• Published 25th Dec 2012
  • 6,863 Views, 552 Comments

Paper Mario: The Land of Harmony - Blade Squall



Mario & friends travel to Equestria for a vacation. Unfortunately, bad stuff happens. Now, Mario, Spike, and six new heroes have to save the Elements of Harmony... and Peach. Oh, and everything's made of paper. Have fun!

  • ...
10
 552
 6,863

Post Chapter 2- Part 2

Ponyville— Magic Carriage

As the group was walking back through town, they saw another crowd gathering around something. It appeared to be some kind of stage wagon. While Mario was perfectly willing to go about his business, Spike stopped, looking at the wagon. “You’ve got to be kidding me,” the Dragon muttered, walking towards the front. Mario, Boomregard, and Diggsie looked at each other before following him. Upon reaching the front, they saw the stage wagon suddenly folding out.

Soon enough, a disembodied voice called out, “Fillies and gentlecolts… and whatever the rest of you are so you don’t feel left out! Come one… come all… come and witness the amazing magic of the Great and Powerful Trixie!” As if on cue, a purple smoke cloud popped up, engulfing the stage. The next thing Mario knew, the smoke dissipated almost as soon as it came, revealing a light blue mare dressed in a purple wizard hat and cape with blue and yellow stars… kind of reminding him of the many Merlons he had to deal with on his adventures, save for the fact that she was a pony and a girl. And had fireworks shooting out from behind her stage rather than fancy magic lights, which was kind of a nice change of pace.

This Trixie flashed a smile to her audience, who seemed to applaud her. “Thank you, thank you…” the mare greeted. “No, seriously, thank you… Trixie didn’t think she would be allowed back here in Ponyville. Trixie apologizes once again for enslaving the entire town under the effects of the dreaded Alicorn Amulet.”

“Wait, what?” Mario asked aloud.

“That’s a long story,” Spike whispered. Turning to Trixie, he asked, “What exactly are you doing here, Trixie?”

“Well, if it isn’t Twilight Sparkle’s Dragon,” Trixie said as her hat was enveloped by a magenta aura, revealing her white and silver striped mane and her horn. The next thing the baby Dragon knew, he was enveloped in her magic, and brought on stage next to her. “Trixie has heard quite much about you since we last saw each other. Just recently before coming here, I’ve heard this dreadful rumor.” The next thing Mario’s group knew, a series of fireworks erupted, turning into six different colors of ponies that looked just like the Bearers.

“Twilight Sparkle and her five closest friends sans you,” Trixie began her little tale. Soon enough, a new firework exploded to reveal showed a cloaked figure wearing the black and blue cloak, clearly representing Sirius Nebula. “They were defeated and captured by a dark foe.” As if on cue, the Bearers were soon trapped in cages, panicking and trying to get out before the fireworks all faded, allowing Trixie to recreate a magical illusion of Canterlot. “Our beloved capital city fallen into darkness… our beloved Princesses trapped inside forever.” Trixie’s magic showed Canterlot being sealed in the black crystals of Sombra’s magic. “To make matters worse, our kingdom’s greatest defense has been scattered throughout the realm, leaving our nation with the risk of falling into complete disarray and open to conquest by the evil that is Sirius Nebula…” Trixie turned to Spike as her magic showed the lightshow that was the scattering of the Elements. As the audience looked at each other, amazed by Trixie’s performance and illusions, she whispered to Spike, “How is Trixie doing so far with her story? She wants to make this look good.”

“…Um, you’re hitting the nail on the head?” the Dragon asked, surprised that Trixie had gotten this generally right with her usual flare.

“Good,” the light blue Unicorn nodded. Turning to her audience, she cried out, “But there is still hope for us all, Ponyvillians! For there are still heroes who are in our midst!” Soon enough, the image representing Sirius Nebula appeared, seeming to laugh manically at his victory, only for two red and purple fireworks to burst, revealing the forms of Mario and Spike standing against Sirius. “These two, a man in red and a creature of purple and green, are destined to rise up, reignite the sacred defenses of Equestria, and conquer evil! And one of these heroes is on this very stage! Isn’t that right, Spike?”

“Wow,” the Dragon remarked, completely surprised with Trixie’s performance. “How did you do all of this?”

“Now, Spike,” Trixie giggled with a smug smile, “you should know that neither a lady nor a magician never reveals her secrets…” She then looked into the crowd, her eyes spotting Mario. “Ah! You there… the one in red with the mustache!”

“Me?” Mario asked, coming up to her stage. “What’s wrong?”

“You are the second hero, are you not?” Trixie asked. “You match his description… red clothes… blue overalls… mustache… smells of pasta and Mushrooms like the kingdom of your origin.” Trixie grinned. “Of course! You are the world-famous… LUIGI!”

Mario had face-faulted a lot of times in his day when someone said something unbelievably stupid. Sure, he wasn’t as famous in Equestria as he was back home in the Mushroom Kingdom. But to be mistaken for Luigi after so much build-up… well, that caused him to fall on his face so hard that the entire town somewhat shook.

“Really, Trixie?” Spike questioned. “That’s MARIO! How did you get that wrong?”

Trixie blinked in shock. “Oh, um… my bad… Trixie was kind of hoping for Luigi…” She then peaked behind the stage, where a green cape with an L on it was hung up on a pony-shaped mannequin next to a blue treasure chest. “Seriously, how did Trixie mess that up? Luigi wears green, not red… oh well, perhaps Trixie will get that signed another day.”

After a while, Trixie’s performance ended, leaving the blue Unicorn with Mario’s group. “So… you’re the one Trixie has been asked to help.”

“Wait, you’ve been asked to help us?” Spike asked. “By who? The last time you were in town, you banished Twilight to the Everfree Forest after a rigged Magic Duel and enslaved the general population under the affects of the Alicorn Amulet. You don't have a lot of friends here in Ponyville, Trixie, even if Twilight forgave you. She has a really hard time holding a grudge.”

“What’s the Alicorn Amulet?” Mario asked. “And, more importantly, you two know each other?”

“The Alicorn Amulet isn’t of any concern today,” Trixie replied. “And yes, we know each other. Trixie… or rather, I, owe Twilight Sparkle my life for freeing me from the Amulet’s sinister control. I also owe a spy from the inside of the Colts of Nocturne a favor for an incident long ago. It was to help you all. This kills two birds with one stone. Of course, though, a mare’s got to eat… so, my services will cost you. Trixie will grant you the first one for free.”

“First one?” Mario questioned. “Mama-mia… Explain to me what I’m going to be paying you for before I agree to anything.”

“Oh, right,” Trixie nodded. The next thing anyone knew, she pointed to part of the floor. “I have heard of the Super Mario Bros.’ famous jumping prowess, and I see you have acquired a pair of Super Boots. If you could please flip this part of the floor with a Ground Pound, Trixie would ever be grateful.” Mario shrugged, but used his Ground Pound anyways, flipping the panel to cause a round table, two chairs, a light blue table cloth, and a purple crystal ball to all spring out, and land neatly on the ground, setting themselves up. “Finally, Trixie’s Fortune-Telling Act can continue!”

“Wait, fortune telling?” Spike asked. “You’ve done that before?”

“It was a popular act when Trixie was just starting out! Using her magical talents acquired from years of travel, the Great and Powerful Trixie will now give you visions of anything you request! Be it the next step of your quest, the location of a troublesome flower, the ideal spot of your destined mark, or even the tears of the night sky… you name it, Trixie can find it for a reasonable price!”

“So, in general,” Mario spoke up, “if I ever need help finding either a Star Piece, a Florie’s Root, probably a Badge, or what to do next, I can come to you and in exchange for Coins, you’re going to provide semi-vague hints.”

“Well, when you put it that way, yeah. That’s kind of what I’m going to be doing in-between performances. So, then… what shall it be?”

“Hmm… I’ll humor you and say my quest.”

Trixie grinned before saying, “Very well! Now, prepare to witness the magical might of the Great and Powerful TRIXIE!” Soon enough, the world in the carriage began to glow around them, and the crystal ball dead in the center of the room floated in the air. Soon enough, the crystal ball projected an image on the back wall of the carriage, showing Granny Smith and Big Macintosh looking around Sweet Apple Acres frantically.

“It seems that these two ponies have lost something important to them,” Trixie remarked. “Perhaps if you aid them in their search, they may be able to aid you in your travels.”

“So, the Apples are having trouble?” Mario asked as the image faded. “Well, that’s the only thing we have for now. Thank you very much, Trixie. If I’m really lost, I know who to go to.”

“Oh, before you go,” Trixie spoke up, “Trixie has something for you… this one also on the house.” She then pointed to the treasure chest next to her mannequin. “Open the chest, please.” Boomregard, confused, popped the lid open, revealing a Jammin’ Jelly and a Close Call Badge.

“What in the world are these doin’ here?” Boomregard asked as he pulled them out for Mario. “How’d ya even git ’em, miss?”

“My dear cowboy Koopa,” Trixie smirked, “for shame! You should know that neither a magician nor a lady ever reveals her secrets! Isn't that right, Spike?”

“Well, I suppose you’re able to help us after all,” Spike nodded. “Thanks again, Trixie… I just wished I knew what you were getting out of this.”

“Besides Coins?” Trixie smirked. “That is of no concern to you, Spike. Now, the Great and Powerful Trixie must ask you all to leave. She has spent her energy helping you out for today.” The Dragon shook his head before the group began to walk out. “Oh, and Spike…” Spike looked at Trixie, who scowled with determination. “I know it’s been said several times… but save Twilight Sparkle.”

Spike nodded.

---

Sweet Apple Acres

After a visit to Carousel Boutique (which Mario obtained a weird badge labeled “Hoof Guard”, which according to Magnum that decreased damage caused by Pony-type enemies, as well as a Spark Driver Badge that dealt electric damage with Hammer swings), the plumber brought the group to see Sweet Apple Acres in disarray, Granny Smith and Big Macintosh looking around in the trees. “Consarn it, where’s that Gate Key!?” Granny Smith yelled. “How else are we gonna open up the trade route between Los Pegasus an’ Ponyville without that there key to git to Whitetail Woods?”

“Uh did we come at a bad time?” Spike asked as they walked up. Granny Smith looked up at Mario and Spike.

“Oh, hello, Spike, Mr. Mario,” Granny Smith greeted. “Sorry, but Ah’m ’fraid mah ol’ memory has got the best o’ me at one o’ the worst times. Ya see, Big Macintosh has a delivery to Los Pegasus due. Applejack would’ve run this here delivery, but with her bein’ kidnapped an’ everythin’… anyways, Big Macintosh needs to go through Whitetail Woods to make the delivery, since the food we’re gonna be haulin’ are too heavy fer train cargo without an extra fee. The problem, though, is that our Gate Key to Whitetail Woods has gone missin’. Ah ain’t got a clue as to where it went…”

“Well, ain’t that a coincidence!” Boomregard spoke up. “We here NEED to git to Whitetail Woods. Ya know, Ah can’t help but notice right as we need to git somewhere, somethin’ pops up like this that we need to figure out in order to git to the place. Especially since we just got someone who can smell out yer key.”

“You know, it almost like someone planned this,” Diggsie agreed. “But if it gets us to next location, sure, I help sniff it out.”

“Ya’ll wanna go to Whitetail Woods?” Granny Smith asked. “Well, Ah suppose this helps out both o’ us, an’ it wouldn’t hurt none if we had more hands lookin’ fer it.”

“Okay, this is going to be important,” Diggsie began. “Now, where was last place you saw Gate Key?”

“That would inside the barn in the next field o’er,” the old green Earth Pony answered, pointing to the west field. “First floor, even, near Big Macintosh’s plow.”

“Good,” the Diamond Dog nodded. “Perhaps I can track scent of key.” Mario’s group headed inside the barn where they saw a large, worn plow. Diggsie sniffed the area, where she caught a peculiar scent.

“What’s up, Diggsie?”

“You all smell cologne?” Diggsie asked. “Hold on… let’s ask old mare again…”

Heading back over to Granny Smith, Mario reported his findings. “Hmm… cologne you say?” the old green Earth Pony mused. She then opened her eyes wide, gasping in shock. “Now I remember! I let Filthy Rich borrow the Gate Key!”

“Uh Filthy Rich?” Mario asked.

“He’s the owner of Barnyard Bargains,” Granny Smith explained. “It’s a shop in town. I remembered I let him borrow some o’ mah keys, includin’ the Gate Key to make sure his repairs o’ the gate leadin’ into Whitetail Wood were finished. I never did git it back.”

“Well, looks like we’re going to have to go back into town to find his shop,” Spike replied.

“An’ yer gonna need to buy a Dizzy Dial an’ a Big Apple in that order,” Granny Smith added. The group looked at her. “Yeah, a Dizzy Dial an’ a Big Apple in that order. That’s our new password since the whole trade exchange between Mushroom Kingdom an’ Equestria began. This way, he’ll know Ah sent ya.”

“Well, that’s convenient,” Boomregard nodded before tipping his hat to her. “Thank ya kindly, Miss Smith. We’ll git right on that there key.”

---

Ponyville

Filthy Rich’s shop was not hard to find once they had directions. Once inside, they were rather impressed. Despite the barn-like exterior, the shop looked exquisite to say the least. A brown furred Earth Pony stallion with a black, slicked back mane and tail was running the store. He wore a red necktie with a blue and white collar, and his Cutie Mark was three money backs. No doubt Filthy Rich.

“Ah, you must be this Mario I’ve heard so much about,” the stallion greeted them as they entered his store. “You are the Mushroom Kingdom hero going around with Twilight Sparkle’s Dragon assistant in an effort to save Equestria. You’ve been building up a name for yourself with your heroics in Appleloosa’s west and the mountains near Fillydelphia.”

“Well, that’s nice to know my reputation finally proceeds me,” Mario smiled. “Filthy Rich, I presume?”

“Please,” the stallion insisted, “just call me ‘Rich’. I loathe my first name. So, anyways, what can I get for you, Mr. Mario? You’re here to buy something, yes?”

“Yes, actually,” the plumber nodded. “I’ll-a take… one Dizzy Dial and one Big Apple, please.” Rich’s eyes widened as Mario purchased both items in that order.

“Hmm… perhaps you wish to step into my office, sir,” Rich suggested. He then turned to a door in the back of the shop and walked in there, confusing the customers. Mario’s group followed him in the back, where Rich offered them a seat. “Not too many intentionally buy those items in that order,” he began. “How do you know my code?”

“Granny Smith sent us,” Spike began. The Dragon explained what they needed to Filthy Rich, who thought about it. He then smiled at them.

“Oh, the Gate Key?” Rich laughed before handing over the key. “I completely forgot to give this back to her! Tell her I offer my sincerest apologies. Her loss of Applejack is trouble enough on that poor mare and her family… I should not have caused her to worry like that. But are you all absolutely sure you wish to enter Whitetail Woods?”

“Yes,” Spike nodded. “It’s our only way into Los Pegasus with minimal detection from the Colts of Nocturne.”

“Spike,” Filthy Rich advised, “let me start by saying I understand what you’re going through, young Dragon, and I feel for your plight. Losing ponies to forces beyond your control is tough… I remember Applejack when she was just in diapers and my dad offered to babysit her for her parents. Speaking of her parents… her father was like a brother to me. We were practically raised together, and to see his game end… well, it was troubling, to say the least. However, I managed to get through it… but the grieving was far from easy.”

“What are you telling me?” Spike asked the stallion.

“I’m telling you that going on a heroic mission is barely any different from operating a business,” Filthy Rich replied. “I’ve had years of practice and a long family tradition to train me, so I know what I’m talking about when I say this. If you are certain you want to continue to help save your friends, I will not stop you. In fact, I wish to help anyway I can. But you have to be able to commit to this investment… and accept the consequences of what happens. There is no guarantee that you will be able to rescue your friends, let alone stop the Colts of Nocturne. I know this sounds harsh, especially considering that I too wish for their safety, but I just want you to make sure you still wish to do this.”

“…Of course I do,” Spike nodded. “You’re talking about my friends, here! And I’m going to bring them back.”

“I see,” Rich said. “Okay, about Whitetail Woods before you all go. I know it sounds peaceful in comparison to the Everfree Forest, but the woods have changed, recently. I don’t know why, but ever since I’ve seen that old Koopa lady on a broom flying near there, it’s gotten a bit more dangerous to go into with all of the Mushroom Kingdom monsters, Parasprites, and angry Griffons tend to roam there in the spring. Be careful.”

“Old Koopa lady on a broom?” Mario thought aloud. “…Mama-mia…”

“Uh, Mario…?” Diggsie asked.

“Guys, get ready to fight when we get back to Granny Smith. If that’s who I think it is, then we’re going to be in for one.” Turning back to Filthy, he said, “Thank you again, Mr. Rich.”

“Not a problem,” the business-stallion nodded. “If you ever need my help again, don’t be a stranger.”

“We won’t,” Boomregard assured him. “Thank ya kindly.” The group soon left the store and returned back to Sweet Apple Acres, passing Sugarcube Corner on the way.

“WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIITTTTT!” Derpy’s voice called out. The group turned to see the grey Pegasus flying over to them. “I forgot to repay you all for your help the other day. First off, I have…” she then pulled out a few letters. “Mhh frr yoo! (Mail for you!)” After Mario took the letters, she smiled. “Oh, and now, to pay you guys back for your help.” She then handed them a Blueberry Muffin. “There’s nothing like Muffins to help you get through the day, huh?”

“Wow, thanks, Derpy!” Spike grinned.

“No problem!” Derpy waved off. “Have a fun adventure, everypony!” The Pegasus then flew off for her work, leaving Mario’s group with three new letters from Clyde Pie, The New Yoke Times, and someone by the name of Shining Armor.

“Shining Armor?” Mario asked aloud. “Where have I heard that name before?”

“SHINING ARMOR!?” Spike gasped in horror. “Oh man… that’s Twilight’s older brother and Captain of the Royal Guard. What does his letter have to say?”

Dear Spike,

I don’t know how to address this, but I have learned about Twily’s kidnapping and the scattering of the Elements of Harmony. Had I known about the Colts of Nocturne before the attack, I would never had left Canterlot. Especially considering the fact that they’re using King Sombra’s magic to keep the Princesses at bay. I feel more at fault for this than with the Changeling Invasion at my wedding. Perhaps, in retrospect, I should have stayed in Canterlot rather than ask you to get Twily to relax for the day. But Cadance was complained that I have been on active duty for too long, lately.

I wish I could talk more, but Princess Celestia has ordered me and Cadance to confront my parents about the incident in Canterlot. If we run into each other, perhaps we can talk?

Sincerely,

Captain Shining Armor

“So, are you and him close?” Mario asked as the Dragon put the letter away.

“Not exactly,” Spike replied. “When I was growing up with Twilight, Shining Armor was in the Royal Guard. The only reason we even know each other is because we’re both connected to Twilight… he’s her older brother and I’m her assistant. The day we met, Mario, he asked me to stay behind so we could talk about getting Twilight to relax. And, well, that didn’t happen.”

“Yeah, that sad, but true,” Diggsie agreed. “So, anyways, new topic before things get too depressing! What did Mr. Pie want?”

Diggsie,

I hope this gets to you and Mario well. You know how Pinkamina knows all these game controls the player seems to have popping up for them? Yeah, believe it or not, that’s genetic. So, I can teach you and Mario how to use that new Special Move you earned… upon hindsight, I should have given you a brief overview while you all were still in Fillydelphia, but it slipped my mind.

Anyways, to use your new “Faithful Storm”, you and Mario both must be able to attack. Now, this move requires Diggsie to throw Mario up, and using her strength to chuck lightning bolts into the sky via the A, B, Y, or X Buttons depending on the color. Mario, after you have set up these bolts, will strike them down by hitting the responding direction on the Control Pad. If it’s successful, you’ll zap your foes with enough force to inflict Stop on them.

Sounds a bit complicated, but you SHOULD be able to practice these on the Elements Menu.

Oh, and before I forget, I placed something that should help in the letter.

Good luck,

Clyde Pie

“Star Pieces?” Mario asked after Spike took out two Star Pieces in the letter.

“Yep,” Diggsie nodded. “Good to know Mr. Pie is in our corner.”

“So, anythin’ new in the news?” Boomregard asked.

“Well,” Spike said as he read it, “there’s a report on Mohan’s arrest and the attack of Hootenanny… the Colts of Nocturne’s name is finally getting in the news. I guess this means Equestria is starting to know the details as to what happened in the attack. Also, there’s a gossip article about the actress playing the main antagonist for the Daring Do reboot movie… somepony who was famous for her stage appearances back near Mushroom Kingdom territory. Also, there’s been a lot of flak from the central fan-base about certain changes the movie’s writer and director have been taking with the film, such as the decision to not include most of Daring’s regular friends with her on this adventure and the idea to make the movie have nothing to do with Daring’s usual antagonist, Ahuizotl, in order to make the film viewable a younger generation who never grew up with the books.”

“Well, that’s not going to be good for movie,” Diggsie said. “Well, we delay long enough. Let’s give Granny Smith her key back.”

---

Sweet Apple Acres

“Ah! Ya have the Key,” Granny Smith said as she received it from Mario. “Thank ya kindly, ya’ll. Now we can open the Gate to Whitetail Woods… Big Macintosh, go an’ git yer cart ready.”

“Eeyup,” Big Macintosh nodded, walking away from the group. As he did, the old green mare turned to the group.

“So yer next Element is in Los Pegasus?” she asked them. “A few Apples should be out that way. Ah’ll give ’em a call, an’ let ’em know yer a comin’.”

“Thanks, Granny Smith,” Spike nodded. “We owe you one.”

“Don’t ya worry ’bout it none,” Granny Smith nodded. “Spike, ya’ll are a friend to the Apple family, an’ yer mistress Twilight is cute… Ah was thinkin’ ’bout settin’ her up on a date with Big Macintosh.”

“…What.”

“Well, her, Fluttershy, or Miss Cheerilee,” Granny Smith confessed. “He’s shy ’round the mares, but keeps a level head… maybe best to start him slow on the datin’ path. Ah mean, the other girls in that group Applejack hangs out with are nice an’ all, but Rainbow needs to slow down ’fore she can consider datin’, Pinkie’s a wild one an’ is way too energetic fer Big Macintosh’s taste, an’, well, Ah’m not so sure Ah’d want to git in the way o’ ya an’ Rarity…” While Spike blinked at the thought of Twilight and Big Macintosh together, Diggsie and Boomregard looked at each other, not sure what to say.

“…Well, this conversation got weird,” Diggsie said after a moment. “Let’s drop it and seal it inside vault.”

“Can ya blame this ol’ mare fer wantin’ great-grandchildren ’fore her game ends?” Granny Smith shrugged. “But Ah suppose we can pretend this conversation never happened.” She then turned away. “Okay, well, we shouldn’t delay any longer. When yer ready to go, come head o’er to the southwest field. Ah’ll have the gate unlocked fer ya.” With that, the old mare began trotting over towards the southwest, leaving Mario’s group alone.

“So do you want to tell us what had you so worried earlier?” Spike asked Mario. “That old Koopa lady on a broom?”

“Look,” Mario explained, “in my experience, I’ve only encountered one woman that fits that description. And if she’s here... then that could only mean one thing.”

“That King Bowser has come to Equestria to attempt to kidnap Princess Peach?” a new voice spoke up.

“Exactly!” Mario nodded. “…Wait, which one of you said that?”

“Up here, Mario.”

“…Mama-mia.” The plumber’s group looked up to see Kammy Koopa riding her old broom, staring down at them.

“So, you said that the next Element of Harmony is in Los Pegasus?” she asked. “MWE-HE-HE! Excellent… I knew eavesdropping on you all would give me a clue.”

“Kammy Koopa…” Mario scowled. “Well, if you’re looking for Peach, you’re out of luck! There’s no way Bowser’s forces will reach her!”

“Not until the Elements of Harmony are gathered, at least,” Kammy corrected. “Bowser already knows of the Elements and of your quest to find them. We’ve already been to Canterlot and had no success in entering either. Doesn’t matter… Princess Peach can’t escape the city, and eventually the Elements will have to be gathered. You revealing to me the next location will allow me to inform King Bowser where to go next… I must inform him right away, so I’m afraid I can’t dispose of you right now. But I know someone who can, at the very least, allow me a head start.” She then zapped the ground, summoning a massive purple Clubba with orange hair, a spiky purple shell with a light blue patch on his chest.

“Huh? What am I doing here?” the large Clubba asked aloud. He then turned to see Mario, and gasped. “What the… MARIO!? What are you doing here!? And where IS here!?”

“I’m sure you’re familiar with Tubba Blubba?” Kammy asked with a mischievous smirk. “You two play nice, now… he’s a lot tougher than before.”

“Wait a minute,” Tubba Blubba asked Kammy. “Let me get this straight. You magically warped me who knows where right in the middle of a nap… just to fight Mario.”

“…Yes.”

“…You know, normally, I’d say no right away,” the Clubba replied. “I mean, last time I fought Mario, he beat me up really bad and had the ghosts chase me again… but now? Well, I’m angry that I’ve been dragged into this!” Turning to Mario as Kammy flew away, he said, “Mario! Prepare for pain!”

With that, Tubba Blubba charged, with the four barely able to dodge. Spike quickly Tattled on the big brute. “Okay, so this guy is Tubba Blubba, a powerful Clubba from the Forever Forest region in the Mushroom Kingdom. He was once one of Bowser’s prime lieutenants, now is a massive crybaby who hides in his old castle.”

“Hey!” Tubba Blubba scowled at the Dragon. “I’m actually a sensitive guy trapped in a massive body!”

“I’m just reading what the letter says!” Spike defended himself. “Seriously, this isn’t Princess Celestia’s style of writing… I think its Princess Daisy’s.”

“It’s still offensive!”

“Anyway,” Spike responded, “Tubba Blubba is a powerhouse, despite the whole… ‘sensitive guy’ thing. Not only can he Ground Pound us right into a Confused state, but he can also slap us around with his large hands and ram all of us. …Wait, what’s this about his Heart? If we damage his body enough, we can knock his Heart out and IT will attack one of us with an energy attack on top of ramming somepony before eventually retreating to Tubba’s body. Well, we have to beat that Heart, then, to defeat Tubba Blubba once and for all.”

“Somehow, I KNEW that would be the case,” Mario sighed before utilizing his new Super Hammer’s Spin Hammer technique, knocking Tubba Blubba back. Boomregard attacked with his Boomerang Toss and Diggsie her Pounce. Tubba Blubba countered that by charging, hitting all four of them. After getting up in great pain, Spike used his Dragon’s Ember to set Tubba Blubba aflame before Mario took his body down with a Power Bounce. When the large Clubba fell onto his back, he suddenly inhaled before spitting out a red Heart with beady yellow eyes staring at them.

“Uh-oh… it’s you!” the Heart spoke up to Mario. “Well, I’m not going to let you get the best of me again! Prepare to become a snack, Mario!”

The heart then began beating rapidly, glowing as it became wrapped in a bright aura. Diggsie turned to Mario, and asked, “Uh is this energy attack? I can help dodge it.” After Mario, Spike, and Boomregard each struck the Heart, Diggsie dug again, hiding Mario and Spike. Boomregard somehow managed to block most of the Heart’s special attack, but it did a pretty good chunk of damage. When Diggsie hit the Heart with her Drill Upper, the group noticed the Boomerang Bro’s injuries.

“You’ve got to stop trying to tank these fights,” Spike remarked to him.

“Hey, someone’s got to do this,” Boomregard said as he held up his Boomerang and began to spin it in his hands, causing an almost tornado effect around his Boomerang. When he threw it out, he hit the Heart with his Windy Toss, dazing it, allowing the group to get in a few extra attacks in before the Heart quickly jumped back into Tubba Blubba, healing his body up.

“Okay, time for another round!” Tubba grinned.

“Ugh, this annoying,” Diggsie groaned.

“Diggsie,” Mario said, “maybe it’s time for your new move.”

“You mean new Special Move? Can do!”

“Actually, just use your Boulder Barricade,” Mario replied. “We could use the defense.”

“Okay, fine,” Diggsie said before burrowing underground and tossing out boulders that surrounded her allies and herself, although Spike’s cracked a little.

The boulders endured Tubba’s next round of attacks for them, allowing the group to knock the Heart right out of Tubba Blubba. Spike used his Dragon’s Ember to set the heart aflame, making an obvious joke before Mario used his Power Bounce on the muscle, which rammed into Diggsie in response to the attacks, breaking her barricade. However, the following attacks were too much for the Heart, which collapsed on Tubba Blubba. It was over.

“Man, what a fight!” Spike sighed after they dusted themselves off. The Heart sprang up and hopped back into Tubba Blubba, who had tears in his eyes.

“WAAAAA!” the large Clubba cried. “I didn’t want to fight again… and now, I don’t even know where I am!” He then ran away from the farm, leaving four stunned people in his wake.

“…Mama-mia,” Mario groaned again. “Bowser is definitely involved, knows about the Elements, and thanks to this distraction, is ahead of us. We can’t waste anymore time here.”

“I suppose,” Spike shrugged. “If we’re ready to go, we should head to the southwest field. By the way, Mario, on our way, can you tell me about this Bowser guy? You make him sound like he’s bad news.”

“Bowser’s my arch nemesis,” Mario simplified. “He’s also known as King Koopa. An evil brute, Bowser and I have been enemies since we were both babies, and I had to be carried around by Yoshi's ancestors, then my future self, then Luigi and I went to the Real World to grow up, then came back to the Mushroom Kingdom and our rivalry with Bowser really kicked off. He’s also kidnapped Peach almost on a regular basis, about the same amount of times I’ve beaten him. But despite the amount of wins I’ve chalked up against Bowser, he’s no pushover.”

“Well, we also have Colts of Nocturne as well,” Diggsie mused. “Both sides after Elements… let’s hope they don’t team up.”

“Doubt it,” Mario replied. “Bowser hates anyone who gets in the way of him kidnapping Peach… and the power of the Elements is way too tempting to him to want to share. And even if Sirius is more cooperative with others, his henchmen Night Fortune and Carbon don't seem to get along very well. We’re going to be fighting both Bowser and Sirius, but they’ll be just as against each other as they are against us.”

“Darn,” Spike sighed. “Well, let’s go.” The group walked over to the southwest field, where Granny Smith unlocked the gate while Big Macintosh stood hitched to a huge cart full of barrels and buckets of apple products with room to spare.

“There ya’ll are,” Granny waved them over. “It sounded like some sort o’ commotion happened in front o’ the barn. Ya’ll okay?”

“We’ll be fine,” Mario nodded. "But if you see a giant, crying Clubba, inform the police."

"...What."

"It's a long story," Mario commented. "Anyways, we should get going, now."

“Well, if ya’ll are ready, hop onto the cart. Big Mac, ya have room fer ’em in there?”

“Eeyup,” the red stallion said. “Ah’ll git ya to Whitetail Woods, Mr. Mario. Ya ready to go?”

“Let’s-a-go!” the plumber nodded before jumping onto the cart and sitting next to a barrel. The others climbed into the cart as well. “Uh, by the way, are you sure you can carry all of us and this cart?”

“Eeyup,” Big Macintosh nodded before beginning to trot. Sure enough, the cart began to move. However, as they began to roll, three small fillies began running towards the cart.

“WAAIITTT, BIG MACCC!” Apple Bloom called as she, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo galloped as fast as their little legs could carry them. Soon enough, the trio of fillies jumped on, landing next to Diggsie and Boomregard.

“What are you three doing here?” Spike questioned.

“You’re going to Los Pegasus, right?” Scootaloo asked. “Well, we are, too!”

“Don’t you girls have school?” Mario asked.

“It’s a three-day weekend,” Sweetie Belle answered. “And besides, we want to see if we can see the movie shoot for Daring Do! If we get autographs, Rarity, Applejack, Twilight, and Rainbow Dash will be impressed when you rescue them!”

“An’ Miss Goombella told us yer goin’ after the Colts o’ Nocturne,” Apple Bloom added. “Their leader’s gonna be there, right? Well, we were thinkin’… if the shop don’t work out, maybe our Cutie Marks are in bad guy catchin’! That way, we can find our sisters an’ save the world!”

“Girls,” Mario replied, “Sirius Nebula defeated Spike and I in seconds when he was at full strength. Even if he’s barely able to walk around, he’s still a powerful Unicorn. You should leave getting the Element to us.” He noticed the wagon was not stopping. “Uh, Big Macintosh? Shouldn’t you turn this wagon around?”

“Eenope,” Big Macintosh replied. “Somethin’ ya ought to know ’bout mah little sisters… they’re stubborn. Mean well, but they’re stubborn. ’Sides, this is the Cutie Mark Crusaders yer talkin’ ’bout. They’ll git to Los Pegasus eventually. This way, they at least have an adult with ’em.” As the wagon pulled towards the Whitetail Woods, Mario looked at the three little smiles looking up at him. He shook his head, hoping they would not be any trouble.

Author's Note:

And we're back! This author's note shall be a short one.

1) So, as you all saw in these parts, Trixie and Filthy Rich are on the scene. Now, I find Trixie one of the most complicated characters to write for whenever she's a major character. I mean, whenever she's a main character, she's usually portrayed as either an overly sympathetic Woobie character that the Mane Six or others go out of their way to help, or an unlikeable jerk. It's stuff like Trixie's difficult-to-get-right characterization that makes me realize canon characters would be a bad idea as Mario's partners... sans Spike, because he is actually one of the closest characters to the Mane Six and would have the strongest reason to attempt to save them all. Therefore, Trixie is now a bundle up of Paper Mario 1's Merlon and other members of his family... particularly the one who does the fortune telling. Oh, and she has the other Transfer Chest so when we're playing as the Bearers, they can drop off items to Mario via her. She's useful!

Moving on! Filthy Rich, why are you so fun? Too bad Diamond Tiara is so bratty... but her father's nice. You know, I bet his shop has some of the best buyable items in Ponyville much later in the game. At least, until you're able to access Canterlot again (which would reasonably have the best shops in the game).

Tubba Blubba boss fight? Well, why not? I felt a classic boss from the original Paper Mario should return besides just the Koopa Bros. (don't worry, we'll fight them), and Tubba Blubba was the first one that came to mind. Besides Jr. Troopa and General Guy, but I have plans for those two.

2) So, there's not really much I can go over for locations other than the Schoolhouse was to show that Goombella is in fact working for Cheerilee. But, if you guys really want something, I suppose I should talk about our next chapter location.

Los Pegasus. Of all of the places I could have picked, you're probably wondering why a parody of Los Angeles meets Los Vegas? Wait, did I go over this? Maybe, maybe not. But still, Los Pegasus was only briefly mention in "It's About Time", and we know for a fact that movies are made in the FiMverse. So, going to explore the movies is a great idea for a Paper Mario story... nowhere near as scary as Gusty Gulch and Tubba Blubba, or awesome as wrestling in the Glitz Pit, or as nostalgic as Super Paper Mario's Bitlands, but hey! Movies! And WALUIGI TIME! WAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

...Yes, Waluigi and Wario will make cameos, now anyone who asked, you're welcome.

3) You know, I'm actually kind of getting tired of explaining a lot of things. So, tell you what. If I get a constantly repeated question about why something is the way it is and I can properly justify it, that's what section 3 is going to be from now on.

Now before I go, let me ask if anyone here can figure out what the next partner is going to be? The only hint I can give is that he (and it is going to be male) can be anywhere, anything, or even anyONE. Think happy thoughts for this one and he'll be happy, too.

See you all, later!