• Published 19th Oct 2012
  • 11,360 Views, 586 Comments

Good luck sir. It's been an honour. - Jessofages



The story on what would have happened if sergeant Forge hadn't perished.

  • ...
78
 586
 11,360

Accumulated events.

"Now the gate has been unlatched, headstones pushed aside; corpses shift and offer room, a fate you must abide!" - The Gravemind.



"Surely it didn't." Luna assured herself, talking more to herself than her sister who stood in a whirlwind of thoughts opposite her.
"Surely it couldn't have." She continued to rant, her tone sounding slightly more desperate as she spoke.
"Did it not listen to what they had to say? What they told us?!" She half asked, half demanded at her sister, who had finally returned her gaze to her stressed sister.

"He did." Celestia replied simply, her manner of voice both simple and absolute.
"Before either of them could get a word out he had... disposed of one of them." She stated as she gazed over to the now freshly cleared and sanitised areas where the pair of aliens had fallen.
"And with a matter of words, the remaining visitor and the human had broken out into an all out argument. Ending with the... end of the second of our visitors." She explained, remembering the violent argument the two had engaged in. And how the resulting brawl had concluded with the deaths of her seemingly friendly visitors, a fact she was still having trouble grasping, and the addition of a new patient at the Canterlot hospital.

"But why ?" Luna asked, her expression much more distressed than her sisters, who on the outside seemed to be taking the last few hour's events rather well.
"Why did the human not listen ? Why did it not hold his temper ? Why did it have to go as far as to murder our visitors ?" She asked in rapid succession, her body language becoming somewhat erratic and her tone gradually becoming more demanding as she questioned her sister.
"You heard what they said as well as I did. And if they are right, what is to happen ?" She added, her tone grave.

"Why." Celestia responded, stating the word rather that asking it as she contemplated on how to best answer the question.
As she remembered everything that had transpired, she recalled everything the two had said. About their war, about their species and about other things she didn't entirely grasp the meaning of.
After several moments of considering the question with an absent-minded expression across her features, Celestia finally turned to her sister and gave her response.
"It would appear, dear sister. That things are not entirely what we though they were. If what the visitors said was true and Forge is oblivious as to what their purpose here was. Then I fear that our situation may become very dire in a very short time." She said, her tone unwavering and free of the distressed tone that her sister's possessed.

"But what if what they said does happen ?" Luna responded.
"What if what they described happens ? Then what sister ?" She asked, her tone making it blatantly clear that she was unhappy with the way Celestia had handled the situation.

"Then all we can do is wait." Celestia responded as she turned her gaze from her agrivated sister and out across Canterlot through one of the throne rooms many stain-glass windows.
"And we must hope that Forge doesn't create any more chaos then he already has in his short time here." She added, her multi-coloured mane billowing in the non-existent breeze.
"That is all we can do." She repeated to herself quietly, a small sense of dread beginning to emerge within her thoughts as she began to wonder what may actually happen in the near future if what the aliens had said was indeed true...

"When and if he survives the extent of his injuries, I will allow him to return to Ponyville with my student." Celestia finally said as she kept her gaze on the scenery before her.
"He will remain there until we can fully grasp the severity of the issue." She explained.

'We cannot simply just wait." Luna insisted as she ruffled her wings slightly from frustration.
"We have to rid ourselves of it !" She urge, almost yelling at her sister. "It does not belong here. It must go." She finished as she stamped her left foreleg, her frustration becoming more and more prominent by the minute.

"Sister." Celestia began with a small sigh. "I know that you were fond of our visitors, but wishing ill of our new guest will not lighten the situation." She said, her tone light and calm as it had been the entire time as she fixed her gaze upon her scowling sister.
'You know as well as I do that we cannot simply just remove him from Equestria. We will need him if things do turn for the worst." She explained, almost lecturing her younger sibling.
"Let us just hope that the visitors were wrong." She added grimly as the sun reached its midpoint, casting its full brilliance across Canterlot, bathing the city in a glorious golden glow.


Twilight Sparkle sat within the hospital room of the alien she had only just met, which had been stripped of the armour and strange devices it had been wearing previously. It was now garbed in a plain hospital gown, which had been fashioned from an old bed sheet considering the creature's size.
Its lifeless form was lain against an ordinary hospital bed. The creature's size making the bed seem several sizes too small for its massive bulk.
She had opted to stay behind and keep an eye on the creature, even though her friends had protested profusely. She figured that this would be the best opportunity she would get to observe the creature alone and maybe even converse with it further if it regained consciousness.

Sighing softly she took to the task of gazing at the wall adjacent her as she roamed through her thoughts and recollections on what had transpired in the past few hours. Or at least what she had been told had happened, considering she had passed out when the creature had broken her magic.
Being alone within the relatively small and bland room made it easy for her to lose herself within her mind, the only annoyances being the repetitive 'beep' of the various medical equipment in the room that monitored the creature and the raspy, drawn-out breathing of said creature.

The doctors had explained to her that it had suffered around half a dozen shattered ribs which had also caused one of its lungs to under-go a small, non-permanent puncture which would take some time to heal, some minor internal bleeding and mild bruising of the neck tissue. Most of these had been treated with magic to the best of the doctor's abilities, however, the creature's lung and ribs would take additional time to heal, as magic can only do so much.

Doing her best to tune out the creature's continued, laboured breathing and the occasional hoarse cough. Twilight focused her attention on the bare white wall before her and recalled everything that had happened since the creature had arrived, attempting to form some sort of idea as to what was going to happen now and what the Princess would want her to do with her find...

She hadn't gotten very in-depth with her swirling thoughts when she was drawn from her state by the sound of groans and the slight rustling of bed sheets coming from the creature.
Turning her gaze towards the creature with a puzzled expression, she watched as it began to start fidgeting and mumbling things to itself that she couldn't quite understand.
The more she listened, the more she was able to pick up. It sounded as though the creature was talking to somepony. And whatever was happening within the giant's head, Twilight could tell that it wasn't a pleasant experience.


Forge couldn't form a logical explanation for what he was experiencing.
He once again found himself in a 'floating' sensation, similar to the aftermath of the core detonation.
However, this time, instead of just swirling nothingness before him, he was surrounded by what he figured to be his memories.
Each played itself before him, as though they were each displaying their wares to an eager crowd.
It was hard to tell where one memory ended and the next began, they were mingling together so tightly that Forge found it difficult to discern one from the next.

There was one he was able to pick out from the rest however.
It was a memory that Forge wished he hadn't have to live through. The memory in particular depicted the time when he had assisted in the reclaim and eventual detonation of the UNSC cruiser, the 'Prophecy'.
This was a point in Forge's life that he wished he could forget. But the more he tried to focus on everything else around him, the more the memory seemed to press in. As though it were eager to show Forge what it contained.

Finally giving in to the pressure of the memory, Forge found that all the others dimmed around him as the one displaying the 'Prophecy' drew him in.

Forge watched with a blank expression as the memory played. He knew what was going to happen, and so he braced himself for what he knew would eventually occur.

It all happened as he knew it would.
The failed attempt at boarding the 'Prophecy' via pelican, followed by the hasty, forced insertion into the ship's interior after the pelican had been shot down with team 'Lima' amidst the chaos that was raining around him.
The brief skirmish within the ship's corridors with the Jackal rangers, which ended with Forge re-living the broken ankle that he had suffered during the fight, the searing pain being refreshed in his mind as he watched his past-self suffer the injury.

"Bloody Jackals." Forge thought to himself as he remembered the aftermath of the pain from the injury coupled with his hate for the pirate species and everything they had done alongside the Covenant.

Then came what he had hoped he wouldn't have to remember. The rescue of the survivors and his argument with the 'Prophecy's' AI 'FitzGibbon' regarding his level of access to the ship's co-ordinate data.
He watched as his former self and the remainder of team 'Lima' secured the crew and wiped the ships black box, as per the 'Cole Protocol' before eventually triggering the ship's self-destruct sequence and making a hasty exit with the surviving crew of the 'Prophecy.'

The something strange happened. The memory blurred and apparently 'fast-forwarded' through the rest of the evac from the 'Prophecy' and promptly dumped Forge in a place he knew all too well.
He was within the 'Spirit of Fire's' med-bay, surrounded by the slowly dying crew of the 'Prophecy' who lay in countless cots that lined the walls of the cold, metal room.

It seemed as though the memory only wanted Forge to re-live only the parts that had caused him the most pain.

He was standing before the bed of one of the crew. One who Forge had known had and had quite the friendship with.
"You're gonna be alright." Forge watched himself say as his doppelganger grasped the cold, unmoving hand of his near-dead friend.

He couldn't help be feel extremely saddened as he watched the scene play out before him once more... He wished he didn't have to watch it again.

As the past Forge began to near the verge of tears, which was a feat near impossible for one such as himself who had seen more than his fair share of death. Forge watched as a nearby pedestal began to flicker, producing the pale blue, transparent figure of the AI 'Serina'. Who had seemingly gone through the entire process of observing the survivors unchanged. This was blatantly obvious due to the AI's usual blank expression and tone that sounded as though she was indifferent to everything going on around her.

"You do know that's not true right ?" The AI asked in an seemingly uncaring tone as she folded her hands behind her back.
"That is statistically impossible." The AI added, its tone unwavering even though the expression on the soldier's face before him was obviously both upset and angered. "There will be no survivors. The amount of radiation present within their systems is simply too large." She stated, as though she was trying to inform rather than comfort the soldier.

"The hell is wrong with you ?" Forge responded, his sadness banished. Only to be replaced by a feeling of anger and distaste towards the AI.
"These were good men." He began, gesturing around the room of dead and dying marines.
"They had families and friends." He continued. "And all you can do is shrug it off and count them as another statistic ?" He asked with his temper rising as her jammed a finger towards the AI.
"Even if they are at the end of the road, they still deserve better than this." He finished, attempting to restrain his frustration as he turned his back to the AI.

"Well, technically I didn't shrug." Was all the AI responded with in her usual, uncaring tone. Which, unsurprisingly, was met with the Sergeant simply stalking from the room, muttering inaudible curses as he went.

Forge was watching his angered self march out of the med-bay when a sharp, indescribable pin shot through his upper torso.
"Argh !" He yelled as he groped for the site of the sudden pain, causing the multiple memories to promptly disappear in a sudden flash.
As the pain began to grow, Forge found his surroundings being plunged into total blackness for several moments before a bright white light appeared before him.
Squinting, he held a hand to both his eyes and his exceedingly painful abdomen as the light receded slightly ad his new surroundings slowly emerged from the brightness...


Twilight watched on with an expression of both interest and concern as the creature continued to fidget and mumble in its unconscious state.
Now standing by its bedside, she listened as closely as she could in an attempt to hear what the creature was mumbling about.

After several minutes of activity, the creature ceased its movements and remained still once more.
Twilight then went over everything she had heard.
She had heard something about a 'prophecy'. This baffled her as she tried to think of what sort of prophecy the creature may be referring to.
She had also heard something about a 'jackal', whatever in Tartarus that was. Something about a 'box' and mention of somepony named 'Serina.' Whoever that may be.

As she began to ponder what on Earth the creature might have been rambling about, she was abruptly cut off as the creature suddenly burst into motion once more. This time with its eyes wide open as it propelled itself into a sitting position.

Startled, she jumped back several feet as the creature yelled and grabbed its side that contained the newly mended ribs.
As the creature flailed and attempted to fling itself from the bed, Twilight acted on the first though she had and cast yet another restraining spell on the creature, encasing it within a shimmer purple aura.

"Stop !" She demanded, even though there was little the creature could do about its position in its current state.
"Stop." She repeated, this time in a calmer manner as the creature continued to frantically observe its surroundings whilst still clutching its side within her aura.

"Where the hell am I ?" Forge asked, his words coming in short rasps and much harsher than he had anticipated as he found it difficult to breath and as pain continued to shoot up his side. His eyes darting around the room as he took in his sudden change of environment and the occupant of the room, who he quickly realised was the same purple pony who had first found him when he awoke in this foreign land.
'What the hell happened ?" He asked again, not bothering to wait for an answer as he noticed that he was now garbed in a sheet and free of his armour and weapons.

Surprised that the creature had been able to summon this much energy after just re-awakening, Twilight took a deep breath and lessened her hold on the figure, who had seemed to have ceased its fidgeting for now.
"You're in Canterlot hospital." Twilight began to explain. "From what I've been told, you... killed the other aliens and passed out." She continued as she gradually lessened her magical grip. "We brought you here and had you healed the best we could. But apparently, we didn't do a well enough job." She pointed out as she finally released the human, which prompted it to re-adjust its grip on its side as well as raising a hand and rubbing its neck several times before it responded.

"Hmm" Was all Forge replied as the pain in his side began to slowly reduce, his neck throbbing as though it had been twisted into an ungodly position .
He couldn't help but feel a small sense of relief in knowing that two more of those bastards had been wiped from the face of the universe, never to be seen again.
"Where's my stuff ?" He asked bluntly after several moments of silence from both himself and the purple pony. Who now wore an expression that looked as though she were eager to talk to him, but didn't currently possess the will-power to do so.

"In...in the other room." Twilight responded with a raised eyebrow as she gestured towards the door of the room with an extended foreleg.
"Why ?" She asked, he features displaying utter confusion.
"Surely he's in no fit shape to move." She thought to herself as she watched the creature begin to further prop itself up with one of its elbows and swing one of its long, fur covered legs over the side of the bed.

"Why ?" Forge repeated as he grunted and strained to swing both of his legs over the edge of the bed.
"Because I'm not staying in this hole." He replied sternly as he gave one final grunt and propelled himself into a standing position with all the energy he could muster.
Unsurprisingly, he found his balance to be slightly off and his legs shook slightly as they took his weight once again.
Bracing himself against the bed for several moments, he winced as pain shot through his side once more and his entire body in general ached.
Taking several deep breaths he readied himself for a second before releasing the bed and making the best attempt possible at striding towards the door of the room, as difficult as it was.

"Wait, what ?" Twilight asked as the creature began walking towards the door.
"You shouldn't be doing that !" She pointed out frantically. "The doctors said you shouldn't be awake yet. Let alone walking around the place !" She exclaimed to the human, who had now clumsily reached the door.

Completely ignoring the ponies protest, Forge placed a hand on the cold metal of the doors handle.
"You comin' or not purple ?" He asked without looking back before opening the door and striding out into the hallway before him, earning cautioned and surprised looks from the several ponies who stood beyond. Some ran while others just stood there with petrified looks on their faces as the giant slowly made its way through the small opening.

Seeing no other option and not willing to just let her find walk out the door, Twilight hastily followed in the giant's footsteps. She didn't dare try and stop it again as she feared that her magic may once again prove insufficient to halt the gargantuan as it had seemed to have recovered at an alarming rate.
"What is the Princess going to say ?" She asked herself, worried as to what the Princess may think of her just letting the injured alien walk around the hospital in the state it was in.
"Oh, I hope she knows what she's going to do with this guy." She though, hopeful that the Princess may have devised some feasible method for returning this creature to where it came from.


"D'ya think it was a good idea leaving Twi alone with that thing ?" Applejack asked with a hint of worry as she trotted alongside her rainbow maned friend.

"Course' " Rainbow replied as she trudged through the soft grass that lined the garden. "It's not as though that thing will be getting up any-time soon." She said, her tone bitter as she remembered the rough treatment she had received for the alien, leaving her unconscious and with a large lump on her forehead that still throbbed slightly.

The two had opted for taking a walk through the Canterlot gardens in an attempt to talk about what had happened within the past couple of hours.
Their other friends had declined due to various reasons.
Rarity had decreed that she wished nothing more to do with such a barbaric creature and had decided on returning to Ponyville. But that plan was cut short as she was soon pulled into Canterlot's extensive market, offering wares and materials that she couldn't possibly pass up.
Fluttershy was simply to afraid to be anywhere near the alien after its rather violent outburst. Which had more-or-less been started by her.
Instead she had sought refuge within the castle, where she would be near the Princesses and would have to worry about the alien storming in to find her for questioning its undeniable hatred towards the other two.
Pinkie Pie had wanted to go with Twilight and give the creature a proper 'welcome' once it came around. After constant protest from her friends, she eventually gave up and simply decided to keep Fluttershy company until something could be decided.

"What d'ya thinks gonna' happen to that thing anyway ?" Applejack asked, genuinely curious as to what was going to happen to the new-found visitor.

"I don't care what happens to it." Rainbow replied, her tone still as sour as ever. "I just hope they get rid of it." she added, honestly hoping that the creature would find its way either sent home or banished.
"Come on." She said after a few moments. "Let's go see what Twilight's up to. She's probably bored out of her wits." She offered as she changed direction and headed for the hospital without waiting for a response from the cow-pony. Even though she could think of a million better things to do than go and see the alien, she figured that it would be better to keep Twilight company than wander the gardens in a round-about conversation with Applejack regarding the creature and its motives.
"I really hope they get rid of it." She thought to herself as she continued to trudge towards the hospital, with her orange friend in tow.


Some twenty feet underground, completely unbeknownst to the ponies above, a small spherical object was hovering alone along a darkened passage-way, humming a merry tune to itself as it went.
It was roughly a foot in diameter with three concave sides, leaving a large, luminous yellow 'eye' located on the 'front' of the sphere, branded with a symbol with a meaning that was lost to most long ago.
The body of the sphere appeared to be made of some-sort of metallic metal, which reflected the yellow glow and cast it throughout the darkened area, revealing the simplistic, yet extravagant design of the walls around it.
The walls looked as though there were decorated with lines that formed a vein-like network that progressed seemingly at random throughout the entire structure.
The entire place seemed eerie, as nothing could be seen that wasn't bathed in the sphere's yellow light. Couple that with the fact that there was a constant, light droning sound echoing throughout the catacomb of tunnels gave the entire area a rather sinister feel.

As it floated down the corridor, it halted a what appeared to be a monitor fixed directly into the wall.
'Reading' the information, the sphere spoke to itself in a slightly high-pitched, male sounding voice.
"All systems nominal. All specimens accounted for. Facility power, seventy-eight percent." It listed off to no-one in particular, as it always did, before turning and resuming its way down the corridor, picking up its tune where it had left off.

"Everything is as it should be." The sphere informed itself in a matter-of-fact tone as it gradually disappeared down the dark corridor, its bright, yellow glow degrading into the darkness that encased the narrow tunnel...