• Published 25th Dec 2012
  • 6,863 Views, 552 Comments

Paper Mario: The Land of Harmony - Blade Squall



Mario & friends travel to Equestria for a vacation. Unfortunately, bad stuff happens. Now, Mario, Spike, and six new heroes have to save the Elements of Harmony... and Peach. Oh, and everything's made of paper. Have fun!

  • ...
10
 552
 6,863

Intro Part 2

Mario Bros.’ House, Mushroom Kingdom

It was a beautiful day in the Mushroom Kingdom. The usual contents of a good day were to be seen at the home of the world famous Mario Brothers. The sun was high in the sky, shining down upon the house. Hardly a cloud was out of place. The green Warp Pipe that connected the house to Toad Town was nice and clean. And the local Mail Paratroopa was flying down, carrying his trusty mailbag.

This Paratroopa did not know why, but he loved delivering letters to and from places throughout the kingdom. Sure he had a bit of a clumsy streak, but he managed to make do with himself. And he was especially careful for any letters that had to be for a certain friend of his.

As he turned towards the mailbox, the Paratroopa slid the letters inside the box. He turned towards the house, and breathed in, ready to say a classic line-

“Oh, hello, Parakarry!” a female voice interrupted him, causing the Paratroopa to gasp in surprise. He turned to see none other than the kingdom’s beloved Princess Peach had just come to the house.

“Greetings, Princess!” Parakarry smiled at her. “How are you doing, today?”

“I’m alright,” Peach stated. “Actually, I’m more than alright. I’m going on vacation!”

“Oh, really?” Parakarry said, surprised. “May I ask where?”

“Oh, I was about to tell Mario that,” Peach answered. “In fact, I was about to ask him if he and Luigi wanted to come to where I’m going.”

“In that case, let me just get them for you.” With that, Parakarry turned towards the house one last time, and yelled, “Mail call!” With that he turned to Peach, and said, “Have a safe trip!”

As soon as he flew away, Peach turned back towards Mario’s house, where Luigi emerged, surprised. “Oh, hey Princess!” the younger brother gasped in shock. “What brings you here?”

“Oh, you’ll find out soon enough,” Peach answered with a giggle. Luigi just shrugged.

“Okay,” the green plumber nodded. “Well, you can head inside and say hi to Mario. I probably should get the mail.” While Peach did what Luigi advised, the younger brother turned towards the mailbox, and began rummaging through it. “Let’s see here… bill… bill… tourist brochure… bill… threat from Jr. Troopa to Mario that he’ll probably never follow up on… oh, what’s this?” He looked at the return address, and blinked in surprise. With that, he headed inside.

Inside the house, he saw Peach and Mario, the latter surprised to see the former had come all of this way. “What are you doing all of the way out here?” Mario asked the Princess.

“Oh, I can’t wait to tell you!” Peach smiled, barely able to contain her excitement. “Oh, you’re not going to believe this, but I’m going on vacation!”

Mario’s eyes widened in shock. “Really, Peach?”

“Oh, what’s wrong with me going on vacation, Mario?” the Princess asked, hands on her hips.

“Well,” Mario nervously answered. “Do you remember Isle Delfino? And Rogueport? And don’t get me started on the Beanbean Kingdom. Oh, and there was that one time we all went on vacation and Bowser got mad-”

“Mario, be serious!” Peach huffed. “This time, I’m not going alone with just Toadsworth… I’m actually here to invite you guys!”

“What?” Mario and Luigi both asked.

“Yeah,” Peach smiled. “It’ll be fun. Hardly anything bad is supposed to happen where we’re going.”

“Where are we supposed to go?” Luigi interrupted.

“Well,” Peach answered, “it’s actually a nice looking kingdom called-”

“Princess!” a worn-out voice wheezed. “You… left without us…” Soon enough, the elderly Toadsworth slowly walked in, exhausted. Luigi allowed him to sit down in his chair. He was followed shortly by none other than Yoshi, Toad, Toadette, and Princess Daisy of Sarasaland.

“We would’ve been here sooner if somebody who knew how to get through town and get didn’t get worn out so easily showed us the way,” Daisy joked. “Especially considering how often it seems to be renovated every time I’m here.”

“How rude, Princess…” Toadsworth groaned. Peach and Daisy just giggled.

“So,” Daisy asked Peach, “did you already spring the good news on the Brothers, yet?”

“You mean that Peach is going on vacation?” Luigi asked. “Yep. Why?”

“Well, guess who has two thumbs and is going with her?” Daisy smirked. “This girl!”

“Really?” Mario blinked. Looking at the others, he asked, “Are you all going, too?”

“Yep!” Yoshi nodded. “Already have our bags packed, on the airship, and everything! Ooh, I can’t wait to get on the airship!”

“In fact,” Toad added, “we’re just waiting on you guys.”

Mario and Luigi both raised their eyebrows, questioning on how eager everyone seemed. “We’re not going to get a chance to say, ‘No’, are we?” Mario asked, already knowing the answer.

“Of course not, Master Mario!” Toadsworth commented, having caught his breath. “In fact, I vehemently refused to let the Princess even consider leaving the Kingdom unless she convinced you to come with us. In case something happened, I’d rather you close than halfway around the world.”

“I knew it,” Mario sighed. “Well, I guess we could use a vacation, eh, Luigi?”

“I suppose, Bro,” the younger brother agreed, glad not to be staying at home and guarding it. “So, when are we going and how long for?”

“Well, we should be there for a few weeks,” Peach recalled. “It’s a pretty huge kingdom, and well, I’m going to be attempting to improve ties between there and here in the Mushroom Kingdom.”

“Sarasaland, too,” Daisy added. “But after all of the boring diplomatic stuff is done, we’re going to see practically the whole country!”

“Well, I’m glad we’ve all got this settled!” Toadette cheered. “Well, I’ll meet you at the airship, Mario!” With that, she and Toad headed out.

“Before we go, Bro,” Luigi stated, pulling out a letter, “I almost forgot that you have a letter from a friend of yours. Goombella, I believe.”

“Goombella?” Mario asked, surprised to hear that name popping up. Well, she was an archeologist, so she probably wanted to write about her adventures. Usually, though, she e-mailed him. Mario tore open the letter, his moustache curled into a curious frown.

Hey, Mario!

I’m sorry I had to resort to snail-mail for this! It’s totally hard to do so without… well, hands. However, my Mailbox 3DS here is getting fixed, so I’m annoyed that I have to do this the old-fashion way. With a quill, no less. Feathers tickle!

Anyways, I’m hoping this gets to you in the Mushroom Kingdom. I’m currently investigating strange places in a faraway land called “Equestria”, which recently opened to tourists from around the world, including our neck of the woods. Seriously, right now, there are Toads everywhere! If you ever drop by the place, you’ve just GOT to look me up! I’m working in a nice little town called “Ponyville”, which, as its name implies, has ponies. Lots and lots of ponies. Talking ponies, of course. Princess Peach would like it. I’m also working as a student teacher for elementary school ponies, teaching them about our Mushroom Kingdom's history. Don’t worry; they don’t know about the adventures we’ve had. Yet.

Well, I’ve gotta go. Miss Cheerilee (my boss) will need me to cover a lesson or two for her.

Sincerely,

Goombella

“Well,” Toadsworth commented, “it sounds like your old friend is doing quite well for herself.”

“Yeah,” Mario smiled, glad to hear from the Goomba.

“Well,” Peach concluded, “we’ll stop by and say ‘hi’ to her during our visit. Heading to Ponyville is an absolute must, now!” Mario and Luigi looked at Peach, surprised.

“What?” both plumbers asked.

“Oh, right,” Peach remembered. “I forgot to tell you where we were heading. It’s a little place known as Equestria, the land of ponies.” Both Mario and Luigi turned to each other, just as stunned.

---

Skies above Equestria

After Peach and Daisy hurried the brothers in packing and onto Peach’s personal pink airship, the group set out straight to Equestria. It was an overnight trip by air, so they had time to discuss Peach’s overstuffed itinerary. Clearly the Mushroom Princess was excited about the place, and not just because of the talking ponies.

So, while they were free to wonder about the first class cabin, Peach took the time to hand out maps of Equestria- something Mario found quite prepared for the rather impulsive Princess- to all on board. They were crowded around a giant map of the land.

“There’s so much to see and do!” Peach practically squealed. “I heard there’s an entire city made of clouds inhabited by Pegasi, Lakitus, and Lumas!” She pointed to a cloud city that looked particularly fluffy. Mario did not know how the ponies managed to construct that, but he had to admire their tenacity for making a town literally built on clouds. And Mario had been to Glitzville, a town that was floating over Rogueport and the rest of that region.

“Really?” Luigi asked. “Doesn’t a city of clouds seem a little impractical?”

“I’m sure they have ways of getting people to and from that city,” Toadsworth assured the younger of the Mario Brothers. “We’ll just not be able to visit it. Unless, of course, someone packed those strange Cloud Flowers.”

“I personally want to go to this place called ‘Sweet Apple Acres’ and another place called ‘Appleloosa’!” Yoshi voiced, pointing to two places on the map, one of which was close to this Ponyville Goombella mentioned. “All of the apples a Yoshi can eat on an apple farm!”

“Someone being forced to stay with Yoshi so he doesn’t eat somebody out of house and home aside,” Luigi commented, “that looks quite nice.” He then noticed a town with a giant statue. “Hey, Bro. Feel like going to this Manehattan place and climbing this ‘Mare of Liberty’ Tower? I bet with our jumping ability, we’d climb it in record time!”

“They actually have a contest for clearing the Mare of Liberty Tower?” Daisy asked with a smirk on her face. The athletic princess of Sarasaland commented, “I’d do that.”

“You all must calm yourselves,” Toadsworth chided the group. “We still have the business portion of our journey to deal with before we can play ‘tourist’. Why, even getting the slightest bit off track for fun and games is simply unprofessional.”

“Aw, Toadsworth,” Peach huffed, “quit being a fuddy duddy! I’m pretty sure there’s one thing in Equestria that you really want to do.”

“Poppycock!” Toadsworth scoffed. “Princess, it is my royal duty as your steward to make sure you and Princess Daisy are safe and sound at all times, in and out of the Mushroom Kingdom. Also, it is my duty to make sure that we stick to our primary goals at all times. This is a diplomatic affair before a vacation- oh, look!” The group looked at Toadsworth pointing towards a town called Los Pegasus. “In my brochure, that town is dedicated to stage shows and even producing movies! Many an actor live and work there! Perhaps we can see a show while we’re there!”

Daisy, Peach, and Toadette all just giggled at Toadsworth’s actions. Toad, meanwhile, was looking for a place he’d want to visit while he was there.

“I hear there’s a giant bell in a place called Fillydelphia that ponies love ringing,” Toad voiced. “Also, the town is famous for its sandwiches! I’d love to sink my teeth into one before leaving!”

Yoshi, upon hearing about tasty sandwiches, predictably began drooling. “Oooohh… Mario, you’ve gotta take me there one time! You just have to!”

“Wait, why do I have to take you?” the red plumber asked. “It seems simple enough for you to go on your own sometime while we’re in Fillydelphia.”

“Yeah, but you’re better with money than I am!” the dinosaur argued. “And you always seem to end up on globetrotting adventures whenever you go somewhere.”

“Yoshi, please do not jinx it,” Mario insisted. “I don’t want to go on a country wide trip to save the world when I should be on vacation. We all should.”

“Quite,” Toadsworth agreed.

“Well, Baltimare looks pretty cool,” Daisy commented. “Especially Horseshoe Bay. I can only imagine swimming in it.” Smirking at Luigi, she added, “And I know a certain green boy who’d like that.” Luigi nervously blushed while turning away from Daisy.

“I d-d-don’t know what you’re talking about…” Luigi stammered in embarrassment. Daisy only laughed while Toadette pointed to a city above Ponyville on a mountain.

“Canterlot sounds lovely!” the female Toad pointed out. “It’s literally in the center of the entire country!”

“And it’s the capital of Equestria, too,” Peach pointed out from her information gathering. “That’s where we’ll land, tomorrow. From there, we’ll head to the Mushroom Kingdom/Sarasaland Embassy in Canterlot Castle. That’s where we’ll be staying while Daisy and I meet with Princesses Celestia and Luna.”

“Celestia and Luna?” Toad asked. “Are they the rulers of Equestria?”

“Indeed, young Toad,” Toadsworth answered. “You see, everyone, one thing we all should know about Equestria before we cross into its borders is that there are three primary races of pony. The strong Earth Ponies who are the prominent race and are capable of nurturing the land, growing food, and helping the animals that live there, as well as build complex machinery with their impressive strength. Pegasus ponies, or Pegasi as the Princess called them earlier, are flight capable ponies who can manipulate the weather. And finally, Unicorn Ponies, who are rather intelligent and are such capable masters of magic that they would give Bowser’s elite Magikoopas a run for their money.”

“Toadsworth,” Mario requested, “let’s not speak of Bowser while we’re here, okay? I do not want to hear his name at all during this vacation.”

“Well, alright,” Toadsworth agreed. “But anyways, about the monarchs, here. Princesses Celestia and Luna are actually among a rare breed of pony, for they have the strength of an Earth Pony, the wings of a Pegasus and the horn and magical abilities of a Unicorn. They are simply called ‘Alicorns’, and are among the most powerful ponies in the world, said to control the transition between the Sun and the Moon.”

“Wow,” Luigi commented. “They sound awfully strong… if you-know-who came here, he’d have an awfully difficult time kidnapping them…”

“Oh, I can’t wait until tomorrow when we land!” Peach cheered. “This is so exciting, I don’t think I’ll be able to sleep!”

Mario at this point tuned out the rest of the conversation, turning his attention back to the map. Goombella, an old friend of his, was in Ponyville. That was really all he had to look forward to besides what everyone else wanted to do. Besides, he really had no idea what else was in Equestria. Perhaps Goombella would know and inform him. As Mario laid back in his chair for a nap, he just hoped that they landed in Equestria soon.

...Hours Later...

“Attention all passengers,” the pilot spoke over the radio, causing Mario to jolt awake from his nap. “We are directly overhead Canterlot and have been cleared to land.” Mario, curious about the announcement, looked out of the window, gasping in surprise.

From Mario’s view, the city made Peach’s Castle look miniscule. And Mario had enough personal experience to know Peach’s Castle was far from small. So, when he saw the mountainside castle town consisting of plenty of ivory towers with golden spires, stone-paved roads, a waterfall cascading by and through the city from the top of the mountain, Mario thought that the town looked beautiful.

“All passengers please sit down and buckle up,” the pilot instructed. “We will begin our descent shortly.”

---

Canterlot

The pilot had the airship land towards the city's outer gates, close to the river. Soon enough, a stairway folded out from under the airship door, almost as if it was made of paper. Peach eagerly led the group out, allowing Mario to finally have some breathing room.

“We’re finally here!” Luigi cheered, jumping up and down to get the feeling in his legs back. “Hey, Bro! We’ve been cramped in that balloon for such a long time, and we have a bit before we need to head over to the palace. Want to warm up with your moves while we wait?”

“Uh, no thanks, Luigi,” Mario declined. “I’m sure a little walk will get the blood flowing in my legs.” He remembered each of his basic skills from years of adventuring, and even brought his traditional wooden Hammer that a certain Grandpa Goomba gave him time ago… in the cargo hold of the airship. Even though Toadsworth berated him for bringing the weapon to a peaceful kingdom, Mario knew too well from experience that it paid to be prepared for even any emergency.

“Okay,” Luigi nodded. “Well, we should be getting ready to get our bags, then….”

“Excuse me!” a new, female voice spoke up from behind the brothers, surprising them. “Does anypony by chance go by the name ‘Princess Peach’?” Mario, Luigi, and the others turned around, curious to see who was speaking to them.

Sure enough, Mario saw that it was six ponies, all of whom Mario guessed by figure were female. Though he was surprised as to how… colorful the ponies of Equestria looked. For starters, a few members of the greeting party had coats and even manes and tails that did not seem normal even by the strange standards of the Mushroom Kingdom. Seriously, never in Mario’s life did he imagine seeing an orange pony. Or a light blue one with a rainbow for hair. Or pink. And was that fourth one yellow? Why was one purple? The white one would not have been so odd if she didn’t have a horn, signaling that she was a Unicorn, or her mane was not a dark violet… or featuring curls, for that matter.

Another strange thing about them were the obvious symbols on their flanks. Mario had no idea what the purpose those served, but figured it was too soon to question that.

“I do,” Peach spoke up, shaking Mario out of thought. She smiled, “Who are you all, by chance?”

“Oh, sorry,” the purple pony spoke up in the voice that greeted them before. Mario took this time to get a good look at her. She was a Unicorn, for starters. Her mane and tail were straight and they were a shade of dark blue, if he was right, with streaks of a pink and a darker shade of violet than her light purple coat running through it. Finally, Mario counted six stars on her flank: five six-pointed white stars surrounding a pink six-pointed one.

“I forgot to introduce myself,” the pony blushed. “I’m Twilight Sparkle, Princess Celestia’s personal student. My friends and I were asked by her to escort Princesses Peach and Daisy and their entourage to the castle.”

“And to throw a HUUUGGGEE ‘Welcome to Equestria’ Party!” the bright pink pony cheered, practically bouncing up and down high enough to give the Mario Bros., professional Jumpmen, a run for their money. “It’s going to be so amazing! I’ve never actually thrown a party for a Princess from the Mushroom Kingdom before! Do you guys normally wear Mushroom Caps over there, or are those just Toads? Maybe I should have brought Mushroom Caps for everypony! Are Toads part amphibian like regular toads, or something completely different? Did you guys happen to bring any raccoon leaves with you? I’d love to dress up as one and fly like Rainbow Dash does-”

All of the sudden, she paused in midair, floating in a light purple aura of magic. “Pinkie, settle down,” Twilight instructed, her horn glowing with the same purple aura. “We’ll get to the party back at the castle, okay? Right now, I’m sure the Princesses will want to relax a little bit before we get to the festivities.”

Mario, glad not to be following the hyperactive pink pony’s bouncing any further, looked at her as she was gently floated to the ground and the glow around Twilight’s horn dispersed, alongside the aura around the Earth pony. Besides Peach and Toadette, he had never seen so much pink on a sentient creature like this “Pinkie”. She lacked the horn that Twilight had, and there weren’t any wings, so he could easily guess she was an Earth Pony. Her mane and tail reminded the plumber of cotton candy with how puffy they were, only a darker shade. On her flank, Mario noticed she had three balloons, one of them yellow, and the other two blue.

Peach, meanwhile, giggled, smiling at the pink pony. “Aw, a party sounds nice! Princess Celestia didn’t have to go through the trouble, though….”

“Oh, she’s not!” Pinkie smiled. “I LOVE to throw parties. That’s what Pinkie Pie does well! And I’m Pinkie Pie, Party Planner Extraordinaire, at your service, Princess Peach!”

“Well,” Toadette commented, “you ponies certainly don’t waste time, do you? Awesome!”

“I don’t know how a leaf and dressing up as a raccoon is supposed to make somepony fly, though,” the light blue pony spoke up, curious about Pinkie’s comment while floating over her with flaps of the wings on her side. Mario looked at her, next. Again, the first thing he noticed was her species, being a Pegasus, in this case. Also, her mane and tail were literally rainbows. Her mark on her flank, a white cloud with a red, yellow, and normal blue striped lightning bolt hanging from it, further signaled the rainbow theme.

“Are you talking about the Tanooki Suit?” Luigi asked. “Well, the suit is pretty cool. My Bro and I have used those, before, in our adventures.”

“Really?” the light blue pony asked, landing in front of Luigi, causing the green plumber to back up in surprise. “So, tell me… how does dressing up as a raccoon help you fly?”

“There are a lot of weird things in the Mushroom Kingdom, Rainbow Dash,” Twilight interrupted the blue pony, giving Luigi the time to walk away to help Toad and Yoshi get the bags. “The Tanooki Suit comes from the Tanooki Leaves, and allows for hovering by the tail attached to it. Some things that have been imported here, recently. Like flowers that can spew fire.”

“I must say, Miss Sparkle,” Toadsworth complimented the violet pony, “you’re quite knowledgeable about things from the Mushroom Kingdom.”

“That’s our egghead, for ya,” the blue pony known as Rainbow smirked. “Twilight did a lot of reading on the Mushroom Kingdom so she could help with this visit you guys have with the Princess.”

“A dedicated student, I see,” Toadsworth commented.

“I didn’t know Princess Celestia even HAD a student,” Daisy remarked. “I have to admit, we’ve only been in this kingdom for only a few minutes, and already it’s pretty cool.”

“If’ ya’ll are thinkin’ that’s fancy enough,” the orange pony spoke up in a southern drawl, “wait ’til ya see the shindig Pinkie Pie set up at that the castle. Ah have a feelin’ ya’ll love it.” Mario looked at her. Like Pinkie, she was an Earth Pony. However, that’s where the similarities ended. This one seemed simple and down to earth, unlike Pinkie who looked excited and carefree. She also had three white freckles on either side of her cheek. Mario was surprised to see he and Luigi weren’t the only ones wearing hats, though, as the brown Stetson on her blonde head could give his own cap a run for its money. Speaking of her mane, it and her tail were both quite long, pulled back into (and Mario mentally pardoned the pun) ponytails by two read bands, one on each part of her hair. He noticed the three red delicious apples on her flank.

She spotted Mario looking at her, and blinked. “Uh, partner… ya’ll okay?”

Mario shook his head in surprise. “Sorry. I was admiring your hat.”

“Well, it was mah pa’s,” the orange pony remarked before adjusting her prized head-wear. “Ya’ll got a nice looking hat yerself. What’s the ‘M’ stand fer?”

“Mario,” the plumber answered. “That’s my name. My Bro Luigi wears one just like it, but in green.”

“Well, it’ll be easier to tell ya’ll apart, Mr. Mario!” Extending a hoof, she greeted, “Anyways, partner, Ah’m Applejack. Nice to meet ya.” Mario shook her hoof. “If ya’ll got time after this, maybe ya should come down to Ponyville. Look me an’ mah family up at Sweet Apple Acres.”

“Wait,” Peach asked, “You are from Ponyville?”

“Yep,” Rainbow nodded. “Why, have you heard of it?”

“Yeah, actually,” Daisy replied. “One of Mario’s old friends is currently working there."

"She's a Goomba, if you'll believe it," Mario added. "Blonde, sassy, really smart, wears a necktie and a hard hat for some reason."

“You all must be talking about Goombella,” Twilight concluded. “She sometimes comes over to the library to look up books on places from ancient Equestria.”

“Well, she certainly hasn’t changed in that regard,” Mario chuckled. “She always was good at looking up ancient places and things.” He then spotted the yellow pony, attempting to hide behind the others. “Uh… what’s her problem?”

Twilight and Rainbow turned around, seeing the cowering yellow pony. Like Rainbow, Mario noticed, she was a Pegasus, but her wings were tucked to her side. Her long mane that nearly hid her eyes was a bright pink, sort of resembling Peach’s dress. She also had three pink butterflies on her flank. Twilight and Rainbow shot understanding looks at the yellow pony.

“Oh, Fluttershy,” Twilight remarked with a gentle smile. “There’s nothing to worry about. I’m sure the Princesses’ entourage isn’t going to hurt anypony.”

“I know,” the yellow pony muttered in a tiny voice. “But… there are so many of them. You didn’t say there would be so many of them…” Twilight turned towards Mario’s group.

“I’m sorry about Fluttershy,” the purple unicorn apologized. “As you can see, Fluttershy’s quite… well, shy, around new ponies. In fact, when I first met her, she only started talking when she first met Spike.”

“Hey, Mario!” Yoshi spoke up as he walked over with a bunch of bags on his back. “Do you mind helping a Yoshi out and getting some of these?” Fluttershy peaked out from behind Twilight, and gasped in excitement.

“A Yoshi!” the mare cheered in excitement, rushing past Mario so fast that his whole body spun before falling flat on the ground while Yoshi jumped back in surprise, dropping his bags on a poor Luigi who was coming around with more bags.

“Paaaaaiiiiinnn…” Luigi moaned in agony.

“You all have a Yoshi with you? Oh, I’ve never seen a real-life Yoshi before!”

“You mean you guys have not had any Yoshis immigrate over here, yet?” Yoshi questioned, forgetting what he was doing.

“Oh, not at all!” the yellow Pegasus answered. “Your kind is incredibly rare, even outside of Equestria! You have to tell me everything about Yoshis!” She then shyly added, “That is… if you want to.”

“Luigi,” Mario asked while walking to the buried green plumber, “are you okay?”

“I’ve been better…” Luigi answered from under the bags. Fluttershy realized what happened, and gasped.

“Oh, I’m so sorry,” she told Luigi. She then flew over, and began helping Mario, Yoshi, and Daisy clear up the bags. “I didn’t mean to accidentally bury you, Mr. Luigi.”

“It’s alright,” Luigi assured her, dusting himself off. “My Bro and I have been through physically worse.” Looking at the bags, he said, “Well, we better get these things… again.”

“Allow me,” Twilight voiced, walking over. Her horn began to glow again, and all of the bags were surrounded by a purple aura, levitating in the air above her. “I’ll take these bags off of your hooves… er, hands.” Turning to the white Unicorn, Twilight asked, “Rarity, didn’t Spike say he’d be over here?”

“As a matter of fact,” the other Unicorn answered, “he did. Where is Spikey-wikey?” Mario took this time to notice her marking… three blue crystals. What this symbolized, he did not know. The other ponies besides Twilight’s symbols seemed to identify a particular talent or something, but this one… Rarity, did not make hers perfectly clear.

“Oh, right,” Rainbow nervously chuckled. “Spike asked me to tell you guys that Shining Armor wanted to talk to him about something, and he’ll be delayed for a bit. He’s probably on his way, now.”

“Why didn’t you tell me that?” Twilight scowled. “Rainbow, the party’s going to start, soon. We have to get back to the castle now!”

“Hey, Mario!” Toad spoke up. The loyal Mushroom Retainer came out with a bunch of bags in his arms, covering his face. “There’s only one thing left in the cargo hold. Your Hammer. Thought you’d might want to grab that. I would have gotten it, but… I don’t have you or Luigi’s jumping abilities when I’m carrying a ton of bags.”

“No problem, Toad,” Mario nodded. “I’ll grab it and be out, quick.”

“Actually,” Twilight blushed, “we’ve kind of have to get going. I have a tight schedule planned for everything, today.”

“Twilight, if I may make a suggestion,” Rarity interjected, “perhaps when Spike gets here, we could ask him to show Mr. Mario to the castle?”

“Alright, fine,” Twilight nodded. “I’ll point Spike over here, Mr. Mario. He’ll be able to guide you to Canterlot Castle no problem.”

“Okay,” Mario agreed, mentally chuckling at the name. He’s dealt with a “Spike” before, only in the form of a Lakitu. He doubted it was the same one, as that Lakitu stopped going by the nickname after their adventure at his girlfriend’s insistence. “So, what does he look like?”

“You’ll know when you see him,” Twilight assured before turning around. “Alright, we better head to the Castle. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna are eager to meet you all.”

As the group minus Mario began walking, Rarity spoke to Peach, “You must tell me who designs your dresses, Princess. You too, Princess Daisy. Whoever designed those is a genius.”

"Thanks," Daisy smirked, looking at the dress. "Well, to be honest, Peach here has to normally drag me to get non-sports related clothing...."

Mario shook his head before turning around, and heading towards the cargo hold of the airship. Upon entering the craft, Mario noticed all of the wooden and metal crates that were in the hold. And, on top of a set of crates that formed a simple stair case was a wooden Hammer.

Mario, true enough, navigated his way to the cargo hold, scaled the hold’s crate staircase with ease, reaching the Hammer in no time. Putting that away, Mario turned around, and jumped back down the staircase, though not before noticing all of the Item Blocks in the hold left untouched, some floating, some on the ground. He was pretty sure Princess Peach would not mind if he cleared the blocks as well.

After doing so, Mario now was several coins richer and even had a Mushroom for later. With that, the plumber had pretty much combed the cargo hold for anything he could carry, and headed out.

After leaving the hold, Mario looked around the airship for someone out of the ordinary, remembering Twilight’s vague hint. However, all he saw were ponies, who looked curious about the mustachioed human.

“Hey,” a young male voice spoke up. “Are you Mario?”

The plumber turned around, and was surprised at what he saw. It was smaller than the ones he’s dealt with before- compared to the castle-hall sized behemoths he encountered before, this one barely stood up to his chin- but there was no doubt about what he was. The purple body with the light green underbelly, all scales. His “ears”, if one was willing to call them that, were another shade of light green. The fringes from his head to his pointed tail were a similar green that reminded Mario of Yoshi’s scales, but that’s where the similarities ended.

Mario could not believe it, but he was staring at a Dragon.

“Uh… yes?” the plumber asked, confused at the sight.

“Nice to meet ya,” the dragon greeted. “I’m Spike.”

‘Well,’ Mario thought to himself, ‘Twilight Sparkle wasn’t kidding when she said I’d know him when I saw him.’

Author's Note:

Okay, so you've all probably noticed a few things while reading this. So, I may as well address those right now. In the author's notes, I will be addressing hopefully the following:

1) Cameos/Debuts. Here, I'll point out characters you may have spotted or named. For example, Parakarry! ...Everybody loves Parakarry from Paper Mario 1, right? Yes? No? Don't know who he is? If you don't, say something in the comments, below. Anyways, before you all ask about Goombella, for those who liked/disliked her in The Thousand-Year Door, you'll see what I do with her, later. Oh, and Jr. Troopa? Well, he's had three games now to try to take revenge for his defeats by Mario's hands in the original game (for just going into his playground without permission to recover a lost Hammer, no less), and STILL hasn't acted on it (most likely due to the designers of the game wanting to incorporate newer foes into Mario's Rogues' Gallery than any other reasons). Hence, why in the Paper Mario universe we haven't seen him come back as a major character. Finally, we have the Paper Mario debut of Princess Daisy! Seriously, we need more Princesses doing stuff. Daisy will actually do something in the story... that does not involve getting kidnapped.

2) Location. Here, I hope to describe why I chose a specific spot or location for the story. Such as Canterlot. Well, I've seen the Mario & Luigi story on this site, (which is a good story, if I may reccommend). Unfortunately, I'm not really good at fully developing brand new locations on an established map (I'm actually working off of the official Map of Equestria), so, I needed a place that people would be able to recognize from the show that I don't really have to describe. Also, Canterlot is the second-most used location in the series, so it should easily be famillar for everyone... unless you deliberately skip the episodes/segments involving Canterlot. But, don't worry, ladies and gentlemen. We're not staying here for too long.

3) Why something is happening. Okay, I'll try to justify why an action is happening. Probably the most obvious is Mario speaking? Simple explanation? In-universe, Mario can talk just like anybody in this universe. Gamewise, though, Mario would still be his silent protagonist self and others will interpret what Mario is saying by Mario doing a simple jesture. I'm not about to make you guys sit through all of that, okay?

Oh, and I'm really hoping I'm getting the characterizations of both sides alright. If you're wondering why I'm describing the Mane Six (and Spike), it's because the story's mainly from Mario's view. Strictly that reason alone. This story is meant to be an outside viewpoint who knows almost nothing about the land and its inhabitants (save for the immigrants and/or tourists from the Mushroom Kingdom).

Finally, why did I stop with Mario and Spike (a.k.a. our heroes) meeting up for the first time? Well, so we have more stuff to talk about next chapter! ...Poor excuse, isn't it.

On that note, I hope you all enjoy the story! Actual action will happen next chapter! Merry Christmas!