• Published 3rd Jan 2012
  • 12,151 Views, 196 Comments

Stray Ardor - thewaffler

  • ...
24
 196
 12,151

Chapter 3

Scootaloo woke up and was already in a good mood and had a smile on her face. She stretched out as she thought to herself. 'Maybe Spike will walk me to school today.' She hopped out of her bed and went to her mirror to brush her mane. She finished brushing her mane and increased her pace, eager to see Spike today, and found him and Twilight waiting at the breakfast table.

Twilight was reading a book and Spike was setting out breakfast like he did every morning.

Spike had sat down and began eating and Scootaloo took a seat beside him.

"Morning Spike!" She said cheerfully.

"Morfming Shcoots." He said through a mouthful of food.

Twilight closed her book and got up from her chair. "Wow, I knew you two would be great friends." She levitated her book above her and started heading for the library. "I have to go order new quills, bye and have a good day at school Scootaloo."

As soon as Twilight left, Scootaloo leaned over and gave Spike a quick kiss on the cheek that he was not ready for.

Spike dropped his fork and a short puff of smoke shot out of his nostrils along with his face turning a deep red.

She giggled at the drake. "Want to walk me to school today Spike?"

"Ehablah..." He shook his head. "Yeah, I would love to." He said as he scratched the back of his head.

The two quickly ate and left the library and they walked calmly through Ponyville. They walked side-by-side through the streets.

They reached the front door to the school. "Bye Spike, can't wait till I see you later."

"Enjoy School, Scoots, and yeah same here."

Scootaloo entered the school and Spike began to walk back to the library.


Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon saw Scootaloo walk into the school and then saw Spike walk off.

"Is she really dating a dragon?" Diamond Tiara asked.

"Yeah, his name is Spike." Silver Spoon said as they began to walk to the school themselves.

"You know him?"

"Duh, he’s the only guy in town that's not dumb or boring."

"Really?" She took a moment to think. “Then what’s he doing with that blank flank?" Diamond Tiara asked in disgust.

Silver Spoon shrugged.

She looked at the drake as he vanished from view. "I bet he would be a lot happier with me....let’s talk more about it at lunch."

The two fillies entered the school and class began.


Cherilee was teaching the class history on Equestria and most of the colts and fillies had their heads on their desks, either listening or had fallen asleep.

Scootaloo was doing neither; she was looking off outside of the window thinking about Spike. She looked forward to spending her first day as his fillyfriend but she was also stumped about what she would actually do. 'What do fillies and colts in this case drakes, do together? Just hang out?'

"Scootaloo?"

She snapped her head up. "Yes Ms. Cherilee?"

"What year was Celestia and Luna made the princesses of Equestria?"

"Um....42?"

The whole classed erupted in laughter.

She could only awkwardly smile and saw Cherilee's disappointed face.

"Class settle down, you should pay more attention, Scootaloo." She turned around and started poking at a map with her pointing stick, continuing the lesson.

She decided to at least keep her eyes up front, but she couldn't help but daydream about her drake.

School had felt like it only lasted a few minutes for Scootaloo, but Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle were complaining as they exited the school.

Apple Bloom's head was drooped low as she walked. "Ah never thought class would last so long...."

Sweetie Belle was rubbing her eye as she exited the school and gave out a quick yawn. "Who knew desks could make a good pillow?"

Scootaloo almost hit her head on the door as she exited after Sweetie Belle.

Luckily Apple Bloom grabbed the door inches before it hit her.

"Scoots, are ya alright?"

"Huh?" She snapped out of her trance. "Oh yeah, I'm good."

Sweetie Belle yawned as she sat down and her head began to nod off. She snapped her head up and her eyes flashed open. "You don't look too good."

Scootaloo scrunched up her muzzle to resist a laugh and spoke after her chuckle was snuffed out. "You can't even stay awake."

"I just need to get moving around, that’s all. Want to go to my sister’s house?"

"Na, I already have plans, sorry."

"What kinda plans ya got, Scoots?" Apple Bloom asked inquisitively.

"You know... just some stuff." She said as she rubbed the back of her head.

"Well alright, we'll see ya later."

Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle began to walk off into Ponyville and Scootaloo began to walk to the library, still thinking about her drakefriend.

Scootaloo had quickened her pace and had quickly arrived at the library. She opened the front door and saw Twilight with a pile of books in the library, deep in study. She exited through the door to the right of the entrance that led to the normal portion of the tree that was the house. She decided to freshen up a little before she hangs out with Spike; she quickly went to her room to give her mane a quick brush.

She finished and left her room and trotted up the stairs. She slowly opened up Spike's door.

"Spike?"

"Come on in."

Scootaloo walked into his room and he was searching through some papers. "What are you looking for Spike?"

He shuffled through a stack of papers. "Just looking for a copy of something that I had."

"And that would be?"

"It was a music sheet, it's one of my favorites and my copy is faded and I can't remember all of the notes. I've been looking for a spare sheet but I don't have one." He set down the papers into a box at his feet and closed it. "Mind going to the music store with me?"

Scootaloo smiled, of course she wouldn't mind. "No problem."

They both exited the library and began to walk through the streets of Ponyville.

Scootaloo never knew that Ponyville had a music shop, but she didn't play an instrument so she didn't question Spike.

They reached the music shop and even before opening the door they could hear music blasting from inside. They opened the door and flinched at the volume, an electric blue maned unicorn was banging her head to the music as she turned the knobs in front of her, she was in complete focus.

The unicorn picked up a mic and yelled. "Bangarang!"

Spike tried to catch her attention with his hand. He tried to yell over the music. "Hello?!"

The unicorn ignored him, she had headphones over her ears and her eyes were staring down at the knobs and sliders on the turn table.

"Vinyl!"

The unicorn looked up and to her right she saw an earth pony glaring at her. "Yes Tavi?"

"Turn that noisy wreck off! We have customers!"

Vinyl didn't turn down the music. "This isn't a noisy wreck! It's art!"

"Those mindless beeps and wubs are not art!"

"At least let me finish this song!" She continued to reply over the high volume.

Octavia began to sway, the music was too loud but she mouthed the words while putting a hoof on her forehead. "It's making my head hurt...."

Vinyl began to turn the music down to half volume, which was still rather loud.

You could hear Octavia talk now. "I have a huge headache... I think I'm going to-" Octavia collapsed on the ground.

"Tavi?!" Vinyl smacked her hoof on the turn table and it shut off and she ran to Octavia. "Tavi!" She began to lightly shake her shoulder.

Octavia didn't respond.

Vinyl put her head down lower over Octavia's. "Tavi..?"

Octavia woke up from her acting and reached up to kiss Vinyl.

Vinyl was too surprised at first, but then closed her eyes and felt gravity force her to the ground next to Octavia and they continued their kiss. Each second becoming more frantic and Vinyl began to run her hooves through Octavia's mane.

Spike and Scootaloo looked away in slight awkward confusion.

Octavia opened her eyes and saw the drake and the filly still in the store and she broke the kiss. "Ahem. Vinyl we still have customers."

"Oh...right." She gave a slight embarrassed chuckle and got up from the ground.

Vinyl helped Octavia get up and they were both blushing, not making eye contact with the two others in the shop.

Octavia retreated to the back of the store and Vinyl returned to the front counter. "Eh... sorry about that. Need anything?"

Spike lightly coughed into his claws from the earlier awkwardness. "Yeah, I need a sheet of piano music, Great Balls of Fire by Pony Lee Lewis."

"Eh? Well, you might want to ask Tavi for that, she’s the classical nut."

"Alright." Spike turned to walk towards the back of the store where Octavia was organizing instruments, leaving Scootaloo to talk with Vinyl.

"Hello?"

Octavia jumped. "Oh hello, I hope you can forgive mine and my partners...manners... anyway, can I help you?"

"I'm looking for a sheet of music for, Great Balls of Fire by Pony Lee Lewis."

"You play piano?"

"Yes and it’s one of my favorite pieces."

"I also like that piece: very upbeat and catchy. One moment, please."

Octavia went into a back room and came back with the sheet of music. "Free of charge."

"Are you sure?" Spike said, unsure, as he took the paper.

She blushed. "Yes, it's the least I can do; I shouldn't scare customers like that."

"Thanks." Spike said with a smile.


Scootaloo put her hooves up on the counter. "That was an awesome song you played, did you make that?"

Vinyl was putting the records back into their cases. "No, but I do make a few myself."

"Oh, well it was still cool..." Scootaloo began to draw an invisible circle with her hoof. "So, uh... yeah."

Vinyl raised her eye brow. "What?"

"I was uh... just wondering. How did that happen?"

"What?"

"That thing that just happened a few minutes ago."

"Huh? Oh! That... yeah... stuff like that just happens." vinyl shuffled her hooves a little bit.

"How?" Scootaloo said with a slight squeak of embarrassment at the question.

"How? Well... Why do you wanna know?"

"Just curious..."

Vinyl looked at the filly, and then turned her head to where the young dragon had gone to the back of the store. She smiled as she realized why she wanted to know. "Well, you see if you just be yourself, it can lead to some really cool and fun things." She said as she closed her eyes, thinking of her marefriend.

"Fun?"

"You know whe-.... never mind that, just be yourself, okay kid?"

Scootaloo thought to herself 'Just be yourself...'

Spike had appeared beside her. "All set to go home?"

She lightly nodded and they both exited the store.

Spike looked back at the store as they began to walk away; a hoof had appeared in the window and flipped the sign from open to closed. 'Weird... usually that store doesn't close till lat-… oh.' He thought.

They both walked back to the library and the sun was already roosting itself on the horizon.

They entered the library and saw Twilight nowhere in sight.

"So uh... Scoots, I was wondering if you wanted to hear some music?"

"On your piano?"

"Yeah, I wanted to play this piece for you earlier."


Twilight was downstairs in the laboratory. "Okay... concentrate...” She began to channel the energy in her horn. She began to struggle as the energy began to waver. 'Oh no...' She tried to extinguish the energy but it had bulked itself up and she had two choices, release the magic and risk something bad happening, or try to continue to extinguish the spell again and risk it blowing up. She didn't like the sound of the second option and aimed her horn down at the ground and unleash the small torrent of energy. The energy seeped into the ground and Twilight waited for a response. "Hmm... Maybe nothing happened?"

The energy crawled up from the ground and traveled through the walls of the library.


Scootaloo had never heard Spike play piano before, and the image of him playing as she sat next to him made her smile. "That sounds awesome Spike; I’d love to hear you play."

Spike lead her into the living room and he went up to an object against the wall that was covered with a light black cloth. He pulled it off and revealed his piano, a sleek black Yamahay standard. He took a seat and gestured for Scootaloo to join him.

She eagerly took her seat, waiting for Spike to play.

He lifted up the piano case and the faint smell of maple stung at their noses, the ivory keys shone as the light from the room hit them. He placed the sheet of music in front of himself and took a deep breath as he flexed his claws out, taking their positions over the keys.

He began to play with a smile on his face as the song immediately began fast and his claws danced on the correct notes, not missing one. The upbeat rhythm of early rock n roll began to emanate from the instrument. The notes were taking a funny cartoonish sound to them as the tempo increased, making Scoots smile too.

Spike played and they were both enjoying the music, finding themselves grinning at the sound of the song.


All throughout Ponyville the Piano's music began to echo and rebound off of the buildings, invading everyone’s hearing.

Two mares were sitting on the bench in the park, watching the sun set.

"Hey, I know this song, hey Bonnie listen."

"Wow, this sounds great, Lyra."

Lyra stood up and extended her hoof. "Want to dance?"

"Dance?"

Lyra pulled Bon Bon up and they began to dance with each other, in the frantic pace of the music.

Lyra began to lightly sing along with the music as she danced with Bon bon. "You shake my nerves and you rattle my brain..."

Other couples around Ponyville had also begun to dance to the music.


At Sugar Cube Corner, Pinkie was beginning to pack away extras from today’s unsold bakery goods. She walked to the counter to see her new husband happily doing his own work.

Music started to drift through the air and their ears perked up to listen.

"Carrot, does this song sound familiar?"

He took a moment to listen. "I'm not much of a music listener but I think its Balls of Fire by Pony lee Lewis."

"It sounds nice." She smiled at her husband and gave him a quick kiss over the counter. "This music makes closing up Sugar Cube Corner fun."

Carrot held out his hoof. "How about a quick dance?"

Pinkie smiled and took his hoof and they began to dance happily to the music.
(if you read My Pink Savior by WinterTwister, this is somewhat related to that.)


Vinyl and Octavia were in a forceful embrace, both pushing against each other as their lips were locked into a passion filled kiss.

The piano music began to fill their ears and they stopped.

"Hey, this is that music that young drake came to get earlier." Octavia said as she raised her ears in the air to hear the music better.

"Really? It's not bad." Vinyl gave Octavia a devious smile. "Kinda gets you in that fast paced mood, doesn't it?"

Octavia returned with a smirk and they continued their actions.


Spike finished the song effortlessly, he loved that song and it made him feel happy and always made him want to dance. He turned to Scootaloo. "Did you like it?"

Scootaloo had a bright smile. "That was awesome, Spike!"

A knock came from the door and Spike and Scootaloo got up to go answer it. "Pinkie?"

"Howdy, Spikey and Scoots! I came to invite you over to a party to welcome the new stallion in town named Joe Bean." She said as she handed them invitations.

"Joe Bean.. Pony Joe Bean?"

"Ooh! Do you know him?"

"Yeah, back in Canterlot Pony Joe and Twilight were good friends."

"So that means the party should be a lot more fun then! Bye, see you two tomorrow!" Pinkie hopped off to go deliver more invitations.

Spike closed the door. "Sounds like fun."

"Yeah."

A few moments passed and neither of them said, or did anything and the awkward feeling began to creep up on them.

"So uh...What do you want to do now Scoots?" Spike said through an awkward smile.

"Whatever you want to do, I'm up for anything."

"We can go watch some movies?"

"That sounds nice." The two went upstairs and entered Spike's room.

They began to watch movies like they did normally.

The whole time Scootaloo was nervous about what to do that could be different and she almost began to panic when she couldn't think of anything.

'Just be yourself.'

Vinyl's advice rang in her ears and she began to relax, she looked at Spike who also had a nervous look on his face but was focused on the movie. His eyes darted around several parts of the screen, he was more nervous that she was.

She let reflex take over and she leaned over and kissed Spike on the cheek.

Spike was almost to the point of shaking, but then he felt her lips touch his cheek and his mind went blank and his mouth gaped open and soot started to flow out in small clouds from his nostrils.

Using his other claw he scratched the back of his head. "Eh...uh.. " He cleared his throat. "I don't know how you keep doing that." He said with a nervous smile, thinking about his reactions to Scootaloo's kisses.

"What? This?" She leaned in again to kiss his cheek a second time.

Another quick cloud of soot puffed out of his nose and his face had become beet red and he was lost for words.

They had both relaxed and continued to watch the movie together, Scootaloo had her head on Spike's shoulder and Spike had his head lightly on top of hers. Hand in hoof, they both enjoyed the rest of the movie together and when it was over Spike got up to stretch.

He yawned. "Man, its late."

Scootaloo stood up on his bed and stretched. "Yeah, I think it’s time to go to bed." She hopped off of his bed. "Night, Spike."

"Night Scoots."

Scootaloo left his room and trotted down the stairs to see Twilight expecting the house. "Twilight?"

"You're still up? It's pretty late."

Scootaloo yawned. "I was on my way to bed, what are you doing?"

"Oh me? I'm just checking some things... did you see anything weird happen?"

"No, why?"

"Oh... no reason, just wondering." Twilight was observing the ceiling as Scootaloo left to go to her room.

She hopped in her bed and quickly fell asleep; she had everything she could ever want: a great home and an even greater drake.