• Published 11th Nov 2012
  • 13,186 Views, 613 Comments

Spike's Teacher - Richer19



A Spyro/MLP crossover where Spike learns how to be a dragon under the teachings of the famed hero.

  • ...
37
 613
 13,186

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 18: First Day of Training

Chapter 18: First Day of Training

"The style you use is reformed...precise...and focus." Spyro states as he paces around the arena; his eyes still focused on the dragon in front of him. "It's a technique when dealing with a single strong opponent or several groups of smaller enemies."

"However" Cynder interjects "It is not without flaws. For starters you are not getting the kind of raw power that most dragons are capable of. The style is more of a finesse skill that weaker dragons practice to keep up with the rest of their peers. Also you will find that there are those who are capable of countering your style and put you in a difficult situation."

Spike nods in understanding. It would make sense that a style would carry a few flaws with it. After all no technique is perfect. However where he would have thought that he was going to train and master his fighting style; he was surprised when Spyro said "However for our first lesson we will focus on your elemental power and your fire breath."

"My fire breath?" Spike asked not really thinking about the changes his body would have had to him fire until that point. Sure his body did grow and there were no doubt other changes as well but would that have affected his fire.

Spike didn't get much chance to ponder as a wooden dummy suddenly appeared in front of him. Looking like some kind of small ape, it stares at the dragon with hollow green glowing eyes that honestly sent a small shiver down his body. Spyro motions towards the dummy and says "Go ahead Spike and let us see the strength of your fire."

Spike nods before focusing on the unmoving dummy. Taking a deep breath, he stroked the fire that was inside of his body and found that it was easier then when he was young. Once the magical energy collected into his mouth, he exhale and released it.

The result was instant and promising. Everypony, especially those that knew Spike personally, let out a surprised gasp as a large column of fire erupted from his mouth. The orange flame with a green hue engulfs the dummy and burns it down to the core. When Spike closed his mouth, the fire stopped and all that was left of the dummy was a pile of ash.

The pony spectators let out an audible sound of surprise to say the least and Spyro gave his student a pleased expression before saying "Not bad. You are able to produce and maintain a strong flame. Now I will show you some basic ways on how to manipulate that flame. In time, you will be able to know and master a variety of skills that will serve you well."

"Alright so where do we start?" Spike asked with an eager expression on his face that spoke as to how much he was looking forward to the next lesson. It would seem that him being able to breathe fire had given him a nice boast in his confidence.

Cynder shook her head before saying "Easy there. You haven't learned about the fire scale yet." She looks over at Spyro who gives her a nod of approval. Clearing her throat she says "Now fire, like all elements, works on a kind of scale with one side being power and the other being control. Now a standard fire breath is about ninety percent power with ten percent control."

"Really? I would have thought that it would be all power and no control." Spike interjects. While it was a valid question, the look he got from Cynder made him starts to come to the conclusion that it wouldn't be wise to interrupt her again.

Cynder clears her throat before saying "To answer your question, every living thing has a kind of innate sense of control so as to prevent things from being too destructive. That ten percent is the amount that of control that a dragon will have at all times. Only on vary rare occasions would one be able to suppress even that amount down though the results are generally...cataclysmic." There was a moment of pause before she continued "Now in order to develop more control over your fire; you will need to be able to learn how to master it in its raw form and to do that will require more training then what we will cover today."

Spike had a sense that the day was about over and that sense was only confirmed when he felt the ground rumble. Looking around, the four alters were sinking back into the ground while their fire was extinguished. As the training area returned to the ground; Spyro said "Tomorrow we will begin with your training with how to control your fire. Also expect that in the coming days you will begin training on flight as well so make sure you are aware of that."

The arena was finally cleared and the ponies started to realize that whatever was going on was over. Making their way out of the stands, Spyro takes a final look at his student before saying "As for the rest of the day...well it is yours to spend it as you see fit. May the Ancestors guide you from here on out young dragon."

The two dragon made their way towards an exit before Spike says "Wait Spyro...what or who are the 'Ancestors'?"

Spyro turns to face him and says in a rather plain and simple tone "They are said to be the ten dragons who shaped the world. We have already told you about the Ancestor of Fire but there are seven others for each of the Elements that exist in our world."

Spike was about to accept that before a thought entered his mind and he says "But wait...that only makes eight. What about the last two?"

Perhaps the first time since the training started; Spike noticed that Spyro and Cynder appeared hesitant about answering his question. Sure they haven't been out right with information but this time it seemed like they were actively trying to decided wither or not to tell him. Eventually Spyro says "When you are older and wiser; we will tell you about the identity of those two. Just know that out of the ten, those two are considered the strongest, fastest, and wisest out of all the Ancestors."

With that being said, the two dragons made their way to the exit only to find that Celestia and Luna were waiting for them. Looking back, they noticed that the Elements were all around Spike; no doubt admiring his new body or giving him words of encouragement. "I sense that this is the start of a new chapter for him." Celestia comments as she watches the scene in front of them.

The two dragons say nothing so as to not disturb this moment of a teacher watching their student growing. Luna, seeming to pick up on what her sister was saying adds "Let us all hope that it is one that will be full of growth."

The afternoon breeze begins to blow and Cynder felt that it was a sigh of good things to come. Spyro was also feeling the same way as Celestia though his mind was still somewhat nervous about the whole idea of teaching. Still as long as Cynder was with him; he felt like there was nothing they couldn't do.

Author's Note:

There are just no words to describe how sorry I am that this is soooooooooooooooooooooooo late. I hope that you all don't hate for making you wait.

PreviousChapters Next