• Published 18th Oct 2012
  • 1,073 Views, 37 Comments

Twilight's Canterlot: RotE Episode 6 - Dream Volt



Twilight takes her friends on a tour of Canterlot. Then something drastic happens.

  • ...
2
 37
 1,073

Mountain Quarter

Dash's reaction to the art museum was closer to what I expected of her, though she didn't actually complain, just said it wouldn't take her long to be done and she could use a nap. We did indeed find her napping on a couch at the entrance as we were leaving, so it at least seemed to be true. She flew ahead of us early on, even though she wasn't moving any faster than us, just that she stopped at each painting or sculpture so briefly. Applejack looked a little bored at first, but then Rarity started talking about each painting. Clearly she remembered far more about art history than I did, and some things I never knew.

Rarity seemed to take the most joy in salacious little historic rumors that have never been confirmed, but also shared various other details suggesting a great love of art of all types, and not just dresses. Dash said she even enjoyed her solitary pass though the museum, as well as her nap. It would have been nicer if she's stayed with us, but I guess having her not speed though one museum is enough of an accomplishment by itself.

"So where are we going now?" asked Dash

"It's right up ahead. There are a few more museums we could visit in the solar district, but I'm thinking there is only one more museum we will be seeing today. Though the space museum in the moon quarter is interesting too."

"Oh come on, you do have other things planned besides…" Dash suddenly got a huge smile on her face. "Omigosh, the Wonderbolt Museuem is here, isn't it? I totally forgot the main one was on the ground so everypony could visit."

I nodded. "Yes, but that's in the wind quarter. First, is the mountain quarter."

Then every pony really looked where we were walking again. I marched forward confidently. The archway was dark, it was a tourism thing I think, but just enough you couldn't see too clearly what lay beyond, but still see the ground in front of you. Then I heard the ooos and ahhhs behind me as we emerged from the short section of darkness. It was a mess of walkways, giant support pillars, and lit storefronts. It was beautiful. The limited lights on the ceiling turned the cavern into a sort of permanent night time. The moon quarter was my favorite at night, but during the day, the mountain quarter was much more comforting.

"Oh my, this is really lovely. To think I missed this my first trip here."

"Ah gotta say Twi, ah get a bit annoyed having to deal with them city ponies, but ah've always loved this part of the city."

I smiled "Oh, I guess you would come here, wouldn’t you. You see every grocery store in Canterlot is in this cavern. In fact at one time that was all that was in here beyond the tunnels that connected the other districts."

"Now why is that?" asked Rarity

"Well this cave is just great for keeping things cool." Said AJ "Canterlot don't take too many ah my apples for some fool reason though, and the ponies that do the negotiating all got such attitudes. Worse is it almost seems like they're all working together."

I stopped, and turned to Applejack. "You don't know? They very likely are. Canterlot has a very strong grocers union. Luna is tying to fix it somehow, insure they can fight for their own interests, but not keep causing over inflated food prices."

Applejack stomped a hoof, cracking the stone beneath it. She looked down. "Oh dang it, I guess I still ain't get it all under control"

"That's not really possible. Magic is influenced by emotion." I added "In fact I'm beginning to believe limiting that to just pegasai magic is foolish, though there is a strong focus there, and earth might…"

Dash groaned. "Ugh, no more, please."

"Sorry Twilight, but I must agree." Rarity smiled slightly. "Maybe later."

"Yea, ferget all that magic stuff fer a bit. Now what about this here union?"

Rarity sighed. "Yes, the Canterlot unions are very strong because the nobles have meddled with them a great deal. Those involving fashion are not so bad in terms of pricing, but are very exclusive in who they do business with."

"This sounds like something ah oughta do something about mahself. Like maybe…"

I shook my head. "I think you should trust Luna to fix it. She said Celestia has been so busy she's missed a few little things like this. Personally I never even noticed until I moved to Ponyville and the food was so much cheaper."

"Well, ah guess you're right, though ah'm a might curious to how much they're marking up mah apples now."

"I don't think that's a good idea." I said

Dash laughed. "As cool as it might be to see you kick the flank of a bunch of ponies, I bet she's right. Though I don't get why they would only buy a few."

"I'm not sure either. Maybe to keep the prices up as a commodity? I've never seen any apples as labeled as from Sweet Apple Acres, but I have tasted some as good before. I assume they were from your farm."

"Okay, ah won't go do nothing yet, but this ain't over."

I tried to laugh a bit, but I didn't manage to make it sound very genuine. "Well, okay, just, talk to Luna first at least. Despite what I just said though I wasn't planing to show you anything involving food."

"So no farm museum?"

"Oh there is one, but it's not remotely good. It's not part of the Smithsongian museums at all. Even the Wonderbolt museum which is privately owned by a former member and isn't affiliated with the foundation has their stamp of approval."

"Is that really importan' Twi?"

I nodded. "It's not especially hard. The whole museum is mostly a way to make one pony's family look good, but I can't even remember whose."

"Ah'm sure it don't matter none. So what did ya be wanting to show us."

I smiled broadly. "Oh, there's so much to show you. I mean there are a ton of the most amazing shops in here."

"You mean most amazing bookstores, don't you?" said Dash

"I was never so far gone that…" I then paused and blushed. "Okay, so almost all the stores I regularly frequented were bookstores."

"I knew it."

"But there were some others. An electronics store, a computer shop, and a supply shop are just three examples."

Dash laughed. "Oh mare, it just never ends." Then she frowned. "Ugh, this is going to be mega boring, and that isn't funny."

"I did pass a variety of other shops Dash. I think we can find a few interesting places. Though I'm sorry Rarity but all the fashion shops…"

"Quite alright. Still, we simply must make a day of it sometime, just the three of us who appreciate the finer things. No offence of course."

"Ah can appreciate whatever, ah just don't care."

"The same I guess, but honestly I don't even know what that really means." Said Dash

"I like fine food. It's scrumdidlyumptious."

"Do you mean me?"

Rarity sighed at Fluttershy's question. Other than clothing the pegasus seemed to enjoy simple, and even then wasn't a tenth as focused on clothes as Rarity. Then it suddenly registered what she said and I smiled. I hoped it looked a little genuine at least. I really will never understand fashion. Maybe it won't be that bad.