• Published 25th Dec 2012
  • 6,863 Views, 552 Comments

Paper Mario: The Land of Harmony - Blade Squall



Mario & friends travel to Equestria for a vacation. Unfortunately, bad stuff happens. Now, Mario, Spike, and six new heroes have to save the Elements of Harmony... and Peach. Oh, and everything's made of paper. Have fun!

  • ...
10
 552
 6,863

Chapter 2 Part 1

-MARIO-

Foal Mountains— Base

Mario’s trio emerged from the stone pipe right after Mohan and Cranky did. They were followed by their Bee benefactor and the Cakes.

While Mario waited for everyone, he decided to get accustomed to his surroundings… the mountain ahead of him. While the plumber was again glad he did not have to go through an ice world on top of climbing a mountain range, the Foal Mountains still had rather rugged terrain as far as he could tell. Mario looked upwards, and saw the rocky path he was required to sign a waiver in order to travel through. Though Mario could not tell what it was for sure, there was no doubt in his mind:

Just by looking at it, Mario knew that the mountains were alive with something.

“ALRIGHT, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN,” Mohan announced though his megaphone once everyone was gathered around him. This snapped Mario out of his thoughts at the expense of his ears. “WE’VE ARRIVED AT THE FOAL MOUNTAINS. NOW, WE’VE GOT A LOT OF HIKING TO DO BEFORE WE MAKE CAMP FOR THE NIGHT. OUR GOAL IS HOLLOW SHADES! CRANKY WILL BE LEADING MOST OF US THROUGH THE MOUNTAINS! IF YOU FOLLOW HIS AND ESPECIALLY MY ADVICE, WE ALL SHOULD COME OUT OF THIS WITHOUT A SCRATCH! ANY QUESTIONS?”

Only a purple hoof was raised. “Mr. Mohan and Mr. Donkey,” Prosperous Dusk questioned, “what is the likelihood we would run into monsters on our adventure tour?” Certain members of the group looked at him, confused.

“...What?” Matilda asked for them all. “Monsters in Foal Mountains?”

“Well,” Prosperous explained, “I have done my research on the Foal Mountain trail the settlers of Fillydelphia had taken before us, as a majority of the original settlers lost their lives in these mountains. I wanted to know why before I set hoof here, and my research says these mountains were ponykind’s first and most infamous encounters with Diamond Dogs.”

“Did you say… Diamond Dogs?” Carrot Cake asked the professor.

“But of course, my yellow companion,” Prosperous answered. “While most Diamond Dogs have now made their homes in places like Rambling Rock Ridge, and the Unicorn Range, Diamond Dogs roamed the Foal Mountains underground, kidnapping and capturing any creature foolish enough to travel these mountains alone. Their favorite two preys are ponies or baby Dragons with loose pockets of gems. And they aren’t the only creatures in these mountains, either. The venomous Gangster Spiders, for instance, have been fighting Diamond Dogs for supremacy for generations, praying on unsuspecting travelers and either eating or enslaving them. They’re quite huge, too. Perhaps our guide, Mr. Donkey, has encountered these creatures before.”

“Me?” Cranky asked.

“Well, you did say your game nearly ended when you traveled this path before,” Prosperous recalled. “I was just assuming those creatures were the reason why?”

“…True,” Cranky confessed. “Lucky for me, they were so focused on each other I could live to see the next day.”

“So that’s why you didn’t want us going alone,” Spike realized. “You’ve dealt with these guys before, and you don’t want us risking our necks against them!”

“Yeah,” Cranky nodded. “But while those two creatures will sooner go after each other than me, that can’t be said about anything else on the trail… especially the terrain. Besides, Diamond Dogs and Gangster Spiders would only come after you if you go underground into the mountains themselves. And the trail we’re going to take shouldn’t involve us going underground provided we don’t have to alter our route.”

“Okay, that’s great and everything,” Mohan interrupted, “but we’ve got to get moving. We’re already behind schedule thanks to the plumber, the cowboy, and the Dragon. I’m not going any later because of a lecture on Diamond Dogs. So, just for that, Mr. Smarty Pants, I’m making a new rule: NO SPOUTTING USELESS EXPOSITION JUST TO SCARE YOUR FELLOW CUSTOMERS!” Turning back to the group, he said, “Ignore him. We’re not going to see any monsters on our trip. That is a Mohan Equestrian Adventure Tour guarantee!”

“I hope you don’t mind if I don’t take your word for it,” Mario replied, holding out his Hammer. “I’ve been on too many adventures to know that anything that can go wrong WILL go wrong. Boomregard, Spike, be ready for whatever is going to happen.”

“Got it,” the Dragon nodded.

“Yes, sir,” Boomregard agreed, twirling his Boomerang around. “Ain’t nothin’ gonna git the drop on us.” Mohan snorted in frustration.

“Fine, join the crazy wagon of the nosy Unicorn who dug into too many myths,” the Monty Mole scoffed. “We’re wasting daylight. Let’s move!” Mohan began walking down the path, signaling that it was time to do the same.

Mario’s group was about to walk forward, but the Bee from earlier flew in front of them. “I’ve been meaning to bring this up with you three,” she told them. “What is wrong with you all?”

“Huh?” Mario asked.

“If I didn’t pay the man,” she explained, “I’m certain you would have attacked him! And again, you all look like you’re itching for a fight, disagreeing with our tour guide! Seriously, who brings a Hammer everywhere they go?”

“Miss,” Boomregard replied, “Ah’m sure we all appreciate yer concern fer group safety an’ Ah know we owe it to ya fer sacrificin’ yer money fer us, but that Mohan guy ain’t nothin’ more than a greedy snake. Ya saw how greedy he is, inflatin’ those prices beyond reason. Not to mention he was mighty quick to shootin’ down that there friend o’ Mario an’ Spike’s history lesson ’bout this place.”

“It still doesn’t make you right for trying to attack him,” the Bee scolded. “Look, I paid your way here, okay? All I ask is for you all to hear me out. I agree with you that Mohan is greedy and selfish. However, that’s still no morally good reason for resorting to violence against him! And from the looks of it, I’d say he’s trying to bait you into fighting him.”

“Well, he does seem like he’s icthin’ to take this from me,” Boomregard defended, looking at his wrist. “Ah can’t let him have it.”

“Wow,” the Bee breathed, looking at it. “That’s… that’s really pretty. What is it?”

“It’s a treasure,” Mario explained without elaborating on the details. “Boomregard here is holding onto it for someone until we see her, again. Anyways, getting back on topic, we’ll try not to fight him… but there’s no guarantee we won’t fight anything.”

“You don’t really believe that guy, do you?” the Bee asked.

“Trust me,” the plumber assured her. “Whenever I go ANYWHERE, I’m going to have to fight something. I just don’t know what it is until I find it. Anyways, I almost forgot to introduce myself and my friends, here. I’m Mario. The Dragon is Spike, and we call our Boomerang Bro friend ‘Boomregard’… as we don’t really know his name and that’s the only one we can call him.”

“Ah have a weird case o’ amnesia,” Boomregard explained.

“Well then,” the Bee nodded, “I’m Beeatriz. Nice to meet you all. I hope we can get through this tour just fine!” With that, the Bee flew ahead of them.

“She’s a rather nice lady,” Spike said. “Anyways, we better get going. Fillydelphia and the next Element await us!” Mario hit the nearby Save Block, and began heading up the hill.

---

Foal Mountains— Ascent

Soon, after a bit of hiking uphill, Mario’s team caught up to Cup Cake, whose two foals were riding comfortably on their mother’s back, giggling at the thought of adventure. They were also playing with what appeared to be a baby alligator. Mario only could tell it was alive by the fact that it was waging its tail back and forth and blinked in a rather slow manner. “So,” the plumber asked as he looked at the Cake family, “who are these little ones?”

“Our son, Pound Cake, and our daughter, Pumpkin Cake,” Carrot Cake explained, walking up next to him. “The alligator there, Gummy, belongs to Pinkie Pie. Don’t worry… he’s somehow harmless. Before you ask why they’re not Earth Ponies… genetics. Very complicated genetics.”

“I wasn’t going to say anything,” Mario replied, looking at the two babies who waved at him. “However, I’m going to ask why they’re here… and why are you guys on this tour.”

“Well, dearie,” Cup Cake explained, “we’ve been thinking about how we could attempt to help you out with your efforts to rescue Pinkie Pie. To be honest, we’ve thought of one thing… our cooking skills. But we need to stop in Fillydelphia to pick up a few things to help make treats for you and your friends. Also, we remembered Pinkie’s family… Clyde Pie and Sue Pie would want to have an idea of what happened to their daughter.”

“Pinkie’s… family?” Mario asked. “You mean they live in Fillydelphia?”

“More or less a rock farm near Fillydelphia,” Carrot Cake corrected. “Before Pinkie came to us, she grew up on a rock farm with her sisters. It was a very hard life for a young filly as energetic as Pinkie to work on a place with something dull like rocks. As soon as she was old enough, Pinkie left home to come to Ponyville.”

“Dare I ask what a rock farm is?” Mario questioned. Spike and Boomregard both shrugged, while the twins looked down in sadness.

“Pinkie…” Pound breathed.

“Pie…” Pumpkin added. “Miss her…”

“Very much…” Pound agreed, hugging his sister. Gummy, sensing the two’s discomfort, walked over and nuzzled them in an act of sudden care.

“Poor dears,” Cup Cake sighed, looking at her twins. “Don’t cry, little ones… she’ll hopefully be home, soon.”

“If ya’ll ask me,” Boomregard summarized, “it sounds like Miss Pie ain’t mighty close to her folks with something like that in her background.”

“Pinkie writes to them on certain occasions,” Carrot Cake answered. “But… she could be closer to her family. I don’t think Pinkie has seen them face-to-face ever since she first walked into Sugarcube Corner one afternoon, seeking a place to call home. And that was as a filly. I’ll be honest: Cup Cake and I have tried our best bringing up Pinkie before Pumpkin Cake and Pound Cake were born. But ever since this whole ‘Elements of Harmony’ business began a few years ago where she ran off into the Everfree Forest alongside Twilight and the others, I can’t help but worry every time she rushes out of Sugarcube Corner’s front doors on an adventure given to her by Princess Celestia and wonder if I have failed to protect her. There are times where I can’t sleep due to fear, worried that she had pushed her luck one too many times and had gotten a game over. Recently, though? I’m afraid my worries are finally starting to be justified… that’s why I can’t help but fear meeting her real father and telling him what’s happened. I’ll accept whatever anger, fury, and criticism Clyde Pie will have for me as a father.”

“Carrot… you don’t have to take all of the blame for Pinkie,” Cup Cake replied. “It’s not your fault that this happened. Nopony, especially not you, could have predicted Pinkie Pie being kidnapped. Nopony had any idea she would be the Bearer of Laughter, either.”

“…But why do I feel like it is my fault she became this hero?” the yellow Earth Pony questioned his wife. “That any harm she suffers is because I didn’t protect her. That there will be a time that she’s gone for good because I failed to equip her with the proper knowledge, go out on her quests to look after her… or put my hoof down and say she could not go on these dangerous quests, no matter WHO asked her or what destiny she was given. And every time Pinkie ran out to do something that decides the fate of Equestria, I can’t help but ask what would happen to her if she failed to come back… and what if Pumpkin and Pound Cake take after her with these dangerous missions.”

“…Hey, Mario?” Spike asked in a whisper. “Should we… tell them what Princess Peach found in Starswirl’s book?”

“No,” Mario said in response. “I hate to deny them that information, but it’s kind of better this way. Trust me… the Dark Prognosticus, the book Starswirl used as a reference, may be a book able to predict all futures, but it’s a terribly depressing book. The last known reader, in a bout of depression in response to losing his love thanks to his father’s actions, tried to destroy the entire multiverse by getting Peach and Bowser married; a union so wrong that it started the apocalypse.”

Beeatriz, who was flying near them, simply blinked at what Mario just said. “…What?” she whispered.

“It’s a long story,” the plumber told her. Turning back to the Cakes, Mario said aloud, “Do not worry. We’ll get her back… I’m used to saving my princess all of the time from a fire-breathing Koopa who has on occasions grown the size of a castle and I usually have to go through seven, maybe eight dangerous regions just to get to that point. What’s six mares from an evil cult?”

“…I can only hope, Mr. Mario,” Carrot smiled at the plumber. He then looked over at Spike, who breathed fire on a plant that hopped out of the ground in panic and pain before being bopped on the head. “Uh, Spike, what are you doing to that plant?”

“I found a Florie’s Root, sorry,” Spike replied before holding the offending weed up to Mario.

“…Why…?” the Florie’s Root questioned. “Why did a Dragon have to come this way…?” Spike then pocketed the plant.

A while down the trail, Monty Moles not affiliated with Mohan as well as a well blended in Cleft decorated it. Some Monty Moles quickly began throwing rocks at the travelers for virtually no reason other than the fact that they could, but they mainly focused on Mario, who countered with a Multibounce on each of their heads. Spike’s improved Jackhammer Tail took down a Monty Mole with one shot while Boomregard’s Boomerang Toss easily dispatched the other. The Cleft, on the other hand, was harder to take down due to its sharp hide able to avoid being stepped on by Mario and its rock body being immune to both Mario’s Hammer and Spike’s new Dragon Ember. However, Mario had stocked up on just the solution: POW Blocks.

After flipping it on its back, it was easy to take down. Mohan looked at the three’s skill with mild interest while others stared in total awe.

“Where’d you learn to battle like that?” Cranky asked Mario. “Ain’t any Equestrian form of martial arts… and certainly is more than Mohan can muster.”

“Please,” the Monty Mole scoffed. “I could have taken them ALL on with one arm tied behind my back! Those guys just beat me to the punch is all.” Mohan was then thrown a rock at by a random Monty Mole, who chuckled at him before retreating into its hole.

Mario’s group rolled their eyes in annoyance. “I still can’t believe that wild Monty Moles and Clefts are out here,” Mario remarked. “Well, we can deal with them at least.”

Soon enough, though, they came to a rather interesting sight… a giant chasm too big for anyone to jump across.

“Hold on, here,” Cranky scowled, looking around. He then spotted two wooden posts, and tilted his head in confusion as he walked in between them. “…Now where’s the bridge? Last time I was through here, there was a bridge….”

“Well,” Carrot asked, “how are we supposed to get to Fillydelphia now?” he asked. Beeatriz, meanwhile, looked ahead over the chasm. She then gasped as she spotted two similar posts, and something sticking out of the ground between the posts.

“Hey! What’s that?” she asked. She then flew over the chasm, looking at the object sticking out of it.

“What is that?” Matilda yelled over to the Bee. Beeatriz pulled at it.

“I… I think it’s the bridge!” Beeatriz replied. “It’s all folded up like paper! Hold on, I can pull it over! Give me a moment!” The crowd cheered for the Bee as she tugged at it, pulling the bridge out with all of her strength. Soon enough, the bridge started to unfold until she reached the other side, where she inhaled before spitting a small glob of honey out onto the ground, which she stuck the end of the bridge to in order to get it to stay.

“Nice work, Beeatriz!” Mario cheered. “That’s a useful skill… if not somewhat strange.”

“Thanks,” the Bee smiled. “I learned how to make honey into an adhesive. Anyways, you guys who can’t fly can cross the bridge!”

“Thank you, Beeatriz!” Spike smiled. “Let’s get going!” Mohan pushed past him. “Hey!”

“What part of I’m in front at all times did you not get?” he asked the Dragon. Pointing to the Bee, Mohan said, “While I thank you for allowing us to go forward, the same goes for you!” Mohan then crossed the bridge, leaving others frustrated.

“He IS a jerk,” Beeatriz huffed, crossing her arms. “Is he always this rude?”

“Unfortunately,” Cranky grumbled. “Trust me… if I didn’t need him, I wouldn’t be out here with him. Anyways, everypony single file over the bridge. It’s safer that way. Oh, and if you can somehow go into some kind of 2-D Paper Form with some kind of R Button… whatever you do, don’t. We’re not going to be held liable for your stupidity.”

“What kind of cruel soul or complete sucker would do that?” Spike asked, looking at no one in particular… but somehow looking at the screen.

“Please,” Mohan waved off from all of the way at the other side of the bridge. “That’s only a scare tactic, Cranky Doodle! Watch this!” He then walked onto the bridge, and turned to some kind of Paper Form, surprising Mario that he had it… only to slip through the bridge footholds. “AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!”

“…Yay,” Cranky smiled, actually happy with Mohan’s accident. Soon enough, everyone crossed the bridge, laughing all of the way at the Monty Mole’s rightfully deserved expense. Mohan, however, soon popped out of the ground next to them on the other side.

“So,” Mohan said in an attempt to save face, “as you all can see, using Paper Form on bridges is a bad idea. That’s a Mohan Equestrian Adventure Tour tip, free of charge! But, since I am such a solid rock, I can survive falls like that no problem! Anyways, let’s get going!”

“You better not have used that Life Shroom I bought ya.”

After a bit more walking and Mario’s group taking down a few more wild Monty Moles, Mario noticed a Quake Hammer Badge. This wouldn’t be much of a problem, but it was hiding behind a group of stalagmites that seemed impossible for even Paper Form to slip through. Mario groaned about the fact that he would have to come back for such a useful badge… and hoped he could find a way to deal with Clefts SOON.

A bit further in their path, though, the tour group encountered an unusual sight. A large section of earth that looked darker and softer than usual occupied the path in front of them. The nearby rock wall was without any means of crossing. On the other side of this, though, was a light brown Warp Pipe.

“Well, this is the hard one,” Cranky sighed, looking at the dark sand.

“What’s the matter now, Cranky?” Mohan complained. “It’s just mud at the worst.” With that, he jumped in… only to begin to sink. “What the… whaa!” After a bit, the sand began to pull him down so that only his head was visible.

“Actually,” Cranky elaborated, “that’s Foal Mountains brand quicksand. It won’t end your game, but getting stuck in it is going to be awful.” Turning to Beeatriz, he asked, “You think you can carry us all across one at a time?”

“Um, actually,” Beeatriz answered, “I’d normally love to, but… I can’t carry passengers across long gaps like that very well.”

“That’s rather disappointing to hear,” Prosperous Dusk spoke up. “Mr. Donkey, is there any way we can get across so we don’t end up like the Monty Mole?”

“I can still hear you!” Mohan yelled.

“…Hmm… there is a way we can fix this,” Cranky suggested. “We’d need somepony to go underground to get to it, though.”

“I’m on it,” Mario volunteered.

“Wait, really?” Cranky asked.

“At this point,” Mario answered, “if I didn’t say I was going to do it, someone— namely the Monty Mole who I get the distinct impression does not like me— would volunteer me. So, I’m just going to cut out the middle man. Now, what am I going to look for?”

“…You have WAY too many adventures, son,” Cranky said to Mario, giving him a pat on the back. “But… I guess the fastest way underground is that Pipe over there. How you’re gonna reach it is beyond me, but once you’re underground, you’re gonna be looking for a blue switch. But I’ve got a warning for you: watch out for Diamond Dogs and Gangster Spiders.”

“Right,” Mario nodded, realizing that Prosperous’ exposition was actually sound. “Now, to find a way over there…” However, he noticed Cranky no longer paying attention to him… and instead to the red 3-D Paper Pig that was casually running across the surface of the quicksand.

“Yeah! Arctic won’t have anything on me with this training!” the Pig cheered in a familiar voice. The Pig then spotted the others looking at her, including Mario and Spike.

“Wildfire?” the Dragon asked. “Is that you?”

“Oh, guys!” the Pig gasped before walking over to Mario. “…Uh, guess I forgot to mention that Pig Form can easily waddle through rough sand and mud, didn’t I? It’s not just for squeezing for tight spaces… sorry!” With that, Wildfire popped out of Pig Form and took flight above the quicksand. “So… what are you guys doing all of the way out here?”

“Hey… could you help a Monty Mole out and pull me out of here?” Mohan asked her. “I kind of can’t move my massively muscle-packed arms.”

“Give me a moment,” Wildfire answered him. “I just want to catch up with my saviors and fellow studiers of Papergami… and a Boomerang Bro.”

“Ah’m new, ma’am,” Boomregard waved at her. “Mario an’ Spike here taught me that Pig Form technique, by the way.”

“We’re just heading to Fillydelphia,” Mario answered her previously asked question. “So, why are you training in the mountains?”

“Almost nopony comes out here to the Foal Mountains due to how dangerous it is,” Wildfire replied. “It’s the perfect training site without being disturbed. But… I’m planning on going someplace else to find the others… perhaps Drizzle. Maybe he was locked up in Whitetail Wood? You know, he was always the quiet one, almost putting Arctic to shame.” With a blush, she added, “Not to mention the way he can turn into a Paper Frog back into a handsome stallion was kind of cute.”

“Okay,” Mario nodded, not wanting to get involved in this Kunochi’s love life. “So, Pig Form can walk over this sand?”

“Yep,” Wildfire smiled. “Well, good luck!” Soon enough, she flew away, leaving everyone stunned.

“Wait, you crazy ninja pony!” Mohan yelled. “You forgot to get me out of here!” Mario, Spike, and Boomregard chuckled before turning into their Pig Forms, and walked through the sand in a casual manner. “Oh, if you weren’t my only sensible hope other than the Bee, you three would SO be off this tour!”

After on the other side and popping out of their Pig Forms, Spike asked, “You know, in hindsight, shouldn’t we have just taught everypony Pig Form?”

“That would take too long,” Boomregard shrugged. “An’ Ah’ll be honest… don’t ya just enjoy seein’ that overchargin’ jerk be put in his place?”

“Wait until I get my hands on you three! You better deliver and find a way across! Cranky! Matilda! Get me out of here!”

Mario just shook his head before jumping down the Warp Pipe with his partners.

---

Foal Mountains— Interior Area 1

Mario, Spike, and Boomregard barely even realized they had emerged from the Pipe before all three of them tripped over the exit. The area around them was entirely dark, barely able to see in front of them. Spike attempted to light the area in front of them with his fire, but it only for a second.

“Oh, great,” the baby Dragon groaned. “I can’t see… you guys?”

“Nope,” Mario and Boomregard shook their heads.

“Hold on,” Spike recalled. “Matilda said something about this… we need to use the Lantern she gave us. What did she say about how to use it? Press the X Button to turn the Lantern on or off?”

“I think so,” Mario remembered. He then turned on the Lantern, lighting the area around them. It didn’t look anything out of the ordinary by cave standards. Except for the rubies, sapphires, and topaz gems embedded in the ways, much to the baby Dragon’s drooling pleasure.

“Jewels… glorious jewels…”

“Uh… Spike?” Boomregard asked. “What’s goin’ on?”

“Dragons… eat gems,” the plumber replied as the baby Dragon grabbed a diamond from the wall, and began munching on it. “At least, Equestrian Dragons do, if I’ve learned anything.” He then whispered to Boomregard, “But I’ve seen non-Equestrian Dragons eat jewels before, too.” Turning to a ruby-eating Spike, Mario said, “We’ve got a limited battery life on this thing, Spike. Let’s move.”

“Aw,” the Dragon pouted. “But I’m hungry…”

The trio then began walking through the cave, attempting to figure out where to go. It was an upward path towards the left, lit up thanks to the light of the Lantern reflecting off of the gems. However, it was not an easy trek up the hill, especially once Diamond Dogs popped out of the ground, and they weren't too happy to see intruders in their mines. Sure they were defeated, but there were so many of them attacking that Mario was afraid his Lantern’s battery wasn’t going to last through all of it. They also ran into another Florie’s Root, hanging from the ceiling.

“Ha!” she laughed. “I’ve heard about you guys going around, catching all of us! Well, you’re not gonna get me? You see this? Ceiling. You’d have to either be a fire-breathing Dragon or have something to throw to get me!”

“Okay,” Boomregard said, holding up his Boomerang. One could imagine how well that ended up for the Florie’s Root that soon ended up in Spike’s possession.

Soon enough, though, they emerged in a well lit underground chamber. Mario’s trio looked around, confused. “Okay,” the plumber said after turning off his lantern, “what’s going on, here?”

“Argh! Let go, dumb spiders!” a female voice yelled. The three turned their immediate attention to an area towards the ceiling, where a rock platform stuck out of the wall… and what was on the platform. A Diamond Dog was surrounded on both sides by large spider creatures all wearing top hats, the Dog’s arms restrained by webbing. The apparent leader of these spiders was a red one with a brown mustache. But that’s not what got their attention.

It was the fact that the Diamond Dog being held captive was female around Mario’s size. She had dark brown fur with rather floppy ears. Her tail, rather than being thick and covered in sharp points like the ones Mario’s group had encountered so far, was rather thin and sharp, so Mario assumed it was a gender thing. She was wearing a dark red hooded sweatshirt with the word, “Dig” bedazzled into the front of it and a pouch on the front. Her collar was actually studded with yellow gems. She looked like a lost teenager.

“Sorry, toots,” the leader of the spiders answered. “Ya see, we ain’t gonna let yous go, see? We’ve seen your kind diggin’ all o’er this joint, see? Diggin’ up all o’ these gems. Well, Gangster Spiders like gems, too, see? So, yous got a new job bein’ our gem hunter, see? We’re gonna be sendin’ yous down into the lower caves to work, see? See how strong ya are, see?”

“You let me go,” the Diamond Dog scowled, “and I show spiders just how strong I am!”

“Aw, ya have a little backbone,” the leader smirked. “I like that, see? We’ll see how much fun ya have with a broken spirit.” He then took something out of the Diamond Dog’s pouch… it looked like a purple and red stone.

She gasped at the theft. “No! You no take rare Hoohoo Stone! I was gonna make good Hammer with that with Mr. Pie’s help!”

“Too bad, toots,” the leader laughed. He then shot out a web downwards to the lower level. “Boys, let’s get out of here, see?”

“Yeah!” the other Gangster Spiders agreed. They wrapped the Diamond Dog they held with more webbing before heading to climb down the web rope with their prisoner… only to run into Mario’s trio.

“Uh, Boss… who put this plumber, the Dragon, and the Boomerang Bro here?” one of the Gangster Spiders asked.

“I dunno, boys,” the Gangster Spider leader answered. “They weren’t here when we caught this here dame, see? So, we gots to clear them out the way. But… Dragons are just as skilled gem hunters, too… so let’s take him!”

“Wait, what?” the Diamond Dog asked, looking at the odd trio. It didn’t take much for Mario’s team to realize they were in a fight against five Gangster Spiders.

“So, these guys are Gangster Spiders,” the Dragon answered. “They’re a powerful enemy you don’t want to be underprepared for, and think they run Equestria’s underground. They can shoot up webs to hang from so they can avoid your Hammer, Mario. It’s because Hammer attacks, for some reason, do double damage to them. But however, don’t let them bite you. Their fangs can numb you with powerful poison.”

“That how I get caught,” the Diamond Dog interjected. “Don’t worry, though… it wear off after while.”

“Not to mention they, while hanging from their web, can spit webbing at us,” Spike added. “Luckily, that’s not poisonous. Still, let’s be careful with this.”

“Right,” Mario agreed, stomping the nearest Gangster Spider with a Power Bounce that would take one out of the fight by the time Mario was done. Boomregard, meanwhile, took to using his Wild Arc, damaging the others. However, two of the remaining ones rushed towards Boomregard, biting him while the others shot webs to evade them. The Gangster Spiders backed away from Boomregard, who was looking a little queasy.

“Ah think Spike an’ our little damsel weren’t kiddin’,” the Boomerang Bro said, signaling he had been poisoned.

“Yeah, see?” the Gangster Spiders’ leader taunted. “And there’s more where that came from, see?”

“Okay, time to heat things up,” Spike growled, inhaling to build up power. He then released a breath of hot Dragon’s Ember into one of the ground Gangster Spiders, taking it down with one shot. Boomregard, meanwhile, gulped down one of the Tasty Tonics to cure his poisoning. Mario sent a Power Smash into the other ground Gangster Spider, knocking it out of the fight, leaving only two to shoot webs at Mario and Spike. However, between a Jump, a Jackhammer Tail, and Boomregard’s Wild Arc, they weren’t much trouble.

The five Gangster Spiders groaned in pain as Spike chuckled at the victory. “Ugh… what happened, see?” the leader of the Spiders asked.

“We got beat… Boss…” another Gangster Spider answered. “We ought to scurry out of here.”

“Agreed!” The Gangster Spiders soon retreated, dropping both the Diamond Dog and her treasure. The trio walked over to the Dog, who was trying to get out of her bindings.

“Thank… you… Mustache Man… baby Dragon… and Boomerang Bro,” the Diamond Dog said between bites at the web and spitting it up. “Um… could use help…”

“I don’t know,” Spike interjected. “I mean, I dealt with Diamond Dogs before, and you guys tend to try to kidnap ponies for slave labor.”

“That only rude dogs in Rambling Rock Ridge or Unicorn Range who kidnap ponies for treasure!” the Diamond Dog insisted. “Mom and Dad taught me to seek honest work. So, I do just that. Have job on rock farm. Find gems for mentor Mr. Pie… Speaking of which, he must be worried! Um, again… can I ask for help? Please?” As if to emphasize her point, she looked up at the three, her eyes big and soulful, and making a puppy pout while wagging her free tail.

“Spike,” Mario said, “she’s not in any position to attack us. We can just help her out, right?”

“…I better not regret this,” Spike said, holding out his sharp claws while Boomregard held out his Boomerang. Between the two of them, they cut the Diamond Dog free.

“Alright! Thank you!” she cheered. She picked up Spike, and surprised him with a lick up his cheek.

“Okay, this is even WORSE!” the Dragon complained as she put Spike down to pick up her Hoohoo Stone and pocketing it.

“Nice to meet you all!” the Dog smiled, somewhat forgetting that she was about to be kidnapped. “I called ‘Diggsie’! What your names?”

“Well, I’m Mario,” the plumber introduced. “The Dragon you just licked is Spike… and we honestly don’t know what our Boomerang Bro’s real name is, but call him ‘Boomregard’.”

“Why you no know your name?” Diggsie asked Boomregard.

“Ah have a nasty case of amnesia,” the Boomerang Bro answered, somewhat depressed that the teenage Diamond Dog brought it up. Changing the subject, he asked, “So, Miss Diggsie, what were you doin’ down here if ya work on a rock farm?”

“Oh, right,” Diggsie recalled, pulling her Hoohoo Stone back out. “I accidentally lose track of Hoohoo Stone I was going to show Mr. Pie. Did you know you can make Hammers from these?”

“I do,” Mario answered. “Those are found on Hoohoo Mountain in the Beanbean Kingdom. What’s one doing all of the way out here?”

“I don’t know,” Diggsie shrugged. “Some crazy-looking creature dropped it. I pick it up, remembering that Mr. Pie once said these make great Hammers. But I accidentally drop it, only to find it again… and get caught by Gangster Spiders. Now… I guess I lost. I find way out soon enough.”

“And you’re happy about all of this?” Spike asked, looking at Mario with a confused look on his face. “Wow, you look on the bright side of things… like Pinkie Pie.”

“Don’t worry,” the female Diamond Dog waved off. “I smell a way out by tapping some weird Touch Screen on GamePad like it some kind of radar. Just need to find right place to Dig, and hit some strange Y Button… like Mrs. Pie said.”

“…Ah don’t know who this Mrs. Pie is,” Boomregard asked aloud, “but she sounds a lot like she’s related to that there pink pony ya’ll have been mentioning if she knows this weird stuff. Maybe it’s genetic?”

“Anyways,” Spike shrugged, “we probably should find that switch Cranky mentioned to get to Fillydelphia. You can find your way out on your own, right?” Spike looked around, but didn’t see another way out besides the way they just came in. “Uh, where is that switch?”

“Wait, switch?” Diggsie asked. “Ooh! I can repay you for saving me! I join you until we get to rock farm! You can use my skills! I find your switch no problem!”

“Wait,” Mario asked as Diggsie eagerly smiled at him, “you’re going to come with three random strangers to get out of these mountains just because we helped you?”

“We going same way!” the Diamond Dog answered. “I don’t see why not! Besides… you have no idea where switch is. It probably underground somewhere in this cave… if not, we find tunnel. I can dig it up! Let’s find it!”

Diggsie just volunteered to join your party! Wow, didn’t you just start this chapter?

Diggsie is a loyal— if somewhat overly energetic— teenage Diamond Dog who loves traveling and digging around. Her specialty, of course, is digging quick holes. Press Y to have Mario grab her tail before she digs a hole in the ground. While underground, Mario’s team will not be detected by enemies, and even eavesdrop on private conversations. Press the Y Button again to pop back out, getting the jump on any enemies you hit. You can also use this to dig up items from underground. However, should you dig into a secret tunnel, Diggsie will travel through it, dragging Mario’s team with her! Diggsie, of course, can detect these tunnels by using her nose like a radar by tapping the Touch Screen. Also, this can detect invisible item blocks or hidden items or enemies.

Diggsie is also quite useful in battle, too. She can stomp on enemies with an energetic Claw Pounce (but she’s not protected from spiky enemies). She can also hit enemies from underground with her Drill Upper, hiding her and Mario underground for one turn and striking the second turn, flipping certain enemies with it.

“Okay,” Diggsie said once it was official. “First thing we need to do… let me sniff around.” Standing on her tiptoes, Diggsie took a few sniffs, trying to see if she could find anything. She did, soon enough. “Ah ha!” She pointed to a random spot in the ground, and walked over to it. “I dig here! Grab my tail if you wanna come with!”

“Okay,” Mario said, trying to do as she said. “Quit wagging it.”

As soon as he grabbed Diggsie’s tail (and Spike and Boomregard grabbed onto him), the Diamond Dog began to live up to her name, burrowing underground with them right behind her, placing dirt above them. Soon enough, the dirt exploded with a blue switch and the four heroes. The switch then landed right next to them.

“Wow, this must be it,” Mario said, taking out his Hammer. He then swung it down, hitting the block. Soon, the cave began shaking around him. Before anyone could ask what was happening, the shaking stopped… and a scream of pain could be heard outside.

“…Uh… what was that?” Spike asked aloud.

“Probably made it so our tour group can cross,” Boomregard suggested. “Let’s mosey on back outside.”

“Okay,” Diggsie smiled. Soon, the four walked out of the cave. “By the way… anyone know what screaming sound was?”

“No clue,” Boomregard said.

---

Foal Mountains— Trail— Moments before Mario’s group hit the switch

“Okay, one last time,” Prosperous Dusk said, walking to the front of the waiting group. “If I free you, will you promise to let me talk?”

“…Okay, fine!” Mohan grumbled. “Can’t believe those jerks left me in here.”

“I can’t imagine why,” Cranky muttered in a sarcastic tone. Prosperous, meanwhile, lit up his horn, which flashed a pale green for a mere moment before turning dark blue. A dark blue aura wrapped itself around Mohan before yanking him out of the sand.

“Oh yeah!” Mohan grinned. “I can move again! Now… put me on the other side! I’ve got to have a word with that plumber and his Boomerang Bro for leaving me here!”

Soon, though, the stone wall next to the quicksand began to rumble a bit right before a large stone path burst through the stone wall, tearing it like paper… and ramming straight into Mohan, causing him to scream in pain as he fell out of Prosperous’ magical grip and face-first into the quicksand. He then let out a muffled scream. This caused Pumpkin and Pound to burst out into laughter while their parents could not help but chuckle and Beeatriz giggled.

“Oo rey aie SOOOOOOO oof zih boor!” Mohan yelled from under the quicksand.

“Well,” Matilda smiled at her boyfriend, “I think I’m seeing why my Doodle is enjoying himself… it’s actually somewhat funny seeing Mohan suffer for his brash behavior.”

“Hey, Mohan?” Prosperous asked. “I don’t know if you can hear me with all of that sand in your ears, but if you can, if I help you out, will I get a full refund?”

“MO!” the Monty Mole yelled. “TRUL BON: MO PREMUNS!”

“Okay, have fun drowning.” Prosperous then jumped up on the stone walkway and trotted away.

“Really?” Beeatriz asked Prosperous before flying under the stone path, attempting to tug Mohan out by his tail. "This is gonna be a loooong trip..."

Author's Note:

Well, so begins Chapter 2's arc. Which is more or less a road trip rather than exploring a colossal destination. I swear, this will be the only road trip heavy chapter. But we'll have some laughs along the way... and make some new friends. Speaking of which...

1) Meet Beeatriz! She's a very generous Bee! And yes, I'm terrible at female names. That, and my Humanities 102 teacher also mentioned Dante's Divine Comedy, which made me come up with the name. Don't you just love historical references? Anybody? ...Nobody?

Anyway, we have a new enemy class! Gangster Spiders! Well, for those who don't know, they're a race of hat-wearing Spiders that appeared in the FiM expanded universe. And I wanted more foes than just Diamond Dogs... and the two mini-boss fights coming up. That's right! I'm giving you two of them this time around, one of whom is Carbon! Well, actually three, but you get my point.

Oh, and let's not forget our new party member. Diggsie was one of my first planned Equestrian party members... that wasn't Spike. However, she was a lot younger than she is now. Diggsie is a rather energetic sort, too, sort of a Genki Girl with a mix of super strength. Right now, she's capable of dealing some heavy damage. If you find a third Florie's Root, you may wanna go back to the Everfree Forest and upgrade her. I hear her Super Rank is really cool. I'm sorry to all fans who thought Chomper was going to be the next partner... don't worry, we'll see him again. Don't unwatch me!

2) So, the Foal Mountains? Really had a heck of a time thinking this place's terrain up. I mean, it looks like a stereotypical mountain range. With the exception that it's a dangerous place with quicksand and an underground turf war going on. We'll complete the second half of this place next update (what's left of Ascent and then the mini-boss fight on the Summit, finally the Descent)... alongside working the two mini-boss fights I promised. The next update should be the entirety of the Hollow Shades and the Pie Rock Farm, and we should get to the Chapter Boss in part four.

3) So, you now know why the Cakes are heading to Fillydelphia. But you're probably wondering why Carrot is worried about meeting Clyde Pie... and you now know that Carrot Cake does have some adult fear issues when looking at Pinkie Pie and her rather dangerous adventure-seeking activities. Someone has to worry about her and her friends, and Carrot has two twim baby foals who greatly look up to Pinkie... and who would likely follow in her footsteps if given the chance.

Next, why am I so mean to Mohan? Well, he's a jerk, and he deserves it. He also is a comical antagonist. I love the funny moments that you can do with a mentality of Schadenfreude (Avenue Q reference, anyone?)

Wait, when did Pig Form get a second use? I honestly thought of it to make it more useful, because the other Papergami skills you'll pick up made Pig Form look rather weak. Especially the one I hinted at before... which is an ode to a previous power-up in the Super Mario Bros., by the way.

Now, the question I feel like I NEED to answer: Why did I pick a Diamond Dog when Mario and Spike have both been fighting Diamond Dogs? And why a female one? Well, it's a simple thing of not every enemy class is going to be purely chaotic evil pony-hating creatures. Seems that Sirius had a point in his speech about other races, didn't he? Yeah, Sirius is more of a type 2 Lawful Evil. Also, this party actually needs females... there were only three guys. Also, it's kind of adorable seeing a puppy wearing a red sweatshirt. At least, I find it adorable.

Let's just... have a nice day.