• Published 25th Dec 2012
  • 6,864 Views, 552 Comments

Paper Mario: The Land of Harmony - Blade Squall



Mario & friends travel to Equestria for a vacation. Unfortunately, bad stuff happens. Now, Mario, Spike, and six new heroes have to save the Elements of Harmony... and Peach. Oh, and everything's made of paper. Have fun!

  • ...
10
 552
 6,864

Post Chapter 1- Return to Ponyville

-MARIO-

Appleloosa

Boomregard, Karoline, Kooper, Kolorado, Braeburn, and Silverstar and Mario each threw one final shovel of dirt onto the real Boomregard’s grave. Despite the cheerful atmosphere that the rest of the town had over the defeat of Black Mask Guylan and his gang, it was a far more hollow victory to the current Wild Spin Boomregard. Immediately after gaining the title as Temporary Bearer of Honesty, Boomregard went back to the Buffalo Burial Grounds, returning hours into the night with the body of the fallen Boomerang Bro he was mistaken for. As the full moon rose over them all, Mario was not going to ask how Boomregard had managed to free him, but instead nodded in silent understanding while Spike had gone to bed. Silverstar, seeing this scene, decided to direct the two to the cemetery, grabbing shovels as he did so. Braeburn, Karoline, Kolorado, and Kooper all volunteered to give the old Wild Spin a proper burial.

As the seven went about their work, the townsfolk could not help but watch in curiosity. However, as they watched, they realized who was being buried, and looking at the Boomerang Bro who was burying him. They knew, once and for all, that this Boomerang Bro was not to the original… he was just as big of a victim as the rest of them had been to Guylan, whose torture of the real Boomregard had eventually led to his demise.

After they were done with their work, Boomregard walked in front of the group, placing his predecessor’s hat on his tombstone. He then held up a black Boomerang, and then threw it to the sky. When it returned towards him, Boomregard caught it in his hand before placing its point into the fresh dirt.

“Mario,” the Boomerang Bro explained his actions, “many different Bros have different actions fer when they pass on from this world. A Hammer Bro has their Hammer stuck into the ground where they lay fer eternity. A Fire Bro’s body is burned. An Ice Bro’s body is frozen. Thunder Bros have their bodies buried in a storm.”

“Wait, Thunder Bros?” Mario asked, surprised he’s just hearing of these enemies now.

“As fer us Boomerang Bros… well, we throw their Boomerang one last time ’fore plantin’ it, as if to send off their spirit. Ah probably weren’t that spiritual in mah previous life, but… Ah figured it’s the closest to a funeral the real Wild Spin was ever gonna git. Thank ya fer helpin’ me out, by the way.”

Several citizens looked at each other before trotting over to him, offering words of apology and thanks for his actions to save the town. That was, of course, before they saw the Element on his wrist. Many were surprised by this development, but Boomregard assured them all it was only a temporary position he was occupying.

“So,” Silverstar breathed after Mario told him of what happened in the Buffalo Burial Grounds, “that’s what happened?”

“In a nutshell, yes,” Mario concluded with a nod. Looking at Boomregard, he said, “That Boomerang Bro, whether anyone likes it or not, is carrying the Element of Honesty until we can give it back to Applejack… so, if you don’t mind…”

“Yeah, sure,” Silverstar nodded. “Look, since ya proved once an’ fer all he ain’t the real Boomregard, Ah can’t keep him locked up. Ya can take him. But… let me warn ya right now, Mario. Word ain’t gonna spread o’ the real Wild Spin’s game endin’ that quickly… just like worn didn’t spread o’ Canterlot bein’ sealed, the Bearers captured, an’ the Elements scattered ’til ya brought the news to me. As far as most citizens o’ the west are concerned, yer workin’ with an outlaw with a bounty on his head. Yer gonna have to be extra careful if ya plan on bringin’ Boomregard anywhere.”

“I will,” Mario replied. “Hopefully we’ll be able to fix his reputation with our quest.” That was when the ground began to rumble again… this time from the east. Mario, of course, was shocked. “What’s that!?” the plumber asked the calm Braeburn and Silverstar.

“The Buffalo stampede,” Braeburn answered. Grabbing the plumber, he said, “Come on, we’re gittin’ outta the way. Doc, grab Kolorado’s group. Sherriff, git Boomregard an’ have somepony wake up Spike. Mario, it’s time ya saw somethin’ that yer gonna remember fer the rest o’ yer life.”

Silverstar blinked at Braeburn’s take-charge attitude. “Braeburn,” he asked as he trotted after him and Mario, “have ya considered runnin’ fer mayor? ’Cause yer tellin’ me what to do… an’ it sounds like a good idea.”

Soon enough, from the upper level of the Salt Lick Saloon, Mario, Spike, Boomregard, Karoline, Kolorado, Kooper, and Kolorado’s other archeologists all watched in awe as the Buffalo tribe stampeded straight through town. As they passed a certain point, Apple Pies landed neatly on their heads. Mario and Boomregard were clearly more impressed than the others. “An’ this happens every year?” Boomregard asked the baby Dragon.

“Yep,” Spike smiled. “And it’s still as amazing as ever!”

“Outstanding how traditions can go,” Kolorado replied. “It’s a shame we could not find any treasure that we could spare.” Mario and Kooper rolled their eyes.

“Professor,” Kooper chuckled, “you and your treasure hunts. Don’t worry… we’ll find something before we leave Equestria.” After the stampede ended and it was safe to go to the streets again, Kooper, Kolorado, Karoline, Silverstar, Braeburn, Little Strongheart, and Chief Thunderhooves prepared to see the trio off.

Looking at Mario, Kooper asked, “So, now that you have your Element… what happens now?”

“Now,” Mario shrugged, “I guess we go back to Ponyville. Goombella’s waiting for us, there, and she’ll probably know where we’ll find another Element of Harmony.”

“Ah, Miss Goombella,” Kolorado smirked. “A fellow student of Prof. Frankly. Give her my regards, Mario.”

“Our train station is still in need o’ repairs,” Silverstar announced. “I would’ve suggested that.”

“You remember the location of the strange Pipe that brought you here, yes?” Thunderhooves asked. “You should probably make do with that, heroes.”

“Thank you again for freeing our Burial Grounds,” Strongheart bowed. “No doubt members of Guylan’s gang will still be holed up in there, but we can take care of the rest. Soon enough, our ancestors will rest easy once again.”

“Do ya really have to leave, Boomregard?” Karoline asked in concern. “An’ now?”

“Ah’m ’fraid so, Doc,” Boomregard answered, tipping his hat downward. “Mario an’ Spike need me more so than this town, does. If we don’t find the Elements o’ Harmony in time, the whole world’s doomed. But… Ah can’t thank ya enough fer what ya did fer me.”

“How ’bout ya come back alive when yer done with this quest, ya hear?” Karoline smiled at him. “That’ll be thanks enough. In the meantime… Ah’ll keep an eye out fer someone who knows somethin’ ’bout that charm o’ yers. Ah’ll write ya when Ah find somethin’.”

“Thanks, Dr. Karoline,” Boomregard smiled at her.

“Don’t be strangers in AAAAAAPPLE-LOOSA!” Braeburn told them. “Come ’gain! Maybe ya can join in on our wild west dances sometime, Mario.”

“Uh, maybe I’ll pass on that,” Mario declined. Turning to Spike and Boomregard, he asked, “Ready to hit the road, boys?”

“Ah was wonderin’ when we’d saddle up an’ head on out,” Boomregard commented. “Too bad we ain’t got any Yoshis ready to ride into the sunset… an’ Ah think our pony friends would take offense to us ridin’ them.”

Spike was about to answer, but he instead sharply inhaled, before burping out a flame… right into Mario’s face and on his hat. Some yelling, apologizing, rolling around, and waving off hats later, Spike picked up not one, but two Magic Scrolls. He opened the first one.

Dear Mario and Spike,

We are glad to hear that you have succeeded in recovering one of the Elements of Harmony. I figured I should send my note prior to Princess Peach’s for one reason only: To answer Spike’s question about why the Element began to glow. You see, by rescuing the Element and finding its Temporary Bearer, you have learned a Super Move. The Element in question, Honesty, allows you to use the move, “Truth’s Relief” with one full point of Element Power, or EP, gathered. I know you’re probably used to Star Power, but with Star Power and Star Points sharing a similar acronym, I felt this was a better title.

Spike, you might be wondering what’s going on more so than anypony else, since you’ve been exposed to the Elements longer than anypony in your group yet you’ve never heard of this. This is for good reason that the Elements, only when together, can use their most powerful technique, “Rainbow of Harmony”, and there has never been a need for the Elements to make use of their separate powers until now. I suggest you practice making use of the Elements’ power before continuing on your journey. I have included instructions for Element training on the back of this letter. Remember, though… you cannot gain access to the Rainbow of Harmony and its power until the Elements have all been gathered.

Sincerely,

Princess Celestia

“Sounds strange,” Boomregard voiced while Spike checked the back. “But at the same time, rather interestin’ to know ya can use a new technique, Mario.”

“I’ll help out anyway I can,” Kooper volunteered. “So, what does that letter say, Spike?”

“Alright,” Spike answered, looking at the letter. “…That’s strange. Princess Celestia makes mention of scrolling to the bottom of your Action Command Menu, where an icon labeled, ‘Special’ will pop up. She then says that there are a few rules you must be aware of when using these Special Moves. One, the partner who represents the virtue of the Element you’re using can’t be incapacitated in any way. That means they cannot be afflicted with any of the following status alignments: Asleep, Confused, Stopped, Frozen, or Unconscious.”

“That seems a bit more complicated than Mario’s previous Specials,” Kooper voiced. “Why does he need the Bearers’ not afflicted with those?”

“Apparently using a Special move takes not just Mario’s turn, but the Temporary Bearer’s turn as well,” Spike answered. “Both of them must be able to use the move. Anyways, Mario, Boomregard… use your new move, Truth’s Relief, to recover HP and FP for the party.”

Mario and Boomregard looked at the Dragon, the amnesiac Boomerang Bro more so. “Uh… what?” Mario asked.

“I’m just reading the instructions Princess Celestia told me to,” Spike answered with a shrug. “Just… shout ‘Truth’s Relief’ at the same time, okay?”

Mario and Boomregard each counted to three before calling out, “TRUTH’S RELIEF!” Soon enough, the Element of Honesty on Boomregard’s list lit up, shooting a light into the sky. The next thing everyone knew, apples with pictures of Mario, Spike, and Boomregard’s faces began raining down, small little parachutes attached to them. Some of these apples had Hearts next to their faces, while others had Flowers.

“Now what, partner?” Boomregard questioned.

“Okay,” Spike answered, “you guys take turns knocking them hitting the apples. That should automatically heal us at the end. Mario uses his Hammer, Boomregard his Boomerang. Just flick the Left Control Stick for Mario, and the Right for Boomregard.”

“Kind of sounds like a couple tricks I learned before,” Mario announced. With a few Hammer and Boomerang tosses, several apples were struck, and the party’s energy felt restored.

“Fancy trick aside,” Boomregard said, “Ah feel mah Element is drained.” As if to emphasize his point, he held up his wrist to show the Element’s color faded.

“Right,” Spike said while looking at the letter. “Apparently, Element Power is drained by use of these Special Moves. Luckily for us, charging Element Power can be done in three ways. Let’s cover them real quick before we leave. Resting up at an inn or sleeping in the bed at the library back in Ponyville will automatically fill up all Element Power… the same with leveling up, whatever that means. Heart Blocks won’t recover it, no matter how many times you hit them. But for now, let’s focus on the battle ways to recover Element Power. For starters… there’s an audience watching us? What are we, on some kind of stage?”

Mario looked at the crowd of watchers who had come to see what was going on. “Uh, maybe not a stage, perhaps,” the plumber answered. “But people tend to be drawn to this kind of thing.”

“Uh, okay,” Spike shrugged. “Well, anyways, our audience is the key to building up Element Power while in battle.” Looking at the letter, he announced, “So, first off, we have the basic Action Command. While doing the move normally will grant some Element Power from the audience, some of them will get bored and straight up leave if they see stale moves, so you have to strive for successful Action Commands to keep their attention. Simple enough, if we perform a successful Action Command, even my Tattle ability, not only will it do more damage, but we’ll get some Element Power from the audience. Unfortunately, I doubt Kooper’s in any Tattle Log Princess Celestia can find, so… I’m going to have to attack him.”

“Oh boy,” Kooper winced. “This is going to hurt when you flip me on my shell, isn’t it?”

“I’m sorry,” Spike nervously blushed. “But, I’ll try to keep it gentle since we’re just practicing.” Spike then performed a (light) Jackhammer Tail, flipping Kooper on his back and doing some damage. The crowd of Appleloosans predictably cheered for Spike’s successful move. Soon enough, the Element of Honesty began to have a light glow to it. Kooper got back up.

“Not bad, kid,” the Koopa Troopa smirked. “But it could be better…”

“Right,” Mario chuckled. “Spike, your Jackhammer Tail is nice, but it lacks… style.”

“Strange coincidence,” the Dragon commented. “Stylish Action Commands build up even more Element Power than just normal Action Commands. Apparently, you have to hit the A Button— whatever that is— at the right moment. Timing for that differs on each move, so it’s up to you to find them all. Fair warning: using Items will not increase Element Power, so do not expect that to be a benefit. Neither will successful Special Moves build it back up. Another, easy-to-forget way to build up Element Power without risking your audience’s attention or doing nothing is to perform an Appeal. Whether it is a simple wave or a heroic pose, letting your audience know that you appreciate them is a surefire way to rile them up and get them to contribute to building up Element Power.”

“Nice,” Mario smiled, offering a wave. The crowd cheered at the wave, causing it to glow.

“Finally,” Spike commented, “a final trick you ought to know is the more you perform successful Action Commands, the more you’ll build up a crowd. And the bigger your audience, the more Element Power they will grant you. But your audience has a limit to how many viewers can watch you at a time… to get a bigger audience capacity; you have to increase your Performance Rank, which can only be done once every tenth level. Did you get all of that, Mario?”

“Yeah, I did,” Mario commented, ending the tutorial, causing the crowd to clap and disperse. “Whew… it’s been a long time since I had any Special Moves like those.” Sure enough, Boomregard’s Element began to glow again, signaling it was ready. “So, what was the other letter?”

“Oh, right,” Spike said, looking at the next document.

Dear Mario,

I’m glad to hear you’re doing okay! Anyways, I have news for you about that prophecy. Believe it or not, the Dark Prognosticus— the dark book we encountered before of predictions and prophecies— had one on this very event. Anyways, Sirius’ attack is starting to upset the balance of Harmony in Equestria, starting the next full moon night. Things will start happening causing Equestria to signal the balance of the land falling apart.

If you don’t find all of the Elements of Harmony by the following full moon, the balance of Harmony will be beyond restorable here in Equestria… and begin to spread throughout the world. Please, Mario… you must not let things come to this. That’s unfortunately all I’ve found out. I’m sorry I can’t help you any more right now… but apparently Princess Celestia is trying to get some form of outside help that Spike knows about.

Oh, speaking of Spike… I’m really sorry we don’t know anything about the whereabouts of the Bearers. I know he’s desperately missing them, like any child would miss their family. I can’t help but worry for the poor thing. Mario, take good care of him.

Love,

Peach

Spike nervously blushed before sticking the letter in his pocket. “Uh, can we go to Ponyville now?” the Dragon asked, embarrassed that Peach wrote that last part for him.

“Sorry, Spike,” Mario nervously chuckled. “When Peach finds something adorable… she doesn’t hold back on gushing over it.” Growing serious, though, he said, “But we should let Goombella know about this development… that whole ‘end of the world’ thing is definitely bad.” Turning back to Kooper, Kolorado, Braeburn, Silverstar, Karoline, Thunderhooves, and Strongheart, Mario waved, “Well, for real, we’re leaving.”

“See ya ’round, Mario,” Silverstar nodded. “Don’t be a stranger.” With that, Mario’s team headed west, towards the desert, leaving the young town of Appleloosa behind. If this was a western film, this would be the part where the credits began to roll.

Kolorado looked at Kooper. “Well, Kooper, gather the team. We’ll need to prepare to leave as well. Find a new place to explore. We’ll see the true history of Equestria even if it kills me!” Kooper shook his head in amusement before going off on his task.

“Finally,” Silverstar breathed. “Yer leavin’.” While everyone else laughed, Karoline smiled, looking towards Boomregard’s path.

“Stars Spirits, Celestia, Luna,” Karoline whispered aloud, “Ah beg ya… if ya’ll allow me a single, selfish wish… watch o’er that Boomerang Bro an’ make sure he lives to find out who he truly is.”

---

Everfree Forest

The walk through the San Palomino was rather uneventful. Sure, they found a Star Piece or two while looking as well as a surprising item, a miniature Bill Blaster that could be carried around. But other than those lucky finds and a few battles with Bandits, Mario returned to the Warp Pipe he used to come to the desert region in the first place unharmed.

“Usually,” Mario remarked while holding the Bill Blaster as they emerged from the Warp Pipe, “these things fire at me. Wonder why they’re not?”

“Probably cause it ain’t activated,” Boomregard answered, looking at the instructions of how it worked. “If ya place it on the ground, Bullet Bills will fire from it at our foes every couple o’ rounds until the Blaster's either destroyed or the battle ends.”

“And somepony’s allowing us to use it?” Spike asked as they walked through the trail.

“Hey,” a voice called from above them, “is somepony down there?” Mario’s group looked up to see Derpy flying above them, looking down as best as she could. “Hi, there, Mr. Mario! Spike! How are you guys?” She then flew down, landing in front of them.

“Derpy?” Spike asked. “How are you?”

“I’m fine,” Derpy smiled. “Well, this saves me trouble of going all of the way to the desert to find you again! Anyways, hate to interrupt whatever adventures you’re going on, but I have…” She then turned to her saddlebags, pulling out two letters for Mario’s group… and a blueberry muffin for herself. “Mff frr yoo! (Mail for you!)”

Spike took the letters off of her, allowing her to eat her muffin. “Thank you, Derpy,” the baby Dragon smiled at the mail mare.

“Thank you for being close,” Derpy replied. She then spotted Boomregard, and asked, “…Hey, who’s your friend?”

“He’s an ally of ours,” Mario explained. “We call him Boomregard.”

“Boomregard?” the Pegasus asked. “Oh, right! Hold on a second.” She then reached into her saddlebag again, pulling out a letter for Boomregard. The Boomerang Bro took it from her snout, offering her a gentle nod. “Have a nice adventure, everypony!”

With that, Derpy took to the skies, leaving Mario’s group to look at the three letters they have received. They were from— in no particular order— The New Yoke Times, Kolorado, and… someone named Angel.

Curious about that last one, Mario opened it up first.

Dear Mr. Plumber and Annoying Dragon,

I could not help but notice you walking by my owner’s cottage the other day. You’re the closest thing to heroes I have since my overly timid owner, bless her heart, is not here to sort this out, so I beg you: STOP WHATEVER YOU’RE DOING AND GET BACK TO FLUTTERSHY’S ON THE DOUBLE, IDIOTS!

Sincerely,

Angel Bunny

P.S.,

BRING THE ELEMENTS OF HARMONY, DARN YOU!

“Did that darn rabbit learn how to write from Fluttershy?” Spike asked, somewhat annoyed by Angel’s bossy tone. Turning to Mario, he explained, “While Fluttershy has several animals at her home, Angel is her main pet, a white rabbit who is anything BUT what his name suggests. Let’s just say he and I hardly see eye-to-eye when compared to the rest of my friends’ pets... which, considering my relationship with Owlowiscious, is saying a lot. Boomregard, what does yours say?”

Dear Boomregard,

Kooper and I want to confess that despite initial hostilities against you, we have come to trust you. The town of Appleloosa has grown to respect you, as well. You certainly showed them a thing or two with your heroic actions. Maybe you’ll even turn the legacy of Wild Spin around from a dangerous outlaw to a true hero with the Mario.

Anyways, I figured I remind you how your technique with Mario works. Remember, for “Truth’s Relief”, flick the Left and Right Control Sticks to hit the apples in the sky as they float down with either Mario’s Hammer tosses or your Boomerang as the cursors scroll up and down the screen. You can’t use the bruised apples to recover HP and FP, so any apples touching the ground are of no use to you. From my adventures, making sure you’re in proper health is the difference between being alive and ending up in the Underwhere.

Speaking of which, I must be returning to my travels with my fellow archeologists. Should I find ANY news about the Elements of Harmony during my travels, you all will be the first to know!

Until we meet again,

Kolorado, Ph. D.

Mario’s team looked at each other, surprised by how quick Equestria’s mail service was and how swiftly Kolorado had written that letter.

“So, what’s that from the New Yoke Times?” Boomregard asked aloud. Mario opened it, looking confused at the contents of the letter. To summarize, it gave them some general information he knew: the attack on Canterlot, the disappearance of the Bearers, and the defeat of Black Mask Guylan. However, there was some new information. Some eastern town’s Bell Tower was destroyed in a freak accident, but a pair of Unicorn brothers were on the case, creating a new tourist attraction for the town.

Also, in another town, the titular character of a book series, someone by the name of “Daring Do”, was getting a movie reboot for her film franchise. The film’s writer is rather experienced with the franchise, saying she loved to read the stories to her daughter when she was younger, and was using the film as a distraction from the disappearance of said daughter and the sealing of her hometown, signaling she was from Canterlot. The film’s crew planned to bring in an esteemed stage actress who would make her big screen debut as the movie’s villainess, Countess Augusta. The identity of the actress playing the film’s protagonist, however, remains a mystery.

“Sounds like Equestria is doing everything in its power to avoid talking about the attack on Canterlot,” Mario remarked. “There’s more on these two towns’ interesting happenings than Canterlot and that force trying to break into it.”

“Shining Armor is probably trying to cover up the rescue efforts’ progress,” Spike suggested. “The last thing that the news reporters need to know is stuff like ‘how long can Canterlot survive a forced quarantine before they run out of supplies’ or the fact that ‘the spell used to seal Canterlot was designed to be strong enough to resist the magic of Equestria’s co-rulers’.”

“Or mah personal favorite,” Boomregard interjected, “the fact that ‘the fate o’ an entire country rests in the hands o’ a plumber who goes on too many adventures fer his own good, the baby Dragon sidekick o’ the Bearers o’ the Elements, an’ some random cowboy Boomerang Bro who don’t have the slightest idea o’ who he is’.” Both Mario and Spike looked at the Boomerang Bro. “…What? It’s the truth ’bout our ragtag posse, an’ stuff like that would cause hootenannies o’ the riot kind ’mong the townsfolk who have no idea what’s goin’ on or who we are.”

“Talk about brutal honesty,” Mario said, pocketing the letter. “Thanks for killing the mood, Boomregard.”

“Ah just call ’em as Ah see ’em, Mario,” Boomregard replied. “An’ knowin’ our luck, our posse is gonna git weirder.”

Eventually, though, they made it to Zecora’s Hut, where Spike remembered something. “Hey, Mario,” the Dragon asked aloud, “Zecora wanted three Florie’s Roots, right?”

“Yeah,” Mario recalled, walking over to knock on Zecora’s door.

“I see you all have arrived,” the Zebra’s voice announced from behind them, startling Mario and Boomregard into turning around, shocked. Standing behind them was none other than Zecora, and Spike was surprisingly used to it. “I had no doubt that you had survived.”

“Hi, Zecora,” the Dragon smiled, holding up the three Florie’s Roots. “We brought you these.” Zecora took them into her hooves, examining them. She eventually smiled at the heroes’ work.

“You have my eternal thanks,” she said aloud. “Come inside, and I will grant you a rank.”

“A rank?” Spike and Boomregard asked aloud. Mario, however, realized what Zecora had meant.

“You mean you have the ability to grant Super Ranks?” he questioned. Zecora nodded, before allowing them into her hut.

It was rather spacious, for certain. Bottles and jars filled with who knew what decorated the shelves and some even hung from the ceiling. A wooden stump was used as a table. A bamboo staff rested on the wall, but Mario had doubt that it was used for combat, but rather for some sort of meditation. Finally, in the middle of the area was a massive cauldron. Mario knew for certain that Zecora was a witch doctor, but he was actually surprised how into the role she was.

“One positive of this potentially disastrous weed,” Zecora explained as she held up one of the Florie’s Roots, “is that their petals reek with the power that you need. Stronger attacks, a new move and more health will come quick. But at least three plants will make this power permanently stick.”

“Not to be rude,” Boomregard announced, “but can someone explain to me what she means by all o’ that, without the rhyme?”

“She means she can create a potion from the Florie’s Roots that will give us a power boost,” Spike translated, having been around Zecora enough. “Also, she needed three of them at least to brew one that makes the effects of the potion permanent.”

“In short,” Mario summarized, “she’s going to give you guys Super Ranks. But… these plants seem sentient, evil weeds or no.”

“I only take the petals and nothing more,” Zecora answered, plucking petals from each of the plants. “It is in the petals’ pollen where their true power is in store. The rest of the plant will learn that way that Equestria is not their place to stay.” As if to prove her point, the three Florie’s Roots woke up, horrified.

“AAAHHH!” one of them shouted. “My petals! My beautiful petals! They’re gone!”

“Even worse!” another added, pointing at Zecora. “It’s a Zebra! She knew about us!”

“Forget the invasion plan!” the last of them yelled. “If there’s a Zebra, this place isn’t WORTH following through taking over, no matter how much plant life! RUN AWAY!” With that, the three Flories escaped into the wilderness.

“Well, off they go,” Mario said, surprised. “So, where were we? Something about you granting my partners Super Ranks?”

“Yes but there is one catch I must inform you,” the Zebra answered, going to work with grinding up the petals into a fine powder and mixing it with various liquids she had in her place. “From this amount of petals only a single batch I can brew.”

“…So, only one o’ us can get this upgrade?” Boomregard concluded from Zecora's words. “Well, then… Spike, all yers.”

“What!?” the Dragon asked, surprised.

“Ya know this lady longer than Ah do,” he explained. “An’ yer a Dragon. Ya can stomach just ’bout anythin’.”

“You don’t have to do this if you don’t want to,” Mario commented.

“No, I’ll… I’ll drink it,” Spike insisted. “If this is as you say, Mario, I’ll need all of the power I can get to help saving Rarity, Twilight, and everypony. Besides, if it doesn’t… well, I’ll be less hungry.” Soon enough, Zecora was finished with making her potion, and placed a cup in front of Spike.

“If you wish for Spike to drink this batch,” Zecora acknowledged, “then it’s time for him to send it down his hatch.”

The Dragon gulped in concern, worried about this. But then, he breathed a sigh to relax himself, picking up the cup, and then drinking its contents. Surprisingly, it was not bad. In fact, it had a honey taste to it… and that was right before the slight bitter sting of ginger it left on his tongue. When Spike put the drink down, he could not help but then flinch in mild pain. His eyes then snapped open, glowing with a new fire. Spike hardly even noticed his scales giving off a mild glow as well before it faded.

Spike has increased to Super Rank! He now can use Dragon’s Ember to strike a single target, possibly burning them! Be warned: certain enemies are resistant to fire and some even heal from it! Spike’s field Dragon Flame can now perform First Strikes!

“Thanks, Zecora,” the Dragon nodded.

“You are welcome, my friend,” Zecora bowed. “If you find more Florie’s Roots or just wish to chat, please come again.”

“We will,” Mario agreed with a nod. “Let’s go, boys.”

“There is another catch I must inform you before you depart,” Zecora interrupted the three. “Too much of the Florie’s pollen can be dangerous for one’s heart.”

“…Okay, now I’m lost,” Spike interrupted. “What are you talking about, Zecora?”

“The pollen from the plants is quite powerful indeed,” the Zebra elaborated. “But that is just another reason why Florie’s Roots are considered a weed. Yes, the increase in power is most kind. But an overdose of this pollen can ruin somepony’s mind.”

“And you didn’t tell us until AFTER I drank the potion because…?”

“To give you a fair warning should in the future more power you seek. Without the right final ingredient, to create a second safe batch for you I am too weak.”

“So you can’t do Ultra Ranks,” Mario realized. “Well, so much for the early next step. But if we find three more, I can upgrade Boomregard or any other partner I get that’s NOT Spike safely.” Zecora nodded.

“I’m sorry I forgot this fact,” the Zebra bowed in apology. “I will now let you get back on track.”

With that, Mario, Spike, and Boomregard bid Zecora farewell before leaving her hut. With nothing left in their way, they returned to Ponyville rather quickly, Spike feeling slightly more powerful as he marched through the forest. As far as he was concerned, they were a step closer to rescuing his friends... and a step closer to facing Sirius Nebula.

Author's Note:

After a bit of a hiatus, I have decided to continue... despite the fact that I have a cold right now!

Anyways, yes, you read that Chapter title right. I feel bad that I keep having to make you guys read long parts (by my definition, long is over 20 pages in Microsoft Word). This update had I kept this chapter and the next one together? 29 pages. Yeah, I want to keep you all reading, but I'm not about to torture you. So I decided to separate this and the next one apart, with the next one taking place entirely in Ponyville right before Chapter 2. Speaking of which...

I encourage you all to guess where Goombella is going to point our heroes next! I will NOT give any hints beyond the ones mentioned in this chapter.

1 & 2) Yeah, no new characters or locations, unfortunately. This is a cooldown chapter, after all, and we're just backtracking to Ponyville.

3) Did you enjoy the return of the Special Move system from Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door? Well, unfortunately, many of you guys will probably hate the fact that the Specials depend entirely on your partners. Well, the reason for this is because each partner Mario picks up will have a different Element of Harmony (and by extension a new power), and we all know the Elements are not very effective without their chosen Bearers. While Mario does get to decide when the power is used, the Bearer has to be in good health, as well.

Next, you're probably wondering why Kolorado just mailed Boomregard a letter. These letters in the post chapters are to explain to players how to do each of the Special Moves you're going to pick up so Mario has a general idea of what he's doing.

Speaking of letters, you're probably wondering why we didn't go in full detail describing what each of the news reports in the New Yoke Times had to say. I want it to be vague, describing things you already know, and giving mild hints of what is to come without flat-out saying them.

Anyways, now you know how Zecora is ranking up Mario's partners. So, you're probably asking yourselves: "Why did you upgrade Spike when he's not exactly a powerhouse compared to Boomregard? You should have either saved the Florie's Roots for the next partner or used them on Boomregard!" I just wanted to show how Super Ranks worked, and let's be honest: Spike NEEDS the power boost to keep up with Mario and Boomregard since the dual abilities system forces you to use all of your party members at some point!

Well, have a nice day!