go get it back so I can challenge you for it another day!”

“Thanks,” Mario nodded. “I guess.” Turning to his team, he yelled, “Guys, let’s go!”

“Right!” the others agreed. The four then jumped down the hole. Beeatriz, the Cakes, and the two Donkeys watched Rosie silently smile at Mario’s team before her horn was surrounded by a similar sky blue aura. She then teleported away, leaving them all confused.

Prosperous Dusk silently walked back onto the summit, looking at the airship flying away. “So… a Temporary Bearer? This is a surprising development in Equestria… perhaps I should look further into it.”

---

Foal Mountains— Interior Area 2

Mario’s group managed to land nearby where Mohan landed, the Monty Mole planted face first in nearby rocks and the Element of Honesty on the ground, crushing an underground Florie’s Root. Mohan was still alive, but he was too unconscious to stop them from recovering the Element of Honesty. Boomregard grabbed his Element back, checking it over.

“Oh thank you kind sir!” the Florie’s Root smiled at Boomregard. “You truly are a savior to us Flories for doing that! Surely a savior like you would happen to be carrying water, yes?”

“Serves ya right, ya crook,” Boomregard glared at Mohan as he put it back on his wrist. “Too bad we can’t get everyone a refund now.”

“Well, that’s too bad,” the Florie’s Root said, getting attention back at her. “But… can you spare a cup of water? It’s dark down here and this soil is drying up.”

“You do realize we’ve been hunting your kind down because of how dangerous you are, right?” Mario said, holding his Hammer.

“…Oh.”

WHAM!

“…Yeah… I should have seen that coming…” the Florie’s Root moaned as she was pulled up and placed away by Spike.

“So, Mr. Boomregard,” Diggsie asked. “Is that bracelet gem… really Element of Harmony? I hear stories about them. Powerful magical artifacts, right?”

“Yeah,” Spike confirmed. “You see, Diggsie, believe it or not, that’s one of them. They originally belonged… to my pony friends. That’s why I was called ‘The Dragon of the Bearers’. Not bad of a nickname, I’ll have to admit.”

“Spike,” Mario chided, “not now.” Turning to Diggsie, he said, “Well, while we’re down here, I suppose we should probably explain why we have an Element in the first place…”

Mario then explained to Diggsie what happened in Canterlot with the Colts of Nocturne, how the Bearers were kidnapped, how Canterlot was sealed, and how they were on a quest to recover each of the scattered Elements of Harmony. Mario also explained how the Spirit of Honesty was telling him how six new Temporary Bearers were needed to be found in order to save the balance of harmony throughout the world.

“So, let me get this straight,” Diggsie said after it was all explained. “You all on mission to find Elements of Harmony before evil Nightmare Moon cult get them to take over world so you can save real Bearers and save world? And to save real Bearers, you need to find not just Elements but six temporary Bearers to take their place, one of whom is Mr. Boomregard? And you only have one month?”

“That sums it up,” Spike concluded.

“…I like this adventure!” Diggsie smiled, her tail wagging eagerly. “Always wanted to save Hearth’s Warming… with Dragon sidekick!”

“It’s the middle of spring,” Spike retorted. "And why am I the sidekick?"

“Have to wait six to nine months for that, then! But I settle for saving world in spring! Just need to talk to Mr. Pie for his permission to leave to save world and find Temporary Bearers!”

“Wow,” Mario remarked. “You sound pretty loyal to Clyde Pie. Why?” Diggsie’s energetic attitude quickly stopped, a frown appearing on her face.

“He offer me chance when no one else would,” the Diamond Dog confessed. “I mean, most ponies look at Diamond Dogs and instantly think us all bad. Just like how you did… but you all looked past that eventually… just like Mr. Pie did. He saw energetic girl eager to help out. He say ‘I remind him of Pinkamina’.” She sighed. “Mr. Pie gave me place to call home. I repay that with being a hard, faithful worker.” Turning to Mario, she said, “Let’s go, Mario! We go see Clyde Pie. First, let’s get out of here!”

“I couldn’t agree with you more,” Mario nodded. Diggsie sniffed around, finding a place where a tunnel connected to something, and dug out of there, leaving Mohan to wake up alone.

“Ugh… what happened?” he asked himself. He then realized that the Element of Honesty was gone. “Oh no! That bracelet!” He then scowled, realizing who could have taken it from him. “Mario….”

---

Interior— Area 3

Mario’s team emerged in a dark area around them. Mario turned on his Lantern, and could not help but notice the Buzzy Beetles Pokeys, and Swoopers that had chosen to make the underground their home. And that was on top of the angrier Diamond Dogs and Gangster Spiders. After managing to fight their way through all of them, it was a downward path to another lit chamber, picking up three Star Pieces on the way. This time, though, Mario could help but notice a large wooden panel with the boards making an X pattern, as well as a hole that was small enough to fit Pig Form… right next to a Heart Block and Save Block.

Diggsie looked at panel. “Can’t you dig through this?” Spike asked as she studied it. Diggsie shook her head.

“Funny story,” the Diamond Dog replied. “I risk getting splinters if I try to dig through wood. Splinters in paws hurt and make me angry… so, I no dig through wood. I dig through just pure ground.”

“Don’t worry,” Mario interrupted. “We can squeeze through this, and we should find something we’ll like. I have a feeling I know what it’s going to be…”

After hitting both Blocks, Mario’s group (even Diggsie once she was taught the basics) turned into Pig Form, with Diggsie being a brown Paper Pig. They all scurried through a tunnel… only to emerge in a room with a large brown chest. Mario’s group resumed their normal forms, and walked towards the chest—

“There you are, Mustache Man and Dragon!” a familiar voice bellowed. Soon enough, the ground exploded around them, revealing Carbon and three of his armored Diamond Dogs. Carbon scowled, “You keep me waiting! I was getting bored waiting here for you to come get Super Boots power up! I hear you like Boots, Mustache Man! Too bad I could not convince Commander Night Fortune that white pony would also be good Dragon bait for hunt.”

“Carbon,” Spike growled, remembering the Diamond Dog’s name. "How dare you plan to use Rarity!?"

Carbon chuckled. "You would have fallen for it. She actually threaten me for attacking you. She cares for you... and you her." Shaking his head, Carbon laughed, "Dragon and pony... it so would have been good bait. Night Fortune may have brains to my brawn, but he fails to understand emotion is best bait."

“Wait a second,” Diggsie interrupted Carbon's banter. “You know Carbon? Used to be famous bounty hunter of Unicorn Range! What he doing here?”

“I hunting, that all,” Carbon answered. “However, I have unique prey… Mustache Man and Dragon. I pay them back for defeat in Ponyville… except with less foal kidnapping. Lord Sirius said no kidnapping foals or doing anything that would repeat horse armor incident back in Neighpon. Pretty sure no Dragons in Neighpon… except for one Kirin, but that only half-Dragon. Not sure that exactly counts. But, I get off track… let’s just begin battle while I still can focus on immediate task. I must warn you all: I stronger since last battle!” He then howled, causing his fellow Diamond Dogs to howl in agreement.

Spike quickly used his Tattle on Carbon. “Okay, now that I know he’s unique, this is Captain Carbon, the Diamond Dog field captain for the Colts of Nocturne. He’s much stronger than any of the other Diamond Dogs we’ve fought before, and he’s also stronger than last time, too. He’s capable of throwing boulders on top of that stuff he did before. He also will get help from either regular Diamond Dogs or his more powerful Dig Dogs. Mario, it’s your choice again: either take down Carbon or risk getting rid of his allies… they’re still worth Star Points.”

“Good to know,” Mario nodded, looking at Carbon who had chosen to get between him and the Super Boots. He then jumped on the Diamond Dog, while Boomregard threw his Wild Arc at all of their foes. Diggsie, meanwhile, had chosen her side, attacking Carbon’s Dig Dogs. The Dogs countered with their scratches, but the Dig Dogs rammed into each of them, and Carbon slashed Mario with his claws. “Hey, Spike, I think you may have forgotten about those bigger Diamond Dogs.”

“Oh, the Dig Dogs,” Spike realized, Tattling on them. “They’re the tougher but dumber Diamond Dogs. They can’t summon others to fight with them, but they make up for their lack of intelligence in brute force. That armor, however, is really heavy… if you can cause them to be flipped over, they’ll have a hard time getting up.”

“Flip them over?” Mario asked, holding out his Hammer. Mario then used his Quake Hammer, sending the Dig Dogs on their back but Carbon was just damaged. Diggsie then used her Claw Pounce on the Dig Dogs to take one out of the fight while Boomregard’s Boomerang Toss damaged Carbon even more.

“That it!” the Diamond Dog growled, digging into the ground before pulling out a boulder the size of Mario and throwing it at Boomregard. The Boomerang Bro let out a yell of surprise before retracting into his shell to lessen the damage. “There more where that came from!”

Mario was surprised by Carbon’s strength. He had dealt with physically strong enemies before— Bowser, Grubba, O’Chunks, Petey Piranha, just to name a few— but he was shocked to see one who actually resorted to chucking BOULDERS at him or his team. This was going to be a tough fight.

While his partners dealt with the other two of his Dig Dogs, Mario focused on hitting Carbon, who took the damage in stride, and countered with his claws including with his underground strike. “Come on, Mustache Man! Don’t tell me you running low already. I only just get warmed up! Here, have more Dogs!” He pulled out his whistle, calling more Diamond Dogs to fight.

“Great, we just beat them all,” Diggsie moaned, holding her ears in pain due to the dog whistle. “We need to take down Carbon!”

“Couldn’t agree with ya more, darlin’,” Boomregard nodded, dusting off his hat. “Mario? Spike?”

“I agree,” Mario answered.

“Got it!” Spike replied. The plumber and the Dragon duo continued their assault on Carbon while Diggsie and Boomregard hit him as well, occasionally fighting off the other Diamond Dogs. Eventually, Carbon fell, leaving the other Diamond Dogs to fall right after him.

“…Not bad,” the black-furred Diamond Dog complimented. “You did get stronger than last time, Mustache Man… but I not give up hunt. No sir! We will meet again. For now, just take Super Boots… you earned them.”

“Won’t your boss be disappointed?” Mario asked Carbon as he got up. Carbon shook his head.

“Lord Sirius takes failures in stride for some reason,” Carbon replied. “He uses them as learning experience. Besides, he likes good challenge. Just like Snifit game show we had in Stump Glade. You and Dragon together are ALMOST strong enough to be considered minor threat to him… ALMOST. My suggestion? Get stronger. Get more powerful. Then, if you can stop me at full power, you have my permission to challenge Lord Sirius.”

“If he’s so powerful,” Spike asked, “why doesn’t he come down here and fights us himself? Too scared to get his hooves dirty? Or did after he beat us in Canterlot he didn’t think we were worth his time?”

Carbon then looked at his fellow Diamond Dogs sans Diggsie, who all looked at each other with reluctant frowns. “Uh, actually… Lord Sirius too injured for field duty,” Carbon nervously chuckled. “He actually wants to be out here gathering Elements and defeating you… but he too weak right now. Don’t worry… when he get back on his hooves to do everything, you’ll regret crossing claws with us! Until we meet again!” Carbon then dug underground, his fellow Diamond Dogs following him. Diggsie tilted her head in confusion.

“So, we now know that Carbon work for Sirius Nebula,” she said. “He dangerous... but if what he say about Sirius Nebula being stronger than him true, then we have a long way to go before being able to challenge him in a fair fight.”

“Lucky fer us,” Boomregard added, “he’s too injured to be a threat right now. However… Ah’m more worried about that chest. Last time somethin’ like this happened, we fell in a pit.”

“No worry,” Diggsie shook her head. “Radar nose can detect whether chests or switches are traps.” She then sniffed the chest. “No… no trap. Sense something in there.”

“Allow me,” Mario nodded, walking up to the chest and opening it. Inside of it was a pair of bright blue boots that looked so familiar to the plumber.

Mario has obtained the Super Boots! With these legendary boots, Mario’s base Jump Attack power increases by 1! Also, Mario can now use Ground Pound by pressing A while in mid-air to perform a spin and slam through things like wooden panels as well as hidden panels with Star Pieces Diggsie cannot dig through. In battle, Ground Pound has a chance of stunning enemies!

“I think I know what to do with these,” Mario grinned after putting the Boots on.

“Wait a minute,” Spike interrupted. “Mario, when was the last time you wore Super Boots? If you’d like, I can get instructions from Princess Celestia….”

“No need,” Mario replied. “I remember how to use these. Let me show you when we get back to that panel.” One trip back to the original chamber later, Mario leapt into the air, spun around, and slammed through the wooden panel easily, falling right through a hole that contained a light orange Warp Pipe. “Guys… I think we can get out through here!”

Spike, Boomregard, and Diggsie all joined him. “Wow, Mario!” Diggsie complimented. “That amazing! Perhaps if you were Diamond Dog, you’d make great spelunker! Well, time to go!” The four then took the Warp Pipe up to the surface.

---

Foal Mountain— Descent

None of the tourists were surprised to hear from Cranky that Mohan ripped them off. “I’m sorry, everypony,” the Donkey apologized to the scowling tourists. “I’d give you all full refunds… if Mohan was here.”

“He better not show his face again after what he did to Mario’s group,” Beeatriz scowled, actually getting angry. “He’s an ungrateful con-mole!”

“I’m surprised you’re not angry at losing your money permanently,” Matilda replied. “I mean, the pirate mare did steal it…”

“I can earn the money back later,” Beeatriz waved off. “But betraying everyone’s trust, stealing an Element of Harmony for pure greed? That, my friend, is unforgivable!” Beeatriz calmed down, and thought about it. “But… I can’t help but wonder…”

“What that pirate mare wants with the Elements?” Carrot asked for the group. “Yeah, I can’t help but think about that, too. She didn’t seem to desire the Elements out of greed… and she was took her defeat rather humbly. Perhaps… she’s with the Colts of Nocturne that kidnapped Pinkie Pie?”

“Carrot,” Cup Cake scolded, “don’t tell me you think that! I know she was a pirate, but she didn’t seem truly villainous for some reason.”

“Arr! Pirates!” Pumpkin squeaked.

“Yoh ho ho!” Pound imitated.

“Wait, what?” Cranky and Matilda asked, referring to what Carrot and Cup Cake were talking about. Cranky stepped forward. “What do you mean Pinkie Pie’s been kidnapped? And who did it?”

“…Oh boy,” Carrot realized, having let the news slip.

Soon enough, an orange Warp Pipe popped out of the ground, revealing Mario, Spike, Boomregard, and Diggsie. “Did we catch back up with the rest of the tour group?” Spike asked as they walked over.

“Oh, Spike, dearie, there you are,” Cup Cake greeted. “I see you all have the Element of Honesty back. Where’s Mohan?”

“He’s still underground as far as I know,” the Dragon shrugged. He then noticed the confused looks that everyone was giving his group. “…What?”

“Spike,” Cranky scowled. “We need to talk about what happened to the mare I owe my relationship to real quick.”

“As well as what happened with why Mr. Boomregard has become this ‘Temporary Bearer’,” Prosperous added.

“Oh. Well, here’s the short version…” Spike soon explained the events that happened the day Mario’s group came to Canterlot, how Sirius had kidnapped the Bearers and masterminded the attack on Canterlot, and how the Elements of Harmony were scattered around Equestria, and how due to his friends being unable to use the Elements, six new Bearers had to rise to the occasion, one of whom was Boomregard. “And that, Cranky, is why we needed on this tour in the first place,” Spike finished. “We have reason to believe that an Element is in Fillydelphia.”

“I see,” the old Donkey said, taking this all in. “Alright, son… I see your troubles. I apologize for all of the hassle Mohan’s been giving you. You’re not the first who’s been roped into his schemes… I just had a debt to pay off for something.”

“And I have to say I’m sorry for thinking poorly of you all at first,” Beeatriz nodded. “Especially after his boorish behavior.”

“I’ve dealt with ruder sorts than him,” Mario replied. “So… what happens now? Is the tour over?”

“What happens now?” Cranky repeated. With a smile, he answered, “We finished what we started, that’s what! You got a quest to finish up… and I have to finish this tour with you all, right?” Everyone was surprised by Cranky’s determination. “Mario, Spike… you two are working your rumps off to see your loved ones again, something that I can appreciate from a lifetime of traveling around the country just to be with Matilda. I know if I was in your situation, I’d probably move the sun MYSELF if it meant reuniting with Matilda. So… you have my help to get you there!”

“Mine too!” Beeatriz agreed. “I’d join your quest myself if I didn’t have things to do, but know that I’m in your corner, boys and Diggsie!”

“I must say, Mario,” Prosperous remarked as he walked forward. “You are quite the charismatic stallion… er, man. My point is that you can befriend just about anypony and get them to join your cause. That is no ordinary feat in our world. And Spike… well, you are rather loyal to the Bearers, aren’t you? I suppose that’s where the nickname that pirate mare came from…”

“I guess,” Spike shrugged. “Well, how much further do with have to go?”

“Only a bit,” Cranky recalled. “My old campground when I passed through here should be down the mountain path at the base near the Hollow Shades. We’ll stay there for the night and set out for Fillydelphia first thing in the morning.”

“Okay!” Mario nodded. “Lead the way, Cranky!”

“That I can do,” the old Donkey agreed. “Stay with the group, everypony… we’ll get down the mountain quicker if we’re all accounted for.” Everyone cheered with the change in management for the better, despite Mohan fleecing them out of their money. As they walked down the hill, Matilda approached him.

“Cranky,” she asked him. “What exactly happened between you and Mohan?”

“…I’d rather not talk about it, Matilda,” the male Donkey answered his love. “Let’s just say I had a debt to pay to him… and hopefully, this job paid it off.” The group continued down the mountain in silence, Mario smiling as he continued. He was that much closer to getting to the next Element of Harmony. However, as the group marched down the mountains, a certain Monty Mole popped out from underground….

Author's Note:

Happy Birthday to me... yes, it's my birthday! And to reward you all for being loyal readers, I decided to put up the next part of Chapter 2 early!

1) We now meet the leader of the Pegasirates who have been giving Mario and Spike a hard time, Rose Heart... a.k.a. Rosie. She has, without a doubt, been the character who has gone through the MOST changes. She used to be a Pegasus... but then, I decided, "Why not bring a rapier wielding Unicorn?" But then I decided I didn't like her original name and sword. I went with a cutlass... because pirates like cutlasses. At least Cortez did. He also used a hook, a rapier, and some other third sword. A saber, I believe. Anyways, she's a Unicorn among Pegasi... and many of her male crew adore her.

And behold! We found the story's Whacka! You have to be absolutely cruel to smack the poor thing. It's having a good time! And the best part is that most ponies are vegitarians, so they would have no need to hurt the Whacka!

2) Battle on top of a mountain. Epic? Yes. I was trying to convey that message. Anyways, more underground to explore, getting one of my favorite power-ups as we do so.

3) So, why did I finally choose this part to have the Pegasirate battle? Honestly, nowhere else would fit with what I had planned.

Why did Mohan choose NOW to attack Boomregard? He was at his weakest after fighting Rosie. Too bad Rosie does not like cheaters... and had cannons on her ship. I haven't blown something up in a while. So, here's something exploding.

Carbon makes a return with Dig Dogs backing him up? You knew he was going to return as a boss. He and Diggsie aren't so different, are they? They both are loyal to a pony, and are adventurers. They just have different sides in this conflict... and Carbon likes fights and hunting worthy prey. Night Fortune had to talk him out of risking their plan by using Rarity as bait for Spike... but she can't help herself if she's really good baby Dragon bait.

So, Cranky finally takes control of the tour. Good for him! Too bad Mohan is on the team's trail... and he's absolutely livid.

Will Mario's team survive their upcoming battles? Find out next time on Super Mario Bros. Z! ...Okay, that was HORRIBLE.