• Published 5th Jul 2015
  • 338 Views, 0 Comments

Broken Strings - FireworkFuse



Octavia was always a successful musician in Canterlot until the arrival of Vinyl Scratch destroyed her career.

  • ...
 0
 338

Welcome to Ponyville

The gentle clicking and clacking of the train haunted Octavia as she drew closer to her new life. Six months ago the cellist was on top of the world, playing in grand concert halls, social events and even for royalty. But nothing lasts forever and with time comes change. Modern music was on the rise and ponies like Octavia soon became old news. While there were some ponies who held true to the classics it wasn't nearly enough to compete with the music industry's newest star, Vinyl Scratch. Vinyl Scratch was a nobody pony from a two bit town and had started her career in her garage, Octavia couldn't imagine having to hone her craft in such deplorable conditions, let alone be bested by somepony with such little class. She pictured her room as a filly in Canterlot, a large, plush room filled with plenty of luxurious comforts and a top of the line cello. Now she was on her way to a life of scrounging for bits trying to pick up the pieces of her broken career. Hours went by before the train finally came to a stop at Ponyville station. Octavia picked up her cello and reluctantly stepped off the train and into the town. She slowly trudged through the town avoiding eye contact with the ponies who were cheerfully going about their business. After a few minutes of walking, Octavia reached the edge of the small town to find a run down building that matched the address of her new home. She decided to go inside to see just how bad her situation was. “It can’t look any worse on the inside than it does on the outside.”


Octavia looked around her new apartment. It was a barren two room flat. Each room containing four grey walls with a single window that faced the street below. "Welcome to Ponyville..." Sighed the mare as she placed her cello case by the door. She walked over to the window and began to think about how she wound up in this two bit town. She was a Canterlot pony, sophisticated and well bred, she didn't belong here, yet here she was. Alone and broke, no friends, no family. Just herself and her cello. Octavia could only imagine how disappointed her mother was in her. She could picture the disapproving glare that haunted her childhood resting on her mother’s rigid face.


Octavia was born into an upper class Canterlot life. As she grew up she received nothing but the best, from education to cello lessons no expense was spared on her. Yet with her privilege came outrageous expectations. Octavia’s mother constantly pushed the young mare to perfection yet not matter how hard she tried Octavia could never quite reach her mother’s expectations. First chair in high school orchestra, a full ride scholarship to Canterlot University, graduation at the top of her class and even joining the Canterlot Orchestra were not enough for Octavia’s mother. Octavia had achieved any musician’s dream and yet there her mother was always there to crush her happiness. She couldn’t even imagine what her mother’s reaction would be to her recent career failure and sudden relocation. Octavia decided it would be best to just shut her eyes and try to forget about her troubles, even if it was only for a minute.


Evening came and the sound of a lonely cello sang out from somewhere in Ponyville. The grey mare was playing her latest solo for mere minutes when suddenly she was disturbed by her one of her new neighbors "CUT THAT RACKET OUT!" The stallion yelled from next door. The cello screeched to a halt.

"What in the name of Celestia is wrong with these ponies?!" She cried out to an empty room. "Ponies everywhere used to love the fine arts! Now it's all 'wub wub wub'!" Octavia huffed as she angrily mocked the ever growing electronic music industry. "Those wretched 'turn-tables' ran me right out of Canterlot!" Tears of mixed emotion began to stream down her face. She stormed out of her apartment to try and escape her new fate when she was reminded of of a long lost friend, Carrot Top. It had been months since she had last spoke to Carrot. She sadly recalled their last phone call as she stared at Carrot Top's empty carrot cart.

"Hey Carrot.. I was just calling to see if you were coming to my show tonight, I saved you a seat... Again." Octavia sighed knowing what answer was coming. Ever since Carrot Top moved to Ponyville the two had seen each other less and less until Octavia couldn’t even remember the last time she had seen her friend.

"Awe gee Tavi you know I want to but I've got to run the cart today and-" Carrot stopping, suddenly cut off by the cellist. "It's fine.. I know you're too busy for me.." Octavia hung up before Carrot could soften the blow.

More tears streamed down the pony's face as she thought of her friend. Octavia returned to her apartment in all her rage and dismay only to realize her luck had run out yet again. She would have no bed to sleep in tonight, nothing to keep her warm, no furniture or even a pillow. Just the cold, uninviting floor. She curled up by the window and softly sobbed as sleep took hold of her.


Octavia awoke the next morning to the sound of ponies bustling about on their way to work. She groaned as the sunlight streamed through the window. "Dear Celestia, that was the most awful night of sleep..." She said peeling herself off the floor. "If I am to stay in this... this ragged establishment, I'll need some money. Now then, that shouldn't be a challenge for a sophisticated mare like me in this backwards town." Octavia did her best to adjust her bow tie and fix her hair to make herself appear somewhat decent. Without even a mirror to look at she was unaware of her ragged looking state. After a few minuets of primping Octavia decided she looked as good as she could in her current situation and left the house in her disheveled state. Octavia made her way to City Hall she was greeted by an elderly mare who had an air authority around her. Octavia assumed this was the Mayor.

"Good morning Ms...." The Mayor trailed off trying to place the new mare.

"Octavia. I'm new here from Canterlot. I'm sure you've heard of me." The cellist tried looked as proper as possible while she straightened her bow tie.

"I'm sorry dear, I can't say I have." The Mayor tried to get passed the awkward moment. "You say you're from Canterlot, yes? Well do you by any chance know Vinyl Scratch?" The Mayor smiled as she thought she was changing the subject.

"Y-yes I've met her before..." Octavia grumbled.

"Isn't she the best? You know she grew up right here in Ponyville!" Asked the elderly pony with excitement.

"Oh yes, the best indeed..." Octavia said with slight sarcasm and venom.

"But that's not why you're here Ms. Octavia, now is it? So what brings a 'famous mare' like you to Ponyville?"

Octavia sighed and tried to keep her composure. "I... I need a job..." The words tasted like vinegar coming out of her mouth but they still needed to be said all the same.

"A job? I don't understand, I thought you were a famous mare in Canterlot."

Octavia was slowly losing whatever sophistication she had left. "I am! I mean I was... But I basically got run out of town by... by Vinyl Scratch..." More terrible tasting words.

The Mayor realized what she had said and frowned. "Well I am sorry about that dear. I'm just sure we can find you a job!" She said with a forced smile. "Come inside and we can start searching."


It didn't take long for The Mayor to realize it was going to be a challenge to find a fitting job for Octavia. Being an upper echelon pony and a musician Octavia had never worked with her hooves before or worked at all for that matter but The Mayor thought she had just the job for her. Rarity's Fashion Boutique. Rarity had been looking for an assistant for a while but everypony she would hire would end up quitting within weeks. Not many ponies could deal with her Canterlot, high maintenance attitude but Octavia might be able to. Octavia liked the idea and said that a sophisticated pony like Rarity might make a good boss. Or so she thought.


"Well if you're going to work for Rarity, I suggest you go meet her and apply for the job." The Mayor said with a smile.

"Indeed... Where does this.. Rarity live?" The grey mare inquired.

"Why, at the Boutique of course!" Exclaimed The Mayor. "Most ponies here live and work in the same place." She explained, "It saves time and money."

"Well can you direct me towards 'The Boutique'? I still haven't really figured out my way around here yet..." Octavia said frustrated.

"Why of course!" Chirped The Mayor. "Rarity's Boutique is just down the road from here. Big colorful building. You can't miss it!" Octavia thanked the Mayor for all of her help and began to walk down to road. She spotted the boutique from far away, noticing the flashy exterior of various fabrics and ribbons. As she approached the entrance she could hear the sounds of sewing machines and a pony rambling to herself.


"This needs a half inch more here, take off an inch or two there and-" Rarity suddenly stopped when she realized some pony had entered the boutique. "Hello! Welcome to Rar- Oh my! You're... You're.. Oc- Oct..." Rarity's stammering was cut off by the grey mare.

"Octavia. Yes. Finally some pony who's actually heard of me." Octavia began to smile. Her hopes of meeting a refined pony in this backwater town had paid off.

"Of course I've heard of you! You're music is absolutely stunning!" Rarity was gushing at this point and small wells of tears began to form in Octavia's eyes.

"T-Thank you.. I really needed that right about now." Octavia was overjoyed to hear that there were still ponies out there who knew who she was.

“It is such an honor to meet you! How can I be of assistance? Do you need a dress made? Or perhaps something hemmed? Or-”

Again Rarity was cut off by Octavia. “Well actually I was hoping I could be off assistance to you… I’m looking for a job.” Octavia couldn’t help but lower her head in shame as she waited for Rarity’s reply.

"I-I... Well honestly I'm not quite sure what to say... What would a high class Canterlot pony such as yourself need a job in Ponyville for?" Rarity couldn't hide her look of disbelief.


Octavia explained her current situation to Rarity the best she could. From her steady decline in the music industry to moving into her tiny two room apartment, everything came as a surprise to the white unicorn and by the time Octavia finished explaining Rarity was left speechless. "Now that I've explained my situation, is the position for your assistant available?" Octavia lowered her head in shame, never in all her life had she fallen so low. Rarity wrapped Octavia up in her embrace, catching Octavia off guard.

"Pardon me for being so forward darling, but of course the job is yours! I would be honored to have the great Octavia work in my boutique." Octavia tried not to squirm as Rarity kept her locked in a tight hug. As much as she disliked ponies touching her, she needed the job more. Octavia managed a quiet thank you as Rarity finally released her. Octavia may have not shown her excitement outwardly but deep down she was happier than she had been in a long time. It was the first time things had gone her way in a while. Now with a way to support herself, Octavia could actually start to try and pick up the pieces of her life.

Author's Note:

Hey everyone! I haven't written anything on here in years but decided to give it another shot. Let me know what you guys think, I'm just here to test the waters again. If you guys want more let me know, if not I'll take it down. Thanks for reading!

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment