• Published 25th Dec 2012
  • 6,863 Views, 552 Comments

Paper Mario: The Land of Harmony - Blade Squall



Mario & friends travel to Equestria for a vacation. Unfortunately, bad stuff happens. Now, Mario, Spike, and six new heroes have to save the Elements of Harmony... and Peach. Oh, and everything's made of paper. Have fun!

  • ...
10
 552
 6,863

Post Chapter 2- Part 1

-MARIO-

Fillydelphia

“Well,” Clyde said as he walked up to Mario’s group in front of the broken Bell Tower, “it took us four days, a lot of Sleepy Sheep, almost every Unicorn in town, and some serious construction to build the world’s largest pair of ear muffs and a large door, but I don’t think Hootenanny’s going to come back anytime soon.”

“Good, she asleep,” Diggsie smiled. “I thought that would be problem. What with Whacka Bell destroyed, after all.”

“I’ll make another Bell if it prevents this from happening again,” Clyde remarked. “That Night Fortune… something’s up with him if he can control Hootenanny. When ya go after him, I suggest you all be careful.” Looking at Mario, he said, “Hey… by the way. Your Hammer that you left with me? I’ve gone ahead and upgraded it to that Super Hammer Diggsie requested. It just needs to finish cooling, so I couldn’t bring it with me. Swing by the Rock Farm to pick it up before you go, and you can smash small stone blocks no problem. Well, those and giant Yellow Blocks.”

“You still no mind that I leaving?” Diggsie asked.

“Diggsie,” Clyde replied, “of course I mind. You’re energetic, but you’re kind of like one of my daughters… Pinkamina. You’re also one of my hardest workers on the farm. Speaking of which, I must insist to you all: You can’t fail. Not just for my daughter’s sake. I don’t know really much about those Elements of Harmony Pinkamina talked about in her letters, but she said that it makes her sort of a guardian to this Land of Harmony. Diggsie, while my daughter and her friends are captured, you protect this Land in their stead. That is a much bigger job than the Rock Farm. I’ll miss you, okay?”

“And I’ll miss you and Mrs. Pie,” Diggsie nodded before hugging him. “We’ll pick up Hammer when we done here.” Clyde nodded before trotting away. Diggsie turned to the others, and asked, “So, now we have Element, what happens next?”

“We go back to Ponyville,” Spike answered. “We’ll meet up with Goombella, give her the Filly Cheese Sandwich we owe her, figure out where to go next, and get the next Element. We repeat this process three more times, and we should have all six Elements of Harmony, we save Princesses Celestia, Luna, Peach, and Daisy as well as Mario’s brother, Yoshi, and the Toads. Then we can defeat Sirius Nebula, save my friends, restore the balance of the world's harmony, save the world, then roll the end credits.”

“Not to mention the Cakes, Cranky, Matilda, and Beeatriz are at the train station, so we can take that,” Mario recalled. “We can actually head back to Ponyville the fast way if we want. Perhaps even stop at Appleloosa now that the train station is workable.”

“Well, it’s the closest to fast travel we got,” Boomregard nodded. “Ah guess as we git to places, we can take trains to an’ from ’em. That way, if we ever need to git someplace without a battle or two or walkin’ will take too long, we’ll just have to catch a train. Just make sure the place in question ya need to git to has a train station, an' ya got the coins to roll.”

“That’s easy,” Spike nodded. “If you check on the Map (which may or may not be in the Journal Menu), you can easily filter for locations that can be accessed by train, or even other options.”

“That’s great,” Mario nodded. “Now, let’s-a go!”

---

Pie Rock Farm

After making sure that there was nothing else they needed to do (gathering up Star Pieces and a Happy Flower Badge around town with Diggsie’s nose and digging powers, and Mario’s Super Boots, using Paper and Pig Forms to make completely sure), Mario team headed over to the Pie Rock Farm, making sure to do the same there. As tempted as Mario was to go back into the Hollow Shades for more Star Pieces, Mario decided against it. He did not want to have to go over Foal Mountain again, even for treasure. Soon enough, he entered the house to see Clyde and Sue Pie sitting at the table, the latter hanging up an old phone.

“Ah, there you all are,” Clyde said, walking over to the group. “I guess you’re here for this, aren’t you?”

Clyde Pie has finished the Super Hammer! With this, Mario’s Hammer attack power has increased by 1! Shattering small stone blocks and even boulders should be a breeze, now! Also, this Hammer comes with a Spin Hammer option by holding down the B Button, spinning the Left Analog Stick to twist up Mario, and releasing the B Button to spin, crushing giant yellow blocks your old Hammer couldn’t with ease! Also, that Spin Hammer can be used in battle to knock foes into each other!

“Thanks again, Mr. Pie,” Mario said while admiring the black Hammer.

“I put instructions to using that with you if you want to read them,” Clyde said. “That Hammer of yours is now more powerful with how it’s been reforged with a Hoohoo Stone. Still, if by some sheer chance you guys find a piece of metal called Hoohoo Steel, come back here and I’ll upgrade your Hammer to Ultra Hammer status.”

“We’ll keep an eye out fer that,” Boomregard said.

“I know you will,” Sue said as she walked over to them. “I just finished talking to Pinkamina’s sisters… they know that Pinkamina has been kidnapped. Both Isabelle and Bellamina have but one request for you all.”

“What is it?” Mario asked.

“Bring Pinkamina home.”

“We will,” Spike nodded. However, he then belched up another letter from Canterlot. “Oh, looks like the Princesses must have gotten my note.”

Dear Mario & Spike,

Good work once again! At the rate you two are going, you’ll have all of the Elements in no time!

I must admit that it’s getting boring sitting around Canterlot. Mario, I’m sorry that our vacation had to be cancelled… again. Luckily, we’re keeping ourselves busy with our investigation. Luigi, Daisy, and Yoshi found something useful… suggesting there was some inside work done in Canterlot!

We’ll continue our investigation soon. Hopefully we’ll let you know what we find!

Wishing you well,

Peach

“Well, that’s worrying news,” Spike said. “Somepony in Canterlot was part of the Colts of Nocturne? Well, they are a cult and their members would be hard to find…”

“That reminds me,” Clyde said aloud. “That Night Fortune guy… do me a huge favor and clobber him. He seems to be the brains of this operation that dared lay a hoof on Pinkamina.”

“…Wow,” Mario gasped in shock.

“What can I say? I don’t like my daughters being hurt or kidnapped. Anyway, feel free to bust in that Hammer while you’re here. There are some boulders and blocks you can now smash if you want. If you want a few spending coins, talk to me again and I’ll have something for you to do.”

Mario nodded before heading out of the house. He looked right at the still locked silo, where the giant yellow block stood in the way. Breaking out his new Super Hammer, he twisted his body up, and spun the Hammer hard enough to reduce the block to rubble. “Do you think the Pies will mind if we look around?” Mario asked Diggsie.

“Hopefully not,” the Diamond Dog replied. “Just as long as it doesn’t do anything important, of course. We should be free to explore inside.” Entering the silo, they saw a few Item Blocks that included a Honey Syrup and a gray block inside. Mario smashed it with his Super Hammer, revealing… nothing. Diggsie, however, sniffed around.

“Hey… I smell something underground here.” She dug underground where the block was, and when she and Mario popped back up, they had a Grey Key.

“What does that go to?” Spike asked before Mario pocketed it. “It doesn’t look like it could belong to anything on the farm…”

“Oh, this key?” Diggsie asked. “Mr. Pie said he found it one afternoon. He had us put up signs around town, but no one claim key. He actually wants someone to take it off his hands. But, just to be sure, we should bring it to Mr. Pie.”

After leaving the silo, Mario took the key to Clyde, who stared at the key. The old brown Earth Pony said, “I don’t really mind the key much. I just found it one day and asked around, only for nopony to claim the key. Go ahead and take it. Perhaps you can find what that key is for.”

Mario nodded. “Alright. Thanks again, Mr. Pie… we’ll get your daughter back.”

“You better,” Clyde nodded. “Goodbye, Mario… until we meet again.”

Their business on the Rock Farm concluded for now, Mario decided it was time to head back to Ponyville via the train and introduce Diggsie to Goombella. So, his team cut through Fillydelphia and headed for the train station home.

---

Ponyville Station

It turned out that Ponyville’s train station was in the north of town, just to the southeast of Sweet Apple Acres. After a day’s travel, Mario’s team, the Cakes, Beeatriz, and the Donkeys arrived in Ponyville.

“I just don’t get why Prosperous disappeared on us,” Cranky said aloud. “After volunteering to punish Mohan, he just up and left.”

“What happened to Mohan, anyways?” Spike asked. “Not that I’m concerned, but I didn’t see him again.”

“Oh, right,” Matilda recalled. “A team of ponies found him stomped flat by Hootenanny. While he’s greedy and deserved it, I have to admire his durability. Now, though, he’s behind bars in Fillydelphia’s jail, looking at a big sentence for his con artist actions, two counts of stealing this kingdom’s treasure, and attempts to sell us into forced labor. ”

“After he endangered my wife and children,” Carrot Cake agreed, “he certainly deserves jail time.”

“Carrot, dear,” Cup Cake chided, “me, Pumpkin, and Pound are all fine, now. And, best of all, we can open up shop again.”

“Oh, right,” Carrot recalled. Turning to Mario, Spike, Boomregard, and Diggsie, he requested, “Mario, Spike, if you two would come to Sugarcube Corner, we can make you tasty treats anytime you want, provided you have the ingredients. We’re actually quite skilled chefs, pastries being our specialty. We can even combine ingredients to make a new dish.”

“Wow,” Mario commented. “I usually have to find a Cookbook to have access to advanced dishes.”

“We already have one, but we’re looking for an Advanced Cookbook, dearie,” Cup Cake added. “If you find one in your travels, please bring it to us. We’ll be able to make dishes with up to four main ingredients. But right now, it’s time for the twins to go beddy bye.”

“Well, that’s ’nother thang we’ll have to look out fer,” Boomregard nodded. “Thanks again, Mr. an’ Mrs. Cake.”

“Bye, dearies,” Cup Cake waved.

“Bye, Super Mario!” Pound Cake cheered, flapping his little wings.

“Bye, Spike!” Pumpkin Cake smiled, her horn glowing with her green magic. Soon enough, the Cakes and Gummy walked off.

“Well, I better hit the road, too,” Beeatriz yawned, drawing attention to herself.

“Beeatriz,” Spike asked, “I thought you were staying with us.”

“I would join your quest if I could,” the Bee declined. “However, I’ve been gone from my hive in Manehattan too long… I better head back home. But the New Yoke Times is published there, so I can look out for news of the Elements while I’m there. If I could have your e-mail, Mario, you’d be the first to get a buzz if know if I find anything.”

“I was waiting for Bee joke!” Diggsie laughed. “Seriously, how we go so long without one?”

“I don’t know,” Beeatriz shrugged after Mario registered her in his Mailbox 3DS. “Okay. See you guys later!” The Bee then flew to find a train to Manehattan, leaving Mario’s team with only Cranky and Matilda.

“So,” Mario asked, “what are you two going to do now that you don’t have to work with Mohan anymore?” Cranky shrugged.

“Beats me,” the old Donkey replied. “Well, for one, now that I’m engaged, I should get started working on my wedding planning… but… at the same time, I want Pinkie Pie to be there. If not for her, I would never have reunited with Matilda in the first place.”

“I would like her at the wedding, myself,” Matilda agreed. “Pinkie, while a bit overbearing at times, would make the reception memorable.”

“Looks like I really need to save Pinkamina,” Diggsie nodded. “Okay… well, that something we need to hurry up and do.”

“Hold on, Diggsie,” Mario told her. “We still have four more Elements to gather before we can attempt that, and even then we have no idea where the Colts of Nocturne are even holding the Bearers.”

“Well, if you ever need anything around Ponyville,” Cranky commented, “feel free to come to me. Oh, before I forget, here’s this.” He then gave Mario a card that had a mountain range on it. “I had that made for you while we were in Fillydelphia. That Mountain Pass will allow you to use my old Foal Mountain Base Camp anytime as well as access the Warp Pipe that lead to the base of Foal Mountains, no questions asked. It’s the least I can do to prove you survived the Adventure Tour.”

“Wow, uh, thanks, Cranky,” Mario said before pocketing the Mountain Pass.

“Goodbye, Mr. Mario,” Matilda bowed. “It was a pleasure meeting you. You and Spike go save Pinkie Pie and her friends, okay?” The group nodded. “Take care!” As the two Donkeys walked off, Spike turned to the others.

“So, on that cheery note,” the Dragon asked, “who’s up for finding Goombella and seeing if she has a location ready for us? Chances are she’ll be at the library.”

---

Ponyville Schoolhouse

Unfortunately, Goombella was not at the Library. Luckily, the Goomba had left a note with Owlowiscious saying that she would be at the school monitoring recess. So, the four had hauled it over to the schoolyard, where Goombella was observing the young foals, Toads, Mousers, and Koopas at play. Apple Bloom was the first to notice them.

“Howdy, Mario an’ Spike!” the yellow Earth Pony waved, snapping Goombella out of her reverie. “Are ya’ll here to see Miss Goombella?”

“Hi, Apple Bloom,” Spike smiled. “Yeah, actually, we are.” Soon enough, the young Toads looked to see the Mushroom Kingdom’s hero approaching.

“Wow,” one of the Toads asked, “is that… Mario? That’s so cool!”

“I want a mustache like that when I grow up!” a Koopa boy cheered.

“What’s he doing in Equestria?” a Mouser girl questioned.

“Oh, hey, Mario,” Goombella smiled. “I see you’re back… and you have a Diamond Dog partner, now! Let me guess, Temporary Bearer Number 2?”

“Hi!” the aforementioned Diamond Dog greeted. “I Diggsie! And yep, Temporary Bearer of Loyalty!”

“That almost makes you as cool as Rainbow Dash!” Scootaloo complimented, glad to see her idol’s Element had been obtained. “Only somepony who’s loyal and dependable as her gets to wear that!”

“Aw man,” Sweetie Belle sighed. “I was hoping you’d get Rarity’s Element of Generosity next.”

“I thought ya three would be running Carousel Boutique,” Boomregard commented.

“We’re students before we’re Cutie Mark Crusader Shop Keepers,” Sweetie shrugged. “But Dad’s keeping the shop open. You got his letter, right?”

“Yeah, we did,” Spike nodded. “Anyways, we’re getting off track, here… Goombella, a moment of your time, please.”

The Goomba winced. “Ooh, bad time, guys. I still have to supervise recess, so we really can’t talk while I do my job. If you can wait about… ten more minutes, real time, the students will be going back inside. Hey, while you’re here, perhaps the person in front of the TV can put down the GamePad, and get a snack, go to the bathroom, or something. Don’t worry; you’ll hear a bell when we’re done.”

Mario’s group, having no choice, took a seat at a nearby table with Goombella. Spike gave her the Filly Cheese Sandwich, which she thanked the group for. They just sat there for the next ten minutes (which the author decided to cut out since we know you’d be bored out of your skull seeing Mario and Goombella take turns swapping stories while children ran around in the background, Goombella giving a pair of Unicorn colts (a blue one named Snips and a yellow one named Snails) an earful for falling on top of a Toad… from the school roof).

Once it was over, a bell rang, signaling recess was over. Goombella smiled, “Alright, students. It’s time to back inside for your afternoon class. Tell Miss Cheerilee that I need to have a word with Mr. Mario and friends, so she can begin the lesson.” The young ones quickly began heading back inside, leaving Goombella alone with Mario, Spike, Boomregard, and Diggsie. “Okay, guys, I’m glad we’re down to four Elements. Unfortunately, a week has already passed, so my notes won’t really give us exact locations anymore since by now the Elements have had to move.”

“Well, what do we do?” Boomregard asked. “It ain’t like the next Element’s location is gonna pop up any second.” As if on cue, Mario’s Mailbox 3DS buzzed in his pocket. The plumber, curious, took out said device.

Dear Mario & Spike,

We’re glad to hear you guys are okay after defeating Carbon and Night Fortune. However, my sneaking around has uncovered the location of another Element of Harmony during my eavesdropping of a Colts of Nocturne meeting. Sirius Nebula has a contact in Applewood Studios who has a reason to suspect that an Element is somewhere there.

While this is good news, I’m afraid I have some bad news: this means that the Colts of Nocturne are on the move to recover the Element themselves. What’s even worse is that Sirius Nebula is overseeing the recovery of the Element. You have to beat the Colts of Nocturne to the Element!

We’re rooting for you two. Rarity especially, Spike… she’s worrying herself sick for you.

Your friend,

Twilight Sparkle

“…Ah’ve got to use this power fer good,” the Boomerang Bro declared. “Okay, it’s ain’t like mah memory’s gonna come back any second.” After a few seconds with everyone staring at him, Boomregard sighed. “Dang Nabbit.”

“Twilight,” Spike breathed, pulling out the Fire Ruby Rarity let him hold onto. “Don’t worry, Twilight, Rarity… I’m coming to save you.”

“Uh, Spike,” Boomregard commented after getting over his own depression. “Hate to be a moment killer, but let’s stop worryin’ ’bout yer girlfriend’s necklace an’ focus on gittin’ to Applewood Studios… wherever that is.” As Spike blushed and put the Fire Ruby away, the Boomerang Bro thought aloud, “Hey, where is that?”

“I know where it is!” a young voice spoke up in a British accent. Soon enough, Mario and friends turned to see a young pinto Earth Pony colt walking up to them. “Pipsqueak at your service, Mr. Cowboy.”

“Hi, Pipsqueak,” Goombella said. “Shouldn’t you be going back inside with everyone else?”

“I was going to, Miss Goombella,” the colt apologized, “but I couldn’t help but overhear your conversation. Sweetie Belle told me that the Elements were scattered around Equestria, the Princesses were trapped in Canterlot, and her sister was kidnapped alongside Miss Sparkle, Miss Pie, Miss Dash, and her friends. Is it true?”

“…I’m afraid so, Pipsqueak,” Spike sighed to the colt. He cheered up quickly, flashing his friend a smile. “But don’t worry. We’re on the case!”

“Okay,” the spotted colt nodded. “Well, anyway, Applewood Studios is in Los Pegasus, which is to the southwest of here, a little north of the San Palomino!”

“Someone paid attention in geography class,” Goombella commented to him. “Good job, Pipsqueak. Now, run along to class, okay? I’ll catch up with you in a moment, okay?”

“Yes, Miss Goombella,” Pipsqueak nodded. “Bye, Spike!” Pipsqueak then galloped off, catching up with the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

“I can see why you can’t join us, Goombella,” Mario said, watching the kids walk away. “These students love you.” Pulling out his map, he allowed Goombella to erase her previous mark on Fillydelphia and circle a location above the San Palomino that had a group of clouds near a small group of mountains labeled “Applewood”.

The Goomba nodded, “These students can be a pain sometimes, and there are moments I’d rather be back out there, involved in some ancient dig or even finally getting a chance to explore the Ancient Castle of the Royal Pony Sisters. However, I remember our little Great Gonzales Jr. and how spunky kids are. Also, I’ve kinda dreamed of teaching children about what I do. So, I find it worth it, after all. Anyway, Mario, I don’t think I need to stress for you to be careful. This is the first time on this quest that you knew in advance that your enemies were going to be there. What’s worse is that the big bad guy is on his way. We need to find you a quick, covert way into Los Pegasus, and I don’t think the train is gonna be an option since we don’t know how many ponies will be traveling by train.”

“...Hmm,” Spike thought aloud, looking at the map. “What about Whitetail Woods?” The group looked at the Dragon, confused. “From Whitetail Woods, it’s just a hop, skip, and a jump to Los Pegasus. Despite the name, Mario, it’s not an entire cloud city like Cloudsdale. If an Element landed up there, I don’t know how we’d be able to get to it.”

“Yeah, I think I remember Toadsworth saying he wanted to go there,” Mario replied. “Los Pegasus, I mean. He mentioned actors, stage performances, movies…”

“Right!” Diggsie nodded. “Mr. Pie told me that Applewood Studios is biggest film studio in Equestria. Element could be anywhere.”

“As well as the next Temporary Bearer,” Spike nodded. “Perhaps we’re going to get an actor! Or, better yet, actually ACT in one of the Applewood Films! Oh, Rainbow Dash would be so jealous...”

“Okay, so we have a place to start from and we realize that the Element is anywhere in the city,” Goombella confirmed. “Does anyone have a clue as to how to get to Whitetail Woods, though? ’Cause I’m totally stumped.” The other four thought about it, annoyed.

“The last time I was in Whitetail Woods,” Spike remembered, “I was in a hot air balloon with Pinkie Pie… I really was paying attention more to the annual Running of the Leaves rather than the path. My bad, guys.”

“Hold on,” Mario interrupted. “Wasn’t there someone in town who said that if we ever needed anything, ask her? Who was the one pony in the city who has been here since before Ponyville even existed?” The plumber, Goomba, and Dragon turned towards each other, all grinning. “Granny Smith!”

“If there’s a way into Whitetail Woods, she’d know,” Goombella said aloud. “Let’s see… I’d bet she’d be at Sweet Apple Acres. It’s only a couple weeks until Zap Apple Season, after all.”

“Okay, we’ll head there after running a few errands,” Mario said. “First off, we should probably check on the insane Spirit of Disharmony who’s living in Fluttershy’s Cottage.”

---

Fluttershy’s Cottage

When Mario’s group arrived at the timid Pegasus’ place of residence, they were surprised to see that it had once again changed. This time, the place looked like it suddenly turned into something out of the Land of Crag… or at least prehistoric times when cave ponies trotted Equestria and had to deal with dinosaur predators or something similar.

That and the roof had surprisingly many holes. At least the desert, the Piantas, and the giant bunny bouncer were all gone. Instead, two giant metallic Clefts were in the front yard.

“Well, if it ain’t Gonzales!” the red-booted Iron Cleft called out. “What are you doin’ here?”

“I don’t think Gonzales remembers us, does he, Bro?” the green-booted Cleft questioned.

“The Iron Clefts,” Mario said. “Let me guess, you’ve retired from the Glitz Pit or are taking some time off. Look, I’m not here to fight you two. We’re just passing through.”

“Ya couldn’t beat us, anyways, Gonzales!” the red Cleft replied. “Ya need your old Yoshi partner to even pierce our ridiculous defenses.”

“But you’re not the one we care for,” the green Cleft added. “After we left the Glitz Pit, we decided to look for work for a while. You can go in… just as long as ya ain’t a white rabbit.” The two Clefts parted from aside each other while Mario, Diggsie, Boomregard, and Spike wandered inside to see Discord wearing a miner’s hard hat and a loincloth.

“Oh, hi guys,” Discord said to them, looking around at anywhere but them. “How you doin’? Get a new Element back? Yes? That’s great. Oh, see you have a new partner. What’s your name, little puppy?”

“I called Diggsie,” the Diamond Dog scowled. “And I’m not little! I fourteen… in Diamond Dog years.”

“Good for you,” Discord said. “Now, then, have you seen Angel? That bratty little bunny and I are in the middle of a prank war, and well, it’s his move.”

“Wait, prank war?” Spike asked. “You think the Spirit of Chaos and Disharmony would be revealing in creating Chaos and Disharmony unopposed since all six Bearers and the Princesses, the eight beings who have ever defeated you, are all incapacitated. Not playing a childish prank war against a foot-tall rabbit with an attitude problem.”

“Well, I have to admit that if you were talking to the old me, I’d be living it up. But, however, I don’t think I could do that without a good challenge, anymore. You see, before Celestia and Luna and before your friends, Spike, there was only one being who could ever challenge me. The only opponent I could ever say I had to take seriously in my life. The one pony who I had no option but to take as a true threat to me.”

“Who?” Spike asked.

“Ah-ah-ah,” Discord taunted. “You’ve got to earn that knowledge, little Dragon. Come back when you’re more of a hero and I’ll tell you. But, for now, I suppose it’s shopkeeper time for me.” He turned to Mario, and said, “So, did you just want to chat, or did you actually come back here for a spell courtesy of the Spirit of Chaos himself?”

Mario thought about it. On one hand, he had no idea if he could trust Discord. But, on the other hand, the battles were going to only get harder from here on out. High risks often yielded high rewards.

“Okay, let’s-a-do this.”

“Good to see you’re willing to enter the World of Insanity! How crazy do you want this trip, Mario? You’re using Mushroom currency, so I’ll set the prices by that. You can settle for a Topsy Turvy Trial for 10 Coins, a Wild Wonderland Weekend for 30, and the Sanity Slippage Special for 50.”

“…Can we just do the 10-Coin one?”

“One Topsy Turvy Trial coming right up!” Soon enough, as if on cue, Discord’s eyes began to become swirls. The next thing Mario knew, the entire room began to spin around, as if the cottage was possessed… that, or Discord lifted it off the ground just for the heck of it. Probably both. The next thing Mario saw, Discord’s head popped off, floating around him. Soon, with the sound of a piece of paper being ripped in half, the world erupted into a stream of colors and insanity before returning to normal, everything back in place.

“There you go!” Discord said as if nothing happened. “10 Coins, please!” The plumber blinked before handing Discord the coins.

Spike, who stared at what just happened, said, “Please never do that again.”

“No promises,” the Spirit of Disharmony replied. “That was kind of fun. Haven’t gotten to let loose like that in a while. If you ever need another boost, you know who to call. I’ll be here.”

“Okay, before we go,” Mario said, taking out his 3DS, “we found something that Spike claims is yours.” He then showed the picture of the Cotton Candy Cloud the group found in Fillydelphia.

“So… THAT’S where I put one of my clouds,” Discord muttered aloud. “Believe it or not, after my second defeat, some remnants of my chaos remained. After Fluttershy had reformed me, Celestia had been bugging me about cleaning up my old mess from the first time I had been released. I did it, but I had misplaced six of my Cotton Candy Clouds throughout Equestria.” With a sharp inhale, Discord mused, “She’s probably not going to be happy about finding those out… I have to clean this mess up before she thinks I’m slipping back into evil. That stick in the mud is still mad about the time I put live chickens in her tub.”

“Sounds like we moseyed onto a pie the Spirit of Chaos an’ Disharmony didn’t want us stickin’ our fingers into,” Boomregard said aloud.

“Cowboy,” Discord scowled, “I don’t think you want to threaten a being who happens to treat reality as his Toybox and plays with them like a five-year-old colt. Besides, with the Bearers gone and the Sisters sealed, I’m technically the most powerful creature in Equestria right now and could be the one thing preventing this place from going under should something happen to you. Now, I don’t want Celestia breathing down my throat whenever you all manage to free her, and you all may find use of my power sometime in the last chapters of this game, not counting DLC. So, here’s a thought: could you all do me a huge solid and find some way to clear those clouds? You’ll need somepony who could fly to do it, but… well, tell you what. If this sounds too cheap of a favor, I’ll make it worth your while.” He then whistled. “Here, Chomper!”

“ARF! ARF!” Soon enough, the Chomplet bounced down the stairs, landing next to Discord.

“So, here’s what we’ll do,” Discord said. “You see Chomper, here? Well, believe it or not, owning a Chain Chomp, even as a Chomplet, is actually kind of a big responsibility. They need plenty of exercise… and the furthest I can get with Chomper is Central Ponyville without causing a mass panic and ponies thinking I’m evil again. But you, Mario, look like you’ve handled a Chomp or two in your day. So, if you get rid of those Cotton Candy Clouds without breathing a word of it to Celestia, I’ll let you walk Chomper... and appease every fan of this game series who’s always wanted a Chain Chomp partner.”

“ARF!” Chomper yipped, agreeing to the idea.

“Well, that’s interesting,” Mario acknowledged. “We’ll keep an eye out for these clouds of yours.”

“Thanks,” Discord replied. “Well, don’t be a stranger, Mr. Mushroom Kingdom. Hey, I got a new idea for the next theme! Perhaps ‘Giant Monster Movie’!”

Mario’s group slowly walked away from the insane Spirit of Chaos. As soon as they got out of the house, though, a giant rock suddenly crashed through the roof, landing right on top of Discord, and startling the Iron Clefts away from the house.

“…Ugh… is that you, Tom the Diamond-Boulder…?” Discord groaned. “Oh-ho… well played, Angel. Well played.” The aforementioned white rabbit hopped up next to Mario and Spike, and looked at them with contempt. He then hopped back into the Cottage, leaving them confused.

“Okay,” Spike said after a few minutes. “It seems I underestimated this prank war.”

---

Everfree Forest

Discord’s spell proved to make battles… weird, for one. For not only did Mario’s bonuses seem to come at random, but also the enemies were affected as well.

But that wasn’t the reason why Mario brought his group back to the Everfree Forest. Nor was it the fact that Diggsie could sniff out Star Pieces that he would not have been able to find on his own… which they did. As well as a mysterious wooden panel that labeled “Danger: Entrance to the Everfree Pit of 100 Trials is below here. Enter said Pit at your own risk. I recommend you’re at least Level 30 before you even THINK about tackling this pit!”

No, Mario was now in Zecora’s Hut, Diggsie and Boomregard at his side as he watched the Zebra remove the petals from the six Florie’s Roots that the group had managed to find.

“And you sure this doesn’t kill them?” the Diamond Dog asked aloud. She was answered with the Florie’s Roots waking up to find themselves without their petals.

“AAAHH! MY PETALS! THEY’RE GONE!”

“AAAHH! THE DRAGON AND MUSTACHIOED PLUMBER MUST HAVE DONE THIS TO US TO STOP THE INVASION! RUN AWAY!” The next thing the six Flories did was run away, leaving them alone. Mario, Spike, Diggsie, and Boomregard looked at each other, confused.

“You all have my thanks,” Zecora said after the Flories abandoned their invasion plans and retreated. “With these petals, I can grant two partners the Super Rank.”

“Well, then,” Boomregard said, “Ah guess it’s time fer me an’ this little Diamond Dog to take a swig o’ this magical potion o’ yers.”

“Wait, it’s safe?” Diggsie asked. “I mean, it not smell as good…”

“Do not worry, little hound,” Zecora assured her. “The smell hides the great power that is to be found.” Diggsie and Boomregard looked at each other, the former intimidated by the brew and the latter thinking back to when Spike drank the potion.

“Iffn it weren’t fer the fact that Ah saw Spike kick back one o’ these potions o’ yers an’ git stronger with his flame, Ah would be skeptical, too. But, Ah guess it can’t hurt.”

“Fine then,” Diggsie sighed, taking a cup of Zecora’s potion with Boomregard. “Over teeth, and over gums, look out stomach, here it comes…” Diggsie and Boomregard both drank the potion… before Diggsie gagged a little and Boomregard shook his head. However, both were surrounded by the similar aura Spike was when he gained a rank.

Boomregard has increased to Super Rank! He can now master the Windy Toss, which can cause foes to become Dizzy while striking them!

Diggsie has also increased to Super Rank! Diggsie’s Drill Upper can now hide more than one party member, hiding up to two party members with her! She can now also dig up boulders to form Boulder Barricade, which protects any partner or Mario from attacks as long as the boulder can endure, also increasing defense!

“I only get barrier technique and ability to shield someone else, but you get another damaging technique?” Diggsie asked Boomregard in annoyance. “That is lame.”

“Look on the bright side, little lady,” Boomregard told her. “Once we figure out how we git Ultra Ranks, maybe yer next one will be better than mah skills. There’s more to a battle than offense.” He then turned to Zecora, and asked, “Uh, by the way, have ya figured out how to do Ultra Ranks yet?”

“I’m afraid I still do not know, my friendly Boomerang Bro,” Zecora shrugged.

“Well, thanks again, Zecora,” Mario nodded. “Now, guys, we better head back to Sweet Apple Acres. We need to talk to Granny Smith.” And that, of course, is what they will do in the next segment, where you will get a full author's note.