• Published 11th Nov 2012
  • 13,175 Views, 613 Comments

Spike's Teacher - Richer19



A Spyro/MLP crossover where Spike learns how to be a dragon under the teachings of the famed hero.

  • ...
37
 613
 13,175

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 31: Stalliongrad

With the train running in a northern direction and the city of Canterlot slowly fading in the background, Spike once again found himself wishing that his friends were with him if nothing else but moral support. Sure he had been left behind when they went on dangerous missions but with the situation now in reverse he pondered if they felt the same things he was feeling.

“Come on Spike you need to focus.” Spyro called out snapping the drake out of his musings as he looked at the ball of fire that was forming in front of his hands. Well...ball was a loose term as to the young dragon it was more like the kind of shapeless form that came from the first time Twilight tried to make dinner. Once again he was glad his stomach was as strong as it was.

Across from the ‘ball’ of fire was Spyro holding a perfectly round ball of crimson flame in his paw roughly the size of a hoofball. He was teaching the young drake about how to better manipulate his fire especially during times when a lot of actions were happening around him like the fact that he was standing in the middle of the aisle on a moving train.

Letting out a mild grunt, he brought his mind back and focused on the ball in front of him as Spyro said “Remember you are working with the flame not fighting it. Imagine you are guiding the flame to the form you want.”

Spike didn’t nod his head, his eyes and focus on the shifting changing mass of green embers in between his hands. He focused on the shape, imaging it over and over in his mind’s eye and willing it to be reality. He watched as the green mass began to consolidate as an accomplished feeling began swelling up…

“HAY WE ARE ALMOST AT STALLONGRAD” Spark shouted in a voice that was louder then one would expect from a dragonfly.

“Gah” Spike reacted, his mind distracted and with as grunt the mass of fire in his hands exploded outwards setting almost the entire cabin area ablaze. Green flame dancing against the winter background mocking it in a way that only the force of nature could.

Spyro let out a sigh before releasing his own fire though his merely disappeared back into nothingness. He then took a deep breath before letting out a stream of water to douse the flames before the conductor or any other ponies realized what was happening. When the fire was out, he looked back at Spike and said “You need to learn to keep your focus young dragon.”

“Well how was I supposed to focus when a small insect yells like a dragon’s roar.”

“Would you rather learn how to do this in a situation where your very life was at stake?” Spyro replied and once again Spike had to remind himself that the dragon in front of him was one who lived through a war. He know doubt had plenty of scars and memories of times when he couldn’t take on the task in front of him and Spike could see that hidden bit of regret in those purple eyes. Spyro continued “We are going to an unknown area with the possibility of facing a threat almost just as strong as the Royal Sisters. You must be ready for anything.”

“Yes Master.” Spike replied feeling a sense of formality was in order and the gesture worked by the faintest hint of a smile on the other dragon’s face.

The two dragons then felt the train slowing down to a halt. Looking outside they saw a town that appeared to be made of stone and had no greenery in sight. They continued to look out as Cynder approached them saying “Dreadful place isn’t it. Much different than Ponyvile or Canterlot.”

“This is a hard place to live in.” Spyro remarked before pulling away from the window along with Spike as Shining Armor and Cadence arrived in the train car already bundled up in winter gear.

“They have already begun loading the supply cars. Captain Reznov is waiting for us outside.” Shining remarked trying to sound professional but coming off as a recently married husband which was fitting and caused a small giggle to escape his wife’s lips.

Nodding the three dragons and dragonfly exited the car after the two ponies where they were already hit with a rush of winter air. Spike could feel the cold trying to get through his tough scales but the fire within him managed to keep him warm.

In front of them stood a stallion about Shining’s size though more gruff and unkempt. Yet it wasn’t due to filth as he smelled quite clean. His brown eyes spoke of a pony who has seen his fair share of conflict yet there was a fire that still burned inside of them almost like a dragon or a wolf. He also wore a hat that looked to keep his head warm made of some kind of wool.

“Ah Good afternoon gosti. Welcome to Stalliongrad.” The stallion spoke with a voice that could command respect.

“Afternoon Captain.” Shining replied giving the stallion who Spike and the other dragons concluded was Reznov “What is the situation here?”

“Ah you know the usual. Not enough warm blankets, warm food and.” He paused for a moment to let out a chuckle “teplyye kobyly but what else is new right.” Both the stallions had a chuckle before Reznov continued “I am glad to see our government is kind enough to send us some much needed supplies but I didn’t expect you two to be here. I am sure there are a lot of better spots for two newly weds then here.”

“We came because of reports of strange activity going on in the Frozen North.” Cadence replied sounding a bit stiff then her more natural voice. Spike wondered if she was trying to act like royalty at this moment and given the look Shining gave that seem likely.

Reznov nodded “Da. Our scouts have reported some strange activities going on just north east from our position.” He started walking leading the group along passing by several stallions and mares who were all worn from the cold but looked ready for a fight. Most were unloading the supply train while a few were gathered close to a fire to keep warm and those gave a salute as the group passed by. As they continued to walk. “The reported were vague for the most part. Strange noises, unusual lights, shifts in the ground. Even fewer reported what looked to be the remains of a city.”

“A city?” Spike asked.

“Yeah though as I said the reports are vague. All of them agree that in the center of this ‘city’ was a large spire of some kind though I haven’t seen it for myself.”

“Why not Captain?” Shining asked his interest slightly peaked.

“Orders from my senior. Told me to keep all of our forces at base and await further orders.” Reznov shook “ bespoleznaya zadnitsa if he actually cared he would come out here himself rather than staying at his vacation home.” The group eventually reached the edge of the town and the Captain pointed towards the direction of north east “Go that way about half a mile or so and you will reach the location where our scouts reported seeing that city. Good hunting Da and enjoy your stay here in Stalliongrad.”

The Captain turned around and walked back towards the center of town no doubt to oversee the supplies and distribution. As Shining and Cadence looked out in the distance; Spike looked back at the two dragons who were staring at the back of Reznov. Curious since they were quite silent during the trip he inquired “Something on your mind?”

Spyro and Cynder looked back and the former replied “I don’t know...I just get the weirdest feeling like I heard his voice before.”

“Who Reznov?”

“Yeah” Cynder replied. “It was like he was both similar and yet different at the same time but I just can’t put my claw on it.”

PreviousChapters Next